Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: clutch pedal to the floor wont come up...cant put in gear....

Vehicles
      2013 MKVI GLI - Manual / 1998 MKIII Jetta GLX VR6 - Manual
      02-22-2012 05:56 PM #1
      i recently had my slave and master cylinder replaced (30 days ago). could it be one of these failing again, or is it perhaps something else more sinister? can anything else even cause this?

2. 02-22-2012 06:53 PM #2
      did you check the cable? happen to me once, the cable wasn't attach to the pedal.

good luck

Vehicles
      02-22-2012 08:06 PM #3
      it did seem attached, do you mean the metal pump master cylinder thing that is attached to the back of the clutch peddle that goes through the firewall?

Vehicles
      '88 caddy. C6 A6 avant. T4 westy.
      02-22-2012 08:26 PM #4
      he probably didn't realize your dealing with a VR.
      bleed the slave again, if that doesn't work then check your lines for any leaks.
      club.broke.status - collective.east
      Quote Originally Posted by Jake the dog
      Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something.

Vehicles
      02-22-2012 08:38 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by MKIII and Sons View Post
      bleed the slave again, if that doesn't work then check your lines for any leaks.
      yea the car is sitting in a parking lot right now, my friend is coming to pick me up and we're going to bleed it on site...hopefully that will get me going so i can bring it back to the shop that did the work. Theres only one line that it oculd be right? the metal line from the slave to the master or are there more than just that one?

6. 02-22-2012 08:48 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by MKIII and Sons View Post
      +1 ^^ my bad

Vehicles
      '88 caddy. C6 A6 avant. T4 westy.
      02-22-2012 08:52 PM #7
      there's a rubber line that goes from the reservoir to the firewall too.
      if your brakes are still fine then $10 it's your slave.
      club.broke.status - collective.east
      Quote Originally Posted by Jake the dog
      Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something.

Vehicles
      02-23-2012 12:34 PM #8
      well, i called the shop and they said they ruled out the slave by clamping off some hose (probably the one mk3 and sons mentioned) so that's good, but he said he thinks its the master that failed....which is really disappointing because I had just got it replaced a month ago. They shouldn't fail that fast should they? Is there anything that I can be doing wrong to make it break? It's not like im driving hard or anything like that. At least its covered under warranty.

Vehicles
      84 GTI, 06 Jetta TDI, 12 Golf TDI
      02-23-2012 12:52 PM #9
      sounds like the clutch release fork cracked and then bent away from the slave cylinder pushrod. You'll have to pull the trans out and replace the fork with a new one. While your in there replace the guide tube as well. You can also replace the fork with a re-enforced one as well if you want.

10. 02-23-2012 01:06 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyGTI View Post
      sounds like the clutch release fork cracked and then bent away from the slave cylinder pushrod. You'll have to pull the trans out and replace the fork with a new one. While your in there replace the guide tube as well. You can also replace the fork with a re-enforced one as well if you want.
      Don't think this is the case. You can take the slave cylinder off and operate the clutch as normal, it may feel lighter, but will return. If the arm broke the slave would still operate, thus pedal operates. just not do much.

What valve is mk3 and sons speaking of, interested in that direction. Also where did you get the master, was it rebuilt? They have a failure rate, even non rebuilt. Did you bench bleed the master? You can damage the seals if you don't.
      Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Did you know that it's not pronounced Em Kay ? ALL OF THE CAR LOUNGE WILL BE HAPPY TO LET YOU KNOW THAT. SERIOUSLY. IT STANDS FOR MARK. DID YOU KNOW THAT? BEFORE THAT A1,A2, A3, ETC WAS USED. LIVE UP TO TCL STANDARDS BEFORE YOU GET ON MY ASS. THAT'S DISGUSTING.
      Example of TCL's standards

Vehicles
      02-23-2012 01:06 PM #11
      whoa that sounds crazy. the mechanic seems to think its the master cylinder that failed (there was a lot of air in the lines when i attempted to bleed it). Would a cracked fork allow air to get into the system?

Vehicles
      2005 Outback XT, Truck, Boat, Quad
      02-23-2012 01:08 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by ZoomBy View Post
      whoa that sounds crazy. the mechanic seems to think its the master cylinder that failed (there was a lot of air in the lines when i attempted to bleed it). Would a cracked fork allow air to get into the system?
      where in CT are you? Might be able to help if you need it!

Vehicles
      02-23-2012 01:14 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by WakusPakus View Post
      where in CT are you? Might be able to help if you need it!
      I'm in New Britian, the car is at the shop now and I'm hoping it will just be the master cylinder thats the problem, but if its not and you are local enough, that would be definitely cool

Vehicles
      2005 Outback XT, Truck, Boat, Quad
      02-23-2012 01:30 PM #14
      I'm in New Britian, the car is at the shop now and I'm hoping it will just be the master cylinder thats the problem, but if its not and you are local enough, that would be definitely cool
      i used to go to college @ CCSU - i live close, middletown area

send me a PM, my good friend is my mechanic (privately) and has a lift/uber VW knowledge - always willing to help out a fellow VW'er/CT'er!

Vehicles
      02-25-2012 11:35 AM #15
      Just an update...I wonder if anyone ever heard of this. The mechanic realized that the inside of the master cylinder was destroyed. It happened on the one that was replaced a month ago and then again in less than 24 hours on the one they replaced yesterday. Anyone ever hear of this happening before? Like maybe my clutch peddle is off its pushing the plunger in the master too deep? Just seems weird.

16. 02-25-2012 06:40 PM #16
      No the clutch fork is out on the hydro system. The end of the push rod of slave pushes the top of the clutch release lever (aka fork), which contains the throw out bearing, to the pressure plate (on the bearing). If it were broken, operating the clutch would do nothing, but it would operate and have pressure. If it were jammed or bent you may not get the full range.

They did not bench bleed it They should pay for it, and do it right.

Perhaps also they are just saying that, and the clutch was just never bleed when it was replaced. They probably just bleed the brake side and called it a day. Did the clutch feel firm or loose? If you didn't drive the car hard you could have missed it.
      Last edited by emkaytree; 02-25-2012 at 06:43 PM.
      Did you know that it's not pronounced Em Kay ? ALL OF THE CAR LOUNGE WILL BE HAPPY TO LET YOU KNOW THAT. SERIOUSLY. IT STANDS FOR MARK. DID YOU KNOW THAT? BEFORE THAT A1,A2, A3, ETC WAS USED. LIVE UP TO TCL STANDARDS BEFORE YOU GET ON MY ASS. THAT'S DISGUSTING.

Vehicles
      02-28-2012 05:14 PM #17
      i saw the broken parts, i came in and wanted to check it out because it baffled me as well. They definitely bled it though because when I attempted to bleed it myself the first time it happened i was getting no where and I could hear fluid swishing around from the master cylinder. the problem is really odd and the only thing I can think is that they used the wrong master for the car, but would the wrong one even bolt up? maybe they are using a 2.0 cylinder? I have no way of knowing.

18. 02-28-2012 08:13 PM #18
      i saw the broken parts, i came in and wanted to check it out because it baffled me as well. They definitely bled it though because when I attempted to bleed it myself the first time it happened i was getting no where and I could hear fluid swishing around from the master cylinder. the problem is really odd and the only thing I can think is that they used the wrong master for the car, but would the wrong one even bolt up? maybe they are using a 2.0 cylinder? I have no way of knowing.
      A 2.0 mc would not work or fit.

You probably destroyed it yourself trying a regular bleed while the master was dry.
      http://www.ehow.com/video_2327999_be...-cylinder.html

Vehicles
      02-28-2012 08:25 PM #19
      nah thats not it either. The first one was swapped 30 days ago and last week it just stopped working. clutch pedal went to the floor and I couldnt move. I had it towed to the shop and they replaced it with another one. I picked my car up the next day and the same thing happened almost immediately. The mechanic looked at both masters and they were both damaged the same way. The inside of the piston in the master was blown up. Only the first one was bled by me, the second one had nothing done to it at all other than being removed and inspected after the failure.