Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Amp - CC Speaker replacement ? yay or nay

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 CC R-Line, & 2013 Tiguan SEL
      02-22-2012 08:01 PM #1
      Hi, I could do with some expert opinions here.

Up until a little while ago, I was going to try and keep the stock speakers on my 2012 CC. I am going to be having a Audison Bit 10, and a JL 700/5, five channel amp installed later this week, all off the RCD510 head unit..

The JL 5channel amp is rated at 75w RMS x4, and I'm now worried that this will be too much for the stock speakers to handle, and I'll just blow them.

So i guess I either need to get a lesser amp or upgrade the speakers to something more substantial.

I'm just not sure what's involved in replacing the speakers in all the four doors.. What replacement speaker is recommended for the CC ? that can be fitted without breaking the bank and no modding...

If no modding is not possible, what about keeping them, and just running with what I was going to? Or do you think that is just a no no ! OR keep the stock speakers and just get a lesser amp.

Advice please, as i said, all this was going to be installed at the end of the week, so any replies appreicated.

This car does not have the dynaudio.. just the standard 8 speaker Premium VIII RCD510 setup.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 CC Sport, 2.0T, 6MT, Iron Grey, Tinted Windows, VW DG Sport Springs, Neuspeed RSB, APR Stg I
      02-22-2012 08:47 PM #2
      Take some time, save some money, do it in stages... and upgrade the speakers along with your new amp.

I do recall that when I had my speakers upgraded, the stereo shop didn't just pop the new speakers in. They said that that would not be a good, tight fit. They made these little speaker mounts to help get a secure mounting to the door. The bass response of your speakers will partly depend on how securely they are mounted to the door. Again, save some money and have it done right (if you are not a DIY guy).

Good luck and happy listening.
      2009 2.0T, 6MT, Iron Grey Metallic, Tinted Windows, Blue Tooth, APR Stage I, VW DG Sport Springs, Neuspeed RSB
      Audio setup: Focal 165 KRX2 in the front (crossovers removed) powered by Rockford Fosgate T400-4 (one channel per speaker); ARC Audio KAR 265 in the rear powered by Alpine PDX-4.100 (bridged); 8" 250W Powered Bazooka Sub; RF 360.2 Digital Signal Processor

Vehicles
      2006 VW BT Passat
      02-22-2012 09:49 PM #3
      I ran a 70x4 amp on my stock speakers and they lasted fine over the 2 yrs i had them in.

Sound quality with amping the oem speakers was substantially better. And you can limit the bass going to them making it lesser of a chnace to blow the speakers.

You can also keep the gains turned down a little so the full power isnt getting blasted to them.

Go for it amping the stock speakers wont hurt you at all. Aftermarket components will sound better and hold the power better but if you want to do it in steps go for it, im happy i did
      Sent from my EVO
      Unitronic Stage III w/ PT5558BB Turbo Unitronic.ca, IE HPFP, 3in B&B TBE, BSH throttle pipe/27mm RSB/Endlinks , Forge 007 DV , RalcoRC/Forge SS, 42Draft Design CNC Shifter bushings, BFI stage 2 motor/tranny mounts, 034 Dogbone, KW V2 coilovers, Nuespeed 25mm FSB, Whiteline Anti-lift kit/Front control arm bushings, 18x8.5 VMR VB3s, JBL stereo, CTS Turbo 2.0t FSI Big turbo kit!

4. Member
      Vehicles
      02-23-2012 06:48 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Bill6211789 View Post
      I ran a 70x4 amp on my stock speakers and they lasted fine over the 2 yrs i had them in.

Sound quality with amping the oem speakers was substantially better. And you can limit the bass going to them making it lesser of a chnace to blow the speakers.

You can also keep the gains turned down a little so the full power isnt getting blasted to them.

Go for it amping the stock speakers wont hurt you at all. Aftermarket components will sound better and hold the power better but if you want to do it in steps go for it, im happy i did
      Sent from my EVO
      Great and thanks. I wonder, does anyone actually know what the RMS rating is on the stock speakers?

I'm never going to crank it up that much, looking more for a tight bass and clarity over the muddy distorting mess it is now.

Vehicles
      2010 CC Sport 2.0T (6M)
      02-23-2012 04:54 PM #5
      I just did this project and was surprised how hard I had to hunt for information. Hopefully, my recent install will help you with some of the parameters.

From what I have read, they will sound pretty good with a decent amp on them. But if you are going to go to the trouble of adding an amp, don't try to match it to the OEM speakers. Pick out some nice component sets that you will add later and get an amp to drive those. You can set the inputs up to not overdrive your stock speakers; then, redo it when you get some good speakers.

I was impatient and had a local shop do my amp, speakers and line output EQ correction converter all at once. Was glad I did. They did a great job and, afterward, said that if they had to do it again, they would have charged me a lot more.

There are always surprises with German cars. For instance, if you want to use the factory mounts, the easiest thing to do is cut the factory speakers out. I had seen this on the internet before the install and wasn't surprised or hesitant when the audio shop called and asked if I minded if they took a knife to the factory speakers.

Also, you will find conflicting information on what size speakers will fit the front versus the rear door. I can tell you that 6.5" woofers and 1" tweeters will fit the factory location without spacers if you use the factory rings (at least the way my guys did it). For the front mid tweet, I went with a 3" just to be on the safe side, but I recall reading that it will take a 4" speaker. As for depth, my front speakers had a top mount depth of 2.63". My rears had a tmd of 2.5".

6. Member
      Vehicles
      02-23-2012 09:04 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by dcbc View Post
      I just did this project and was surprised how hard I had to hunt for information. Hopefully, my recent install will help you with some of the parameters.

From what I have read, they will sound pretty good with a decent amp on them. But if you are going to go to the trouble of adding an amp, don't try to match it to the OEM speakers. Pick out some nice component sets that you will add later and get an amp to drive those. You can set the inputs up to not overdrive your stock speakers; then, redo it when you get some good speakers.

I was impatient and had a local shop do my amp, speakers and line output EQ correction converter all at once. Was glad I did. They did a great job and, afterward, said that if they had to do it again, they would have charged me a lot more.

There are always surprises with German cars. For instance, if you want to use the factory mounts, the easiest thing to do is cut the factory speakers out. I had seen this on the internet before the install and wasn't surprised or hesitant when the audio shop called and asked if I minded if they took a knife to the factory speakers.

Also, you will find conflicting information on what size speakers will fit the front versus the rear door. I can tell you that 6.5" woofers and 1" tweeters will fit the factory location without spacers if you use the factory rings (at least the way my guys did it). For the front mid tweet, I went with a 3" just to be on the safe side, but I recall reading that it will take a 4" speaker. As for depth, my front speakers had a top mount depth of 2.63". My rears had a tmd of 2.5".
      Thanks !! This is the most useful post I've read on the whole project. Right now, I simply do not have the clearance from the missus to spend out any extra on the speakers, so I'm going to run with the stocks for now.. As above, using the 5 channel XD7005 tamed down. I'll repost tomorrow to let everyone know how good it sounds. I'll probably will get the speakers done at a later date and be able to compare. All in all, the Audison Bit Ten, XD7005 amp and sub, along with all the cables and install is going to cost me $1500.

My main concern was / is frying the oems, but it sounds like taming down the amp is all i need to do.

Do you recall which actual model speakers you used? Even so, it still seems its going to take some modding, beyond my skills and all at more than I'm willing to pay right now.. Only bought the car two weeks ago, and that's already put a hole in my pocket.

Thanks once again.

Vehicles
      2006 VW BT Passat
      02-24-2012 01:44 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDoc46 View Post
      Thanks !! This is the most useful post I've read on the whole project. Right now, I simply do not have the clearance from the missus to spend out any extra on the speakers, so I'm going to run with the stocks for now.. As above, using the 5 channel XD7005 tamed down. I'll repost tomorrow to let everyone know how good it sounds. I'll probably will get the speakers done at a later date and be able to compare. All in all, the Audison Bit Ten, XD7005 amp and sub, along with all the cables and install is going to cost me $1500.

My main concern was / is frying the oems, but it sounds like taming down the amp is all i need to do.

Do you recall which actual model speakers you used? Even so, it still seems its going to take some modding, beyond my skills and all at more than I'm willing to pay right now.. Only bought the car two weeks ago, and that's already put a hole in my pocket.

Thanks once again.
      Im running JBL MS Series components they sound absolutely amazing. I would highly recommend using a sound dampening material on the door (i didn't do it when i installed an i regret it and also to turn the rear tweeters to there minimal output, being right behind your head they can be very overpowering
      Unitronic Stage III w/ PT5558BB Turbo Unitronic.ca, IE HPFP, 3in B&B TBE, BSH throttle pipe/27mm RSB/Endlinks , Forge 007 DV , RalcoRC/Forge SS, 42Draft Design CNC Shifter bushings, BFI stage 2 motor/tranny mounts, 034 Dogbone, KW V2 coilovers, Nuespeed 25mm FSB, Whiteline Anti-lift kit/Front control arm bushings, 18x8.5 VMR VB3s, JBL stereo, CTS Turbo 2.0t FSI Big turbo kit!

Vehicles
      2010 CC Sport 2.0T (6M)
      02-24-2012 09:43 AM #8

Thanks once again.
      Here are the speakers. The first listed were the most reasonably priced speakers with good reviews I could find in a 3 way that were still available at that time (there were some distribution issues with the Vibe Space 6 and the tweeter may have been too big).

MTX RE-Q5 to correct the EQ and output 4 channels line level.

Polk PA 500.4 4-channel amp (90 watts per channel RMS).

Front Stage: CDT CL6E32 3-Way 6/3/1 Component

Rear Stage: CDT CL-61A/TW-24 2-way Component

Purchased the speakers from Woofers Etc. Purchased the Amp refurbed from Polk's Ebay Store. Got the ReQ5 from an Amazon seller.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      02-24-2012 10:42 AM #9
      Here are the speakers. The first listed were the most reasonably priced speakers with good reviews I could find in a 3 way that were still available at that time (there were some distribution issues with the Vibe Space 6 and the tweeter may have been too big).

MTX RE-Q5 to correct the EQ and output 4 channels line level.

Polk PA 500.4 4-channel amp (90 watts per channel RMS).

Front Stage: CDT CL6E32 3-Way 6/3/1 Component

Rear Stage: CDT CL-61A/TW-24 2-way Component

Purchased the speakers from Woofers Etc. Purchased the Amp refurbed from Polk's Ebay Store. Got the ReQ5 from an Amazon seller.
      Excellent info once again.

My car is currently in the auto audio store as i type this. Staying with the stock speakers for now and they're turning down the gain, until a later date as to when I can upgrade to the CDT's you spec'd.

My amp is a 5 channel JL XD700/5 So with that extra channel I'll be powering a small enclosed subwoofer. I'm not after windows shaking 3 miles down the road. This will be just to help with the warmth of some sub bass.

For my equalization, I'm going with an Audison Bit/10, instead of an REQ5. I thought what the heck, it'll all come with me in any future cars, so may aswell get all decent stuff now.. The only thing that is disposable is the speakers, so if I'm happy with the sound, and i'm sure I will be, then I may just keep the stock speakers.

Two weeks ago, I was driving an Audi A4 cab, and the integrated audio, was with no sub, but it definately had more presence than the CC's and was fine enough for me to not ever look at upgrading. However I didn't find it the same on the CC which prompted me to go out and figure out a way to improve.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      02-24-2012 10:55 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Bill6211789 View Post
      Im running JBL MS Series components they sound absolutely amazing. I would highly recommend using a sound dampening material on the door (i didn't do it when i installed an i regret it and also to turn the rear tweeters to there minimal output, being right behind your head they can be very overpowering
      Hey Bill, on these JLB's MS's was that for the front / back or both? Actually looking at your profile it says you have a B6, not a CC. Is that correct, so possibly not suited for a CC ?

I'm trying to price up what my best options are for me on a CC if I eventually did decide to replace the stock speakers with something else. So far DCBC's post on the CDTs look like the best bet, providing you cut out the stock and use the existing brackets.

But of course, its good to weigh up all options.

Vehicles
      2010 CC Sport 2.0T (6M)
      02-24-2012 11:15 AM #11
      Excellent info once again.

My car is currently in the auto audio store as i type this. Staying with the stock speakers for now and they're turning down the gain, until a later date as to when I can upgrade to the CDT's you spec'd.

My amp is a 5 channel JL XD700/5 So with that extra channel I'll be powering a small enclosed subwoofer. I'm not after windows shaking 3 miles down the road. This will be just to help with the warmth of some sub bass.

For my equalization, I'm going with an Audison Bit/10, instead of an REQ5. I thought what the heck, it'll all come with me in any future cars, so may aswell get all decent stuff now.. The only thing that is disposable is the speakers, so if I'm happy with the sound, and i'm sure I will be, then I may just keep the stock speakers.

Two weeks ago, I was driving an Audi A4 cab, and the integrated audio, was with no sub, but it definately had more presence than the CC's and was fine enough for me to not ever look at upgrading. However I didn't find it the same on the CC which prompted me to go out and figure out a way to improve.
      Sounds like a good plan. I definitely am happy with my choice with the CDT speakers, but go spend some time over on diymobileaudio.com and decide what's best for you and your budget. Lots of choices out there (although admittedly fewer when it comes to 3-ways if you decide to go that route).

For the sub, I am probably going to take a hard look at the JBL GTO series. They get rave reviews and are under $100.

12. 02-24-2012 11:54 AM #12
      Ditch the rear tweet when it comes time for replacing them. They are inches from your ears and draw the sound back to quick. Just run a nice 2 way in the lower door or go custom in rear deck.

Vehicles
      2010 CC Sport 2.0T (6M)
      02-24-2012 12:18 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Trade-N-Games View Post
      Ditch the rear tweet when it comes time for replacing them. They are inches from your ears and draw the sound back to quick. Just run a nice 2 way in the lower door or go custom in rear deck.
      From reading a lot of your posts prior to my upgrade, this is definitely something I considered doing, but ultimately did not. Though I have not noticed any excessive highs from the rear tweets, I have considered fading the sound to the front stage a bit more. But when I looked in my music settings on the RCD 510, I was surprised to not see a fade setting. Is there one and, if there is, where is it in the menus?

I suppose I could drop my rear gains at the amp if I needed to.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      02-24-2012 03:04 PM #14
      From reading a lot of your posts prior to my upgrade, this is definitely something I considered doing, but ultimately did not. Though I have not noticed any excessive highs from the rear tweets, I have considered fading the sound to the front stage a bit more. But when I looked in my music settings on the RCD 510, I was surprised to not see a fade setting. Is there one and, if there is, where is it in the menus?

We'll there's definately one on mine.. I'm wondering if it knows that nothing's connected to the rear or front speakers, since the MTX is tapped into only one set. It's all on the tone controls button on the top left of the unit.

Interesting. I thought you'd still have the ability to control fade & balance and tone controls via the HU, even using a LOC.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      02-24-2012 03:08 PM #15
      We'll there's definately one on mine.. I'm wondering if it knows that nothing's connected to the rear or front speakers, since the MTX is tapped into only one set. It's all on the tone controls button on the top left of the unit.

Interesting. I thought you'd still have the ability to control fade & balance and tone controls via the HU, even using a LOC.
      Sorry, that's the tone button on the TOP RIGHT of the unit !

Vehicles
      2006 VW BT Passat
      02-24-2012 04:07 PM #16
      Hey Bill, on these JLB's MS's was that for the front / back or both? Actually looking at your profile it says you have a B6, not a CC. Is that correct, so possibly not suited for a CC ?

I'm trying to price up what my best options are for me on a CC if I eventually did decide to replace the stock speakers with something else. So far DCBC's post on the CDTs look like the best bet, providing you cut out the stock and use the existing brackets.

But of course, its good to weigh up all options.
      I have the same setup in the front and rear. The passat and cc have the same speaker set up.

The reason i didnt go with a 3 way set up in the front doors is bc of the price. 800+ (focals were all i found at the time of install and they were $3k iirc) for just the fronts and i want all JBL. Later on i can add mids if i really want to for about 300-400$ but right now with the quality of the sound i have its not needed.

Sent from my EVO
      Last edited by Bill6211789; 02-24-2012 at 04:13 PM.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 CC Sport, 2.0T, 6MT, Iron Grey, Tinted Windows, VW DG Sport Springs, Neuspeed RSB, APR Stg I
      02-24-2012 04:47 PM #17
      This is what I did on mine, dropped the rear gain. Those rear tweets are awfully close to your head and I wanted a forward biased stereo image.

I believe the issues id'd above with speaker mounting in German cars is what I encountered and alluded to in a prior post. So again, the speaker mounting is not so straight-forward.
      2009 2.0T, 6MT, Iron Grey Metallic, Tinted Windows, Blue Tooth, APR Stage I, VW DG Sport Springs, Neuspeed RSB
      Audio setup: Focal 165 KRX2 in the front (crossovers removed) powered by Rockford Fosgate T400-4 (one channel per speaker); ARC Audio KAR 265 in the rear powered by Alpine PDX-4.100 (bridged); 8" 250W Powered Bazooka Sub; RF 360.2 Digital Signal Processor

18. Member
      Vehicles
      02-24-2012 05:03 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by irongrey View Post
      This is what I did on mine, dropped the rear gain. Those rear tweets are awfully close to your head and I wanted a forward biased stereo image.

I believe the issues id'd above with speaker mounting in German cars is what I encountered and alluded to in a prior post. So again, the speaker mounting is not so straight-forward.
      Do you think its possible just to get two pairs of 6.5 2-way's? and be done with it? Surely has got to be better than the stock speakers? and be done away with all the complicated mounting?

19. 02-24-2012 05:51 PM #19
      Quick jack---- What dash kit looks the best for aftermarket head unit??? Metra or Scosch?

On Topic
      Just speakers 2ways would not be much better. the fronts sound much better if you can get a little more power to them. I did my head unit in my first last Dub and the stock speakers were amazing.

Vehicles
      2006 VW BT Passat
      02-24-2012 07:46 PM #20
      Do you think its possible just to get two pairs of 6.5 2-way's? and be done with it? Surely has got to be better than the stock speakers? and be done away with all the complicated mounting?
      You could but quality wise you're going to lose out

Sent from my EVO

21. Member
      Vehicles
      02-25-2012 05:52 AM #21

Well I can confirm that after my install of the Audison Bit/10 and amp, that I no longer have my fader option. It's gone ! All my other controls are there, such as balance, mid, bass, treble etc, but fader is gone.

As far as the install went, it went WAY over what the shop was expecting. Actually they spent from 10am to 7pm on the install. They've done a great job on the wiring mind. Not sure exactly how I'm going to get to my stuff to play around with any dials, since its behind the carpet in the spare area over the rear arch. Everything has been installed professionally, no doubt. It was a Friday night, their guys wanted to get home, i wanted to get home, so the system wasn't correctly tuned. I will be going back in a week or two to have that part resolved. It sounded good, but not OMG this is unbelieveably great. But I think that's partially down to running out of time on tuning. It really was a v.quick tune and on my way.

My biggest concern is the amount of time it took for the install. I invested a good amount of money in the assumption that it would be coming with me to my next cars, but if its taken them 9hrs to get in, then surely it's going to take htem a few hrs to remove and equally the same amount of time to put in to any future car. If labor is going to cost $80, then this is a concern !

Admitedly they did say they had not worked on my car before so it was a learning experience, and they are perfectionists so everything has to be metaciously done. I don't believe they took any short cuts on the physical install.. Perhaps the final touches on the cross over freq and tuning, but as i said, the shop had closed and they were still finishing up on the install, and they did say, you're going to need to come back for the tuning.

Anyway, I'll report back after a few days of listening, once i figure out how to use this Audison Bit 10 EQ, which in all honesty looks like you need to be a sound engineer to figure out.

Vehicles
      2006 VW BT Passat
      02-25-2012 06:01 AM #22
      Well I can confirm that after my install of the Audison Bit/10 and amp, that I no longer have my fader option. It's gone ! All my other controls are there, such as balance, mid, bass, treble etc, but fader is gone.

As far as the install went, it went WAY over what the shop was expecting. Actually they spent from 10am to 7pm on the install. They've done a great job on the wiring mind. Not sure exactly how I'm going to get to my stuff to play around with any dials, since its behind the carpet in the spare area over the rear arch. Everything has been installed professionally, no doubt. It was a Friday night, their guys wanted to get home, i wanted to get home, so the system wasn't correctly tuned. I will be going back in a week or two to have that part resolved. It sounded good, but not OMG this is unbelieveably great. But I think that's partially down to running out of time on tuning. It really was a v.quick tune and on my way.

My biggest concern is the amount of time it took for the install. I invested a good amount of money in the assumption that it would be coming with me to my next cars, but if its taken them 9hrs to get in, then surely it's going to take htem a few hrs to remove and equally the same amount of time to put in to any future car. If labor is going to cost $80, then this is a concern !

Admitedly they did say they had not worked on my car before so it was a learning experience, and they are perfectionists so everything has to be metaciously done. I don't believe they took any short cuts on the physical install.. Perhaps the final touches on the cross over freq and tuning, but as i said, the shop had closed and they were still finishing up on the install, and they did say, you're going to need to come back for the tuning.

Anyway, I'll report back after a few days of listening, once i figure out how to use this Audison Bit 10 EQ, which in all honesty looks like you need to be a sound engineer to figure out.
      I dont understand why your fade doesnt work, when u move it in either direction does the sound at any point turn off?

If you used a 5ch loc you should have all 4 chs going into it the bal and fad should work as they do from the factory.

And the amount of time is no Surprise, it took me roughly 6 hrs to install, sub, power cables, run the speaker wire, new head unit and all of its bits and pieces then installing the 4ch amp and the single ch sub amp.

The on a different day i did the components install and that was another 8 or so hours start to finish.

Very long job

Sent from my EVO

23. 02-25-2012 04:12 PM #23
      I dont have a fade button for front to rear on mine. I think if I went to the dealer and got a update flash it would be installed but Im getting ready to put a new head unit in so I dont care.

Vehicles
      2006 VW BT Passat
      02-25-2012 05:53 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Trade-N-Games View Post
      I dont have a fade button for front to rear on mine. I think if I went to the dealer and got a update flash it would be installed but Im getting ready to put a new head unit in so I dont care.
      You mean your HU has no fade at all in the settings?

Sent from my EVO

Vehicles
      2012 M3/2010 CC
      02-27-2012 06:09 AM #25
      The OEM HU Fader adjustment display is determined by the speaker impedance detection.

No speaker impedance detected by the OEM HU = no Fader adjustment.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      02-27-2012 07:05 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by M3Tech View Post
      The OEM HU Fader adjustment display is determined by the speaker impedance detection.

No speaker impedance detected by the OEM HU = no Fader adjustment.
      It's no big deal for me, since I have an Audison Bit/10 in which i can control the fader via my laptop and the Audison software. Not sure how you'd control it with an MTX-Q5 though? Something for people to consider if they're going with a less controllable LOC.

Vehicles
      2010 CC Sport 2.0T (6M)
      02-27-2012 11:17 AM #27

I got several estimates in writing before I had mine done. The shop that did it kept it nearly a week and worked on it when not working on projects for customers who bought their components from the shop (this was understood from the get go and they are the ones I wanted working on it - plus, their price was very good). Afterward, they said they would probably have quoted me double if they had it to do over again.

As for speaker cost, the CDT 3-ways ran me $299. If I had not run across these, I would have gone with 2-ways. The guy who did my install was pretty impressed with them, particularly the bass response in the rears.

I still have my balance control, but no fader in my tone menu. I did have it before the install IIRC. They must have just tied in the fronts.
      Last edited by dcbc; 02-27-2012 at 11:24 AM.

Vehicles
      2010 CC Sport 2.0T (6M)
      02-27-2012 11:22 AM #28
      It's no big deal for me, since I have an Audison Bit/10 in which i can control the fader via my laptop and the Audison software. Not sure how you'd control it with an MTX-Q5 though? Something for people to consider if they're going with a less controllable LOC.
      The ReQ5 has enough controls to dial the levels up and down just like the amp. Mine is installed under the driver's seat and easy enough to access. The way they set mine up, the rear tweeters aren't bothering me.

Here is a picture of the ReQ5.

29. 02-27-2012 05:49 PM #29
      So I have been doing [a little bit] of research since I too want to upgrade my stereo [can't stand stock] and going to be adding amps to my stock HU -- though ReQ5 seems to be a common suggestion, others have suggest AudioControl [not sure which mode] as well -- thoughts...?
      | Mark | 2011 CC R-Line DSG |

30. 02-28-2012 11:59 PM #30
      I just wrote a massive post only to have it time out and now I don't feel like writing it again. Sorry.

Here is the abbreviated version.

Your fader doesn't work because the front speaker outputs are sending a signal to the Bit10. The rear speaker outputs on the radio are not hooked up. The Bit10 has independent level controls and you can adjust the front-to-rear fade through the Audison computer software. Using the gain on the amp to do this will "work" but is the incorrect method.

READ THIS PART:

The way your installer hooked this up (at least what I have derived from your posts) is sad. Bring that thing back and tell them you want an active front stage. He should hook the rear speakers back up to the radio (fader will work again) and power the front tweeters from two channels of the amp and the front midbass from the other two channels. Sub stays put. This will allow you to take FULL ADVANTAGE of the electronic crossover, time alignment, independent level control, and eq functions the Bit10 has to offer.

You have all of the equipment you need to accomplish this and will only need some more speaker wire. Don't let them sell you anything else!

Oh, btw... The oem speakers will absolutely JAM with that setup. Save your money.
      Last edited by bugaudiophile; 02-29-2012 at 12:04 AM. Reason: added content
      2012 GTI

Vehicles
      2010 CC Sport 2.0T (6M)
      02-29-2012 10:27 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by xx4u2nvxx View Post
      So I have been doing [a little bit] of research since I too want to upgrade my stereo [can't stand stock] and going to be adding amps to my stock HU -- though ReQ5 seems to be a common suggestion, others have suggest AudioControl [not sure which mode] as well -- thoughts...?
      To do all of the channels with audiocontrol, you would need to do a pair of Lc2i's. The Lc6i does not do eq correction. I bought one originally and had to sell it when I discovered this.

32. Member
      Vehicles
      03-03-2012 04:07 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by bugaudiophile View Post
      I just wrote a massive post only to have it time out and now I don't feel like writing it again. Sorry.

Here is the abbreviated version.

Your fader doesn't work because the front speaker outputs are sending a signal to the Bit10. The rear speaker outputs on the radio are not hooked up. The Bit10 has independent level controls and you can adjust the front-to-rear fade through the Audison computer software. Using the gain on the amp to do this will "work" but is the incorrect method.

READ THIS PART:

The way your installer hooked this up (at least what I have derived from your posts) is sad. Bring that thing back and tell them you want an active front stage. He should hook the rear speakers back up to the radio (fader will work again) and power the front tweeters from two channels of the amp and the front midbass from the other two channels. Sub stays put. This will allow you to take FULL ADVANTAGE of the electronic crossover, time alignment, independent level control, and eq functions the Bit10 has to offer.

You have all of the equipment you need to accomplish this and will only need some more speaker wire. Don't let them sell you anything else!

Oh, btw... The oem speakers will absolutely JAM with that setup. Save your money.
      I'll ask them to go with an active front stage, once I get round to upgrading the speakers. Right now, the system is sounding pretty good to me. I had a tweak on the Bit/10 via my computer and tuned it more to my liking. The problem is, what sounds good for one genre of music, may not sound good for another. So I can see myself forever tweaking. Unfortunately all of last week, I had to fly away on business, so I have'nt really had a chance to fully settle in and get a proper impression. All that I've had so far was quick drives around my neighborhood and sitting in the garage. A lot of the distortion that was evident on the stock HU amplification is gone, so I may just stick with the way it is.. Another week or so or driving to work and back, will be what is needed to really get a feel if it's what I'm happy with.

33. Member
      Vehicles
      03-03-2012 04:17 PM #33
      What do mean by that?

Like sound good if you go with your recommended active front setup?

Or sound crap and save your money.

i'm guessing you're probably saying the latter, but in general when you say JAM, you associate that with a positive meaning when it comes to music. Hence my questioning.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      03-03-2012 11:31 PM #34
      Bring that thing back and tell them you want an active front stage. He should hook the rear speakers back up to the radio (fader will work again) and power the front tweeters from two channels of the amp and the front midbass from the other two channels. Sub stays put. This will allow you to take FULL ADVANTAGE of the electronic crossover, time alignment, independent level control, and eq functions the Bit10 has to offer.
      Yes! This is how I have mine set up except I use the RF 360.2. I have a channel for each of the 4 front speaks and have deleted the hardware crossover (added power drain and distortion). I control the crossovers, EQ, and time delay with my DSP and it sounds great. Highly recommended if you can do it.

35. 03-04-2012 02:54 PM #35
      What do mean by that?

Like sound good if you go with your recommended active front setup?

Or sound crap and save your money.

i'm guessing you're probably saying the latter, but in general when you say JAM, you associate that with a positive meaning when it comes to music. Hence my questioning.
      The OEM speakers will sound excellent with the extra power and active crossover.
      2012 GTI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast