Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 26 of 127 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676126 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to your 2.5L today?

Vehicles
      2012 Tornado Red Beetle Turbo
      05-30-2012 08:28 AM #626
      Quote Originally Posted by SocoJoe View Post
      Changed my oil, rotated my tires, and cleaned my cold air filter. All in prep for my road trip down to Charlotte on Friday.
      Hey, come out to our little GTG on Sunday.

1:30 here: http://www.urbanspoon.com/u/map/4202...ings-Charlotte
      “Some say that he’s a CIA experiment that went wrong, and that he only eats cheese. All we know is he’s not the Stig, but he is the Stig’s American Cousin.”

Vehicles
      01001011010011110 1010010
      05-30-2012 09:18 AM #627
      Quote Originally Posted by tay272 View Post
      How come youre getting a BBK?
      Local bought a brembo bbk for his 2010 Wolfy for looks and he's trading the car in for something else. As I figured my wheels don't fit over them 18" is the smallest that'll clear them. Guess I'll just get new oem stuff
      "The Vile Bunch" ll v2lab ll eemilitiatv ll Stay Orange.
      2008 Mkv-sold; 2003 yellow SRT-4-sold; 2009 G8 GT-sold; 1991 Talon TSI- fully built-sold ; 2011 Mk6

Vehicles
      '09 Racekor
      05-30-2012 10:30 AM #628
      Quote Originally Posted by Fudgey Memory View Post
      Hey, come out to our little GTG on Sunday.

1:30 here: http://www.urbanspoon.com/u/map/4202...ings-Charlotte
      Yeah I should make it out to that.

Vehicles
      08' Rabbit (Lifted), 07' Rabbit, 04 Audi S4, 93 Audi 100s, 97 zx6r Fighter Project
      05-30-2012 10:40 AM #629
      I worked on my coolant tank for my awic setup. It will fit in the stock battery location. My first tig welding project. I still need to turn 2 more 3/4 npt bungs, and weld in a cap.

Vehicles
      '08 2.5Turbo Rabbit
      05-31-2012 03:03 AM #630
      installed new OEM powder coated red gti brakes today...

red carriers and red calipers... i'm happy to have larger rears to help match the front porsche boxster calipers up front... tomorrow i'm doing new pads up front. rotors are nearly brand new!
      god i love my car. it may not be fast, but it's crazy fun!

C2 stage 2 TURBO!!! ACHTUNG!!! 2.5liter 5cylinder contents under pressure!!!

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Golf 2.5l
      06-01-2012 12:49 AM #631
      Installed splash guards today.

Vehicles
      2005.5/08 Jetta 2.5T
      06-01-2012 07:53 PM #632
      got it flashed today

United Motorsports 2.5T

Vehicles
      '09 Racekor
      06-01-2012 11:49 PM #633
      Drove it 300 miles to Charlotte for a week.

Vehicles
      2008 Jetta S (RIP) 2011 Golf TDI Malone Stg 1
      06-02-2012 12:02 AM #634

Finally was able to bring it home!!!!!
      Last edited by SilverJetta2.5; 06-02-2012 at 12:15 AM.
      I may not be that low, but I sure ain't slow either.

Vehicles
      08 Rabbit UM SRI Stage 2, 06 Touareg
      06-02-2012 06:44 PM #635
      Installed an Optima battery

There were no optima batteries that are available for the car (checked Autozone and Pep Boys). So I had to do a good visual measuring and found that the 34R series battery will fit fine in the stock battery area. The only thing is the positive terminal. That has to be modified to a flat/straight terminal rather than the stock "L" shaped one. All in all it works and I can still use the stock battery cover.

Cleaned up my seats

Oh and gave her a quick wash

Last edited by Cherb32; 06-02-2012 at 06:50 PM.

Vehicles
      09 JSW; 07 WE
      06-03-2012 08:12 PM #636
      The status update.
      Finally installed my ST coilovers and lowered it. Mild by vortex standards, but I like it, although there is certainly some adjusting to do before getting it aligned. I think the front needs to come down a bit still. I have ~8-10 threads up front (2.5 cm or ~1 inch between the bottom perch and upper end link mount) and about the same amount of threads in the back.

The installation.
      This was my first time doing a suspension install and I was doing it solo, so it took me a lot longer than I was expecting. Did the rears first and they were pretty much a breeze. The hardest part was threading the lower strut bolt without forcing it. Then I moved to the driver's side front. From the get-go I was planning to do it the official Bentley route (removing ball join bolts that hold the hub to the LCA and axle removal). I did this on the driver's side. First problem encountered was that the axle was completely stuck in the hub. Had to run to AutoZone in the sportwagen and rent a "hub puller" part number 27037. In my opinion this should be called a hub pusher, as it mounts to the hub with wheel bolts, and a shaft is turned to push the axle out of the hub. I attached a 17mm deep socket to compensate for a short shaft on the tool. That slowly/safely pushed the axle out. Looks like the splines of the axle were rusted to the splines in the hub. Axle out, invaluable metalnerd strut spreader inserted, the strut came out pretty easily. The part part was putting it all back together. Doing this part solo was a pain in the ass. The hub assembly is pretty heavy and I didn't want to put too much pressure on any part of the axle. I've read stories of the CV join getting f'ed or the axle falling out of the transmission with too much trauma applied, so I was pretty worried about messing something up. The steps I used to get the assembly back together is this: reconnected hub to LCA, inserted/aligned strut to hub, turned wheel fully left, inserted axle, aligned axle splines, and then used the old axle bolt to pull it into the hub. On the passenger side, I used the 2x4 method with spring compressors and did not remove the axle. Did this side in about 1.5 hours total.

The verdict.
      Install was a bit of a PITA (the driver's side mostly), but I'm glad I did it myself. Learned a lot and saved some money. Next time I might try the 2x4 method on both sides. The coils in their current setup feel like the stock suspension but maybe just a bit more feeling of the road. No noises at all. I've yet to fully test out handling, but I'm very pleased so far.
      Last edited by truwagen; 04-29-2013 at 08:28 AM.

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta, 2008 Jetta RIP
      06-03-2012 09:12 PM #637
      Used it for a picture of the sunset.

Vehicles
      MKV Rabbit / MKII Golf ABA (project)
      06-03-2012 11:19 PM #638
      Havent been on here in a while but

tucked my fusebox

DSCN9585 by spartanrabbit09, on Flickr
      Instagram: chirpchirpp

FS: 2009 Rabbit cloth seats
      FS: 18" Huffs with tires

Vehicles
      2008 Jetta S (RIP) 2011 Golf TDI Malone Stg 1
      06-03-2012 11:19 PM #639
      Washed it, hand rubbed a few scratches out of it, hand rubbed all flat surfaces with Mirror Glaze, Waxed the entire car, cleaned winter out of door jambs, detailed interior and finished under hood, fixed a few items, cleaned wheels, and went for a drive

Last edited by SilverJetta2.5; 06-04-2012 at 01:52 AM.
      I may not be that low, but I sure ain't slow either.

Vehicles
      06-04-2012 10:54 AM #640
      I have two mkv Rabbits now, so I'm looking for something to do to my CW to keep me from getting rid of it. The UG is completely stock, fresh slate for me to start over I guess. Went to trade the CW in on a BRZ limited and the dealer won't take it because it has far to many modifications... So either looking to trade it for a mk4 R32 plus cash on my end, or I'm talking to a few people on a few non VW's but its looking like I may be trading it for a stanced 350z. I would say its a fair trade off. Faster, more power, a little lighter I think, similar mpg, and RWD for hooning fun!
      2008 Mkv-sold; 2003 yellow SRT-4-sold; 2009 G8 GT-sold; 1991 Talon TSI- fully built-sold ; 2011 Mk6

Vehicles
      2013 4-Door GTI (Sold), 2008 Rabbit (Sold)
      06-04-2012 12:11 PM #641
      Quote Originally Posted by kevin FaKiN spLits View Post
      I have two mkv Rabbits now, so I'm looking for something to do to my CW to keep me from getting rid of it. The UG is completely stock, fresh slate for me to start over I guess. Went to trade the CW in on a BRZ limited and the dealer won't take it because it has far to many modifications... So either looking to trade it for a mk4 R32 plus cash on my end, or I'm talking to a few people on a few non VW's but its looking like I may be trading it for a stanced 350z. I would say its a fair trade off. Faster, more power, a little lighter I think, similar mpg, and RWD for hooning fun!

What sort of mods do you have on your CW that make it untradeable?

Vehicles
      06-04-2012 12:29 PM #642
      Quote Originally Posted by cbs_24 View Post
      What sort of mods do you have on your CW that make it untradeable?
      Different ecu for one. Non Rabbit interior parts. Coilovers, and I lengthened and tucked a lot of hoses, harnesses, plus I told them they can take it with the 6 speed transmission, or I can give them the Rabbit with the 5 speed that doesn't have 1st gear.

Subie dealer won't touch the car. Even tho I said on the lot it'll sell in a week. They don't care, won't pass trade in inspection because it doesn't generally match the dealer window sticker when the car was purchased new. Trade or private sell is my only option. Even if I put it back to stock I'm pretty sure its blacklisted at that dealer, and besides it won't have the factory ecu no matter what

Vehicles
      '08 2.5Turbo Rabbit
      06-04-2012 02:00 PM #643
      having a chipped ecu is NOT something they black list a car over...

it is either one of 2 things...
      1: janky looking install stuff. if it looks anything shy of oem dealer level install (i doubt dealer install could ever compare to what we do) they wont go near it.
      or
      2: they don't want to deal with a car that looks like it's been beat! if they see anything outside of what a "rabbit" looks like they're scared. subarus sell all the time on their lots with COBB tuning access ports and i'm sure tons of mods...
      BUT guess what ones are first to sell! the oem NON abused/molested car every single time...

even us car guys would rather buy an untouched car over a built one (unless you're not really a car guy) because we know just as well as that dealer knows there is always something that needs fixing. and if THEY can't put their reputation on YOUR work they'll pass!

i digress a CHIP won't matter to a dealer...A overly played with car will...
      look at it like this...
      a mod list like lets say, new gti bumper, gti seats, new headlights, steering wheel. and lowered on coils....

to a dealer that car was in a collison, needed all those new parts and you bought from wrecking yard all of the parts to do the repair...

get it? it sucks but its life

Vehicles
      08 Rabbit UM SRI Stage 2, 06 Touareg
      06-04-2012 05:20 PM #644
      Quote Originally Posted by TylerO28 View Post

1: janky looking install stuff. if it looks anything shy of oem dealer level install (i doubt dealer install could ever compare to what we do) they wont go near it.
      or
      2: they don't want to deal with a car that looks like it's been beat! if they see anything outside of what a "rabbit" looks like they're scared. subarus sell all the time on their lots with COBB tuning access ports and i'm sure tons of mods...
      BUT guess what ones are first to sell! the oem NON abused/molested car every single time...

even us car guys would rather buy an untouched car over a built one (unless you're not really a car guy) because we know just as well as that dealer knows there is always something that needs fixing. and if THEY can't put their reputation on YOUR work they'll pass!

look at it like this...
      a mod list like lets say, new gti bumper, gti seats, new headlights, steering wheel. and lowered on coils....

to a dealer that car was in a collison, needed all those new parts and you bought from wrecking yard all of the parts to do the repair...

x99999

Its why people bring their cars back to stock before they sell it. Hell I wouldnt take any car that looks like it has been molested....smh

Vehicles
      06-04-2012 06:28 PM #645

or

look at it like this...

which nothing on my car is jank. Everything was done so clean and well even with the billet valve cover didn't throw them any hint. The deciding factor was they wanted to inspect it before they gave me a trade in offer, and I said ok... They took it across the lot to the VW garage and scanned it, my car has a new ecu from dealer replacement and I guess they did not do something right because the ecu reads another vin other than mine. That's the only reason. Only after that they said it had to much work for them to take the risk of it sitting on the lot. On the 3 piece wheels it would have gone in a week for 12k or so. VW would have taken it on a trade but the Subie office would not. Also has 6 speed trans not the 5 speed it came with. That's another reason why. I told them I have all oem parts I can either reinstall or bring up there to include with the car. They would have taken my car on consignment and used my cut of what they sold it for toward my loan, but that meant I had to drop 26,850$ on the BRZ right there when I was hoping to only pay 18-19k with trade in.

Nobody gave nothing but compliments on how nice the car is, but its how it looks when its put to paper unfortunately.. I would trade in the UG, but I still owe 3k on it and its bone stock to.

Vehicles
      06-04-2012 06:38 PM #646
      Also the only reason any car tuneable with Cobb gets resold with it is because the AP is never transferable to another ecu or vin#. Once it marries a ecu its done. You have to pay again to reset it. At least that's how they work with the MS3. If the dude with the Z doesn't want to trade for my CW Rabbit, I'm gonna pay off the last 3k on the UG and trade that in on a BRZ, keep the CW as a daily.

I can't believe I almost have 80k miles on this Rabbit already It's very clean tho

Vehicles
      '08 2.5Turbo Rabbit
      06-04-2012 06:48 PM #647
      Quote Originally Posted by kevin FaKiN spLits View Post
      which nothing on my car is jank. Everything was done so clean and well even with the billet valve cover didn't throw them any hint. The deciding factor was they wanted to inspect it before they gave me a trade in offer, and I said ok... They took it across the lot to the VW garage and scanned it, my car has a new ecu from dealer replacement and I guess they did not do something right because the ecu reads another vin other than mine. That's the only reason. Only after that they said it had to much work for them to take the risk of it sitting on the lot. On the 3 piece wheels it would have gone in a week for 12k or so. VW would have taken it on a trade but the Subie office would not. Also has 6 speed trans not the 5 speed it came with. That's another reason why. I told them I have all oem parts I can either reinstall or bring up there to include with the car. They would have taken my car on consignment and used my cut of what they sold it for toward my loan, but that meant I had to drop 26,850$ on the BRZ right there when I was hoping to only pay 18-19k with trade in.

Nobody gave nothing but compliments on how nice the car is, but its how it looks when its put to paper unfortunately.. I would trade in the UG, but I still owe 3k on it and its bone stock to.
      That's exactly what I was saying... It's probably amazing if I know what you're looking at, but for some stupid reason dealers dont get it

Sent from the bottomless pits of HELL!

Vehicles
      06-04-2012 07:08 PM #648
      That's exactly what I was saying... It's probably amazing if I know what you're looking at, but for some stupid reason dealers dont get it

Oh gotcha. Sorry totally mis took what you said

Also I dealt with the same sales guy that held a BRZ limited for me to test drive last week. I should have spoke up when I heard him tell me I had a nice ass GTI. Also think the plaid seats which 9/10 people that see my car say "nice GTi" I just say thanks as I'm usually never dealing with people who really care about the car, just in passing.

So it could have been a situation where hey cool gti, pops hood, hey wait a minute But I had the title in hand, they new right off the bat it was a 2.5l Rabbit.

Also glad I chose not to notch the frame, cuz the VW used car inspector drives a bagged mk4 and I low he looked if I did the car is salvaged lol

Vehicles
      '08 2.5Turbo Rabbit
      06-04-2012 07:14 PM #649
      Technically it isn't salvage if you notch, but if you were to get in a wreck, insurance companies would NEVER EVER cover a loss when the frame has blatantly been tampered with...it's a fine line i'm sure, but how could the dealer change the title to salvage if it's never been in any sort of wreck?

Vehicles
      06-04-2012 07:31 PM #650
      Technically it isn't salvage if you notch, but if you were to get in a wreck, insurance companies would NEVER EVER cover a loss when the frame has blatantly been tampered with...it's a fine line i'm sure, but how could the dealer change the title to salvage if it's never been in any sort of wreck?

The inspector comes to local meets I've talked to him about it awhile back. It goes like this:
      Car comes in looks stock, but previously slammed on its nuts botched frame smoothly done can't really tell.

Car is given the quick inspection given the

Deal is made, dealer now owns car, you have no legal contracts to it.

Then dealer does in depth inspection before it goes on the lot. They then find the notch. They can not sell it so it goes to a salvage lot. VW employee did this with his leased rabbit. Even had mk4 springs on the front struts.

So now they take there time going over the checklist. Dealers know who we all are if they are into the scene.

Page 26 of 127 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676126 ... LastLast