Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: How do you guy's think the Chinese bi-xenon mod is going to end up?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
      02-23-2012 01:07 AM #1
      Looking at a new VW. It's between the TDI SEL Premium or Tiguan SEL. The Passat has everything we want but we just can get over how it doesn't come with bi-xenon lights. We've spent the past 6 years wandering what's in front of us in the Beetle convertible and we're putting that behind us. The Tiguan has a couple of features the Passat doesn't have such as xenon's and rear seating ac vents. But the powertrain of the TDI Passat is so far ahead of the premium fuel gulping, slush box powertrain in the current Tiguan.

I've been following some thread's on people working on installing Chinese Passat xenon's in the US models. If this turns out to work out as it should from the factory it will be a done deal for me. On the video I'm currently seeing the DRL LED's turn off with low beam's, which shouldn't happen. There also seems to be a few other problems. I'm hoping someone will figure out how to fix these issues with a VAG-COM in the near future. I want to be able to install the OEM VW Chinese bi-xenon headlamps with whatever adapters needed so that I can go back to stock if I so choose. I really don't want to go cutting into our brand new car's wiring harness. The same should be able to be done with wiring adapters and VAG-COM programming. Since the headlamps are OEM part's I sure hope the programming can be done.

I've also read about someone claiming a lead tech told him that the chinese conversion will cause a lot of gremilin's in the electrical system as the Chinese ECM is built for the xenon's and our's isn't. But, I couldn't imagine the halogen and xenon Tiguans having different ECM's, that just wouldn't be good use of interchangeable parts...

So do you guy's in the know think that this mod could end up being a plug-n-play-n-program mod for these xenon's? I would only do it if they would work as a stock Chinese Passat would without any messages on the dash and such. If not, then we have a lot of deciding to do between the Passat and Tiguan. Thanks for the help and I sure hope to hear that this conversion is looking very promising!

2. 02-23-2012 02:48 AM #2
      My hunch is they will end up working just fine. Might need a VAG to tweak things, but should workout. I also think that one of the running changes in either 2013 or 2014 will be these same headlights in a US Spec model... just my thoughts.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      02-23-2012 12:46 PM #3
      I hope so, wish I had a crystal ball! On the Tiguan the xenon's turned with the wheels, up to 15 degree's I think. Would it be possible for the retrofitted xenon's in the Passat from the Chinese market to do the same? Do you know if the auto leveling features and such will work as stock? I'm not exactly certain of all the things xenon's these day's do but I would only do it if it ALL worked as it is supposed to in a retrofit. To me that is the main thing the B7 Passat is lacking. If it is doable without cutting and splicing all sorts of factory wiring we'd be driving one today (assuming it's available...)

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Passat SE
      02-23-2012 01:30 PM #4
      I heard from a few people that they were thinking that it might be possible to put the xenon and led headlights from the Tiguan on the Passat. But of course the wiring might not be the exact same. Any thoughts?

5. Member
      Vehicles
      02-23-2012 01:33 PM #5
      There's no point in bothering with Tiguan headlamp assemblies as the Chinese Passat has OEM VW bi-xenon's that will fit perfectly. It's just a matter of working out the wiring and software.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      02-23-2012 09:21 PM #6
      Do you guy's think the autoleveling and turning with the steering wheel functions will work as well or will they just be straight on at best? If all that would work that would be an awesome mod, along with an OEM backup camera for the '12 models.