Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Is my television kaput? (10yr old Panasonic rear projector)

1. 02-23-2012 12:15 AM #1
      I'm 99% certain, just making sure.

11 year old Panasonic rear projector pt-47wx49
      Just turned off by itself earlier today, now i've got to unplug it and plug it back in, I will hear a relay clicking, then about 10 seconds later another relay clicks and that's it.

Just wondering if there's not some sort of reset switch or anything I can try. The plan was to replace it in the spring, so i'm not really interested in doing anything that will cost any amount of money just to hold off for another month or 2.

2. 02-25-2012 11:54 AM #2
      Probably something not $$$ worth fixing

3. 02-27-2012 10:43 AM #3
      What is the specific model number? It's possible the problem is common, and a quick fix. Sounds like a power supply issue, and maybe you just blew a fuse or capacitor, or had a relay die.

My samsung plasma turned itself off a couple weeks ago, and wasn't getting power at all (stand by LED wouldn't turn on).. few minutes of research, $4 for some fuses off ebay, and a little screw driver action, she was running good as new.

Vehicles
      VW C30 Stingray
      03-03-2012 08:18 PM #4
      Damaged beyond economical repair.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Eistreiber
      Yeah, I prefer slow-cooked bacon; and bacon grease saved is great for frying other stuff, adds some good flavor to almost anything. Except maybe tofu, that stuff is beyond help.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

5. 03-03-2012 08:38 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by gotta_jet View Post
      I'm 99% certain, just making sure.

11 year old Panasonic rear projector pt-47wx49
      Just turned off by itself earlier today, now i've got to unplug it and plug it back in, I will hear a relay clicking, then about 10 seconds later another relay clicks and that's it.

Just wondering if there's not some sort of reset switch or anything I can try. The plan was to replace it in the spring, so i'm not really interested in doing anything that will cost any amount of money just to hold off for another month or 2.

Sounds like something simple. If you search you will likely find its a common part that fails on all these TVs. My old Mitsi rear pro died and I was going to buy another TV, but didn't really want to spend the money at the time. Turned out that the convergence chip on these TVs often die to a bad solder job. $40 in parts and an afternoon replacing it and it was back to operational. There is usually a diagnostic test pressing and holding certain button combinations that you can do that will light up the power LED in a sequence indicating where the issue is. If its a power supply, relay, fuse, chip, etc, its usually an easy fix once you know what the problem is.

This might help, but remember anything you change in the service menu is saved, so if you mess up the image, you won't be able to see the service menu to undo it.

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/brand...onic_tips.html