Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alternative to Catch Can!!

1. Member
      03-10-2012 09:30 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Krieger View Post
      the point of your system your talking about is to "filter" out the heavy crap and collect it and send it either into the pan or into the combustion chamber.

either way, its not good. fuel mixed with oil accelerates bearing wear, so dumping more and more back into the pan is NOT a good idea. some naturally gets into our oil via the rings and leaks into the HPFP supposedly, but purposefulness putting it back into the pan just sounds retarded.

a catch can filters stuff out, collects it, and allows the oem system to keep working to a point. this system would require a new oil pan or tapping this one (not smart), and returning goop to the pan... or dried goop to the intake valves!

either way, its not a good idea, at least not from what ive seen people do with them on other platforms.
      It sounds like you aren't very confident about this fuel dilution theory. Fuel is much lighter than oil, would likely stay suspended in the air and be vented, no problem in that. Remember the Crawford AOS stays heated, so anything that is a vapor would stay a vapor it wouldn't condense.
      Also it would return oil to the pan. If you're oil is dirty you're oil is dirty it doesn't add anything extra to the pan just what was in the oil in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Member
      03-10-2012 09:32 PM #27
      To the interested parties I got an email from Crawford asking me about how much interest I have garnered. They also would like to look at a car for a little R&D and would like to know if there is someone in the San Diego area would be willing to do so.

Vehicles
      Turbocharged 2004 Civic SI with K20/K24 engine swap, 2006 Audi A3
      03-11-2012 02:38 PM #28
      just look up fuel dilution... the fuel will re-condense during its travels... its not going to just burn off... if it did, the stock system and catch cans would be amazing. they aren't. never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelion View Post
      It sounds like you aren't very confident about this fuel dilution theory. Fuel is much lighter than oil, would likely stay suspended in the air and be vented, no problem in that. Remember the Crawford AOS stays heated, so anything that is a vapor would stay a vapor it wouldn't condense.
      Also it would return oil to the pan. If you're oil is dirty you're oil is dirty it doesn't add anything extra to the pan just what was in the oil in the first place.

2006 Audi A3 | 2.0T | 6MT | APR Stage 2+ | Fully loaded ECU | FK grill | EJ CAI | BSH TBP |EJ DV Reloc. | Eurojet TBE | EuroJet Catch Tank | Cross drilled and Slotted Rotors | EBC "Redstuff" Kevlar | Raceland Coilovers | Forge Side to Side Short Shifter | Forge Front to Back Short Shifter | Devil's Own DVC-30 Methanol injection | BSH RSB | BSH Motor mount Kit | 42 DD Shifter Bushings | HPFP Stage 1 upgrade |

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12