Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Results 51 to 75 of 97

    Thread: Newer Dodge Challenger - Puppy Killing Fuel Tank Doors

    1. Geriatric Member ByronLLN's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 29th, 2004
      Location
      Annapolis, MD
      Posts
      38,302
      Vehicles
      '15 5.0, '13 Focus, '97 Wrangler, '90 Miata
      02-24-2012 09:09 AM #51
      I've never seen a Challenger with this damage in the real world. I'm thinking either something wasn't properly fitted on this run of cars, or somebody went out and ****ed with them on purpose.

      Dealer fire any lot attendants recently?
      www.leftlanenews.com
      @SSLByron, @leftlanenews
      Domestic Muscle Owners Not-So-Anonymous
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      Can we just have more boob pics, please?

    2. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 9th, 1999
      Location
      West Chester, PA
      Posts
      6,430
      Vehicles
      '01 S2K, '05 3, '12 TSX
      02-24-2012 10:01 AM #52
      Looks like their lot jockeys are complete idiots. "Lets see, I dented one of them filling it up so let me push on the door on every other one I fill up."
      Expose your cracks and love will fill them.

    3. Member Cousin Eddie's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 17th, 2005
      Location
      Ontario, Canada
      Posts
      16,530
      Vehicles
      1972 Condor II Autocross Spec with Dan in the passenger seat
      02-24-2012 10:36 AM #53
      I love this new thread title.
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

    4. Member finklejag's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 4th, 2002
      Location
      WA
      Posts
      4,675
      02-24-2012 10:42 AM #54
      They throw in the free dent and swirl marks!

    5. Member KeiCar's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 22nd, 2002
      Location
      Philly (now) <--> Bangkok 5555555 (later)
      Posts
      10,679
      Vehicles
      2007 Acura TSX / 2013 Toyota Yaris
      02-24-2012 10:51 AM #55
      That has to either be the worlds thinnest sheet metal or the open / return spring in that door is REALLY strong.

      A dent guy could pull that out but if its a design flaw is just going to keep happening until a fix is made or the owner is really careful.
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam Carolla
      "It shouldn't be called a radar detector, it should be called a rape detector. This is my own little electronic rape whistle."
      (ง'̀-'́)ง

    6. Member Matt@EuroJerks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 21st, 2006
      Location
      Northeast
      Posts
      12,442
      02-24-2012 10:59 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by fixmy59bug View Post
      Matt,

      You aren't talking about the jack alignment "divots" are you?

      On each end of the rocker panel, about 6" from the end, there is a little dent, or divot.

      They are on almost all Vw's. It marks the spot where the pinch weld has been reinforced and is the safe spot to jack the car up.
      See red circle. I think it came when I put in my coils and had a few hard impacts from potholes.

    7. 02-24-2012 11:04 AM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by finklejag View Post
      They throw in the free dent and swirl marks!
      This.


    8. Member MatchStick's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 16th, 2000
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      6,585
      Vehicles
      2013 WRX 2012 Mazda5
      02-24-2012 11:21 AM #58
      I don't understand the logic behind the statement "it's too perfect for vandalism"...

      is the idea that this happened at the factory? at what point were all of these cars gassed up at a gas station?

    9. Moderator PsyberVW's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 10th, 2000
      Location
      California
      Posts
      19,382
      Blog Entries
      6
      02-24-2012 12:52 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by MatchStick View Post
      I don't understand the logic behind the statement "it's too perfect for vandalism"...

      is the idea that this happened at the factory? at what point were all of these cars gassed up at a gas station?
      Vandalism in the sense that, it wasn't a guy with a sock full of bearings whipping each car. If it was some guy running down the aisle yanking on the doors - then perhaps.

      If you lightly open the door, it doesn't quite reach the metal. But if you open it with any force, there isn't much resistance - it just swings out until it hits the car.

      I could easily see a person in a hurry at a pump grabbing it and swinging it open real quick - overshooting the "safe" zone and denting the car in a second.

      These cars aren't brand new - they are all "prior rentals" - not sure if that means dealer demos or lease returns.. Which is what makes the issue more compelling - different owners/drivers could have all incurred the same damage - not just 1 guy who feels underpaid and un-appreciated..

      Regardless, I still contend that the factory parts shouldn't allow this to happen at all.

    10. Geriatric Member ByronLLN's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 29th, 2004
      Location
      Annapolis, MD
      Posts
      38,302
      Vehicles
      '15 5.0, '13 Focus, '97 Wrangler, '90 Miata
      02-24-2012 01:07 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by PsyberVW View Post
      Vandalism in the sense that, it wasn't a guy with a sock full of bearings whipping each car. If it was some guy running down the aisle yanking on the doors - then perhaps.

      If you lightly open the door, it doesn't quite reach the metal. But if you open it with any force, there isn't much resistance - it just swings out until it hits the car.

      I could easily see a person in a hurry at a pump grabbing it and swinging it open real quick - overshooting the "safe" zone and denting the car in a second.

      These cars aren't brand new - they are all "prior rentals" - not sure if that means dealer demos or lease returns.. Which is what makes the issue more compelling - different owners/drivers could have all incurred the same damage - not just 1 guy who feels underpaid and un-appreciated..

      Regardless, I still contend that the factory parts shouldn't allow this to happen at all.
      The thing is, if it's really universal, I don't see why nobody else has seen any complaints about it before. Usually stuff like this becomes forum fodder almost instantly. Hell, Jalopnik would have it if it were legit.
      www.leftlanenews.com
      @SSLByron, @leftlanenews
      Domestic Muscle Owners Not-So-Anonymous
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      Can we just have more boob pics, please?

    11. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2005
      Location
      Tennessee
      Posts
      66,568
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      02-24-2012 01:15 PM #61
      EDIT- video removed. wrong gas cap. I am stupid.

      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

      If you open the door with stupid force and it swings back and hits the metal and causes damage, then I say that is 100% user error.
      (just like you can open a door with stupid force and actually cause damage)
      Last edited by BRealistic; 02-24-2012 at 01:33 PM.
      “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

    12. Moderator PsyberVW's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 10th, 2000
      Location
      California
      Posts
      19,382
      Blog Entries
      6
      02-24-2012 01:19 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I don't buy the "it is swung open and causes damage" explanation unless the cap is like 30 lbs (it needs some mass to swing and then cause damage when it hits).

      And this suggests there is a stop.



      If you open the door with stupid force and it swings back and hits the metal and causes damage, then I say that is 100% user error.
      THAT IS NOT THE CAP. ARGUMENT INVALID



      I am also really suprised there isn't more of an uproar over this- I'm guessing the people that buy these models (non R/T) are similar to those who buy the base model Mustang or Cavalier.

      I have a suspicion that now that I've noticed this, I'll probably see it more often on other similar cars. I have confirmed this on at least 1 other lot, so it's NOT dealer specific in my small sample.

    13. Member Khyron's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 5th, 2001
      Location
      Calgary, AB
      Posts
      4,454
      Vehicles
      2013 FR-S, 2011 Outlander XLS, Gone: 10 Santa Fe, 08 Legacy, 02 Jetta
      02-24-2012 01:20 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by PsyberVW View Post
      Guess I can only do 4 pics from mobile..

      Keep in mind I'm using the flash on an iPhone, so it washes out some of the shadow to make them not look so deep. These are 4 different cars on the lot- 3 silver ones and 1 black one.


      That middle picture really catches it - ouch.

      edit: Enlarged and hotlinked for the OCD crowd...
      Last edited by Khyron; 02-24-2012 at 01:25 PM.

    14. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2005
      Location
      Tennessee
      Posts
      66,568
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      02-24-2012 01:32 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by PsyberVW View Post
      THAT IS NOT THE CAP. ARGUMENT INVALID



      I am also really suprised there isn't more of an uproar over this- I'm guessing the people that buy these models (non R/T) are similar to those who buy the base model Mustang or Cavalier.

      I have a suspicion that now that I've noticed this, I'll probably see it more often on other similar cars. I have confirmed this on at least 1 other lot, so it's NOT dealer specific in my small sample.
      Oh- my bad.

      But how does this cap open? Is is a pop open type thing, or does it have a remote lever in the cabin you pull?
      “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

    15. Moderator PsyberVW's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 10th, 2000
      Location
      California
      Posts
      19,382
      Blog Entries
      6
      02-24-2012 01:38 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Oh- my bad.

      But how does this cap open? Is is a pop open type thing, or does it have a remote lever in the cabin you pull?
      You yank on it with your finger until it dents the fender

      It's not a push/pop, and I didn't need a key/interior switch to just pull it open. See the big bubble? You put your in finger in there.

    16. Member Chris_V's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 18th, 2009
      Location
      Pikesville, MD
      Posts
      14,662
      Vehicles
      '01 BMW 740i Sport, 1963 Mercury Comet, 2014 Mini Cooper, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      02-24-2012 01:40 PM #66
      You know, doing bodywork for years, that sort of damage on both the fender AND the cap (as is evidenced by that last pic) shows a lot of force being put on it. I can't imagine that happening from simply oening the door, or even a careless minor push. Makes me want to go check out the local dealerships to see if it's common here, too. And to see just what kind of force it takes to open that door too far.
      I love cars, but the problem is they are like schroedinger's hobby. They're always in a quantum superstate of being both awesome and a huge waste of time and money... until observation momentarily forces them into one state or another.

    17. Moderator PsyberVW's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 10th, 2000
      Location
      California
      Posts
      19,382
      Blog Entries
      6
      02-24-2012 01:44 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      You know, doing bodywork for years, that sort of damage on both the fender AND the cap (as is evidenced by that last pic) shows a lot of force being put on it. I can't imagine that happening from simply oening the door, or even a careless minor push. Makes me want to go check out the local dealerships to see if it's common here, too. And to see just what kind of force it takes to open that door too far.
      Maybe so. I didn't want to test it on the one car that didn't have the dent, though

      But I think in general, people are rough/clumsy with things. I take care of my things, so I have a certain way I treat them. But I've had passengers/co-workers who are pretty rough/careless on cars. If they were my kids, I'd be yelling at them.

    18. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 16th, 2004
      Location
      Sarpsborg, Norway
      Posts
      8,711
      Vehicles
      2015 Kia Soul Ev, 2009 Citroën C1, 2001 Lotus Elise S2
      02-24-2012 02:16 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by Khyron View Post


      That middle picture really catches it - ouch.

      edit: Enlarged and hotlinked for the OCD crowd...

      flick
      r
      | My Kia Soul Ev Energy Stats

      Quote Originally Posted by thisisdog View Post
      The internet has gotten significantly better since Russians started buying video cameras.

    19. Member GTaye's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 19th, 2001
      Location
      South-Central PA
      Posts
      1,953
      Vehicles
      '08 A4 Avant S-line/Ti, '13 Touareg Sport
      02-24-2012 02:25 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by PsyberVW View Post
      See the big bubble? You put your in finger in there.
      That's what she said!

      I'd be pissed if I did that to my car, but if I was purchasing it like that I'd make it a point for further negotiation on price.

      And yeah, I woulnd't pay $11K for that 883 either.
      Dave
      '08 A4 Avant S-line/TI
      '13 Touareg Sport V6/FSI


    20. Member SoCalDubber's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 21st, 2004
      Location
      Southern Cali
      Posts
      18,367
      Vehicles
      '13 Fiat 500e, '13 Golf R, '13 Tiguan SEL
      02-24-2012 02:41 PM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by PsyberVW View Post
      Oh the humanity!!!
      Wuste European Car Festival The West Coast's LARGEST European Car Show!

    21. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 8th, 2000
      Location
      Portland, ME
      Posts
      4,265
      Vehicles
      1973 Porsche 911T, 2006 Ford Meatwagon, 2010 VW Jetta TDI Cup
      02-24-2012 02:58 PM #71
      Perhaps the fuel filler door does not open far enough and customers are bumping the fuel doors with the fuel pump handles.

    22. Senior Member AZGolf's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2000
      Location
      Phoenix area
      Posts
      23,787
      02-24-2012 03:03 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      that sort of damage on both the fender AND the cap (as is evidenced by that last pic) shows a lot of force being put on it.
      Actually the picture only shows the damage. You assumed it would take a lot of force because you assumed that they aren't using metal that is so thin and weak that it easily bends. Knowing Chrysler's financial history that may not be a safe assumption. I too am curious how this is the first we're hearing of the alleged problem however. Maybe only the puppies were witnesses and now they can't speak?

    23. Member R3Drew's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 4th, 2010
      Location
      By the Bay, CA
      Posts
      1,741
      Vehicles
      Personal: 1997 LS1/T56 V90 Work: 2012 Camry L
      02-24-2012 03:26 PM #73
      Pretty awful

      A single Indian tear for all challenger owners


    24. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2005
      Location
      Tennessee
      Posts
      66,568
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      02-24-2012 03:33 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      Actually the picture only shows the damage. You assumed it would take a lot of force because you assumed that they aren't using metal that is so thin and weak that it easily bends. Knowing Chrysler's financial history that may not be a safe assumption. I too am curious how this is the first we're hearing of the alleged problem however. Maybe only the puppies were witnesses and now they can't speak?
      I'm not sure if a company's financial situation is relevant when talking about the sheet metal thickness on their halo car.
      Assumptions all around.
      “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

    25. Member Chris_V's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 18th, 2009
      Location
      Pikesville, MD
      Posts
      14,662
      Vehicles
      '01 BMW 740i Sport, 1963 Mercury Comet, 2014 Mini Cooper, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      02-24-2012 03:36 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      Actually the picture only shows the damage. You assumed it would take a lot of force because you assumed that they aren't using metal that is so thin and weak that it easily bends. Knowing Chrysler's financial history that may not be a safe assumption. I too am curious how this is the first we're hearing of the alleged problem however. Maybe only the puppies were witnesses and now they can't speak?
      I've spent a lot of time bending metals of various thicknesses and compositions as a custom bodyshop owner, and ahve seen dents liek these in a lot of differnt material. And the cap itself is dented. That cap is curved and has a folded lip. Even on thin sheetmetal, that folded lip gives a LOT of strenght, and it's bent, too. I've dented (and undented) the thin Japanese sheetmetal on cars like the FD RX7, that dented when you LOOKED at it wrong... If those cars dented with no force, then all of them would be covered in dents everywhere from even the slightest brushing, and door dings (which I've seen) would be huge and much longer than the spot where it was actually touched.

      That's why I want to go see one in person. My knowledge of how dents occur and metal bends is telling me there's WAY more to this story than a paper thin body side (especially right next to where the metal is folded to go into the gas filler opening). It may actually BE that, but my gut instinct is no.
      I love cars, but the problem is they are like schroedinger's hobby. They're always in a quantum superstate of being both awesome and a huge waste of time and money... until observation momentarily forces them into one state or another.

    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •