Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 7 of 7

    Thread: Job Acceptance Dilemma

    1. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 26th, 2006
      Posts
      3,244
      Vehicles
      2006 GTO, 1998 Saturn SC2
      02-23-2012 04:07 PM #1
      I graduated in December, and didn't hear back from any employers until recently. Now all of a sudden it seems I'm getting some interviews and responses back.

      I interviewed at company A this week for a 6 month (maybe longer, but 6 month assured) position and today I heard back that they're going to give me an offer. I have phone interviews with companies B, C, and D on friday and monday. B is a 12 month contract, C and D are full-time jobs. All are for companies I would like to work for.

      I do not know what to do. I'm worried that companies B, C, and D will take forever to get back to me. If I accept company A I may be passing up on a great long-term opportunity. If I don't accept I may continue on without a job.

      What do?

    2. Member CruznMalibu's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 11th, 2010
      Location
      Michigan
      Posts
      612
      Vehicles
      14' StingRay, 71' Malibu, 03' Envoy, 05' Honda VTX, 97' C'Dale 900 Killer V, 90' C'Dale SR800
      02-23-2012 04:43 PM #2
      Accept 6 month gig but postpone start date 2-3 weeks out. Interview for the permanent positions “C&D” with any luck you’ll land one of those. Good luck.

    3. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 26th, 2006
      Posts
      3,244
      Vehicles
      2006 GTO, 1998 Saturn SC2
      02-23-2012 05:02 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by CruznMalibu View Post
      Accept 6 month gig but postpone start date 2-3 weeks out. Interview for the permanent positions “C&D” with any luck you’ll land one of those. Good luck.
      That's what I'm thinking of doing. How long does it take to get an apartment somewhere for a 6 month lease?

      Should I mention to the other jobs that I have an offer but I want to have an opportunity to meet with them first? That would be in hopes that they try to move a little faster.

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 24th, 2001
      Location
      Beaverton, OR
      Posts
      7,149
      Vehicles
      2 Miatas, 2 Saabs, & a G35 sedan
      02-23-2012 07:26 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Techun View Post
      Should I mention to the other jobs that I have an offer but I want to have an opportunity to meet with them first? That would be in hopes that they try to move a little faster.
      It's a very sensitive subject for your first position. If you do it wrong, you'll come off looking greedy. Bottom line, the candidate that has multiple offers gets a higher first salary. I'd make phone calls to the recruiters are B,C,& D and let them know the score in a tactful way. Postpone your acceptance of the first offer as long as possible. You might even tell them "I have an offer in process with another company. I want to be fair to them and give their offer the courtesy of my review."

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 11th, 2009
      Location
      Lewiston, Maine
      Posts
      4,609
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      02-24-2012 10:17 AM #5
      Just make sure that the offers are on paper, in your hand and not a verbal offer.
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 26th, 2006
      Posts
      3,244
      Vehicles
      2006 GTO, 1998 Saturn SC2
      03-14-2012 05:39 PM #6
      I spoke with them and was able to wait a week to make my final decision.

      During that week their "initiatives have been placed on hold" for a month or two.


      Great.

    7. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2001
      Location
      The Village
      Posts
      20,782
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      03-19-2012 03:08 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Techun View Post
      I spoke with them and was able to wait a week to make my final decision.

      During that week their "initiatives have been placed on hold" for a month or two.


      Great.
      = rescinded the offer they gave you?

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •