Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Job Acceptance Dilemma

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 GTO, 1998 Saturn SC2
      02-23-2012 04:07 PM #1
      I graduated in December, and didn't hear back from any employers until recently. Now all of a sudden it seems I'm getting some interviews and responses back.

I interviewed at company A this week for a 6 month (maybe longer, but 6 month assured) position and today I heard back that they're going to give me an offer. I have phone interviews with companies B, C, and D on friday and monday. B is a 12 month contract, C and D are full-time jobs. All are for companies I would like to work for.

I do not know what to do. I'm worried that companies B, C, and D will take forever to get back to me. If I accept company A I may be passing up on a great long-term opportunity. If I don't accept I may continue on without a job.

What do?

Vehicles
      14' StingRay, 71' Malibu, 03' Envoy, 05' Honda VTX, 97' C'Dale 900 Killer V, 90' C'Dale SR800
      02-23-2012 04:43 PM #2
      Accept 6 month gig but postpone start date 2-3 weeks out. Interview for the permanent positions “C&D” with any luck you’ll land one of those. Good luck.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      02-23-2012 05:02 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by CruznMalibu View Post
      Accept 6 month gig but postpone start date 2-3 weeks out. Interview for the permanent positions “C&D” with any luck you’ll land one of those. Good luck.
      That's what I'm thinking of doing. How long does it take to get an apartment somewhere for a 6 month lease?

Should I mention to the other jobs that I have an offer but I want to have an opportunity to meet with them first? That would be in hopes that they try to move a little faster.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2 Miatas, 2 Saabs, & a G35 sedan
      02-23-2012 07:26 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Techun View Post
      Should I mention to the other jobs that I have an offer but I want to have an opportunity to meet with them first? That would be in hopes that they try to move a little faster.
      It's a very sensitive subject for your first position. If you do it wrong, you'll come off looking greedy. Bottom line, the candidate that has multiple offers gets a higher first salary. I'd make phone calls to the recruiters are B,C,& D and let them know the score in a tactful way. Postpone your acceptance of the first offer as long as possible. You might even tell them "I have an offer in process with another company. I want to be fair to them and give their offer the courtesy of my review."

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      02-24-2012 10:17 AM #5
      Just make sure that the offers are on paper, in your hand and not a verbal offer.
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      03-14-2012 05:39 PM #6
      I spoke with them and was able to wait a week to make my final decision.

During that week their "initiatives have been placed on hold" for a month or two.

Great.

7. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      03-19-2012 03:08 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Techun View Post
      I spoke with them and was able to wait a week to make my final decision.

During that week their "initiatives have been placed on hold" for a month or two.

Great.
      = rescinded the offer they gave you?