Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sidemarkers !

1. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 tdi beetle convertible premium
      03-03-2012 01:41 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by Dutchmastr9 View Post
      and this is why i bought oem ones to be color matched
      Unfortunately I don't want mine color matched, I wanted clear, but at this rate, I'll stick with the oem amber ones.

I'll see and report back what I hear from ECS, hopefully they will handle this professionally.

2. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      08 Ranger XLT, 12 Golf R
      03-03-2012 01:49 PM #72
      I also have quality and fitment issues with the ECS smoked side markers. And have actually had issues on both my first and second shipment. In all fairness, ECS has worked with me up to this point, but I did want to make people aware of the issues I have.

In the first set, the right (passenger) lens was scratched:

ECS immediately sent a replacement set, but the second left (driver) lens had foreign material embedded in it:

So between the two sets, I ended up with one left and one right sidemarker that are cosmetically good. However, neither has very good fitment in comparison to the OEM parts.

The left one sits pronounced and only loosely snaps in place:

The right one is pronounced on the front lower corner but does snap more securely in place:

And I also wanted to point out that the statement on ECS' webpage, "ECS light housings are ultrasonically welded to seal them tight", is misleading and/or inaccurate. Of the 4 pieces I received, none of them were air tight (simply blowing into the light bulb opening to test).

At this point I am leery to try a third set from ECS. APTuning is working on fitment issues with theirs. So far I have only seen positive comments about the ones from OEMPlus (johannes post #25):

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...r-Side-Markers

3. 03-03-2012 02:14 PM #73
      My clear ones do not fit perfectly either - especially around at the front corners. Not as bad as some people posted - no wobble or anything, but they are not perfectly flush like the OEM amber ones.

When I've purchased smoked or clear Hella and Valeo markers in the past, the fit has always been perfect. Perhaps an OEM manufacturer will offer these for the Golf R - I would guess the ECS ones are fab'd in Asia by an aftermarket company.

I'm hoping ECS might have gotten a bad batch and can replace these with ones whose fitments is closer to stock.

If these are as good as the aftermarket ones get, I may consider getting stock ones color matched instead.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      03-03-2012 02:49 PM #74
      Bahhhh...I thought the "scratches and embedded debris" look was because mine were still wrapped. Took them out and sure enough, same thing. Also have a small chunk missing around the edge of the left one

I sent ECS an email to begin the RMA process...

Looks like OEM is the only way to go. Guess I'll go color matched or maybe try the laminix route.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_VIR View Post
      I also have quality and fitment issues with the ECS smoked side markers. And have actually had issues on both my first and second shipment. In all fairness, ECS has worked with me up to this point, but I did want to make people aware of the issues I have.

In the first set, the right (passenger) lens was scratched:

ECS immediately sent a replacement set, but the second left (driver) lens had foreign material embedded in it:

So between the two sets, I ended up with one left and one right sidemarker that are cosmetically good. However, neither has very good fitment in comparison to the OEM parts.

The left one sits pronounced and only loosely snaps in place:

The right one is pronounced on the front lower corner but does snap more securely in place:

And I also wanted to point out that the statement on ECS' webpage, "ECS light housings are ultrasonically welded to seal them tight", is misleading and/or inaccurate. Of the 4 pieces I received, none of them were air tight (simply blowing into the light bulb opening to test).

At this point I am leery to try a third set from ECS. APTuning is working on fitment issues with theirs. So far I have only seen positive comments about the ones from OEMPlus (johannes post #25):

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...r-Side-Markers
      2012 Rising Blue Golf R
      APR Stage 3

Vehicles
      FiST
      03-03-2012 03:45 PM #75
      I ordered a set of clears, just got them yesterday, I will go and install them right now ... I'll take pictures
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R 4 door CSG
      03-03-2012 03:59 PM #76
      Just got mine but haven't opened them. Guess I'll be sending them back.

Vehicles
      FiST
      03-03-2012 04:22 PM #77
      well I just installed mine and it's not 100%, maybe like 95-99% fit ...

Left side:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RQKbDJQ3FM

Right side:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJcNQQ_HmvI

Front view:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wCkTlJ4Jfk

I think for myself, they fit great ... it's not 100%, but it's good enough if you look at the close up video.
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T

8. Banner Advertiser ECS Tuning's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Modified ones
      03-05-2012 01:31 PM #78
      All of the side markers we have tested with no issues. This could be variations in bumpers.

Please anyone with issues please contact:

customerservice@ecstuning.com
      Last edited by ECS Tuning; 03-05-2012 at 03:41 PM.

http://www.ecstuning.com
      :: Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Hours: Mon. - Fri. 8:00AM - 11:00PM EST Saturday 10:00AM - 7:00PM EST :: Email: sales@ecstuning.com & customerservice@ecstuning.com :: Facebook :: YouTube :: Live Chat :: Instagram

Vehicles
      MkVI Golf R
      03-05-2012 02:48 PM #79
      How are these coming out -_- I only looked quickly, but I don't have the little access panel in the fender well. Do I have to pull the liner back to get to them?

Vehicles
      2 Door bugatti coupe...er, i mean Golf Racecar
      03-05-2012 02:52 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by Bakerrrr View Post
      How are these coming out -_- I only looked quickly, but I don't have the little access panel in the fender well. Do I have to pull the liner back to get to them?
      you need to pull out a couple of screws in the fender liner, then pull the liner back so you can reach in and grab the lights
      You Aint About That Life | ETYolo

Ruined Blue Golf | 42 Draft Designs

Vehicles
      MkVI Golf R
      03-05-2012 03:00 PM #81
      Ah. I'll do that when I get it back I suppose.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 R CW 4Dr
      03-05-2012 03:40 PM #82
      Quote Originally Posted by ECS Tuning View Post
      All of the side markers we have tested with no issues. This could be variations in bumpers.

Please anyone with issues please contact:

All emails sent to the above address bounce back undelivered.

I tried, Gmail, hotmail and my Corp email...

-Peter
      Last edited by Peteski; 03-05-2012 at 03:48 PM.
      // OEM Recaros // RNS-510 // RVC // RLS // OPS // OEM Auto-Dimming Auto-Folding Exterior Mirrors // OEM Homelink // OEM LED Tails // OEM Golf R Black Headlights // OEM Door puddle lights // OKADA Plasma Coils // APR Stage 3 // 034M Catch Can
      RNS-510 Guru // VWNavi.com // Instagram: PeterDNA

13. Banner Advertiser ECS Tuning's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Modified ones
      03-05-2012 03:43 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by Peteski View Post

-Peter
      Sorry about that, one extra g got typed in

:: Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Hours: Mon. - Fri. 8:00AM - 11:00PM EST Saturday 10:00AM - 7:00PM EST :: Email: sales@ecstuning.com & customerservice@ecstuning.com :: Facebook :: YouTube :: Live Chat :: Instagram

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      03-05-2012 03:43 PM #84
      I am guessing their email domain is ecstuning.com and not ecstunging.com

-Peter
      2012 Rising Blue Golf R
      APR Stage 3

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R 4 door CSG
      03-05-2012 03:43 PM #85

-Peter
      The package my markers were shipped in say they are for a MKV golf. Do we know the MKV and MKVI are the same?

Either way, it's disconcerting that so many people are having issues.

16. Banner Advertiser ECS Tuning's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Modified ones
      03-05-2012 03:56 PM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by CALICSGR View Post
      The package my markers were shipped in say they are for a MKV golf. Do we know the MKV and MKVI are the same?

Either way, it's disconcerting that so many people are having issues.
      MKV models and the Golf R do take the same side markers.

Anyone dissatisfied please PM me or sent an email and we will get you taken care of!

Andy

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R (2012-) 1997 GTI-VR6 (1998-2007)
      03-05-2012 04:17 PM #87
      I ordered the ECS tuning lights and installed them this weekend. The bond between the reflector and the base is not perfectly uniform. This appears to be the primary cause of the uneven nature of the installs we have been seeing. Unfortunatley, I didn't take pictures before the install. The base however snaps in tight and is perfectly secure. My left is slightly more noticeable though both sides don't seat as flush as the stock reflector. With my CSG car, the smoked signals blend in very well though. On the magged picture, you can tell the lower edge has a little lip. Again the left side is a little more noticeable, but it's more of the same. Overall I don't think it is noticeable enough to worry about. If I had a different color combo though, I might not be satisfied.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 tdi beetle convertible premium
      03-05-2012 08:47 PM #88

Anyone dissatisfied please PM me or sent an email and we will get you taken care of!

Andy
      I emailed at 10AM CST on 3/3/2012 and still haven't gotten anything but an automated reply. How long do you all take to respond to an email?

19. 03-05-2012 09:16 PM #89

Andy
      Perfect... GTI MKV and 12 GOlf R uses the same side markers ??

Vehicles
      FiST
      03-05-2012 09:42 PM #90
      similar part numbers but not the same ... I don't know why OEMplus sidemarkers fit better .. but I'd hit them up with info. I would have ordered another set from OEMplus, but their ridiculous shipping charge of $16 for a $45 item, makes it

$45 shipped from ECS and fit is 95% ... I'd say good enough ..

Vehicles
      08 Touareg VR6
      03-06-2012 02:43 AM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by VWPDX View Post
      Please tell me they didn't drill your bumper for the plate holder... Or you asked them too...
      I like people, just ask my cats!

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R (2012-) 1997 GTI-VR6 (1998-2007)
      03-06-2012 09:11 AM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by groverone View Post
      Please tell me they didn't drill your bumper for the plate holder... Or you asked them too...
      They did drill my bumper. I didn't ask them to and I didn't ask them not to.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      08 Touareg VR6
      03-06-2012 07:48 PM #93
      They did drill my bumper. I didn't ask them to and I didn't ask them not to.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
      As long as you don't care, that is what matters! Car looks great by the way!
      I like people, just ask my cats!

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R 4 door CSG
      03-06-2012 08:07 PM #94
      I ordered the ECS tuning lights and installed them this weekend. The bond between the reflector and the base is not perfectly uniform. This appears to be the primary cause of the uneven nature of the installs we have been seeing. Unfortunatley, I didn't take pictures before the install. The base however snaps in tight and is perfectly secure. My left is slightly more noticeable though both sides don't seat as flush as the stock reflector. With my CSG car, the smoked signals blend in very well though. On the magged picture, you can tell the lower edge has a little lip. Again the left side is a little more noticeable, but it's more of the same. Overall I don't think it is noticeable enough to worry about. If I had a different color combo though, I might not be satisfied.

Thanks for posting. I have a CSG and I'm really looking forward to installing some sidemarkers. That said, I won't install the ones from ECS because that fitment is just not acceptable. Everything else I've gotten from ECS has been fine, but then again they were just marked up OEM parts so there's no reason they shouldn't be fine.

25. 03-06-2012 09:39 PM #95
      Has anyone just smoked the stock ones?Since no one can seem to find smoked one they are happy with.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 VW Golf (Sold) | 2002 VW GTI (Sold) | 2007 VW GTI (traded) | 2012 VW Golf R
      03-06-2012 09:55 PM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by retired View Post
      Has anyone just smoked the stock ones?Since no one can seem to find smoked one they are happy with.
      Or how about Lamin-X?
      http://www.lamin-x.com/VW-Golf-R-10-...-p/vw427-1.htm

Vehicles
      2012 Golf .:R 2DR CGM MK4 Jetta TDI RC3 T4 nozzles
      03-06-2012 09:55 PM #97
      Never used it but thinking of giving it a shot. I have a spare set of OEM ones to try it on.

http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/niteshades/

28. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R CSG Base
      03-07-2012 12:07 PM #98
      I put them on last night. The quality was fine (no scratches, no imperfections) but the fit is not great. The color is better than the straight yellow but if I had to do it over again I'd wait until someone offers a better fitting version, and I'd go clear or color-matched.

And yeah yeah I know, she needs a bath.

29. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R ; 2014 SQ5
      03-07-2012 02:11 PM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by JosephHatfield View Post
      I Lamin-X'd the stock markers last month. Works fine for me and kept that OEM fit. Cost like $7.

There is the slight ring of orange around the edge, but I am pretty sure I could prevent it next time by not being as aggressive with the razor-blade when trimming excess.

B.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R 4 door CSG
      03-07-2012 02:32 PM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by OaktownDad View Post
      I put them on last night. The quality was fine (no scratches, no imperfections) but the fit is not great. The color is better than the straight yellow but if I had to do it over again I'd wait until someone offers a better fitting version, and I'd go clear or color-matched.

And yeah yeah I know, she needs a bath.

No offense, but those look really bad. The color is tinged, and the fit is totally off. I'm trying to send my unopened set back to ECS, but they still haven't replied to my customer service inquiry. I ordered a set from OEM Plus, since I've heard better things about their product. If those suck too, I'm just going to run them until I can get the OEM orange markers color matched.

Why did VW even put these ugly markers on our cars? Ugh.

BTW, does anybody have a picture of the smoked sidemarkers with the lights on? Thanks.

Vehicles
      03-07-2012 02:46 PM #101
      Why did VW even put these ugly markers on our cars? Ugh.
      because the US government requires amber sidemarkers

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R 4 door CSG
      03-07-2012 03:30 PM #102
      because the US government requires amber sidemarkers
      I've seen plenty of cars without any sidemarkers in the bumper, which leads me to believe the sidemarkers are not required by law, but if they are installed, they must be amber or clear. So I'm still asking, why did VW install those sidemarkers at all?

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R (On Order)
      03-07-2012 03:45 PM #103
      I've seen plenty of cars without any sidemarkers in the bumper, which leads me to believe the sidemarkers are not required by law, but if they are installed, they must be amber or clear. So I'm still asking, why did VW install those sidemarkers at all?
      They are required by law. It would have been cheaper for VW to not have manufactured a new bumper with cutouts for side markers, they didn't do it to make US cars look worse

For cars without bumper side-markers you will see they are built into the headlight housings.

Vehicles
      03-07-2012 03:45 PM #104
      these cars prob have an amber reflector built into the side of the headlight. why the germans dont do this is beyond me but i assure you all cars in the us are required to have some sort of amber reflector on the side

Vehicles
      2010 Audi Q5, 2012 T-RED Golf [R] APR 2+, 2012 Sport Beetle, 2001 Eurovan, 2014 Jetta, 1971 S-Beetle
      03-07-2012 03:55 PM #105
      these cars prob have an amber reflector built into the side of the headlight. why the germans dont do this is beyond me but i assure you all cars in the us are required to have some sort of amber reflector on the side
      My Audi has the amber reflector built into the headlight assembly - I hate it
      Born into a VW family, what can I say?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast