Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sidemarkers !

Vehicles
      2 Door bugatti coupe...er, i mean Golf Racecar
      03-07-2012 04:02 PM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by lovecarsDrV View Post
      My Audi has the amber reflector built into the headlight assembly - I hate it
      ah yes audis do it like that. and then it costs 1500 a headlight for the clear euro versions. much easier to pay for a color matched pop out version
      You Aint About That Life | ETYolo

Ruined Blue Golf | 42 Draft Designs

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R 4 door CSG
      03-07-2012 04:03 PM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by Dutchmastr9 View Post
      these cars prob have an amber reflector built into the side of the headlight. why the germans dont do this is beyond me but i assure you all cars in the us are required to have some sort of amber reflector on the side
      Ah, got it. Thanks.

3. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R CSG Base
      03-07-2012 05:01 PM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by CALICSGR View Post
      No offense, but those look really bad. The color is tinged, and the fit is totally off. I'm trying to send my unopened set back to ECS, but they still haven't replied to my customer service inquiry. I ordered a set from OEM Plus, since I've heard better things about their product. If those suck too, I'm just going to run them until I can get the OEM orange markers color matched.
      I don't really disagree. I wanted to post this so other folks could make an informed decision before spending $44.95 on these.

The color isn't quite as bad as my first pic suggests. Here's another that's more fair. But yeah, the fit sucks.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R 4 door CSG
      03-07-2012 05:05 PM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by OaktownDad View Post
      I don't really disagree. I wanted to post this so other folks could make an informed decision before spending $44.95 on these.

The color isn't quite as bad as my first pic suggests. Here's another that's more fair. But yeah, the fit sucks.

Hey, I appreciate your posting! It saved me from opening my ECS package and the time of the install! And the color does look better from further away.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 tdi beetle convertible premium
      03-07-2012 07:40 PM #110
      Has anyone got a response for ECS on this? Their customer service seems to be crap. If I don't hear back from them with by Friday. I'll just have Amex do a chargeback and they can pay the fine that Amex will charge them.

I'm sick of crappy businesses that don't want to earn their freaking money and sell crap products.

I was going to order a lot more stuff with the side markers but something told me to see what the experience with the side markers is like. Getting hung up on when I call and no reply to emails...I'm surprised they've been in business as long as they have. Time to complain to the BBB too.

Vehicles
      Golf R
      03-07-2012 09:13 PM #111
      I installed a set of clears from OEM Plus last night... I am very happy with the fit.

Vehicles
      Golf R
      03-07-2012 09:19 PM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by peruski View Post
      I installed a set of clears from OEM Plus last night... I am very happy with the fit.
      can you post some pics or even a little video like I did, it would be much appreciated
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf TDI
      03-07-2012 10:09 PM #113
      I ordered a set of tinted sidemarkers for my Golf from ECS, and the fit was so bad that they didn't even hardly stay in. If I pushed on the side they would pop out. They lasted about 1 minute before I took them out, threw them in the trash, cursed aftermarket parts, and again remembered why I decided to go with painted OEM sidemarkers. Wasn't even worth the hassle to me to return them, lesson learned...

Adam

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R (On Order)
      03-07-2012 10:16 PM #114
      ECS need to resolve this issue quickly, I will definitely be going down the painted OEM side-marker route when my R arrives!

Vehicles
      2010 GTI Tornado Red 4 drs
      03-08-2012 12:40 AM #115
      and this is why i bought oem ones to be color matched
      Pm me if you need color matched side marker, reflector/gloss black Vw emblem . R mirror cap..
      Order color matched marker click here http://portfotolio.net/johnftc5
      Click here for pic of my product :http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnftc5/
      Instagram : Red_GTI

Vehicles
      2010 GTI Tornado Red 4 drs
      03-08-2012 12:44 AM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by 1SLOWMK6 View Post
      I know a place where they sell OEM R marker smoke.
      Pm me if you need color matched side marker, reflector/gloss black Vw emblem . R mirror cap..
      Order color matched marker click here http://portfotolio.net/johnftc5
      Click here for pic of my product :http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnftc5/
      Instagram : Red_GTI

Vehicles
      03-08-2012 08:38 AM #117
      Quote Originally Posted by 1SLOWMK6 View Post
      I know a place where they sell OEM R marker smoke.
      Johns the man

13. 03-08-2012 09:39 AM #118
      I just received my smoked oem sidemarkers from ecs. They are crap! Arrived all scratched up and had a slight chip in the one. Calling ecs today to get my money back. Either going to keep them the way they are or getting some from you know who....

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      03-08-2012 10:08 AM #119
      Sounds exactly like how mine were.

Although I have to say ECS was very quick to respond and I have already sent out the RMA.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunque05 View Post
      I just received my smoked oem sidemarkers from ecs. They are crap! Arrived all scratched up and had a slight chip in the one. Calling ecs today to get my money back. Either going to keep them the way they are or getting some from you know who....
      2012 Rising Blue Golf R
      APR Stage 3

Vehicles
      Golf R
      03-08-2012 10:51 AM #120
      Quote Originally Posted by brakedust View Post
      can you post some pics or even a little video like I did, it would be much appreciated

Last edited by peruski; 03-08-2012 at 11:07 AM.

Vehicles
      Golf R
      03-11-2012 05:21 PM #121
      looks good brother!

Hmmm now you got me thinking
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 GTI DSG CSG
      03-11-2012 07:21 PM #122
      Either shave it or OEM euro:

Vehicles
      Golf R CSG
      03-25-2012 10:30 AM #123
      Has anyone had any luck finding a smoked sidemarker that fits yet??

19. 03-25-2012 12:40 PM #124
      Did anyone paint them at home?How about a how to on painting your side markers at home!I want to install mine before it leaves the showroom.

Vehicles
      2014 CW JSW 6M
      03-25-2012 01:00 PM #125
      Quote Originally Posted by retired View Post
      Did anyone paint them at home?How about a how to on painting your side markers at home!I want to install mine before it leaves the showroom.

Primer it then paint...you just need a dust free environment to really do it right.

http://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Can.../dp/B00407V3RI
      (other colors available)

Start by holding the can about 8"-12" away. Start spraying away from the marker and spray across the entire marker and move off the other edge before stop spraying. I.E. start and stop the spray not directly on the marker. Use slow even movements across the entire marker at the same distance. Do at least 2 or 3 coats. Probably 4 or 5. Let dry THOROUGHLY before applying another coat. Also a couple of coats of clear coat is a MUST.

Will it look professional? Maybe...its all about even coats, good ventilation and no dust.

My big question is...is a painted marker legal?
      Last edited by b-R-ad; 03-25-2012 at 01:03 PM.

21. 03-25-2012 01:03 PM #126
      don't you need to plastic prep it first?

Vehicles
      2014 CW JSW 6M
      03-25-2012 01:33 PM #127
      Quote Originally Posted by retired View Post
      don't you need to plastic prep it first?
      Probably...I had always thought that is something you do on (for lack of a better word) raw plastic. I don't know if the existing markers have been treated or not.

It's all about getting the oil out of the plastic so the paint sticks to it. On a small piece like the marker you might not have to do it. Someone who knows for sure should probably chime in.

My suggestion was only a brief how to...I should have probably kept my minimal painting skills to myself...

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      04-04-2012 04:47 PM #128
      Count me in as another person that's RMA'ed my ECS Tuning markers (the process was quick and painless, by the way!)

Have the OEMPlus markers been a perfect fit for everyone that's tried them? Those orange strips on my DBP bumper are starting to annoy me.
      VW OEM [LED tails, euro cupholder, hatch sill, glovebox handle], HPA [downpipe, tune, comp controller, 75A mount], HS Tuning RSR clutch, GFB DV+, Dieselgeek short-shifter, TyrolSport [subframe collars, shift bracket bushings], USMillWorks front plate mount, and deAutoKey f+r LED turn signals.

Vehicles
      2001 Acura NSX-T 28k miles, 2001.5 Audi S4 APR Stage III+
      04-09-2012 12:10 AM #129
      so the oemplus smoked sidemarkers fit a lot better than the ECS ones? Can anyone confirm this?
      '01 Acura NSX-T 6spd Silverstone/Onyx 28k miles (garage queen)
      '01.5 Audi S4 APR Stage 3+(daily)
      '10 Nissan GT-R Premium (sold)
      '12 Golf R 2dr (sold) l '02 Porsche 996TT 6spd (sold) l '06 Mercedes E55 AMG (sold)
      '94 Toyota Supra 6spd TRD Widebody GT42/E85 (sold) '06 Dodge Viper SRT-10 (sold)

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R - Black
      04-09-2012 12:15 AM #130
      Axl rose painted mine for me and he painted the rear reflectors. Check my build thread for pictures. I am impressed thus far.
      2012 Golf R - Black WETDUB
      APR Stage 2++ (Build Thread)

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R 4 door CSG
      04-09-2012 01:17 PM #131
      Quote Originally Posted by BlazedR View Post
      so the oemplus smoked sidemarkers fit a lot better than the ECS ones? Can anyone confirm this?
      I bought and installed both the ECS and OEMplus side markers. They both suck and have fit issues, but the OEMplus side markers suck less. I am running them now. The side marker on the left fits better than the one on the right, but they both have a little lip on the bottom front and a well on the upper rear. That said, they still look way better than the orange reflectors. However, I'm considering just tinting (laminex?) the orange reflectors and re-installing them since it's becoming clear there are no aftermarket producers who make side markers that fit properly.

The ECS product is complete junk. They have a little "L" and "R" molded on the surface (to indicate left and right), and the fit is just horrible. Before I bought the set, ECS said they had seen no fit issues with their product. That must be a lie since the improper fit is easily noticeable and many people have experienced the same problem. Such a shame ECS is willing to sell that product to customers.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R 4 door CSG
      04-09-2012 01:21 PM #132
      Quote Originally Posted by Siliconrane View Post
      Axl rose painted mine for me and he painted the rear reflectors. Check my build thread for pictures. I am impressed thus far.
      I would love to do this if it wasn't illegal in Cali. Obviously the best route if you can get away with it.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      04-09-2012 01:59 PM #133
      I bought and installed both the ECS and OEMplus side markers. They both suck and have fit issues, but the OEMplus side markers suck less. I am running them now. The side marker on the left fits better than the one on the right, but they both have a little lip on the bottom front and a well on the upper rear. That said, they still look way better than the orange reflectors. However, I'm considering just tinting (laminex?) the orange reflectors and re-installing them since it's becoming clear there are no aftermarket producers who make side markers that fit properly.

The ECS product is complete junk. They have a little "L" and "R" molded on the surface (to indicate left and right), and the fit is just horrible. Before I bought the set, ECS said they had seen no fit issues with their product. That must be a lie since the improper fit is easily noticeable and many people have experienced the same problem. Such a shame ECS is willing to sell that product to customers.
      Wow. It seriously sounds like ECS, OEM+, and APT all got their sidemarkers from the same crappy supplier. Hardly a life and death situation I guess, I can wait indefinitely for a proper fitting part if need be!
      VW OEM [LED tails, euro cupholder, hatch sill, glovebox handle], HPA [downpipe, tune, comp controller, 75A mount], HS Tuning RSR clutch, GFB DV+, Dieselgeek short-shifter, TyrolSport [subframe collars, shift bracket bushings], USMillWorks front plate mount, and deAutoKey f+r LED turn signals.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R 4 door CSG
      04-09-2012 02:36 PM #134
      Quote Originally Posted by CasbahBoy View Post
      Wow. It seriously sounds like ECS, OEM+, and APT all got their sidemarkers from the same crappy supplier. Hardly a life and death situation I guess, I can wait indefinitely for a proper fitting part if need be!
      Definitely different suppliers for OEMplus and ECS (OEMplus did not have "L" and "R" molded on the lenses). To give you a better idea of the OEMplus issues, here are some pictures of my right side marker where you can see the lip and well. The left side marker is not as bad (I would be much happier if they both fit like the left). World better than ECS though.

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      04-09-2012 03:52 PM #135
      So, is there ANYONE that is providing sidemarkers without fitment issues?
      Scotch. It's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Buford T. Injustice View Post
      Wow such Canagay. Much hairy. So cuddles.

Vehicles
      04-09-2012 03:54 PM #136
      Quote Originally Posted by Time for a GTI View Post
      So, is there ANYONE that is providing sidemarkers without fitment issues?
      buy oem ones, then color match

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      04-09-2012 04:11 PM #137
      I meant aside from VW.

I would hope theirs fit
      Scotch. It's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Buford T. Injustice View Post
      Wow such Canagay. Much hairy. So cuddles.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      04-09-2012 04:31 PM #138
      Definitely different suppliers for OEMplus and ECS (OEMplus did not have "L" and "R" molded on the lenses). To give you a better idea of the OEMplus issues, here are some pictures of my right side marker where you can see the lip and well. The left side marker is not as bad (I would be much happier if they both fit like the left). World better than ECS though.
      Interesting. Thank you for the helpful info!

I'd prefer smoked since I still want functional sidemarkers but if I get tired of waiting...I might do just that!

34. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R; 2012 Tiguan SEL
      04-09-2012 04:38 PM #139
      Quote Originally Posted by CasbahBoy View Post
      Interesting. Thank you for the helpful info!

I'd prefer smoked since I still want functional sidemarkers but if I get tired of waiting...I might do just that!
      "Smoked" (couple layers of tinting and then a clear coat) can be done just as easily (more easily, in fact) by a paint shop as color-matching. I'd recommend going with OEM markers to ensure the best fitment, and having someone like John, who has painted many members' markers, smoke them for you.
      2012 Rising Blue Golf R (Build Thread)
      2012 Night Blue Tiguan SEL w/ Premium Nav

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R 4 door CSG
      04-09-2012 04:55 PM #140
      Quote Originally Posted by TLud View Post
      "Smoked" (couple layers of tinting and then a clear coat) can be done just as easily (more easily, in fact) by a paint shop as color-matching. I'd recommend going with OEM markers to ensure the best fitment, and having someone like John, who has painted many members' markers, smoke them for you.
      That's a great idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast