Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Cluster resetting

1. Member
      Vehicles
      1998 VW Jetta GT, 1984 VW GLI, 1985 Dodge GLH
      02-23-2012 09:11 PM #1
      The cluster resets (tach drops to zero and goes back up to idle) and the time and trip reset as well everytime I start the car and turn the fog/driving lights on. After turning them on, I can shut them off and on again and the cluster won't reset, seems like only at start up/first time.

There are HID bulbs in place of the factory H3's, but it would only happen sometimes - after installing a relay to provide power from the battery to the ballasts does this problem happen all the time now. I am thinking it has to do with the voltage spikes of the ballasts; and now the relay windings. Does anyone have an idea or experienced this before? I am thinking of using either a diode or a capacitor to 'soak' up the extra voltage - but it would need to be dissipated some how. Just don't really know where to put one.

I am off to stare at some wiring diagrams... cheers.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      02-23-2012 09:51 PM #2

Here is what I've been looking at.
      See where the red marks are on the right side fog light bulb. The power and ground are interrupted there to power a relay that takes power from the battery that goes to a ballast; and the ballast is grounded to the body - and from the ballast, the power and ground go to the HID bulb. Now what I don't see in the wiring diagram, is a relation between the headlight/foglight switch and the cluster where it would cause the cluster to reset. Thoughts?

3. 02-25-2012 11:26 AM #3
      so tell me you have hids and when you start the car you cant turn your lights off?????????

4. 02-25-2012 11:34 AM #4
      well i would say you need relays for the hids balast i think vw dont have headlight relays to take the load so i did mine like this trace the head light wires ,second cut the wire in half and atach to the relay to take the load.. you need two relays ,wire them up to the relay like this coming from the headlight switch to 86 on the relay 87 to 12volts 85 to ground and 30 to the headlights do this on the left and right headlights ok

5. Member
      Vehicles
      02-25-2012 05:35 PM #5
      Thanks for the replies.

My headlights function correctly and all turn on and off normally. The only problem is the cluster resetting when I turn on the driving lights (that have HID's in place of the H3's) when I first turn on the car.

I do have a relay installed for the driving light on the right side, and since installing that relay, the problem happens consistently. The power and ground from the cars harness activate the relay's coil allowing power to feed to the ballast directly from the battery and the ballast is grounded to the chassis.

I did a little research on google and read that putting a diode across the coil side of the relay terminals should stop surging/etc. But to me, it seems like the cluster is loosing power - like the ballasts are taking too much from the electrical system. It's weird that no one else has experienced this.

I'll disconnect the left side driving light (no relay) and see if that is the culprit. Just seems odd that this problem happened intermittently without relays, and when installing the one relay, it happens all the time on start-up only.

Other than illumination, I fail to see the connection between the headlight system and the cluster - from looking at the wiring diagrams.

6. 03-07-2012 09:50 PM #6
      do you have 2 relays or one you need two one for left headlight and right .easiest way disconect the hids and go to factory and it should fix the problem, then taht means that relays is bed or wired wrong

7. Member
      Vehicles
      03-08-2012 08:59 AM #7
      I went back to the factory setup. I didn't want to damage my cluster permanently. The light output was really nice as I work out the in the country area, and getting back home at night is a little dark. The E-Codes help, but having driving lights, or even auxillary lights are better.

I did have a relay on just the passenger side, but disconnecting the left side HID did nothing. With just the right side connected, the cluster would still reset. The relay was tested and was brand new. It was definately wired in correctly. It has be to something with the voltage spikes/draw of the HID system that the car isn't set up for (obviously). I am sure a diode across the relay would have helped/remedied the situation.