Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: I want to go. Anyone been to VW in Wolfsburg

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GLI DSG Autobahn w/ Nav, 2002 Eurovan MVWK, 1985 Westy
      02-23-2012 10:38 PM #1
      I want to start planning a trip to Germany to include a tour of the VW museum in Wolfsburg. I've never been to Europe so could use some tips on places to stay and getting around from anyone who has made this trip. If anyone has a prewritten travelogue of their visit to German or Europe pmail it and I'd be glad to read it. Thanks for any advice.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      02-25-2012 03:38 PM #2
      I've been to Wolfsburg on two separate occassions. The first time we went to Autostadt and the second time the Museum.

Autostadt is much, much newer and fancier. The specific marque pavillions can be rather lame, with the Bentley and SEAT buildings offering the only redeemable value. The customer center was kinda cool and the gift shop had some cool stuff.

The best part of Autostadt is the building that contains a museum of sorts housing different exhibitions. When I was there in 2008 they had a whole display of historic cars throughout the ages. They had everything from the Benz Patent Wagen to 1920s Audi racecars to the Nardo W12. It was a very impressive collection.

Two summers ago I went to the actual VW Museum which is in the middle of town. The facility is pretty run down... That being said, if you like Beetles they have a ton of them. The watercooled section is smaller but contained many cool prototypes and what not.

Where else do you plan on going in Germany or Europe for that matter? Wolfsburg is kinda in a crappy area. There's not much else in the area...

Honestly, if you only have a short time in the country, I'd skip Wolfsburg and focus on the southern half of the country. You could feasibly fly into Franfurt, see Nürburg, head to Stuttgart for MB and Porsche; and then head into Bavaria to see Audi in Ingolstadt and BMW in Munich. Southern Germany is also much more picturesque than the north. It's flat, boring and gloomy up here.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      A3 Pilot S2K
      02-27-2012 12:52 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      Honestly, if you only have a short time in the country, I'd skip Wolfsburg and focus on the southern half of the country. You could feasibly fly into Franfurt, see Nürburg, head to Stuttgart for MB and Porsche; and then head into Bavaria to see Audi in Ingolstadt and BMW in Munich. Southern Germany is also much more picturesque than the north. It's flat, boring and gloomy up here.
      Agreed 100X. I have relatives in Hannover and have never been to VW despite it being just an hour away. Every time I drive south to enjoy the sites, including BMW/Porsche/M-B museums, events and tours.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GLI DSG Autobahn w/ Nav, 2002 Eurovan MVWK, 1985 Westy
      02-27-2012 09:16 PM #4
      Can't be any more boring than the flatlands of Illinois. Our idea is to either start our trip from there, fly in, rent car, see museum, spend one night and then head south or drive- train-fly- there from some other starting point (Paris?). Is driving a viable option or is taking the train a better way to get around? I would like to see the Porsche factory and maybe do a Rhien River cruise. Thanks for those posts they are helpful.
      Spencer

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      02-28-2012 07:52 AM #5
      Start your trip from where? As far as northern Germany goes there's only one direct flight in Hamburg from the US - Berlin is where you'd want to fly into. There are a few more options. I don't even think WOB has an airport - the closest would be in Hannover.

Wolfsburg to Paris? That's a long trip no matter how you cut it... and expensive. The train is not very affordable unless you're on some POS regional train that is silly slow and makes a million stops. The ICE is what you want, but like I said it's stupid expensive. Keep in mind that gas is in the $8+ range currently.

You really need to sit down and plan out what you really want to see... You could feasibly do Germany in about 10 days, hitting the major points. Throwing in Paris seems a little goofy though...

Before living here, my wife and I did a whirlwind Germany tour. We flew into Berlin, stayed a few days and then rented a car. We went down to Leipzig (I went to school there), then headed to WOB. We did Autostadt and a soccer game. Then we headed to Köln. After that we hit the 'Ring and another place I used to live. Then we headed towards Bavaria, did Neuschwanstein and ended up in Munich for a few days. We then flew out of Munich. That was about 1000km over 7 or 8 days. That was a LOT of travelling and not the most sight seeing.

Vehicles
      2004 VW Phaeton V8, 2005 Mini Cooper (sold), 2002 ML320, 1996 Explorer V8, 2000 S2000
      03-14-2012 03:58 PM #6
      Passed by the Wolfsburg VW plant on the train on the way from Berlin to Stuttgart. It is literally right next to where the train stops in Wolfburg.

You can read my detailed blog from the trip here:
      http://thomasvick.blogspot.com/searc...&by-date=false

I will say that the Porsche and Mercedes Benz museums in Stuttgart are fabulous.

Vehicles
      2011 GTI
      03-20-2012 11:18 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by logansvw2 View Post
      Can't be any more boring than the flatlands of Illinois. Our idea is to either start our trip from there, fly in, rent car, see museum, spend one night and then head south or drive- train-fly- there from some other starting point (Paris?). Is driving a viable option or is taking the train a better way to get around? I would like to see the Porsche factory and maybe do a Rhien River cruise. Thanks for those posts they are helpful.
      Spencer
      Wolfsburg Factory is on Plainlands of Germany. I am planning a trip end of August/September this year. PM me for Questions. I share my ininrery

I attending a Family reunion Just southeast of Hanover. I am going all over Germany.

8. 04-13-2012 01:12 AM #8
      We stopped in Wolfsburg for a couple of nights and I love, love, loved it. We stayed at the Ritz inside the Autostadt and did just about everything they offered within.