Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Swap Cost

Hybrid View

1. 02-23-2012 11:51 PM #1
      approximately what would it cost (labor hours) to perform an engine swap given the following criteria:

classic car

crate engine

figure crate 350 ~$2k labor ~$2k, can it go much over that? can you get it done much cheaper than that?

thanks

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 GTI, 2012 Beetle
      02-23-2012 11:59 PM #2
      I once heard a good rule of thumb is to figure out a reasonable estimate...

and then add $10k.
      We all talk with knives.

Vehicles
      '15 Mustang GT,08 VW GTI
      02-23-2012 11:59 PM #3
      If you must ask...

Last edited by MightyDSM; 02-24-2012 at 12:01 AM.

02-24-2012 12:09 AM #4
      Any chance you could be more vague? Assuming the classic car is that impala, and the engine you want to put in is a 350, it would be a simple swap if the car started life as a 283. Exhaust will be simple as well.

I'd budget $6k for the swap, assuming you want things like Serpentine belt, OD trans (used) fuel pump, water pump, intake carb, etc.

Chris
      | 2009 Kia Borrego | 2002 BMW 530i with man pedal | 1974 SuperBeetle | 1979 Camaro |
      The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

Vehicles
      76 F100, 87 Bronco, E34 525i, 78 W200, 85 740 Turbo
      02-24-2012 12:47 AM #5
      If you have to pay a shop to put a small block Chevy into a Chevy car.

Stop. Just stop.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      People always like to throw around words like "no" and "title" or "illegal" or "feds", but at the end of the day, they're just words.

Vehicles
      2005 MCS "Hyper Blue", 2006 330ci "Silver Grey"
      02-24-2012 12:49 AM #6
      these responses
      pardon my 'merican

Vehicles
      DKW Munga
      02-24-2012 12:54 AM #7
      Well, I'm going to assume that the classic car you want to use is a Borgward Isabella, and you want to drop the engine out of a Ferrari 458 into it.

If you budget for all the fabrication, the custom transmission, rear axle, and suspension... It should run you about tree fiddy.
      2005 Subaru Forester X/1980 Honda CM400E/1987 Porsche 944S

BattleRabbit takes Pictures!

Vehicles
      98 b5 Passat
      02-24-2012 12:59 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by 16v_43v3r View Post

Stop. Just stop.
      Pretty much this right here.

9. 02-24-2012 01:01 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by 200HP4dr View Post
      Any chance you could be more vague? Assuming the classic car is that impala, and the engine you want to put in is a 350, it would be a simple swap if the car started life as a 283. Exhaust will be simple as well.

I'd budget $6k for the swap, assuming you want things like Serpentine belt, OD trans (used) fuel pump, water pump, intake carb, etc.

Chris
      thank you for the response, 200HP4dr.

Stop. Just stop.
      you have got some nerve.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleRabbit View Post
      Well, I'm going to assume that the classic car you want to use is a Borgward Isabella, and you want to drop the engine out of a Ferrari 458 into it.

If you budget for all the fabrication, the custom transmission, rear axle, and suspension... It should run you about tree fiddy.

good joke. is that from South Park, season 11?

Vehicles
      2001 Porsche Boxster S
      02-24-2012 01:03 AM #10
      Ever consider a 2JZ swap? Might have to go to France to source one though

Vehicles
      Mk4 1.8t/mk1 diesel/vr coupe'
      02-27-2012 09:37 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Murderface View Post
      Ever consider a 2JZ swap? Might have to go to France to source one though
      not helpful...but funny ^ i cant belive ive never seen this before hah
      If its got Tits or Tires its gunna give you problems

Vehicles
      2004 Volvo S60R
      02-24-2012 01:23 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by das internet View Post
      good joke. is that from South Park, season 11?
      Now I'm going out on a limb here, but were you trying to be funny?
      Never run out of real estate, traction, and ideas at the same time

l
      2004 Volvo S60R- Current l 1999 BMW M3 5.0- Sold l 2008 Mitubishi Evolution GSR- Sold l 2006 CBR 600rr - Sold l 2001 Ducati 748 Biposto - Sold l 1993 MR2 Turbo - Sold l 2006 Buell XB12 SCG - Sold l 1991 Jetta GLI VR6 - Sold l 1991 Volkswagen Corrado G60 - Sold l

Vehicles
      DKW Munga
      02-24-2012 01:26 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by EUROTHRASH View Post
      You know how if you edit your response soon enough after you make a post it shows up without the little italicized "edited at: 97865893425" thingy? That's what he did. The first time I refreshed this thread after he made that post it just said "good joke "

I do believe, my fellow TCL'ers, that we are in fact dealing with a bada** over here.

Vehicles
      3 Volkswagens!
      02-24-2012 12:57 AM #14
      Try asking your local shops, or friends..........these douche loungers in here only talk miatas and hyundai's!
      Vamped Tuning!

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 GTI, 2012 Beetle
      02-24-2012 12:59 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Vamped View Post
      Try asking your local shops, or friends..........these douche loungers in here only talk miatas and hyundai's!
      Your troll-dar is broke.
      We all talk with knives.

Vehicles
      3 Volkswagens!
      02-24-2012 01:22 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Noisyninja View Post
      Your troll-dar is broke.

I am kind of disappointed here. the guy posts the jay-z pic and now I'm guaranteed to not get any legitimate responses. yeah, I get it, that engine has jay-z's rap handle in its name it's like a play on words. maybe because my original post was just posting pictures with no effort to show any enthusiast cred, so it's my fault, I brought this on myself, what's done is done. Make no mistake to those who are reading, this is a serious question, I merely wanted to see what would be considered a ballpark fair price.
      I used a bel-air and a small block in my example in order to provide for the efficacy since I wanted to control for any of the complications that always arise when doing swaps on more modern cars. Perhaps someone has experience with such a swap, and, because it's relatively simple, someone has experience having it done on the cheap. However it is clear that I have erred in my judgment in asking this car forum for information on cars.
      Sucks man, good luck with your build!
      Vamped Tuning!

17. 02-24-2012 01:32 AM #17

Sucks man, good luck with your build!
      thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by EUROTHRASH View Post
      was he?

Is there any reason you couldn't have said "I want to swap X-model of crate motor into Y-model of car. Including all the necessary ancilliary parts, approximately what should this cost? My budget is Z-dollars. Can I do this within budget?"

Instead you post two pictures. If you wanted serious responses you would have put more effort into your original post. You came here asking for BS, and you got it.

I don't know the rules as well as you do, battlerabbit. There are plenty of message board on the internet where you can ask a simple question without having to prove that you are worthy to have a question answered, perhaps by someone with real-world experience instead of just the same regulars who post in every thread regardless of whether it's relevant to them. I am aware of the error in my ways and am rectifying this issue by asking people who don't post on message boards for all my car advice going forward.
      However perhaps there is a reason that there are no threads already existing on this matter. The knowledge base isn't there with this board. You only see build threads made by non-regulars.

Vehicles
      '02 MPV, '04 SV650
      02-24-2012 01:39 AM #18
      I had a '69 Impala a long few months ago, and I swapped a 350/350 in there for about $750. Do your own research or you'll just look like a dumbass when you come here asking simple/vague questions such as this.

Vehicles
      DKW Munga
      02-24-2012 01:42 AM #19
      I don't know the rules as well as you do, battlerabbit. There are plenty of message board on the internet where you can ask a simple question without having to prove that you are worthy to have a question answered, perhaps by someone with real-world experience instead of just the same regulars who post in every thread regardless of whether it's relevant to them. I am aware of the error in my ways and am rectifying this issue by asking people who don't post on message boards for all my car advice going forward.
      However perhaps there is a reason that there are no threads already existing on this matter. The knowledge base isn't there with this board. You only see build threads made by non-regulars.

These aren't rules. If you walked into a shop would you just say "how much would it cost to swap a crate 350 into an old car?" You'd give them details. You didn't even tell us if the "classic car" in your original post was indicative of the car you wanted to use, or if you wanted us to assume that it was what sort of engine it started with. These aren't rules, they're courtesies. If you wanted us to extend to you the courtesy of a good answer, then you should have extended the courtesy of a good question. It's not a matter of proving enthusiast cred, it's a matter of being a reasonable human being.

You didn't do that, and you're wondering why we're treating your thread as a joke. You posted something laughable. We're having a good time laughing at it.

Now, I'll be reasonable, just to humor you. The cost of the crate motor really depends on what you want. There are a ton of options when it comes to crate motors. Are you looking for a fresh motor with similar power to what your car(I'll assume the Impala at the top) would have come with stock? Are you looking for something that puts down 400 horsepower at the crank? That sort of thing dictates the cost of the crate motor. As for the labor, it depends on the labor rate at the shop you choose. I'd BUDGET for 40 hours of labor(I'm not saying it'll take nearly that long). Take their cost, multiply it by 40, and wha-bam! You have your labor cost. If the car is going from a 283 to a crate 350, it's not a lengthy swap. It's better to over estimate than underestimate on the labor. The worst thing that will happen is you'll be left with spare money at the end, and the shop won't hold on to your car.

20. 02-24-2012 01:20 AM #20
      I am kind of disappointed here. the guy posts the jay-z pic and now I'm guaranteed to not get any legitimate responses. yeah, I get it, that engine has jay-z's rap handle in its name it's like a play on words. maybe because my original post was just posting pictures with no effort to show any enthusiast cred, so it's my fault, I brought this on myself, what's done is done. Make no mistake to those who are reading, this is a serious question, I merely wanted to see what would be considered a ballpark fair price.
      I used a bel-air and a small block in my example in order to provide for the efficacy since I wanted to control for any of the complications that always arise when doing swaps on more modern cars. Perhaps someone has experience with such a swap, and, because it's relatively simple, someone has experience having it done on the cheap. However it is clear that I have erred in my judgment in asking this car forum for information on cars.

Vehicles
      '14 ATS-v, '16 Camaro 2SS, '14 Moto Guzzi V7
      02-24-2012 01:22 AM #21
      What engine, what car?

Vehicles
      DKW Munga
      02-24-2012 01:23 AM #22
      Is there any reason you couldn't have said "I want to swap X-model of crate motor into Y-model of car. Including all the necessary ancilliary parts, approximately what should this cost? My budget is Z-dollars. Can I do this within budget?"

Instead you post two pictures. If you wanted serious responses you would have put more effort into your original post. You came here asking for BS, and you got it.

Vehicles
      '12 VW JSW TDI 6MT | 1988 Audi 90 MS3X | 1994 Audi 90
      02-24-2012 01:25 AM #23

Yep.

Vehicles
      06 VW GTI 2.0T FSi BMP 06 Subaru Impreza 1998 VW Jetta VR6 Artic White 1998 Ginster GTI
      02-24-2012 02:17 AM #24

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      VRT
      02-24-2012 03:45 PM #25

Stop. Just stop.
      simple swap. Just show up in short shorts and wear lip stick.
      Race it, Break it, Fix it, Repeat.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast