VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Engine Swap Cost

Vehicles
      2004 Pawntiac GTO
      02-24-2012 01:49 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by das internet View Post
      Instead of putting more effort into posting I will just stop posting.
      135 R
      ├┼┼┘

Her miniskirt wrote a check for sex that the Vagina Bank had no intention of cashing.

2. 02-24-2012 01:54 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by BattleRabbit View Post
      These aren't rules. If you walked into a shop would you just say "how much would it cost to swap a crate 350 into an old car?" You'd give them details. You didn't even tell us if the "classic car" in your original post was indicative of the car you wanted to use, or if you wanted us to assume that it was what sort of engine it started with. These aren't rules, they're courtesies. If you wanted us to extend to you the courtesy of a good answer, then you should have extended the courtesy of a good question. It's not a matter of proving enthusiast cred, it's a matter of being a reasonable human being.

You didn't do that, and you're wondering why we're treating your thread as a joke. You posted something laughable. We're having a good time laughing at it.

Now, I'll be reasonable, just to humor you. The cost of the crate motor really depends on what you want. There are a ton of options when it comes to crate motors. Are you looking for a fresh motor with similar power to what your car(I'll assume the Impala at the top) would have come with stock? Are you looking for something that puts down 400 horsepower at the crank? That sort of thing dictates the cost of the crate motor. As for the labor, it depends on the labor rate at the shop you choose. I'd BUDGET for 40 hours of labor(I'm not saying it'll cost that). Take their cost, multiply it by 40, and wha-bam! You have your labor cost. If the car is going from a 283 to a crate 350, it's not a lengthy swap. It's better to over estimate than underestimate on the labor.
      You have to acknowledge that you are setting up a lot of hoops for the user to jump through, not par for the course on internet forums by any means. It's not like there are a lot of arbitrary requirements for the guy who posts the picture of jay-z. You're probably fine with him posting that and you've probably seen it like 300 times on this board alone. But since I'm the OP there's all these rigorous standards. Hey, I'd love it if I could search and see a thread made by 16v_43v3r where he tells everyone about engine swaps, but it just doesn't happen, you're more likely to find sidetracked 30 page political threads. I posted a picture of a bel-air, somebody says it's an impala and you know we're already way off on the wrong foot. At this point I don't even know if it's socially acceptable for mechanic shops to do engine swaps. Are they just going to say "swap a chevy 350 into a chevy? stop. just stop, how about like NAS and jay-z instead troll" after I show up with my checkbook and my "impala?"
      Of course doing something like this is "stupid" but when you think about it it's a lot less stupid than buying a new Impala at the end of the day, just wanted to gauge what the costs were.

Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      I cut my teeth working on swaps like this way back in the way back days. I'm really out of the loop as to what this would cost, but from a labor standpoint, I'd be more than happy to do this swap for $2k. Assuming all parts on hand, I'll have it back to you in the morning

I'd guess the number of shops able to pull off something this simple has dwindled to a 2 mile radius around Harlin Kentucky.
      thanks for the reply winston, nothing beats that good old southern hospitality.

protzler, keep it up, i'm sure your mom and dad are proud of your derisive unsubstantial frivolous internet message board posts.
      Last edited by das internet; 02-24-2012 at 01:57 AM.

Vehicles
      B4S TDI Passat
      02-24-2012 02:01 AM #28
      These aren't rules.
      Actually, in my year's worth of watching TCL, I have discovered that there are some unspoken rules that noobs do not know. I see how many trolls there are on this site and it's hard to distinguish sometimes, but I feel this is a legitimate question.

He obviously didn't know that in order to be a TCL member, you must be able to take every nut and bolt out of your car and put it back in with no outside help, otherwise you're a troll or a loser. Just another unspoken rule.

I understand that he didn't give specifics, but he wasn't talking about crubs, fents, bricks, burshes, or putting a nevar lose into a civic with mad stance. This seems like a question that he was 'just curious' about because he might want to pay someone for a mild custom car build.

But, then again, it is Car Lounge tradition to flame anyone at any possible chance, so, carry on.

Vehicles
      2004 Pawntiac GTO
      02-24-2012 02:01 AM #29

protzler, keep it up, i'm sure your mom and dad are proud of your derisive unsubstantial frivolous internet message board posts.
      135 R
      ├┼┼┘

Her miniskirt wrote a check for sex that the Vagina Bank had no intention of cashing.

Vehicles
      91 Audi D11 V8, 71 Super, 07 E320 Bluetec, 05.5 Jetta 2.5
      02-24-2012 02:03 AM #30
      from my experience, its all the little bits you will need that will add up
      yes, its cheaper for an american car than an import, but it still ads up.
      however a crate engine big block/ small block will be cheaper to wire than a lsx swap

Vehicles
      06 VW GTI 2.0T FSi BMP 06 Subaru Impreza 1998 VW Jetta VR6 Artic White 1998 Ginster GTI
      02-24-2012 02:17 AM #31
      Well, I'm going to assume that the classic car you want to use is a Borgward Isabella, and you want to drop the engine out of a Ferrari 458 into it.

If you budget for all the fabrication, the custom transmission, rear axle, and suspension... It should run you about tree fiddy.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      e36 328i, 2010 Fusion
      02-24-2012 02:18 AM #32
      OP please stick to your original plan, and stop posting. Not to be a d**, but this thread is going no where. Do some research and do it yourself.

8. 02-24-2012 02:22 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by airman401 View Post
      OP please stick to your original plan, and stop posting. Not to be a d**, but this thread is going no where. Do some research and do it yourself.
      How many engine swaps have you done airman401?

02-24-2012 03:39 AM #34
      i know there are turds on here. it's sort of the deal. but you should all get a life.

10. 02-24-2012 02:51 PM #35
      I hear that, roadtripper. Last night, I had come to the conclusion that posting on car message boards and having helpful or useful automotive knowledge were mutually exclusive. Then, on a whim, I posted the same question on another car forum. Tons of helpful advice from their knowledgeable regulars. I can't give the name out though or the mooks like battlerabbit will go over there and ruin it. This board jumped the shark a long time ago, right around the time uberhare made his 15th thread where he proclaimed he was 6'-8"

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ost75023085#78
      Last edited by das internet; 02-24-2012 at 03:01 PM.

Vehicles
      99 528iT - 87 325is - 58 Lincoln Premiere
      02-24-2012 03:07 PM #36
      I think the problem is your original post was too vague to get a good answer. A classic car could be pretty much anything, and there are thousands of different crate engines. So the correct answer could be anywhere between $400 and $40,000 which isn't very helpful. So everyone else proceeded to be not very helpful. Don't get all prosecuted on us, there are some knowledgeable people on here, you just have to give us something to work with.

12. 02-24-2012 03:27 PM #37
      stevegolf, is it not clear that there is a huge picture of a '69 bel-air in the OP followed by a large picture of a small block chevy. how much clearer could it be? why would anyone think, just because I said "classic car," right above the 722x396 picture of the car, that it would be anything but a 60s GM or similar? it is not my fault that users on this forum cannot read into the context. face it, the battlerabbits of the world are lurking here every night waiting for a chance to post pictures of jay-z, the uberhares want to tell everyone they're 6'8, the other guy talks about global warming all the time, whathisface defends the GM bailout, that's what it's all about to them. there is nothing more to be said, this has ceased to be a car forum and has become merely a hangout for mook know-it-all/know-nothing keyboard warriors and middle aged political junkies.

13. 02-24-2012 03:34 PM #38
      stevegolf, is it not clear that there is a huge picture of a '69 bel-air in the OP followed by a large picture of a small block chevy. how much clearer could it be? why would anyone think, just because I said "classic car," right above the 722x396 picture of the car, that it would be anything but a 60s GM or similar? it is not my fault that users on this forum cannot read into the context. face it, the battlerabbits of the world are lurking here every night waiting for a chance to post pictures of jay-z, the uberhares want to tell everyone they're 6'8, the other guy talks about global warming all the time, whathisface defends the GM bailout, that's what it's all about to them. there is nothing more to be said, this has ceased to be a car forum and has become merely a hangout for mook know-it-all/know-nothing keyboard warriors and middle aged political junkies.
      So, "das internet" is a sock puppet for which douchebag regular user?

14. 02-24-2012 03:39 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by The Kilted Yaksman View Post
      So, "das internet" is a sock puppet for which douchebag regular user?
      you don't have to be a regular to see an uberhare 6'8 thread. you can't blink without seeing one.

http://forums.turbonines.com/showthr...6-8-quot-tall&

http://forums.speedarena.com/showthread.php?4528082

http://forums.motivemag.com/showthre...?4651629/page2

http://forums.mwerks.com/showthread....Mille-thoughts

http://forums.turbonines.com/showthr...ved&p=73999320

http://forums.kilometermagazine.com/...715&viewfull=1

http://forums.speedarena.com/showthread.php?3792523

you spend maybe a few days lurking and you see all of the things i mentioned several times over. there's a lot of repetition so you'd don't have to dig very deep to notice.

Vehicles
      VRT
      02-24-2012 03:45 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by 16v_43v3r View Post
      If you have to pay a shop to put a small block Chevy into a Chevy car.

Stop. Just stop.
      simple swap. Just show up in short shorts and wear lip stick.
      Race it, Break it, Fix it, Repeat.

Vehicles
      '01 BMW 740i Sport, 2014 Mini Cooper, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      02-24-2012 03:45 PM #41
      I hear that, roadtripper. Last night, I had come to the conclusion that posting on car message boards and having helpful or useful automotive knowledge were mutually exclusive.

Acrtaully most knowledgeable people on most automotive forums will want more information before giving out an accurate, knowledgeable response. Sorry, but you're initial post was rather vague.

I put a nearly 400 hp Ford V8 in to a Mazda RX7 succesfully for under $2500 including cost of the engine. Could that be duplicated at a shop? Not for that sort of money. BUT, a straight swap like a Chevy crate motor into a car that came with that family of engines, stock, would be rather cheap. I did a crate 350 into a Corvette that came with a small block already for a couple hundred bucks on top of the engine cost. Ask for a different engine family than stock, or a different BRAND of engine than stock and it can go from dirt cheap to "the sky is the limit." THAT'S why you got the responses you did. Because without knowing WHAT you want to swap, a "ballpark" figure could be anywhere from $2k to $20k to have a shop do the work. And anywhere from damn near free to $10k+ to DIY.
      "Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection"

Vehicles
      02-24-2012 03:48 PM #42
      stevegolf, is it not clear that there is a huge picture of a '69 bel-air in the OP followed by a large picture of a small block chevy. how much clearer could it be?
      Because your WORDING implied "something similar to this era car and something somilar to this kind of engine"

And that leaves a HUGE range of variables. The fact that you are upset about this shows you don't KNOW the variables involved and are pissed that we DO know that there are too many variables to give you a pat answer.

So for your initial post, it could be free, and it could be $10k. Depends on those variables.

Vehicles
      81 Rabbit P/U, 69 Javelin, 88 CRX, 99 Miata, 00 S4, 70 D200
      02-24-2012 04:49 PM #43
      You could spend 10K on a crate engine alone.
      Crimson Ride TDI - a TDI swap into a '81 Rabbit P/U

19. 02-24-2012 05:12 PM #44
      This is just a personal observation, but you might consider spending the money you are currently budgeting for an engine swap, for some couch-time to help you get over your obsession with Uberhare's vertical dimension. And you probably might want to further discuss you inability to deal with mild, light-hearted sarcasm in responses to vaguely posed questions, especially when you've spent more than 6 months lurking and reading the forum where this occurs.

Usually, when a poster posts some item of personal information, s/he believes it has some relevance to the post, such as whether the poster can fit in a particular vehicle with comfort. I did check your first reference to UH's posting in a different thread, the one where you posted the same list of URLs for us to check about his posts, but what I concluded from that was you are pretty close to internet stalking the guy. That's a mighty strange thing to get your shorts all knotted up over, and it that makes me wonder why?

I recognize that you might be a perfectly nice, normal guy and just are reacting to too much coffee, or to someone peeing on your Wheaties this morning, and if so, I suggest that you step back, do a brief self-assessment and shake the knots out of your panties and then drive on.

Or not. This is the internet, and all this is just electrons zipping around in cyberspace.

But you ought to think about it and choose option a or b. I'm not even suggesting that you tell us which choice you made, but I am suggesting that you make one of those choices.

20. 02-24-2012 05:30 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by Deezy View Post
      simple swap. Just show up in short shorts and wear lip stick.
      good post, i liked the part where you accused me of being a homosexual for prospectively considering one of several avenues available. if your parents saw this post they would probably remove you from their car insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      Because your WORDING implied "something similar to this era car and something somilar to this kind of engine"

And that leaves a HUGE range of variables. The fact that you are upset about this shows you don't KNOW the variables involved and are pissed that we DO know that there are too many variables to give you a pat answer.

So for your initial post, it could be free, and it could be $10k. Depends on those variables.
      unless you have an over-analysis problem of OCD proportions, this is mere backwards rationalization of your innate desire to act disrespectfully and sanctimoniously within this community. people that bring actual knowledge to the table do not get pissy and holier-than-thou like this. they don't disparage others at the drop of a hat. you don't see vwlarry in here posting pictures of homicidal butterflies, you see chris_v and battlerabbit and protzel, that's not exactly a coincidence.

Vehicles
      02-24-2012 05:53 PM #46
      unless you have an over-analysis problem of OCD proportions, this is mere backwards rationalization of your innate desire to act disrespectfully and sanctimoniously within this community. people that bring actual knowledge to the table do not get pissy and holier-than-thou like this. they don't disparage others at the drop of a hat. you don't see vwlarry in here posting pictures of homicidal butterflies, you see chris_v and battlerabbit and protzel, that's not exactly a coincidence.
      Hey buddy, **** off.

I even tried to show you the variables and how much it might be. You obviously have a stick the size of a California redwood up your ass. So again, **** off and die.

Vehicles
      95 mustang GT, 08 Goldwing , 2015 RAM, 79 Bronco
      02-24-2012 05:56 PM #47
      if you are reusing accessories, intake, carb, and exhaust stuff i can't imagine you would have over $500 in new engine mounts, misc gaskets and hardware, etc. should be pretty straight forward.

23. 02-24-2012 06:35 PM #48
      Am not familiar with American cars, but for reference here are some thoughts based on my knowledge of classic minis.
      - Honda vtec conversions make use of subframe kits,custom axles, wiring, suspensions etc. Costs easily exceed 10k for diy.
      - 1275cc swaps: figure 900-5000 for engine core to a mild build. Easy weekend swap utilizing majority of existing components . Figure 30-50 bucks per hour for shop Labour.

Big factor will be the conditions of the auxiliary parts. Wiring, carb, intake and exhaust manifolds, alternator, starter, distributor, water pump, gearbox, etc etc all may require replacement or upgrade. The engine core could be a small budget line item once all said and done.

24. 02-24-2012 07:03 PM #49
      with what you picked out
      malibu and 350 - easy

buy tools and a cherry picker and do it yourself.
      Boiler Up!

Make it three yards mother****er and we'll have an automobile race

Vehicles
      It's 6 cylinder, RWD, and purple.
      02-24-2012 07:13 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by LethaOne View Post
      I'll do it for seven cherry gumballs and an awesome high-five.

Trust me. I can do it no problems. I watched that RB26 swap into a Mustang scene in Tokyo Drift at least 30 times.
      SR20*
      www.RacerTV.org
      Quote Originally Posted by MCTB View Post
      I think that it is raw enough that at 50% of potential, it would be terrifying enough to be fun. One of those 'you never see the tree that is going to kill you because you are sliding into it backwards' kind of cars.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast