Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: I would love a companion. Just need some direction...

1. 02-23-2012 11:10 PM #1
      I've always been a dog lover. I'll give a quick story of my "history" with dogs...
      I had a ****zu when I was about 8 until I was 14 until we had a house fire and unfortunately lost him. He was a great dog. He was considered mine among my family of four. We never did get a family pet again, but when I moved in with my GF () we made a little family when I bought a house for us. We had two little PomChis. One was very friendly and happy, the other extremely nervous and shaky. She would pee every time you went near her. I loved them both (and my gf at the time, but due to her having an affair I lost all of them, but not my house). SO, anyways, it's been a year now and I really would love to have a dog around again. I have always had small dogs so this time I want something a little bigger. I used to be allergic to dogs that shed but seem to have grown a bit of an immunity since living with two PomChis. I live in a 4 level split with a very large fenced in back yard by myself. I love to exercise...I mountain bike in the summer every week and go to the lake and go boating almost every weekend. In the winter I usually just stay in the gym, but I think having a dog would motivate me to get out and go for regular walks.

Sorry for the long story, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on some breeds I should be looking at? I'm very open from puppies to rescues, shedding or not, I just want someone that can hang with me at the lake, come biking and not be to aggressive around smaller dogs. Am I looking for some sort of unicorn here?

Thanks for any advice!
      2014 TRD Offroad Toyota Tundra 5.7L

Vehicles
      2008 GLI
      02-24-2012 08:34 PM #2
      I'm biased, but my aussie is a great companion. Adorable, active, "velcro personalities" (with you all day every day) and very smart.

Pics of Aussies from the Pet thread

However, they are 50-65 lbs depending so may be too large for your comfort zone?

02-25-2012 12:51 AM #3
      I would just say go to a quality rescue, and get something just a few months old (other than "Chihuahuas" or "Bulldogs").

I honestly think you can tell by looking wether or not you'll match up.
      I find that most mutts are happy to match your lifestyle.
      x

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 1984 VW Vanagon, 2007 Kia Rondo
      02-25-2012 09:00 AM #4
      I'm biased now since I am an animal cruelty investigator for a humane organization, but I'll give you my .02:

I generally don't plug specific breeds due to various issues with breeders (I'm not going to get into this unless someone pushes it - you want horror stories, I've got plenty for you). Mutts are just as good, if not better, dogs than pure bred dogs are. Don't preclude a mutt in your choices. That said, I have two German Shepherds, a Dachshund, and a mutt (and three cats, but we're not talking about cats . My sheps are awesome and they are a good breed (probably bigger than you are looking for). My mutt is a snuggle monster and has to be physically attached to me (as does my female shepherd that I just rescued). I've had so many dogs over the years, I always have a hard time giving people advice about this. I would say go visit some of your local shelters and take a look at what they have. I would also say don't lock yourself in to the age of the dog. Getting an older dog has benefits as they are already out of the puppy stage and many times are already housebroken, etc. Find a dog that you feel a connection with and don't worry about the breed, age, etc.

Vehicles
      2011 Subaru WRX
      02-25-2012 11:21 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by MeineFolks'wagen View Post
      Getting an older dog has benefits as they are already out of the puppy stage and many times are already housebroken, etc. Find a dog that you feel a connection with and don't worry about the breed, age, etc.
      what ^ he said; mutts are usually the healthier, and the rescues will show you more love because of past experiences

6. 02-28-2012 11:55 AM #6
      I'll just echo what others have said; start visiting rescues/adoption centers.

My rescue lab-mix was an awesome dog. Definitely a favorite and I do miss him.

7. 02-28-2012 12:46 PM #7
      What about a greyhound?

1. Don't bark.
      2. Don't shed much.
      3. Don't need much exercise. (Yes, google "greyhound engery level", they are sprinters, NOT endurance racers).

4. They are calm and gentle, and come home trained (they learn this at the track), oh and they teach them how to walk on lead, so they aren't pullers.

5. You can see their pedigree all the way to the 1800's...pretty damn neat that I know who my dogs great great x 100000 grandma is!

They do have cons though:

1. They sleep a ton...so an all day long hike, isn't gonna work.
      2. They need to on leash, when not in an enclosed area....some have huge prey drive. It's what they have been breed to do for thousands of years.
      3. Some are not good with kittehs.

Consider a greyhound, they truly make greyt pets...thousands retired each year, just google your area and "greyhound adoption"

Pics of my greyhound:
      https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3&l=79d193c95a

Vehicles
      '11 WRX
      02-28-2012 05:05 PM #8
      If you're not sure if you're allergic and you don't have much experience with larger breeds, maybe look into a foster-to-adopt situation at a local shelter?

We fostered my pit for a few months before adopting her (was just supposed to be a foster; she had some health issues which made her not adoptable for a while, then there was no way we were giving her up ) and I know the shelter fairly regularly does foster-to-adopts.

It would stink to adopt a dog, shell out the money (even a rescue is going to be a few hundred bucks) and then realize that you're terrible allergic. Also, you could find out some personality quirks of your dog. For instance, in theory, a pit bull should be able to run along side you when you bike or skateboard --- except mine, who's deathly afraid of skateboards and runs when you bike until the moment she just decides to stop, which results in you flying over the handlebars

As for a breed of dog that will go to the lake, run along side you when you bike, and not attack smaller dogs ---- that could be any breed, but really it will just depend on the dog. With a shelter dog you'll have the advantage of finding a DOG that meets that criteria, not a breed (but it doesn't hurt to factor in the other characteristics of the breed with your lifestyle before you pull the trigger). And fostering it first will help you get to know it a little better before committing long term.

03-05-2012 03:53 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk3_gurl View Post
      What about a greyhound?

1. Don't bark.
      2. Don't shed much.
      3. Don't need much exercise. (Yes, google "greyhound engery level", they are sprinters, NOT endurance racers).

4. They are calm and gentle, and come home trained (they learn this at the track), oh and they teach them how to walk on lead, so they aren't pullers.

5. You can see their pedigree all the way to the 1800's...pretty damn neat that I know who my dogs great great x 100000 grandma is!

They do have cons though:

1. They sleep a ton...so an all day long hike, isn't gonna work.
      2. They need to on leash, when not in an enclosed area....some have huge prey drive. It's what they have been breed to do for thousands of years.
      3. Some are not good with kittehs.

Consider a greyhound, they truly make greyt pets...thousands retired each year, just google your area and "greyhound adoption"

Pics of my greyhound:
      https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3&l=79d193c95a

That is awesome. I would love to have a big enough playground for a dozen Greyhounds.

I have a JRT/Itl Greyhound and I love to watch him sprint.
      x

03-05-2012 03:54 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by GTiTOM View Post
      If you're not sure if you're allergic and you don't have much experience with larger breeds, maybe look into a foster-to-adopt situation at a local shelter?
      Thats an awesome idea.
      x

11. 03-05-2012 10:58 PM #11
      Thank you all for the helpful responses! They are greatly appreciated.

Vehicles
      2013 Golf TDI DSG w/Tech Package, 2012 Tiguan SEL
      03-06-2012 01:22 AM #12
      i can second the greyhound recommendation. we had two rescue greyhounds when i was growing up and they were awesome dogs. so well behaved.

five years ago my girlfriend (now wife) and i got an olde english bulldog (quite different from an english bulldog) and she is the greatest dog i have ever owned. such an amazing personality and very smart.

i still feel a bit bad for purchasing a bred dog versus rescuing one, but she has been such an amazing part of our lives it is hard to regret the decision.

with that said, if you get the chance to adopt and olde english bulldog or even an american bulldog (they are very similar, especially in terms of temperament and energy levels, the american is just a much larger dog) i would highly consider it. they are amazing dogs, with amazing personalities.

03-10-2012 10:25 PM #13
      I loved our Alaskan Malamutes, but the black Lab we have now is really an incredible animal. Get a rescue animal. Get a mix.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

14. 04-03-2012 11:17 PM #14
      Sorry I haven't responded in a while! I went and met with a little fellow named Forrest. His mother was a rescue dog that was expecting puppies. He was born on Dec. 25 2011. He has a really nice temperament. Very friendly, very relaxed, very respectful. They call the puppies a "Hound/Pitbull blend". Here's a pic from the website.

I'm in the process of the adoption right now. I met him tonight for the first time. The people running the shelter here are incredibly protective of the dogs so it's quite a process to have them feel comfortable enough to give them up. I'm 26 and single, but own a home and have a huge fenced in yard and have quite a bit of experience with dogs. I'm hoping it'll be quick and painless.

Vehicles
      2008 GLI
      04-04-2012 07:50 AM #15
      Looks like a sweetie - grats!!

16. 04-04-2012 02:18 PM #16
      Thank you! Nothing is finalized yet, but fingers crossed.

17. 04-17-2012 11:17 AM #17
      Turns out the process was very pain free. They came and did a quick home inspection, did a few questionnaires and I picked him up on Friday. I took Friday and Monday off to get him used to the house. He's very attached to me already, I can't go anywhere without him following me! Yesterday seemed like the biggest transformation. He was very playful. He's had a couple accidents, but he knows somewhat where to go. Today was the first day I had to crate him and he whined and barked a lot, but I'm sure that's normal especially for the first day.

All in all it's going great!