Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Beetle sales not so good

1. 02-24-2012 06:54 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by fiftysomething View Post
      The question that comes to mind is this: Will VW keep soldiering on with a Beetle model if the 2012+ only sells half of what they did with the NBs of 98-10, or will it be killed again?
      Is the water-cooled Beetle community an endangered species?
      They'll bring out the convertible and see if it helps total sales before they call it quits.

The sad thing is that the Beetle gets the nod for U.S. consumption and actively takes away the nod for the importation and creation of other VWs:

A: The Beetle occupies the coupe slot that the Scirocco or Jetta Coupe could use...

B: A Beetle convertible would occupy the price range that should belong to the Bluesport.

C: A Beetle convertible would occupy the slot that the Golf Cabrio could use...

Vehicles
      2014 Rogue SL, 2008 XC90 3.2
      02-24-2012 06:55 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by B_artman View Post
      I wonder if the Mini and fiat 500 have anything to do with it. Also don't see much marketing for it. I see plenty mini and fiat ads over the past few months but none for the beetle here in Toronto. And if they are around they certainly have no sticking power. Couple with supply issues and it could be an explanation for initially slow uptake.
      I remember not too long ago they had a gigantic billboard in Dundas square..
      Quote Originally Posted by DRUB View Post
      What just cause Im new.

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      02-24-2012 07:07 PM #28
      the NB was one of the first if not the first to do retro. In the time then Retro has become commonplace, and the small "cute" car market is now jam-packed.

I haven't seen any and I am not surprised.
      Dave

4. 02-24-2012 07:21 PM #29
      I think once VW fully ramps up production, fixes the sun roof issue and started to produce the TDI and Convertible Beetles the sales should go up alot. My dealership has 1 or 2 new Beatles on the lot. I am shocked VW is not building a hybrid Beatle because that seems like all the Hybrid people would love that.

Vehicles
      '12 Mini Clubman S
      02-24-2012 07:26 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by warren_s View Post
      I've asked four girls I know who own New Beetles what they think of the new one.... they all dislike it. One of them actually pushed her new car purchase forward by several months when she saw what the replacement would look like.... yeah, I think VW has screwed this one up pretty badly.
      We should've known as soon as TCL loved it when the pictures leaked.

6. 02-24-2012 07:31 PM #31

On a more serious note, I talked to my dealer and he was saying that most of his customers wanted sunroofs and that the problem VW is having is seriously affecting their sales.

Vehicles
      NC Miata MKVI GTI e34
      02-24-2012 07:33 PM #32
      I don't think VW has been providing a steady supply of Beetles to dealers. It seemed when they started to arrive, it was either loaded or a base model. Guess time will tell.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 New Beetle Convertible, 1990 Jetta GLI, 1968 Beetle, 2009 VW Jetta GLX, 2008 Airbus A330-200,
      02-24-2012 07:36 PM #33
      I'm not surprised that the new New Beetle is a flop...it's lost the unique styling touches that made it a Beetle. For starters, the interior looks as if it was cobbled together out of the corporate parts bin, the roof line looks like it has been squished...I'm sorry, but after owning 2 New Beetles (1 2003 and now a 2007 NBC), I wouldn't buy the new car.

I think that VW has driven a nail into the Beetle's coffin.
      ---
      My Other Car is an Airbus A321-200 (Powered by CFM56 Engines)

Technology that performs. Values that endure. A car that invigorates, never isolates. That's the Volkswagen approach to German Engineering.

Vehicles
      2006 GLI, 1987 Scirocco 16V, 1989 Jetta GL
      02-24-2012 07:37 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by eunos94 View Post
      I'm curious as to why the OP is so obsessed with this topic. He seems on a mission to prove that the 2012 is a massive failure. He has asked this question (in multiple forms) on at least two forums and in several sections with the same results yet continues to ask....

If/when someone actually says "yes it has failed" what will you do, OP? It is far too early to judge failure or success of a car just launched (relaunched even) so drink a couple beers, calm down, take a deep breath (filled with smokey THC goodness) and wait for the results.

You have been eagerly awaiting it's failure for over a year now. You can wait a little longer can't you? Oh and NO it's failure will NOT increase the value of the New Beetle you currently own so quit asking that question too.
      Agreed on all points.

Also, how can a car that is on back order be a flop? People are waiting for them.

10. 02-24-2012 07:37 PM #35
      1500 Beetles, that's it? VW probably sold just as many of the original air cooled Beetles in 1 day. The head honchos at VW are clueless. You can't sell this car on image alone. The original was all about value. So what's the point of laying down $19,000 on it when real value could be had on something like a Versa for $11,000

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 New Beetle Convertible, 1990 Jetta GLI, 1968 Beetle, 2009 VW Jetta GLX, 2008 Airbus A330-200,
      02-24-2012 07:44 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by jspirate View Post
      The original Beetle is an icon that can not be replaced. Let it be. I drive a VW and love the car, but Volkswagen needs to let the Beetle be an icon. Just let it be. Please let it be.
      When I worked for VW a long time ago, I remember that the corporate training clearly stated that this was a new car that used the old Beetle as influence. The original first generation Beetle carried forward some very emotional touches that have been lost with the new New Beetle. All of the cool little references to the original Beetle have been lost in the revamped version.

- No Bud Vase (Which, as a heterosexual male I keep a flower in)
      - Instrument Cluster that is nothing remotely like the original
      - A roofline that makes the car look like a Golf from the waistline up
      - Overpriced - at least the original New Beetle was decently priced - the new version is a joke....my brand new Beetle Cabriolet was loaded with every option available (2.5l, Automatic, full leather package, 18" wheels, wind deflector, CD Changer) and it cost less than a fully loaded new New Beetle.

I won't be buying another new Beetle...maybe the new convertible will be a little more "Beetle-esque)....otherwise, I will look to a TT Roadster when we tire of our NBC. My '68 Beetle looks like a relative when it is parked next to the 2007 Cabriolet....the new New Beetle looks like the inbred, red headed, 3-eyed, 4th cousin of the original New Beetle.
      ---
      My Other Car is an Airbus A321-200 (Powered by CFM56 Engines)

Technology that performs. Values that endure. A car that invigorates, never isolates. That's the Volkswagen approach to German Engineering.

Vehicles
      02-24-2012 07:51 PM #37
      Thread SHOULD be titled "Beetle production not so good." As has been stated, production issues have severely limited the most popular trim levels reaching dealerships. If only, say, 1600 models reached dealerships last month and 1500 were sold, how is this a flop?

13. 02-24-2012 07:57 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by silverspeedbuggy View Post
      Thread SHOULD be titled "Beetle production not so good." As has been stated, production issues have severely limited the most popular trim levels reaching dealerships. If only, say, 1600 models reached dealerships last month and 1500 were sold, how is this a flop?
      From what I see on the streets alone it's a flop. What I mean is so far I have not spotted one cruising around on the streets, while a new car such as the Hyundai Veloster which was introduced after the Mk2 New Beetle are all over the place now. VW went the wrong direction with this new Beetle by trying to appeal more to guys, while turning off their female faithful The funny thing is around my hood, I see a girl cruising around in her old air cooled Beetle everyday

Vehicles
      mkvi gti.
      02-24-2012 07:59 PM #39
      I just saw 3 of them today. I don't think it's a flop it's actually too soon to actually even say that.

Vehicles
      a Metro pass.
      02-24-2012 08:10 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Motorwerks of Barrington View Post
      1500 Beetles, that's it? VW probably sold just as many of the original air cooled Beetles in 1 day. The head honchos at VW are clueless. You can't sell this car on image alone. The original was all about value. So what's the point of laying down $19,000 on it when real value could be had on something like a Versa for $11,000
      Well 1, the Beetle is not a B-segment car like the Versa. 2, the Beetle has a bigger engine and more features than the Versa, and is finished to a higher degree. Styling and image are in fact a large part of the Beetle's draw, due to the fact that the market is flooded with good compact cars and most people probably realize they have plenty of other choices if they want something more practical. The original Beetle stood alone for many years as an affordable, economical vehicle. These days, there are infinitely more choices, and B-segment cars like the Versa are the spiritual successors to what the original Beetle was. And not sound like a horrible VW apologist, but no carmaker gets EVERYTHING right, and I would hardly say those in charge at VW are clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeee View Post
      I just saw 3 of them today. I don't think it's a flop it's actually too soon to actually even say that.
      I agree, the car is still fairly new to gauge whether or not it's a failure. Like mentioned above, once the dealers are filled with good supplies of every trim available, and TDI's and convertibles are available, they will bring a lot more traffic to dealers.
      Quote Originally Posted by Swallow Doretti View Post
      You bitches fight more than a bunch of high school girls at the clearance rack of the local Forever 21.
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Japanese dicks are too small to trip over

Blog Entries
      02-24-2012 08:12 PM #41
      All the newest Beetle's on my local lot sticker for $19,999 and UP. Turbo is $33K.

I think this is not mean to be a volume seller. Jetta and Passat are better deals for the typical buyer.

17. 02-24-2012 08:15 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by PsyberVW View Post
      All the newest Beetle's on my local lot sticker for $19,999 and UP. Turbo is $33K.

I think this is not mean to be a volume seller. Jetta and Passat are better deals for the typical buyer.
      It sure is a strange transition though to change what once was a best selling car into a niche vehicle.

Vehicles
      2010 Toyota Prius V, 1996 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4
      02-24-2012 08:15 PM #43
      My stromy sense is tingling.

Blog Entries
      02-24-2012 08:16 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zero View Post
      If they moved the drivetrain to the rear of the car like the old beetle, it would sell to men. Men would be piling up at the door to buy the 20K "budget 911". Of course, VW would never have the sand to do that or would make excuses about global platform, gas economy, ride comfort, blah, blah....
      This would only work with Boxer engine as well.

Otherwise, I'm fine with the FWD New Beetle (the old one now..) - as it was remarkably roomy for it's perceived size. This new lower roof- looks more like old Beetle sedans, but doesn't seem to capture the benefit quite as well.

Blog Entries
      02-24-2012 08:16 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by Motorwerks of Barrington View Post
      It sure is a strange transition though to change what once was a best selling car into a niche vehicle.
      The last gen New Beetle was really a best selling niche vehicle. It still never outsold the Civic or any other popular choices.

Vehicles
      02-24-2012 08:18 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by PsyberVW View Post

$33!? Turbos start at $23k. No truly loaded Turbos have hit dealerships yet, again due to supplier issues. If they are $33 you've got some serious mark up in your area.

Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500 Sport, 2005 Saab 9-5 Aero,
      02-24-2012 08:22 PM #47
      What kept me away was the mpg, as I have a long commute, and the base price. I have no problem with the styling at all.

Vehicles
      ATS w/ Gage and Stitching Pack | BMW F650GS | Moto Guzzi V7
      02-24-2012 08:27 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Not sure what is happening nationwide with inventory/marketing/etc....

But my own 2 cent - when I went through my recent car purchase a couple weeks back the dealer had a Beetle on the sales floor. Red, base model, no sunroof. Pretty enough and I admit the wheel covers were nifty. But inside is wasn't that roomy, didn't offer much in the way of utility, and honestly the drivers command center was lacking. No steering wheel controls, minimal dash buttons, low rent looking radio. Bleh.... All this and nearly $20,000.

Unless I was sold on the styling alone then a Golf seems like a much more pratical and economical alternative. And the Golf doesn't exactly fly off lots to begin with.

The Beetle is sort of like my former CR-Z. You either like it for what it is or it isn't even on the radar. Not really a car to cross-shop.
      Butler Tires & Wheels
      HRE | Savini | Lexani | Forgiato | BBS | Rotiform | RBP | Niche | TSW | Lorinser | Fuel | Black Rhino | Dub| Foose | US Mags | American Force | Vossen | Rennen | Beyern | Brambus | OZ | Enkei | Cray | Conventry | Michelin | Pirelli | Toyo | Procomp | H&R | Corsa | Borla | Eibach | Hotchkis | Remus | Akrapovič

Vehicles
      09 Rabbit S 5MT
      02-24-2012 08:28 PM #49
      I test-drove a couple (automatics) last fall, but with no sticks and no sunroofs, it was no way.
      :gift:

Vehicles
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      02-24-2012 08:30 PM #50
      I haven't seen a single one on the streets but I was under the impression this was meant to be a small seller anyway.

The market is completely different now then when the first NB hit. Lots of choices in that "image car" piece of the market.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast