Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Just a little house I'm working on....

Vehicles
      JB4 335xi, Prius
      02-25-2012 08:59 AM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by kenny301 View Post
      I think that building something that extravagant, regardless of how much money you have, is in poor taste right now. There are tons of people who can't afford a roof over their head along with two quarries at all let alone 40k square feet on 20k acres.

Income disparity? What income disparity?

Oh, and gaudy pyramid house is gaudy (and ugly).

Not true. Housing prices are at around their 2007-08 levels and current interest rates for mortgages are 3.6%-historically low. In fact, there's never been a better time to try and put a roof over their head. The issue is that people are stupid and spend themselves into oblivion, which is a new phenomenon (the Post carter recession people didn't do that), taking loans for stuff on speculation, interest only mortgages etc. A lot of the recent poor did it to themselves.

And this guy WON the american dream. If you don't like it, invent a product everyone uses and then do something else with your money. Instead, don't be bitter. It gets society nowhere.
      Quote Originally Posted by Internal Combustion View Post
      I called my wife with glee, she was very happy for me. I do believe I've won TCL.
      Yes I quote myself.

335- 12.2@115

02-25-2012 08:59 AM #72
      I find it humorous that some of the very people that complain about how he uses his money are the first to clamor about the government telling them what they can do with theirs.

Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

3. Member
      Vehicles
      13 GTI, 12 Subaru LadyWagon
      02-25-2012 09:30 AM #73
      40,000 sf for two people is.... extreme. That is an office building size. Even if the dude had six kids, that is waaay more than anyone needs to live.

I mean, just considering the energy required to heat and cool this place once it is complete, let alone the energy and resources going in to its construction. I find it funny that someone would construct a behemoth like this and allot for a place to 'watch bald eagles.' If he was so into the environment, he wouldnt be building a house this big. And just because it has state of the art systems, an energy hog is still an energy hog at this size. It's like a hybrid Yukon.

Not jelly either. I just don't get it. I am of the mind that you because you can, doesn't mean you should. Not a fan.
      “There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.” Ernest Hemingway

Vehicles
      04 Toyota Tacoma/98 Subaru Legacy
      02-25-2012 09:30 AM #74
      While housing prices are at a low and there are good deals to be had, people without jobs can't buy houses. People who declared bankruptcy because of job loss don't have the credit to get financing, and people who are paying down credit debt they accrued trying to stay afloat on one, or zero, incomes for extended periods of time can't afford to buy. It is very hard for people, even ones who can afford houses, to get loans right now due to high down payment requirements. A lot of the increased activity in the housing marked is due to people refinancing.

I think that people should be able to buy whatever they want if they can afford it. All I am saying is that it might not be in the best taste to drive "a few Cadillacs" like Romney's wife or put a house up like this one right now.

(sorry for the shameless Romney bash)

02-25-2012 10:40 AM #75
      I think that people should be able to buy whatever they want if they can afford it. All I am saying is that it might not be in the best taste to drive "a few Cadillacs" like Romney's wife or put a house up like this one right now.

Nothing shameful about it. If you or your hubby are seeking a job that depends on the whims of voting massess then you had damn well better watch what you say/do/spend.

6. 02-25-2012 10:44 AM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by A.Wilder View Post

Wow, that looks miserable to live in. Tacky decor, terrible lighting, and low ceilings. Not to mention zero resale value

Yes, this must be the worst interior ever..... and living in a pyramid......aren't pyramids tombs?
      Good old fashioned punkrock!

http://jvgm.bandcamp.com/track/a-change

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      02-25-2012 10:48 AM #77
      While housing prices are at a low and there are good deals to be had, people without jobs can't buy houses. People who declared bankruptcy because of job loss don't have the credit to get financing, and people who are paying down credit debt they accrued trying to stay afloat on one, or zero, incomes for extended periods of time can't afford to buy. It is very hard for people, even ones who can afford houses, to get loans right now due to high down payment requirements. A lot of the increased activity in the housing marked is due to people refinancing.

At least building a behemoth like that will provide jobs for a decent amount of people for like a year.

Aside from a realtor making 3% commission, what would the economic impact be if he bought a 1500 square foot house in the middle of generic suburbia?

Vehicles
      07 Fahrenheit GTI, 03 Mountaineer
      02-25-2012 11:00 AM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by Robstr View Post
      I think it'd be funny, if you didn't have hired people to dust and stuff to see the trails that would develop in the dust through such a huge house.

If you've got two people only, what's the point here, besides "My house is bigger than yours"?
      They have massive numbers of guests? Host absurd parties? I get some reasons. But when you say it's just the two of them...it can't really be true, it's designed for many multiples of that.
      Not only that, but some big businessman, for example, couldn't possibly live in the place very often if it's out side of the city very far...or do those folk just work from home?
      Go walk around Newport, Rhode Island some time. The China Trade rich started building mansions there in 1850. At the turn of the century, the NYC rich like the Vanderbilts, Astors and Wideners showed up and built even bigger. It's what rich people do.

The Newport scene was somewhat different from somebody building a massive house on a huge tract of land. In Newport, it was a social scene where everyone visited each other and entertained their less fortunate NYC friends who came up on the train to escape the summer heat. A mansion in eastern Washington is more like George Vanderbilt's Biltmore in Asheville, NC. Personally, I think that's kind of bizarre. If you actually live in the mansion, you're basically a hermit with a staff of dozens to keep the place going. It's not like your friends are going to pop in for dinner.

9. 02-25-2012 11:01 AM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      At least building a behemoth like that will provide jobs for a decent amount of people for like a year.
      A house this size is going to be a couple of year project in most cases, and will provide work at good wages for hundreds of people during that time, virtually all of which will go to local tradespeople and small business. Building this house is better economic stimulus than throwing millions at Wall St or flagging Fortune 500 corporations.

02-25-2012 11:07 AM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by osiris View Post
      A house this size is going to be a couple of year project in most cases, and will provide work at good wages for hundreds of people during that time, virtually all of which will go to local tradespeople and small business. Building this house is better economic stimulus than throwing millions at Wall St or flagging Fortune 500 corporations.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      Hondas, regular and extra-pricey
      02-25-2012 11:08 AM #81
      Not how I'd spend my cash if I had it, but I've certainly got no beef with it. 6 kitchens seems ridiculous, but so does 3 cars to some people. Different strokes.

12. 02-25-2012 11:21 AM #82
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      What about this though?

Quote Originally Posted by Uberhare View Post
      He bought a rock quarry in Montana and closed it down so he could have all the rock to himself.
      What about the people that lost their jobs at the quarry?

02-25-2012 11:25 AM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by Air-over-water View Post
      What about the people that lost their jobs at the quarry?
      Seems pretty simple to me. If there's demand for quarried product another will open, or reopen. There are thousands of abandoned quarries across the US.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      2012 SX4, 86 GTI track machine
      02-25-2012 11:27 AM #84
      No. I can't say where it is but let's say it's in the Pacific NW.

Then we want our lake back.

Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      02-25-2012 11:51 AM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by shadylurker View Post
      Then we want our lake back.
      You can't BUY a lake? Nobody owns the damn lake. It's a pond if it's private other wise it's public domain. WTF? buy a lake.

I do take-offs for homes in my line of work (along with engineered flooring layouts). That house would be a 6 month project and an absolute nightmare. Some of the 6,000-8,000 sq.ft homes i've worked on have been pain in the ass enough.

16. Banned
      02-25-2012 11:54 AM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by A.Wilder View Post
      I just don't get it.
      Same here. It would be so creepy just being in such a big house.

Vehicles
      4.5 GLI
      02-25-2012 12:21 PM #87
      It's awesome, though I also don't get it. It's to much. I would end up living in like 3 rooms. I'd go years without seeing the other half of the house.
      (_fishbowl society_)™
      "So you wake up one day and decide "thats it, I am going to put the devil script on my face and balls in my forehead!"

Vehicles
      E46 330ci and Bikes.
      02-25-2012 12:23 PM #88
      I hate you people.
      No Signature. Only Krav Khalash.

Vehicles
      Golf R, KTM 450SMR, Ducati Monster
      02-25-2012 12:28 PM #89
      Houses are largely just rich people e-peens. No one here would do it because they can't.
      Being that rich is a totally different mindset for most.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      02-25-2012 12:30 PM #90
      That's not a house, that's a small village with hallways built between all the buildings.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

Vehicles
      2013 Focus - turbo edition
      02-25-2012 12:32 PM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by Ubel GLI View Post
      Houses are largely just rich people e-peens. No one here would do it because they can't.
      Exactly, its easy for me to be generous with piles of money I'll never have, but I'd like to think I would be.
      Quote Originally Posted by feliks View Post
      I do not want to think what would have happened, if as a result of the vibrations, the resulting leaks in the fuel pool and the water came out of it ... Almost as a result of radiation inside the building and its three filling remains, you can not to re-seal it. ..

Therefore, even mild disturbances such methods may be used: diamond cut rope ..

22. 02-25-2012 12:35 PM #92
      cot dam. serious crib. moar pics.

Vehicles
      08 Elantra, 12 Focus
      02-25-2012 12:38 PM #93

just gonna let the kids ride their big wheels around the house
      Quote Originally Posted by koidragon1980 View Post
      If Jesus is your pilot, then irony is your vehicle.

Vehicles
      Why don't you take a seat over there
      02-25-2012 12:47 PM #94
      That pyramid house was hideous. I liked how they kept showing one area only to go back to see that horror a second time, like i didn't get enough of it before. Could have been executed so much better.
      Sent on a Post-It by way of carrier pigeon

Vehicles
      02-25-2012 02:19 PM #95
      Quote Originally Posted by Ubel GLI View Post
      That's true. It's easy to sit here and say I don't aspire to have a massive house, a mini giraffe, a Rolls Phantom, or a toliet made of gold because I can't currently have those things. But if all I had to do to get them was ask for them and sign the check....maybe I'd want them?

26. Member
      02-25-2012 02:27 PM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      But if all I had to do to get them was ask for them and sign the check....maybe I'd want them?
      I can safely say that no matter how much money I had, I'd never want something like this. I'm a vintage architecture and design snob. I'd be happy with an Eichler in NorCal near SanFran full of original Mid-Century/Danish Mod furniture. I have no need for 6 kitchens, I can only eat out of one at a time anyhow.

02-25-2012 02:34 PM #97
      The Detroit area is host to a large Arab population. Anyone who has traveled Telegraph Road in West Bloomfield will attest to the size of the gigantic homes alongside the 8-lane divided highway. Believe me, this is not cheap property. It is not unusual for a number of families, and generations, to be living under one roof with virtually separate quarters with separate kitchens.

So, If you divide 40,000 square feet by 6 kitchens you get 6,666.666 square feet per abode. That's still friggin' huge.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      Sube and a VW
      02-25-2012 02:35 PM #98
      40,000 sq-ft floor plan. Six (6) kitchens. Outdoor shower area so the guy can watch bald eagles nesting. He bought the lake and about 20,000 acres around the lake. Three boat docks each with a hot tub. Full copper roofing and siding. Metal structure. He bought a rock quarry in Montana and closed it down so he could have all the rock to himself. He bought a marble quarry in Italy so he could have all the marble to himself. Money is no object. Just him and his wife will live there. Self-made billionaire.

I'm working on the lighting and shade control system for the home.

Lake Couer d'alene?
      One owner Jetta since May 1st, 1999, 182K miles, Heimlich

Vehicles
      VW Stingray
      02-25-2012 02:36 PM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by SOAR View Post
      edit: Poor people be mad in this thread

More pictures!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Eistreiber
      Yeah, I prefer slow-cooked bacon; and bacon grease saved is great for frying other stuff, adds some good flavor to almost anything. Except maybe tofu, that stuff is beyond help.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

30. Member
      02-25-2012 02:37 PM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      So, If you divide 40,000 square feet by 6 kitchens you get 6,666.666 square feet per abode. That's still friggin' huge.
      yea, but the OP said this was for a guy and his wife, not some massive multi-generational family.

Vehicles
      Golf R, KTM 450SMR, Ducati Monster
      02-25-2012 02:43 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      That's true. It's easy to sit here and say I don't aspire to have a massive house, a mini giraffe, a Rolls Phantom, or a toliet made of gold because I can't currently have those things. But if all I had to do to get them was ask for them and sign the check....maybe I'd want them?
      Yup. Most uber rich people I know also have the mentality that they earned all their money so they deserve the best. Sometimes thats true, sometimes its not. Either way that leads to extravagant purchases. I like to think I'd give a ton away too but then I start making exceptions, like just enough to be comfortable and have A nice garage, then the garage expands, then there's maintenance costs, then your wife probably wants a bunch of **** too. Its a slippery slope. I would want a mini zoo filled with mini animals though.
      /richpeopleproblems

02-25-2012 03:17 PM #102
      To a poor person living in Africa or somebody living in a shack in India, your typical 2000sq ft house would be a mansion. 'Clean water? Holy ****!' You 'poor' guys want to justify that?

Methinks the people crying about this guy are the same kids that were in grade school crying about not winning a trophy for fourth place. Oh wait, I hear they're giving them to everyone these days.

Vehicles
      02-25-2012 03:19 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by synthsis View Post
      I can safely say that no matter how much money I had, I'd never want something like this. I'm a vintage architecture and design snob. I'd be happy with an Eichler in NorCal near SanFran full of original Mid-Century/Danish Mod furniture. I have no need for 6 kitchens, I can only eat out of one at a time anyhow.
      You might not want THIS house, but you might want something equally ostentatious.

There might be a somewhat decent reason for multiple kitchens; regular one, maybe a pro kitchen in the basement for events, outdoor kitchen out by the lake, kitchenette near the theatre, plus some in-home apartments with private guest kitchens? I dunno.

Vehicles
      08 Elantra, 12 Focus
      02-25-2012 03:20 PM #104
      the versatility of the straw-man argument is highlighted throughout this thread
      Quote Originally Posted by koidragon1980 View Post
      If Jesus is your pilot, then irony is your vehicle.

02-25-2012 03:26 PM #105

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast