Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Just a little house I'm working on....

Vehicles
      Golf R, KTM 450SMR, Ducati Monster
      02-25-2012 02:43 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      That's true. It's easy to sit here and say I don't aspire to have a massive house, a mini giraffe, a Rolls Phantom, or a toliet made of gold because I can't currently have those things. But if all I had to do to get them was ask for them and sign the check....maybe I'd want them?
      Yup. Most uber rich people I know also have the mentality that they earned all their money so they deserve the best. Sometimes thats true, sometimes its not. Either way that leads to extravagant purchases. I like to think I'd give a ton away too but then I start making exceptions, like just enough to be comfortable and have A nice garage, then the garage expands, then there's maintenance costs, then your wife probably wants a bunch of **** too. Its a slippery slope. I would want a mini zoo filled with mini animals though.
      /richpeopleproblems

02-25-2012 03:17 PM #102
      To a poor person living in Africa or somebody living in a shack in India, your typical 2000sq ft house would be a mansion. 'Clean water? Holy ****!' You 'poor' guys want to justify that?

Methinks the people crying about this guy are the same kids that were in grade school crying about not winning a trophy for fourth place. Oh wait, I hear they're giving them to everyone these days.

Vehicles
      Hondas, regular and extra-pricey
      02-25-2012 03:19 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by synthsis View Post
      I can safely say that no matter how much money I had, I'd never want something like this. I'm a vintage architecture and design snob. I'd be happy with an Eichler in NorCal near SanFran full of original Mid-Century/Danish Mod furniture. I have no need for 6 kitchens, I can only eat out of one at a time anyhow.
      You might not want THIS house, but you might want something equally ostentatious.

There might be a somewhat decent reason for multiple kitchens; regular one, maybe a pro kitchen in the basement for events, outdoor kitchen out by the lake, kitchenette near the theatre, plus some in-home apartments with private guest kitchens? I dunno.

Vehicles
      Ferrari La Ferrari
      02-25-2012 03:20 PM #104
      the versatility of the straw-man argument is highlighted throughout this thread
      Quote Originally Posted by koidragon1980 View Post
      If Jesus is your pilot, then irony is your vehicle.

02-25-2012 03:26 PM #105

02-25-2012 03:26 PM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by synthsis View Post
      yea, but the OP said this was for a guy and his wife, not some massive multi-generational family.
      It's just the two of us in a nice-size house. I really can't imagine living in anything that size, but I can't begrudge someone that made it in some legal means. I'm sure the house is a property-tax boon for that locale. It's funny, the guy here with the 21,000 square-foot house tried to dodge local property taxes by declaring that his home was an embassy to some European country that his family had ties to. He lost that case, and they wouldn't let him use his helicopter pad, either.

I agree with a previous poster about them stick-building this beast. Stone house, or nothing.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      2002 Boxster S, 2004 A4 Avant 1.8T
      02-25-2012 04:25 PM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by Code-7 View Post
      Methinks the people crying about this guy are the same kids that were in grade school crying about not winning a trophy for fourth place. Oh wait, I hear they're giving them to everyone these days.
      You think wrong. I'm currently well above average in Canada and on my way to becoming top 1-5%.

Thinking that multi-billionaires are worthless to our society is not the same as thinking that everyone should get a participation trophy in everything. I think the former, not the latter.

Vehicles
      Old Ford Truck
      02-25-2012 04:31 PM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      You should instead be praising the fact that life is so good, and safe that you can be afforded the luxury to be outraged by the death of one civilian, at the other end of the world. That's phenomenal.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jim Harbaugh
      Who's got it better then us?!? ...... Nooooo-body!!!

02-25-2012 04:36 PM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      It's just the two of us in a nice-size house. I really can't imagine living in anything that size, but I can't begrudge someone that made it in some legal means. I'm sure the house is a property-tax boon for that locale. It's funny, the guy here with the 21,000 square-foot house tried to dodge local property taxes by declaring that his home was an embassy to some European country that his family had ties to. He lost that case, and they wouldn't let him use his helicopter pad, either.

I agree with a previous poster about them stick-building this beast. Stone house, or nothing.
      Now that cuts DEEEP.

Vehicles
      a '98 [on life support] and a '07
      02-25-2012 04:48 PM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by Internal Combustion View Post
      And this guy WON the american dream. If you don't like it, invent a product everyone uses and then do something else with your money. Instead, don't be bitter. It gets society nowhere.
      No one is bitter. The expenditure is ostentatious and kinda tacky. Shutting down a quarry just for himself. Really now ....
      Where is Kyron ??? http://www.bringkyronhome.org/
      Support our troops, bless the fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by genjy View Post
      Yes, there is a high chance that the tractor trailer was the one going 160MPH, not the Porsche GT2 RS.

02-25-2012 05:04 PM #111
      This is the monster we did the light poles for. That's the vacant helicopter area to the right.

Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      Ferrari La Ferrari
      02-25-2012 05:06 PM #112
      irony.
      Quote Originally Posted by koidragon1980 View Post
      If Jesus is your pilot, then irony is your vehicle.

02-25-2012 05:26 PM #113
      Since the thread had drifted to big houses here are some from CT.

And I believe this is currently the largest home in the state. Most of it underground - bowling alley, movie theater, ballroom, parking garage, etc.. 50,900 sq feet.
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

14. 02-26-2012 12:00 AM #114
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Since the thread had drifted to big houses here are some from CT.

dat dere fifty's crib he bought from tyson

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      02-26-2012 12:12 AM #115
      The guy that owns Westgate Resorts was building a 90,000 sq. ft. house in Windermere (the place where all the rich people in Orlando live). Didn't finish construction and it's for sale for $75M, but you can sink in the final $25M and finish it off.

Blog Entries
      02-26-2012 02:39 AM #116
      I'm sure he has his reasons for it. I think it's ugly, but I'm more into stone/mediterranean designs which could be argued as generic/mainstream/boring... I think it's cool that there is an environmental connection to it.

As for the size, I guess it's all relative. You kind of grow into your space anyway. In college, a 400 square foot dorm/apt was a huge upgrade over my bunk in high school. My first condo was 800 square feet. My first house was 2000 square feet. I bought a house in 2005 at 3330sqft. Now, those all seem small to me.

I don't NEED more to survive- but once you have that space- you start finding ways to use more... Also, my social life has changed considerably since then as well - I pretty much eat all meals at home (when I'm there), watch movies at home, drink at home, throw parties at home- I don't go out to restaurants as often when I'm in my home town, I prefer to invite people over than go out in public (for comfort as much as safety/security and better control of the situation)..

It's an interesting change and I see it in my neighbors as well- as most have pool tables, poker rooms, cigar lounges, work shops, etc-- and we do most of our socializing at home.

For these people, it's likely they will not be there alone too often, and there will probably be times where guests, keepers, etc.. will stay thre while the owners are away. Also, health is a big factor that could necessitate/"require" someone to have to do more at home.

I'm not trying to justify it - only rationalize it. Just like when your first car is a micro-hatch and you eventually get that D-Class sedan. This guy just went for a Phantom, when most people can afford a Camry, and while those in between go S550.

Blog Entries
      02-26-2012 02:54 AM #117
      Of course, there is often the 1up mentality at play - at all demographics. That's more the product of a competitive nature than success or failure.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      DD: Mazda3 O: Explorer | Uncertified Preowned: Sportage, xB, Golf GL
      02-26-2012 03:15 AM #118
      To all you 99%ers...
      Those houses that you think are too big are very narrow minded. Something that big isn't a simple home. Its used for entertaining, events, and other functions than just sleeping in.

While many of us will never need 40,000sqft, you dont know the owners social needs.
      Professional Thread Derailer
      Default post options: So, it has come to this. | If you think so. | Not that there's anything wrong with that. | That's what she said. | WTF.
      //// @mbull //// blog //// instagram //// FatManHikes

Blog Entries
      02-26-2012 03:21 AM #119
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      To all you 99%ers...
      Those houses that you think are too big are very narrow minded. Something that big isn't a simple home. Its used for entertaining, events, and other functions than just sleeping in.

While many of us will never need 40,000sqft, you dont know the owners social needs.
      Not sure if satire or not - but one example I can give are for fundraisers where you can have hundreds of guests. Especially political (presidential campaigns) or high interest (such as cancer or world hunger).

20. 02-26-2012 06:31 AM #120
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      To all you 99%ers...

Nah, he just wants a big house.
      How can we tell the boys from the girls?And how can you die in a dead world?

http://jvgm.bandcamp.com/track/how

Vehicles
      15 Outback 3.6R
      02-26-2012 08:18 AM #121
      Quote Originally Posted by PsyberVW View Post
      As for the size, I guess it's all relative. You kind of grow into your space anyway. In college, a 400 square foot dorm/apt was a huge upgrade over my bunk in high school. My first condo was 800 square feet. My first house was 2000 square feet. I bought a house in 2005 at 3330sqft. Now, those all seem small to me.
      I used to own a 105-year-old 4000 square foot house. I had painters inside for over a year. It was one thing after another. I was too busy and traveling too much to even mow the lawn myself. I got tired of having to continuously project manage it and discovered that I only ever used the kitchen/family room with the wood stove. The dining room was maybe once a month. The living room pretty much only got used if I had more than 20 people over for things like Christmas parties.

Vehicles
      Jetta Coupe (1989) GTI (1988) Audi Cabrio (1992)
      02-26-2012 08:28 AM #122
      Quote Originally Posted by Air-over-water View Post
      What about this though?

What about the people that lost their jobs at the quarry?
      you think he's gonna collect all those rocks himself?
      Welcome to the internet:
      Where men are men, women are men, and little girls are FBI agents.

Member of VOLKSFORUM.COM
      "I like my women like i like my coffee,.... plastic cup"-Eddie Izzard.

23. Member
      02-26-2012 08:41 AM #123
      Quote Originally Posted by Uberhare View Post
      ...Self-made billionaire.
      1) No he's not.
      2) As opposed to what other sort of billionaire?

Vehicles
      2006 GLI, Bugatti Veyron SS
      02-26-2012 08:53 AM #124
      **** the 1% he should share his money with me
      A great man

02-26-2012 09:19 AM #125
      Quote Originally Posted by vwtool View Post
      1) No he's not.
      2) As opposed to what other sort of billionaire?
      1) Guy pops out kid.
      2) 18 years pass.
      3) Kid arranges *accident* parents die.
      4) He is now a billionaire.

Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast