Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Had to comment on the RCD-510

Vehicles
      Many
      02-24-2012 08:50 PM #1
      I've had the car for about 3 months now with an upgraded version of the RCD-510. Wife has the previous version of the RCD-510 in the Tiguan.

I've never really fiddled with hers but now that I'm using the JSW as my commuter instead of the Audi, I was getting really sick of what I thought was the crappy sound of the factory stereo. So much that I was looking into new speakers, etc. (remember back when MBQuart had a complete upgrade set for factory stereos?).

I'm not a stereo guy. I just want decent sound coming out. Clear, no crackles or hiss and that's what I was getting with my iPod connection. Until I took the time to upload my music to an SD card..That's when I was impressed! I can't believe how much better everything sounds now. Soooo much clearer and so much "presence" to the music.

Like I said, I'm not a stereo guy. For the high-end people, you probably already realize this but for everyone else, give it a try. I'm sure you'll be impressed.
      Rob | A6 | GTI | Tiguan | JSW | Cabrio | Rabbit | 5+5

Vehicles
      '10 CW JSW TDI 6MT
      02-25-2012 08:01 PM #2
      Yup. SD Card or MDI + Android Phone in USB Mass Storage = WIN.
      OEM+ Bi-Xenon HIDs | Front & Rear Fogs | Highline CECM | Euroswitch | RNS-510 HW:08 SW:1140 w/ Software VIM | Backup Camera | 9W7 | Dash Cubby | Aspherical Mirrors | GTI Steering Wheel w/ .:R Badge | GTI 6MT Shift Knob | GTI E-Brake Boot | GTI Pedals | GTI 18" Detroits
      Not so OEM+ Koni Coilovers | Gentex Homelink Mirror | Yaesu FTM-350AR

Vehicles
      2010 TDI Wagen
      02-27-2012 04:22 PM #3
      I also upgraded to the RNS-510. I cannot believe the difference in sound between having my iphone plugged in and having a SD card in. SD card is totally the way to go.

I just wish the shuffle using the SD card worked better, it seems like it shuffles in alphabetical order if that makes sense.

I have always wondered if the cars that came with the RNS-510 from the factory sound as bad when using the iphone connection. If so, how do people handle it?

4. 02-27-2012 08:20 PM #4
      I, too, was extremely unhappy with the Ipod sound through the MDI cable UNTIL I changed a setting in the Media screen (thanks, VWvortex.) Try this:

Go to Set Up
      Press Media
      Change Media Level from Loud to Medium or Quiet

Doing this lowers the amplification and takes care of most, if not all, of the distortion. I have uneven recording quality from song to song but most sound excellent on Medium. Those that still have a bit of distortion get changed to quiet and I turn the volume up. I am very happy because I have nearly 160g's of music to listen to now. Hope this helps.

Vehicles
      '12 F-150 FX4 Super Crew, '11 JSW TDI
      02-27-2012 09:48 PM #5
      I upgraded my wife's RCD-510 to the RNS-315 and the sound is much better. I have the newest version RCD-510 in my Tiguan, but have Dynaudio.

6. 03-01-2012 10:46 AM #6
      Best upgrade: aftermarket amp. It transforms everything. More, cleaner power than the head unit provides is critical.