Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: was Soft close trunk standard in 2004??

Vehicles
      2004 A8L ("Platinum Beige Pearl Effect") -- 98 B5 Passat 1.8T, 5M (Elegant Green)
      02-25-2012 01:01 AM #1
      I was just reading an old review for the '04 and it mentions soft-close trunk as standard. My trunk needs to be slammed hard enough that I was going to try to adjust it ASAP. This could be explained by the softclose being broken!

Question: was it standard in 2004?
      TIA,
      -Tom

Vehicles
      1995 urS6, 2005 A8L
      02-27-2012 12:21 PM #2
      Soft close was standard on all D3 A8's and it is a problem on all D3 A8's. To this day I still haven't seen a D3 A8 with over 60,000 miles with a properly functioning trunk.

Vehicles
      2004 A8L ("Platinum Beige Pearl Effect") -- 98 B5 Passat 1.8T, 5M (Elegant Green)
      04-13-2012 08:59 PM #3
      Thanks, Jan! I found that mine does have it, and it works sometimes - much more likely to work in warm weather, gotta slam it in the cold. If anyone has a link to the adjusting procedure I'd appreciate it. I think there is a tooth missing from the gear somewhere along the line because the catch bar (for lack of a better term) in the car body (not the latch in the lid) can be pulled up a couple mm and it moves freely in that last little bit sometimes.

-Tom
      PS to Jan if you happen to see this, is it pronounced "Yon" or "Jan"?
      (sorry I just love that popcorn smilie)!! And it goes good with beer!

Vehicles
      1995 urS6, 2005 A8L
      04-15-2012 12:29 AM #4
      Is your trunk closing and then just going back up? If so you probably might just need a new latch (~$40). If its not reaching the closing point and then going back up then you're in the same boat as I am unfortunately . I have taken it apart to see if anything can be done to adjust it slightly to get it going but never got any luck. It would work for a day and go back to normal. From reading a couple of threads, some guys are saying to just try a new latch. I haven't tried it personally so I can't say but I'm assuming thats for the occasions where the trunk will close and just go back up, or it will close but not shut itself completely/correctly. Haven't found any good complete procedures on how to do it either yet

And my name is pronounced "Yon" Us Polish pronounce the J as a Y