Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: wikdslo is going wikdfast - AEB swap thread

1. 02-25-2012 08:44 AM #1
      As it turns out, my first car was an 82 Rabbit diesel. Thus the handle "wikdslo". However, 2 weeks into ownership, my Uncle called me and told me if I wanted the Scirocco, to come get it.. WOOO! And thus began my crusade into Sciroccoland.

Since then, it's undergone a lot. Motor swap, complete suspension, 10.1", to 9.4", now back to 10.1". Several sets of seats, a few steering wheels, many rims/tires, a couple hoods/rad supports. And bleeding knuckles, sweat, and tears o' plenty.

But now it's time to give the car something it always wanted, always tried to have, but never could quite grasp.... Power!

As it currently sits, it has a 2.0L 16v, Autotech cams, header, exhaust, lightened flywheel, 4K w/Quaiffe diff, and some other goodies.

But, the motor, although it will never give up and never let me down, is tired, and could do with a freshening up. Turbo motor is something I've wanted to do for a long time, and the opportunity just came up on a deal that I couldn't pass up.

My first car:

So without further adieu, The Car:
      When I first got it:

Polished up some Castelettes

Early on in my sub-amateur racing career:

The seats:

The custom seat brackets:

The harness swap:

Dropped the bumpers, car was more nimble:

The dog. She was a great little helper. Will be sorely missed:

The second set of seats:

Car has been repainted here, to get rid of rust issues. And I'm super close to being pro-racer at this point.....

Now on to the donor car. Someone started a swap in this with an AEB, about 10 years ago. Has only 10 ~ 20k on the motor I'm told. I did pull the valve cover, and it looks minty fresh.

And, to forcefully induce said AEB:

Today I was planning to pull the motor from the donor car and put it on the motor stand.
      Today is the 3rd time all winter that it has snowed, and it's snowing pretty good. So that won't be happening. I figured at least I could start this thread.

Things are going to progress mostly as money allows. I will have to purchase a lot of new parts, and sell some of my old gear to fund the project. Having just purchased a house and a 6 week old baby decimating the earths supply of diapers, I can foresee this one getting put on the backburner for a tragically long amount of time.

But, there's always hope!
      I never though I'd get so far as to get the motor for the car, so that's a good start!
      And with the motor came the brand new turbo bits:
      Manifold
      T3/T4
      Some piping
      clamp kit
      Blow off valve
      and other stuff I have no clue about.

Will keep this updated as I get work done.

Vehicles
      86 Scirocco 16v, 2010 Golf TDI
      02-25-2012 09:03 AM #2
      Sweet, I wish I had the money for a 1.8t swap

Vehicles
      S1 Storm 20vSC-AWD, 93 Corrado VR6
      02-25-2012 11:49 AM #3
      Awesome! AEB's are tragically simple to wire up. Let me know if you have any questions about any part of the swap. I will be happy to help!

4. 02-25-2012 06:14 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by d-bot View Post
      Awesome! AEB's are tragically simple to wire up. Let me know if you have any questions about any part of the swap. I will be happy to help!
      Thanks! Had my friend over today to help me get his engine hoist.
      We reassessed my situation. Problem is, to go big turbo, even though I have a lot of the turbo stuff, I don't have enough, nor do I have the necessary funds to get it all together soon.
      I don't think I want to keep my car off the road for a year, so a new plan was concocted.

For now, we are going to put the AEB in the car, and leave the K03 on it, mount in an IC, keep the 4k w/diff, and just run it as is.

I might opt for some bigger injectors, turn up the boost a bit, and get a chip, but that will be something I decide a little later.
      The plan will be to get the car running and laying down some rubber. In the meantime I'll keep accumulating parts and $$$ to get the T3/T4 swap done properly.

We raided a hydraulic shops dumpster today and got a bunch of 2" pipes with various bends for the IC piping, as well as some 2.25" piping that we will use for the downpipe.

This way, I keep my exhaust on the car 2.25" straight through, keep the trans, and I don't need to get an aftermarket injection/wiring system going, or any big fussing.

Just a hook it up and drive.

As for your offer about wiring. I was told that the connecting of the harness was easy enough to do. Any literature on that?

I have... CE2 in the car? It's an 82, but I updated to an 85+ panel (I believe) and 16v engine bay harness.

Right now, the AEB harness has some wires cut/spliced that the previous guy had done to get it started up once it was in the car.

Was too cold today, but I got the engine hoist. Tomorrow it comes out!

As time allows, I'll be liquidating all of my 16v/motor parts to help fund the T3/T4 parts accumulation.

Vehicles
      1973 VW 914, 1986 VW Scirocco, 2010 VW GTI
      02-25-2012 06:28 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by wikdslo View Post
      As it currently sits, it has a 2.0L 16v, Autotech cams, header, exhaust, lightened flywheel, 4K w/Quaiffe diff, and some other goodies.
      If you're parting any of this stuff out, let me know! I could be interested in the cams and header.
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris16vRocco View Post
      You are a god among men. Or a man among retards, not sure which.

Vehicles
      02-25-2012 06:30 PM #6
      I think that's a really good plan. My old S1 was a 300 whp 1.8t and right now have a stock 1.8t in my "beater" jetta and it's fun enough in comparison. The largest issue with the AEB is management. You can do an APR "91 or 93" octane chip that will put the boost up to 15 psi which will really wake up the stock set-up.

7. 02-25-2012 06:53 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by cholland_ View Post
      If you're parting any of this stuff out, let me know! I could be interested in the cams and header.
      I am parting out the motor/header!
      I'll have the motor out soon enough, w/cams, injection, header, distibutor, etc.
      Let me know if you are interested in anything.

I also have another 4k gearbox with a .71 5th gear. No diff in that one. The diff is staying with the car until I make enough power that it risks blowing up!

8. 02-25-2012 06:56 PM #8
      I think that's a really good plan. My old S1 was a 300 whp 1.8t and right now have a stock 1.8t in my "beater" jetta and it's fun enough in comparison. The largest issue with the AEB is management. You can do an APR "91 or 93" octane chip that will put the boost up to 15 psi which will really wake up the stock set-up.
      What kind of hp would that be putting down?

Until I get a trans/mounts/shifter, etc, I don't really want to get too close to that 200 hp marker.
      I'm told an 020 is good up to that point, and beyond that you get into grenade territory!

That, and I don't really want to invest much money that I can't recoupe down the road into something I plan to do away with. I'm assuming I'd need a different chip and/or tune when I swap the T3/T4.

Pretend I know nothing about tuning, and that's about as much as I know.

9. 02-25-2012 07:03 PM #9
      I guess to answer my own question, looks like an APR tune would put it at 200hp, 243 tq. Which would kill the trans more than likely.
      And I'd rather not melt the diff. I plan to sell that gearbox and help fund the T3/T4 build!

Vehicles
      1987 20v scirocco e30
      02-25-2012 09:43 PM #10
      I guess to answer my own question, looks like an APR tune would put it at 200hp, 243 tq. Which would kill the trans more than likely.
      And I'd rather not melt the diff. I plan to sell that gearbox and help fund the T3/T4 build!
      i have an aeb swap with a tune and my trans held up for a while
      Quote Originally Posted by saddest6day66 View Post
      Anymore most of them are just mk3-6 kids that want to be "old school" and got a mk2...

11. Member
      Vehicles
      '81 Z1 Scirocco Ragtop, '78 CE (gone :(
      02-26-2012 11:17 AM #11
      How the 020 will hold up is more a function of the operator and how heavy his foot is...

Vehicles
      1987 20v scirocco e30
      02-26-2012 11:21 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by gamblinfool View Post
      How the 020 will hold up is more a function of the operator and how heavy his foot is...
      very very true i had mine a year before it took a sh*t on me, and it was only because i got confident and started to rip on it
      Quote Originally Posted by saddest6day66 View Post
      Anymore most of them are just mk3-6 kids that want to be "old school" and got a mk2...

13. 02-26-2012 08:34 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by gamblinfool View Post

I always have, and always will, rule this car like a tyrant.... with an iron fist.

14. 04-04-2012 10:01 AM #14
      Long time no updates.
      There has been work done.. sort of.

I've been collecting parts slowly but surely. Hit the wreckers and grabbed the vast majority of stuffs I will need from a MKIII for the serpentine setup.
      Have the bracket, waterpump, power steering pump, no alt.
      2 O2J's, shifter, calbes, brackets etc.

Motor is on a motor stand with the serpentine setup started, but I'm having issues figuring out which parts to use.

The AEB waterpump seems to have some big beefy drain plug on the bottom that looks like it will interfere with the power steering pump, so a MKI/II/III waterpump swap will be happening shortly.

Also, as far as coolant hose routing goes, it seems that a lot of the Scirocco 16v hoses would fit quite nicely. Anyone care to comment on this?

And why is it that the MKIII Oil cooler is necessary? Would an external cooler be better for the purpose? I currently have one mounted on the 16v.

Vehicles
      04-04-2012 02:25 PM #15
      Just use the external oil cooler and get rid of the stock unit. It will be better with less BS.

Vehicles
      1982 VW Scirocco
      04-04-2012 05:27 PM #16
      I loved your 1.8t rocco. Watched that video over and over on youtube just gawking....

I plan to buy a 1.8t donor car in the future. The swap isnt too difficult, just costs a bit and takes a bit of time and in my case... space. Because I'm planning on buying a full running AEB donor car.

As for the OP, give us more pics!