Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Results 26 to 28 of 28

    Thread: Running rich...

    1. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 31st, 2008
      Location
      PNW - Oregon
      Posts
      5,780
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      04-04-2012 08:19 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolracer View Post
      Well after all this time I tracked the mifire down to the head gasket, blowing all sorts of pressure through the coolant. Time to park it, tear it down, replace all the gaskets and bearings. Thanks for all your help guys and hopefully I can get this done in a timely manner and get it back on the road!
      prolly just needs the head gasket replaced, not a complete engine rebuild..

    2. Member oldskoolracer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 6th, 2009
      Location
      Clearlake, California
      Posts
      592
      Vehicles
      1989 Golf GTI 16v, 1979 Plymouth Volare 225 supersix, 1998 Escort ZX2, 1992 K1500
      04-06-2012 12:20 PM #27
      Im not doing a full build, the oil pan was smashed along with the exhaust and most of the underside of the car so I want to pull it apart and make sure theres no mechanical damage and replace the pump/ pickup tube as well. I just want it to be legit and a safe daily when it is finally on the road

    3. Member oldskoolracer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 6th, 2009
      Location
      Clearlake, California
      Posts
      592
      Vehicles
      1989 Golf GTI 16v, 1979 Plymouth Volare 225 supersix, 1998 Escort ZX2, 1992 K1500
      01-31-2014 06:43 PM #28
      Bringing this thread back from the dead cause I didnt want to start another... So its been almost 2 years now since I started this madness that is the 16v mk2...

      Heres were I am at now. The engine has been overhauled, replaced all gaskets and seals from top to bottom, new injector o-rings, shrouds, and inserts. Surfaced the head and block, lapped in the valves to make sure they had good clean faces and seal 100% now. All new coolant sensors, oil press sensors, knock sensor, o2 sensor, and as mentioned before all the filters.... In the process everything got painted, the car got a wire tuck, partially shaved bay, and replaced all the suspension, steering and brake components.

      Got it up and running again, have gone through all the wiring, check power, grounds, and continuity in the electrical. It starts and idles at one speed now, got the DPR reading within specs of the Bentley, and the o2 sensor is cycling from a little over .1 to .8v steadily and consitant so Im on the right track... The misfire is still there but I think I have narrowed it to being the coil finally... I used a universal Pertronix canister coil... Couple things Ive learned here, 1: get one that is within the same specified ratings (VW recommends .5-.8 ohm resistance on the primary side for "PL" engines, my coil is 1.5ohm) 2: DO NOT mount an "oil-filled" coil on its side, causes them to leak, vibrate, and cause them to over heat...

      Just wanted to share my findings and to let you all know that I havnt given up and Im still lurking through the forums and hope the info helps someone having similar issues. Hoping to have it all wrapped up and smogged soon. Then I can finally get around to doing the body work and paint. Thanks to all of those who worked with me on here, and Ill be posting more as I go, hopefully starting a build thread soon Heres a couple pics for kicks anyway right now!



    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •