Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Cheap great looking outside base trim for Cabby's convertible top DIY

02-25-2012 01:54 PM #1
      Deleted by member
      Last edited by cab89; 03-23-2012 at 11:43 PM.

Vehicles
      1986 Cabriolet Best Seller; 2000 Jetta VR6; 1990 Vanagon Westfalia
      02-25-2012 02:24 PM #2
      Looks factory to me.
      FWIW, this is what factory looks like:

(Brian's pic)
      Cabby-Info.com -- Your online guide to the VW Cabriolets
      Old Blue's Blog -- The adventures of a 1990 Westfalia
      "Fashion is a waste of money that could be better spent on, say, maintaining your car." ~James May

3. Member
      Vehicles
      83 rabbit convertible 05 4runner
      02-25-2012 05:07 PM #3
      not so sure on calling kammy a "dude". that is brians hand and its not pointing to the part you are referring to, it is just a picture that shows what stock looks like where the trunk lid meets the top (which kammy knows and was trying to show with the pic). It is kind of hard to see what you did in your pictures.. I think how it looks stock looks fine, but if you're happy with your addition then .

and for the record.. no you cannot run something past kammy that is aftermarket and expect her to not notice it. Trust me.. she will see it.
      Last edited by czastrow; 02-25-2012 at 05:09 PM.

Vehicles
      03 ranger, 63.5 galaxie 500. wrecked 92 cabriolet carat
      02-25-2012 07:05 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by cab89 View Post
      I am trying to find a local Cabrio in a salvage yard and I will pull off that trim piece at the back of the top. I think I can make it work with a little modification.
      it's part of the top.....not a trim piece.

edit: i see that you meant try to fit the piece from a cabrio but i dont think it will work. the cabrios top is attached in a totally different way.
      Last edited by lil_squeeker; 02-25-2012 at 07:29 PM.
      "subculture refuses to let this model vw fade away......they are cherished and preserved in spite of logic and economics."

Vehicles
      02-25-2012 08:59 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by czastrow View Post
      it is just a picture that shows what stock looks like where the trunk lid meets the top
      Precisely. Merely wanted to point out the factory-original appearance.

I see now the difference. My top (a Crown) does not have the piping like the factory top. Having removed the original top (or VW replacement top that was put on), I was upset about all the rust from water hiding under the piping on the bottom seam where you cannot see your car being eaten away because water cannot evaporate. I mean that piping was rust welded to the body. It looks like Crown did away with that piping on my top for that reason and I think it is a good idea.
      The top on my car is original and slowly falling apart; the rear retaining cable has loosened up and is no longer snug up against the rear mounting lip:

A result of ^that is a loose-fitting rear section; I can easily lift it up:

(No rust in sight; just old glue and/or cosmoline.)

I would venture to guess that it's because of a loose-fitting and/or improperly installed rear cable (not to mention a leaky rear window) that the rear mounting lip rusts on these cars. A nice, tight-fitting rear cable plus the OEM beading provides a pretty water-tight connection... not to mention looking better (complete and finished).

And, this is the first I've heard of the Crown brand.

How anyone could figure out Kamzcab86 is female from that screen name is beyond me.
      A) Those who've been around here long enough know I'm an XX, not an XY. Some even know my real name!

B) Do not assume that every member of a car forum is a guy.
      "Fashion is a waste of money that could be better spent on, say, maintaining your car." ~James May

6. Member
      Vehicles
      '89 Cabriolet Best Seller '95 Ford Ranger XLT
      02-26-2012 02:28 AM #6
      A) Those who've been around here long enough know I'm an XX, not an XY. Some even know my real name!
      Since you bit your tongue regarding the subject of cats the other day, you've avoided any armadillo ranch fence repair duties and manly-hand comments from me... This time... {chuckle} (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

The top on my car is original and slowly falling apart; the rear retaining cable has loosened up and is no longer snug up against the rear mounting lip
      Still original? For some reason, I thought I recalled that you had already performed that fun job (my memory's slipping!)... After seven (or is it eight now?) years, mine is just about due again, with a small hole in the top center from a piece of ice and the first cracks in the edge-beading at the fold points. Not bad, considering it's never been garaged. It doesn't look bad (still weatherproof) for my first installation but I'd like to correct a few mistakes (arched side-seams being top of the list). My rear cable needs to be tightened (perhaps replaced) now, as well, since it has loosened to the point of becoming quite visible...

"Crown" is not a name I've run across, either... The beading is present on mine, though (an Ebay find and I haven't a clue what brand now) and, as far as I can tell, identical to the original beading. I've yet to encounter any rust issues in the rear lip area, even with the loose cable. That said, my guess is that a loose cable might allow the top's base to shift about some, possibly enough to rub through to metal where rust might then begin... Just a guess...
      My flying/aerial/scenic/transportation-related photography: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vfr_photography/
      Cabriolet photography from years past: http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...usa/?start=all

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet
      02-26-2012 05:37 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by kamzcab86 View Post

And, this is the first I've heard of the Crown brand.

B) Do not assume that every member of a car forum is a guy.
      When doing a Top I have heard of the Crown Brand, Royal Crown, by Seagrams.

Some have even had Lunch with you...

Nat, she has been putting off her top for years, as it is too manly of a job ...
      Grounds, Grounds, Grounds Replace them things.
      Divorces, Great Coffee, and Electrics, all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my grounds ?
      I am a Commodian. I tell really Crappy jokes.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      '89 Cabriolet Best Seller '95 Ford Ranger XLT
      02-26-2012 09:22 AM #8
      When doing a Top I have heard of the Crown Brand, Royal Crown, by Seagrams
      Hmmm... So much for correcting the arched sides on the top if I were to do that brand on top-replacement day... {chuckle}

Nat, she has been putting off her top for years, as it is too manly of a job ...
      Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... We've only got about a 3-hour head start if she flies over this way, Brian... Maybe less with a good tailwind! LOL
      My flying/aerial/scenic/transportation-related photography: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vfr_photography/
      Cabriolet photography from years past: http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...usa/?start=all

Vehicles
      02-26-2012 02:05 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by native-texan_in_tn View Post
      Still original? For some reason, I thought I recalled that you had already performed that fun job (my memory's slipping!)...
      Yeah, well... I bought the top kit years ago, just haven't installed it yet, for several reasons. 1) Other projects and stuff have gotten in the way; 2) she's not driven a whole lot any more so it hasn't been a priority; 3) every time I decide to do it myself, I read Brian's instructions and think, "I'd rather pay The Top Shop (here in PHX) to do it so that nothing gets screwed up"; 4) I'm a perfectionist when it comes to the car, so I want it done to factory specs. The top gets worse every time I put it down now, so it's gotta be done soon.

Quote Originally Posted by briano1234 View Post
      Some have even had Lunch with you...

Indeed!

And, it's not that it's too manly of a job, it's that I know something will get screwed up, even with your awesome instructions, and that means I'm out a chunk of change that I could've just paid a shop to do. Funny thing is, my van could use a new tent and that's a job I'd gladly do.

It looks like an after thought design someone would do in their garage.
      They all leak, they all have wrinkles, they don't look good at the front, they rust out the body (yes they do)
      Respectfully disagree.