Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Loss of power?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      1990 VW Golf GL
      02-25-2012 01:56 PM #1
      I have a 1990 Golf and recently I've been having a very intermittent problem. Started about two weeks ago, I was on a long trip and had been driving the car for about 2 hours. Stopped to get gas. After fueling up I got in and turned the key and I got nothing. No light, no radio, no crank- the whole car was dead. Third or forth time I turned the key the car came back to life- drove it another two hours home and then for the next following week without trouble. This week I've now begun experiencing the car "cutting out" while driving. Each time this has happened I did not have the radio or lights on so I can't be sure, but it seems just like I'm loosing power to everything. When this had happened while driving its only like a fraction of a second, and then drives normal. I checked and noticed if I turn the key off while I'm driving and flip it right back on the temp light flashes, just like I'm going through a start sequence again. I do not however see the temp light flash when the car cuts out on it's own. So this kinda leads me to believe that its not an ignition switch problem. I've giggled wires and checked battery terminals and grounds, found nothing unusual- everything appears to be as it should.

Wondering if anyone had any ideas about what could be causing this, like if there was a common problem thats typical of these cars. Does this sound like it could be the ECM? I'm kinda also ruleing out the fuel pump, but only as it relates to my first symptom when the car was dead and had no power. But I suppose if the fuel pump could cause my car to cut out and then keep running without trigging any dash lights. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Vehicles
      + over 7500 posts pre-ban
      02-25-2012 02:39 PM #2
      jeez, ya answered your own question...replace the ignition switch....
      My 91 GTI 8V, original owner stylz, yo!: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/pdxg...%20july%202013

3. Member
      Vehicles
      1990 VW Golf GL
      02-25-2012 04:00 PM #3
      But as I mentioned, the temp light never flashes when it cuts off while driving, that's why I don't think it's the ignition switch. If I turn the switch off while drive the temp light always flashes when it's turned back on. Wouldn't you think it would do the same if the switch was bad?

Vehicles
      2004 vw jetta wagon, 1990 vw jetta coupe, 1980 rabbit truck
      02-25-2012 04:41 PM #4
      Replace the ignition switch and check your connections and grounds.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ron@RMAMotorsport View Post
      real deal<p>After spending two months in the mk3 forum it drove into the woods and set fire to itself.