Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The time is here

1. 02-26-2012 12:25 AM #1
      I guess I will start a build thread...
      To start off I'm Scott from Virginia. I'm 19 and I am building a 64 Notchback.
      This has been a slow process and will be a slow build due to me paying for it all.
      I am shooting for a full off frame restoration.

This is how it looked when I bought it.

It stayed like this for a year.

I finally took it to get sandblasted and primed.

Body needs some work especially the cheap sunroof patch.

Floor pans will be ordered Monday as well as a front beam.

Thanks for the looks, any feedback is good.

Vehicles
      1965 type 1 chassis car,1971 super beetle,2006 GMC crew cab Duramax,'04 mustang GT
      02-26-2012 08:19 AM #2
      nice to see a youngin' doing it the right way!!! congrats and keep us posted!
      www.401restos.com

Quit your complaining and do it right!!!

Vehicles
      57 Lowlight B7
      02-26-2012 12:21 PM #3
      Nicd ride for sure. Im a sucker for a notch.

Good luck.

Subscribed.
      J
      Quote Originally Posted by WideFive
      If you have to ask if it's a good trade... then it isn't a good trade.
      Quote Originally Posted by Schell R32
      ACW's aren't a watercooled APPLIANCE,it's a classic air cooled pile that takes money,patience and attitude to own it.
      http://www.facebook.com/VWLoosenuts?sk=wall www.cultwagen.com.

4. Member
      02-27-2012 12:20 AM #4
      This thread was posted before....like a yr. ago. Nothing ever became of it.

Vehicles
      57 Lowlight B7
      02-27-2012 12:30 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by zzzdanz View Post
      This thread was posted before....like a yr. ago. Nothing ever became of it.
      man i was thinking i seen this before. but i am such a forum whore wasn't sure if it was from here or another.
      J
      ACW's aren't a watercooled APPLIANCE,it's a classic air cooled pile that takes money,patience and attitude to own it.

6. Member
      02-27-2012 12:40 PM #6
      Yeah bro...I'ld swear I seen it on a cpl forums.

Vehicles
      14 C7 A6 ,1965 TYPE 1, 1956 TYPE 1, 1948 SPLIT
      02-27-2012 01:20 PM #7
      YEP, DAN IS CORRECT IT WAS HERE, I WONT FORGET THAT PIC OF THAT NOTCH.... MAYBE HE IS JUST TRY'N TO REVIVE IT. I DONT REMEMBER IT BEING A BULID THOUGH JUST MORE OF A HEY GUYS LOOK AT MY RIDE TYPE THING.

GOOD LUCK WITH THE PROJECT..
      Smile it will get Worse!!

8. Member
      02-27-2012 05:13 PM #8
      JD I thought I was losing it man It's a great car no doubt...maybe the Bro just got to pulling it apart or something.....w/e as long as there's more to it than just the 1 post all will be cool.
      ....I do dig the snot outta that car

9. 02-27-2012 05:16 PM #9
      Yes I have posted it before I think it was more of a hey thread.
      Didn't have the finances at the time to build it, so I am finally getting to it.

Vehicles
      57 Lowlight B7
      02-27-2012 05:44 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by nubstatus View Post
      Didn't have the finances at the time to build it, so I am finally getting to it.
      sweet. i was hoping that was it.
      J

11. 02-27-2012 05:51 PM #11
      details/pics on the sunroof?

from your rolling shot pics it looks like the body has got a rolled edge so it might be a stock sunroof

12. 02-27-2012 10:20 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by A1steaksauce View Post
      details/pics on the sunroof?

from your rolling shot pics it looks like the body has got a rolled edge so it might be a stock sunroof
      No shots of the sunroof in the car, but it looked like sh*t. The p.o put it in, and it has already been removed, but my fathers friend did a crap patch on it.

13. 02-28-2012 01:54 PM #13
      Two pictures of the sunroof patch with a little bondo.

I actually had a question, I have no problem with my drum brakes but my father thinks disc would be better. Whats your guys few on drums vs disc?

Vehicles
      00 Beetle, 03 Jetta
      02-28-2012 02:41 PM #14
      Is the bondo pitted from sandblasting then primered over? I'm assuming that's why it looks so....rough. You have your work cut out for you in the roof alone. Patience and time bro, I'm sure you'll nail it in the end though.

I'm curious to the feedback from disc vs. drum also....

15. 02-28-2012 03:21 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by tmb077 View Post
      Is the bondo pitted from sandblasting then primered over? I'm assuming that's why it looks so....rough. You have your work cut out for you in the roof alone. Patience and time bro, I'm sure you'll nail it in the end though.

I'm curious to the feedback from disc vs. drum also....
      Thats how it looked when I got it back the sandblasters didn't mess with it that much.
      My family knows someone who has a body shop who said they will help with the work. so im excited to get in there and get it all worked out. But in do time.

Vehicles
      57 Lowlight B7
      02-28-2012 09:45 PM #16
      Get a roof skin that's big enough to cut out the crap and patch it back right.

Widefive drum. These cars are less then 200 pounds. Do you really need to spend the extra money on disks to stop a 2000 popound 50HP to 100HP car????

I would NEVER put disk on any of my ACVW.
      J

17. 02-28-2012 09:58 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by LooseNuts View Post
      Get a roof skin that's big enough to cut out the crap and patch it back right.

Widefive drum. These cars are less then 200 pounds. Do you really need to spend the extra money on disks to stop a 2000 popound 50HP to 100HP car????

I would NEVER put disk on any of my ACVW.
      We did cut a roof off a rusted run down notch to have that welded in but he did his own thing.
      They are widefive though. Your statement is exactly what I was thinking. I guess its more security.

Vehicles
      66Bug, 05Cavvy
      02-28-2012 10:21 PM #18
      I'm running front discs on my car. LOVE THEM. A used to out-drive my drums all the time because, let's face it, people drive faster now then they did when these cars were built. In an emergency braking situation, the braking was dicey a few times. I got a set of wide 5 discs attached to dropped spindles for $200 a couple years ago. Have replaced the pads once since. I can stop on a dime and send back 8 cents change. When it's wet out I do have to be careful not to lock 'em up, especially before I got the 195/50 tires. I'll never go back to drums on the front end.

19. 02-28-2012 10:37 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by SidVicious View Post
      I'm running front discs on my car. LOVE THEM. A used to out-drive my drums all the time because, let's face it, people drive faster now then they did when these cars were built. In an emergency braking situation, the braking was dicey a few times. I got a set of wide 5 discs attached to dropped spindles for $200 a couple years ago. Have replaced the pads once since. I can stop on a dime and send back 8 cents change. When it's wet out I do have to be careful not to lock 'em up, especially before I got the 195/50 tires. I'll never go back to drums on the front end.
      Yeah i bought disc for the front a while ago. I believe I spent 400 or so on them. Didnt pay attention when I bought them and they were for a beetle. So I need a type 1 beam first.

Just weighing stuff out.

20. 02-28-2012 11:26 PM #20
      keep the wide five drum. upgrade the master cylinder to a dual circuit...best and safest mod you can do... anything else in a stock car is a waste.

21. 02-29-2012 02:10 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by A1steaksauce View Post
      anything else in a stock car is a waste.
      What do you mean by this? haha

Vehicles
      14 C7 A6 ,1965 TYPE 1, 1956 TYPE 1, 1948 SPLIT
      02-29-2012 04:31 PM #22
      What do you mean by this? haha
      He is just saying anything more than drums are overkill in a basicly stock car. it's not like you plan on having a 300 hp turbo motor or track days, but if you do you may want the extra stoppin power then.

drums are good for a D/D weekend crusier.
      Smile it will get Worse!!

23. 02-29-2012 04:54 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by JDII View Post
      He is just saying anything more than drums are overkill in a basicly stock car. it's not like you plan on having a 300 hp turbo motor or track days, but if you do you may want the extra stoppin power then.

drums are good for a D/D weekend crusier.
      Oh shes a monster with all of her 1776 motor.
      I talked to my father and he said he thinks the discs would be safer. But sadly I asked him if they are so safe why does his new focus have drums.

Vehicles
      1965 type 1 chassis car,1971 super beetle,2006 GMC crew cab Duramax,'04 mustang GT
      02-29-2012 05:47 PM #24
      drums have been on these cars from 56-79 for a reason..and why do you think drums are on semi's?....cuz they work when pushed.

discs are great for performance and adjustability but for a 2k lb car and no proportioning valves it makes not much sense...put a valve in there after you put on a dual curcuit cyl,new slaves in the rear and a disc kit in the front and it isn't gonna change much..you'll see.

matter of fact i've installed many disc kits on type 1's and nothing for nothing you gotta stomp the pedal to lock them up,but your not stopping as fast as you think..the biggest difference i thought was the pedal feel. all of them had a squish pedal,while the drums were firm and solid...but so does my Duramax and my wife R32 with the discs...it's just the way they are with the caliper slides.
      www.401restos.com

Quit your complaining and do it right!!!

25. 02-29-2012 06:12 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Schell R32 View Post
      drums have been on these cars from 56-79 for a reason..and why do you think drums are on semi's?....cuz they work when pushed.

discs are great for performance and adjustability but for a 2k lb car and no proportioning valves it makes not much sense...put a valve in there after you put on a dual curcuit cyl,new slaves in the rear and a disc kit in the front and it isn't gonna change much..you'll see.

matter of fact i've installed many disc kits on type 1's and nothing for nothing you gotta stomp the pedal to lock them up,but your not stopping as fast as you think..the biggest difference i thought was the pedal feel. all of them had a squish pedal,while the drums were firm and solid...but so does my Duramax and my wife R32 with the discs...it's just the way they are with the caliper slides.
      Yeah i play on just sending them back and using the extra money for some punchdrunk love.

Any good place to get a brake refresh kit or parts?

26. 03-03-2012 02:21 PM #26
      Yeah i play on just sending them back and using the extra money for some punchdrunk love.

Any good place to get a brake refresh kit or parts?
      Nvm, found a place for brake parts.
      Any one know of a good suspension setup for the rear other than stock? Preferably air ride...

27. 07-29-2012 07:22 PM #27
      wow haven't updated this in months. I am getting stuff sandblasted and undercoated this week. I will also be ordering parts from vwispwest.com and Matt at punchdrunk.

28. 08-05-2012 04:46 PM #28
      Got my frame back from sandblasting and it's undercoated. Time for ordering parts and putting it back together.

Vehicles
      1974 vw super beetle 1996 vw jetta 2.0
      08-06-2012 07:27 AM #29
      I'm definitely gunna follow this build main cuz your someone young( I'm 16 myself) that is doing a frame up restoration(that's what I'm hoping for an my 74 beetle) it's going to be a interesting build.

30. 08-06-2012 10:54 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by dunkelxson View Post
      I'm definitely gunna follow this build main cuz your someone young( I'm 16 myself) that is doing a frame up restoration(that's what I'm hoping for an my 74 beetle) it's going to be a interesting build.
      Thanks im trying to get it working on it again.

Anyone know of good suspension for the rear? preferably adjustable or lower.
      Last edited by nubstatus; 08-06-2012 at 11:21 PM.

31. 09-13-2012 03:37 PM #31
      Body work is in work. So far so good looks real clean and smooth.
      Once the panels are done on to the cab.

Vehicles
      57 Lowlight B7
      09-13-2012 03:42 PM #32
      Thanks im trying to get it working on it again.

Anyone know of good suspension for the rear? preferably adjustable or lower.
      your notch already has good suspention it just needs to be adjusted down to lower it if thats what you want.
      J

33. 09-13-2012 03:46 PM #33
      your notch already has good suspention it just needs to be adjusted down to lower it if thats what you want.
      Yeah I am trying to go lower. I'm going to stick with the stock and adjust it down, but what about shocks? I have kyb g-2 that came on it.

Vehicles
      57 Lowlight B7
      09-13-2012 03:49 PM #34
      Your shocks should be fine unless you plan on going WAY down. If you go more than 3 clicks you might want to get the empi lowered shocks..
      J

35. 09-13-2012 03:52 PM #35
      Your shocks should be fine unless you plan on going WAY down. If you go more than 3 clicks you might want to get the empi lowered shocks..
      Oh ok. Well if it's already adjusted like it is how would I tell how many clicks it is already down? Just put it back up then go down a few clicks?
      I'm trying to get on the ground with less camber then what I have in the above pictures.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast