VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

car will not crank or turn over

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  kraim 
#1 ·
I have a 97 jetta 2.0. I went to start the car and when i turn the key, it tried to start like normal but then stopped. I was thinking the battery was dead so i hooked it up to my friends truck and jump started it. When i tried to turn the key nothing happened. It does not click like its a bad starter motor, and i checked all of my grounds. The timing is perfect on the fly wheel cam and distributor. i checked all sensors and visible wires. Could the ecu be bad? Could i have a loose connection to the clutch safety switched? Ignition switch? Im stumped.

#3 ·
1997 should have a clutch switch I think.

Test the battery with a load tester. Did you verify the jumper cable connection when you hooked them up? Make sure the alarm isn't cutting off the starter?

If you've got power on that starter signal wire (small wire) while the key is in the crank position, and battery voltage on the big wire to the starter, the starter is bad. If no 12v at the signal wire while cranking, time to get out the wiring diagram and diagnose the circuit.

#9 ·
You should have 12v on the big wire to the starter at all times, 12v on the small wire to the starter while the key is being held in the crank position, and ground on the starter body, where it bolts to the transmission.

If all those factors are present, the only possible explanation is a bad starter. You've either got a bad reman'd starter out of the box (which is definitely not unheard of), or you skipped a diagnostic step.

#10 ·
I have the exact same problem with my '99 Jetta. Replaced the starter, still didn't start. Removed the new starter and had it checked, starter is good. I'm planning to get the battery checked even though it is two years old. After that, I will check the battery to starter cable and the starter to alternator cable and replace as required. If that doesn't work, I'll concentrate on the grounds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.