Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: April Fool? More like Fox Wagon Fool...

Vehicles
      '88 Fox Wagon x 2; '87 Fox Wagon; '02 Passat GLS Wagon 5-speed (So; Three Foxes and A Pig!)
      05-20-2012 11:23 PM #26
      I just took a break for a couple hours....and a reply ALREADY...! Which IS GOOD..! I WELCOME ANY REPLIES OR RESPONSES THAT ANYONE HAS...because, I wonder very often if ANYONE is EVEN READING any of the nonsense that I have been posting here....

WHAT I HAVE LEARNED is that ONLY ONE in EIGHTY or so people who view this thread take the time, or feel compelled enough (through personal experience or empathy) to make a reply...to those of YOU that HAVE REPLIED...I VERY MUCH THANK YOU AND HOPE YOU WILL CONTINUE TO FOLLOW MY RAMBLINGS...! I kind of find this WHOLE exercise very therapeutic and IT allows me to relate some of the ridiculous things I encountered to anyone who cares to read about my exploits...(to be TOTALLY HONEST with you, I had been reading a NUMBER of the posts and seeing all the pics; so, when I was doing this last summer, these were taken in the hope that they would be appreciated by some of YOU GUYS...!)

In all my years of being on this rock, which isn't really that many, I have YET to meet anyone who can READ MINDS...! So, unless you TELL someone what you are thinking....HOW are they gonna know..? What are we doing on this planet if we can't COMMUNICATE with each other and share knowledge to make our lives easier and more comfortable...? JUST saying...anyway...having said that, please do NOT HESITATE to make a reply to this thread....if you have something to share, PLEASE DO...! GOOD, BAD, ENCOURAGING, disCOURAGING...whatever....part of the problem with this world is INDIFFERENCE...where one could care less one way or the other...HAVE an OPINION, STICK TO IT, SHARE IT, let others KNOW how you feel.......wow.....kinda getting off on a tangent here....MUST be all those '70s chemicals I sprayed in the garage to get rid of the FLYING ANT INFESTATION... I see a few of them around still, but, they LOOK LIKE they are mostly just HUGGING one another.....NOT FLYING ABOUT being a nuisance....!

Alright, enough HUFFING the NASTY TOXINS....back to the HORROR SHOW...!
      This is a shot of the GAPING WOUND after some wire brush action

Now, with RESPECT to Banned wagons' reply; I don't know if I have used a GOOD rust remover/converter, I used the ONLY ONE I could find...! I tried to apply it as LIBERALLY as I could without having it drip all over the driveway...[ALSO: WOULD VERY MUCH LIKE TO LEARN HOW TO WELD...!] ...my Dad welded for a living (steamfitter!), but he's too old (and FAT) to get off his ass and teach me anything...!

Here is the AFTER pic...this photo is slightly OUT of focus for some reason...looked okay before....

...the rear left bumper rail...

This is the rear bumper rail with the acid on it...already did the stud in the BG...

...the rear right rail....leave it sit for 10 minutes or so...

...the fuel filler door...

...rear right tail lens area...

...rear right bumper rail...

...The gaping wound AFTER marinating in the ACID for ten minutes...and a quick rinse with water...

...the rear left rail after a bath...

... more of the bumper rail to the right...

...th rear right portion of the bumper rail after the treatment...

...the rear tail lens area...

...CLOSE UP....!

...AND the fuel filler door...!

All is ready for re-coating of some sort...the sooner the better...! What happens is, ANY kind of moisture (...EVEN DEW...!) hits this area, the RUST BEGINS AGAIN, so be SURE to get some kind of coating on it as soon as possible...! I didn't....that is HOW I know this is what happens...!

...The ECHO chamber ready for surgery...

...the rear left part of the hatch closure...ready to be refinished...

The middle section ready to go...

...the rear rail ready for re-coating...

...the tail lens area...

....the fuel door...

....and, a video to describe the progress of this thread....and ALSO, the WORLDS' ONLY SNAIL WITH A BACK-UP WARNING ALARM (Have the volume turned UP and BE QUIET to hear it...!) [Just CLICK on the snail picture and you will be taken to a link of the video...!]

...AND also, as a TREAT for following along this FAR...a pic of my garage door...maybe you have seen it in a video (WOODYS' LAST MOMENTS...) ...or pieces of it in pics in this thread....I painted it when I was 15 years old..!! That was over three decades ago and it is STILL PRETTY COOL..!! ...anyway, I hope you like it...I see it every day, not everybody does...it isn't something that YOU SEE EVERYDAY...! ...for most people...

...there are numerous dents in the garage door from "taking shots" as a kid, shooting tennis balls at the door....and also a few from my friends who had motorbikes, who would take runs at my garage door (while they were HIGH) from the apartment driveway across the street from my house, reach 100 km\h, then do a front WHEELIE STOP RIGHT AT THE DOOR, TIMING IT SO THAT THE MOMENTUM SUBSIDES JUST ENOUGH TO TOUCH THE VISOR TO THE FOCAL POINT OF THE PAINTING....!!! (...they know who they are...! and YEAH, I KNOW it was YOU...!)

It is VICTORIA DAY here in Toronto and all of Canada, which means, a PAID day off of work, and the opportunity to revisit the childhood tendencies of being a PYROMANIAC...! The WONDERFUL time BEFORE we all (sorta) grew up and learned to play nicely with the other children..., a time when setting things ablaze and watching them go, BOOM! was a tremendous thrill (...STILL IS SOMETIMES...!) NEED TO GO GET ME SOME OF THAT...! (I have some unauthorized firecrackers that NEED lighting) not infringing on any ones liberties though...safety first!

I think the rear right wheel arch is next...gotta find my pics...that will be for next time...til then.....HAPPY V D ! ...wait, THAT didn't sound right....!
      KRAMMIT ...STAY TUNED! I KNOW I DO!

Vehicles
      '88 Fox Wagon x 2; '87 Fox Wagon; '02 Passat GLS Wagon 5-speed (So; Three Foxes and A Pig!)
      05-21-2012 01:43 PM #27
      Okay, found my pics, gotta keep plugging away at this to "Git 'er DONE!", yeah right, will there EVER BE a FINISH LINE...?

A few BEFORE pics to show what there was left to work with...
      This is the inner lip of the arch, looking from the hub to about 11 o'clock...(right profile)...

...the rear right area, about 8" of the arch is MISSING...

...I think there was about 3" left at the top of the arch to work with....the rest is GONE...!

....Pretty Slim Pickens left after "tickling" away the flimsy parts....

....Made myself a little gadget to help me see what I'm doing...AGAIN with the TAPE...!

...the inside of the rear of the well...keep in mind, this is STILL WINGIN IT..! (beginning to have a clue...minor...!)

...wrap it up...in FIBREGAUZE...!

....the inner edge that wasn't really there before...

...the front section of the wheel well...bit of resin there too...!

...Not REALLY sure what my plan IS at this point....but, I'M STICKING TO IT...!

...apply some of the resin mixture to ANCHOR all this TAPE to the car...

....only have ONE CHANCE to MAKE IT STICK...!

...One thing I did find was it was difficult to get all the air bubbles out during fibreglass application due to ALL the layers of tape...I think just enough to cover the area would be sufficient...I was trying to create a skeleton upon which to rebuild...

This is the rear of the wheel well after the mixture has been applied...(note that it is DARK in the BG...!) (....slow is smooth...!)

...and behind the rear right wheel...

There is still more to be done to these arches, I just hadn't figured out what at this point...

I have shied away from using putty because I heard people say that it doesn't stay put very long; vibrates loose over time; is porous, so it will absorb water eventually, get heavy, then fall away...well, i decided to find out for myself....why go on someone else' say-so...?!?

You will have seen the use of putty earlier in this thread; but, that was in an effort to answer Chris' (redone17) request for a bodywork how-to post (the segment about the windshield...!); I think I declared that the pics were out of sequence as far as how they actually happened...anyway...

So I went and bought a tin of Bondo-Glas (the GREEN cake frosting with the RED icing/hardener!) and played about with it on the rear end of the Wagon, patching up all those spots that were rusted....but, that will be for the NEXT post..!

Vehicles
      '69 RATBED volksrod, 00 new beetle, 88 fox wagon, '89 fox wagon, half of a '93 fox sedan
      05-21-2012 03:42 PM #28
      patiently waiting for the next installment

Vehicles
      05-21-2012 04:58 PM #29
      The First place that I decided to try the putty was on the rear left lens area....

...then just kept going around the car looking for spots...

....the rear hatch sill...

...the right tail lens area...

....around the fuel filler cap...

...and the door itself...

...after some sanding...

....more sanding...

...also decided it was time to patch the Gaping Wound...it was getting me down, making me feel discouraged whenever I looked at it, like I was NEVER gonna get this thing finished...

Well, there it is, not pretty, but sealed...

....view from below...

....oh look, night has fallen upon me again....

...a view from beneath the Wound...you can see there is STILL MORE work to do...! (THAT'S where that piece of GLOVE got to...!)

...a shot of the INSIDE of the quarter panel....the resin sagged and made an uneven finish...I should have had a 6'6'' friend stick his arm down there to hold it while it set...!!! Ah well, hindsight is 20/20, right...? At least it is sealed now...I can get on with it...one area at a time....!

Keep following...I was going to wrap the arches like a cast...but, then I had an IDEA....!

Vehicles
      1988 Fox GL Wagon; 1997 Golf GTI
      05-21-2012 09:39 PM #30
      I have to say, the biggest thing I have taken from your thread is... thank god I don't live where you do. I don't think I could handle watching my car rust away.

Thanks for the updates. It's like watching something saved from the literal age of death.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      99 Honda Accord LX 4 cyl./5 speed; 88 Volkswagen Fox GL Wagon
      05-21-2012 09:57 PM #31
      Always look forward to the updates on your thread. I like the commentary and am glad you saved this car from being scrapped.

7. 05-22-2012 12:49 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by doppelfaust View Post
      I have to say, the biggest thing I have taken from your thread is... thank god I don't live where you do. I don't think I could handle watching my car rust away.

Thanks for the updates. It's like watching something saved from the literal age of death.
      yea rust sucks ! we have issues with it out my way but it only attacks the top side of the car

Vehicles
      05-23-2012 12:44 AM #33
      Well, in ALL HONESTY...it wasn't EXACTLY my idea...My IDEA was to get a JIG made so that I could SUPPORT the freshly applied resin mixture with the fibreglass mats and cloths in place....so that the whole mess wouldn't OOZE and SAG all over the place.....I thought I was on the RIGHT track...

I went my good friends at ULTRA AUTO SOUND (...shameless plug...!) and asked Said [Sa-eed] if he could make me a jig, he said, "Sure, for the front or rear arch...?", I said, "I want it for the rear; but you can use the front arch, I think they are the same." AAAAEEEYYYEEERNNNT!! Wrong again BOB! They do differ slightly (realized this fact AFTER the jig was UP!)

Anyway, I was DETERMINED to make THIS WORK...! SAID made the jig for me out of an off cut of MDF board and doubled the thickness (at my request!) for a case of BEER! (ANOTHER GREAT GUY I have met along the way on this journey!)

SO, now armed with my (approx.) 30" x 15" x 1 1/14" jig made from MDF (Medium Density Fibre) , basically sawdust and glue COMPRESSED under MASSIVE AMOUNTS of HEAT and PRESSURE, no knots, imperfections, BUT ALSO HEAVY AS GRANITE...!!

I had to devise some kind of STAND that was capable of supporting this MONSTROSITY long enough to allow the resin to set.......THEN IT HAPPENED...! Another GREAT FRIEND of mine, DAVE, and I were in the garage drinking beer cuz it was STORMING (thunder, lightning, etc.) outside; can't WORK on the car, time to PLAN the work TO BE DONE on the car.....Dave is GREAT to bounce IDEAS off of, because they NEVER come back in the direction that you were anticipating....he has a history of thinking outside the box, sometimes WAAAYYY outside...at any rate...we were halfway through the two-four when he muttered something like, "...it's TOO BAD you couldn't build the arch OFF of the car....NAH...! That wouldn't work..." "WAIT...! WHAT?!?....THAT'S IT...!!!" (...see it WASN'T actually MY idea...but) ...Make The Arch First! Then, Fasten IT To The Car....! Thanks Dave...!!! [MAYBE IF I wasn't LOADED, I WOULD have THOUGHT of it myself...]

...okay, I KNOW you guys LOVE PICTURES...!! Who am I to disappoint...?
      THIS became the STAR of the SHOW...!

It looks kind of FLASHY due to it being dressed in ALCAN...! I put the foil on it so the moulded arch would come away from the jig easily, and THAT actually worked, what I soon discovered, was that the foil does NOT like to come away from the moulded piece very easily...well certainly NOT in ONE PIECE anyway...several, lots, & many pieces would be more accurate....
      ....Those wrinkles on the foil (I later found out!) will manifest themselves in the mould in a negative fashion (NO pun intended.....really?) , do you know how hard it is to make a square sheet of something LAY FLAT on something ROUND without any WRINKLES...?!? Again, patience NOT included...at least not THAT day...

What better way to FIND OUT what this stuff is all about, than just PLAY with it...? Find out what is smells like, didn't TASTE it due its' TOXICITY level; the SMELL can make your HEAD SPIN, initially, VERY slight euphoria....but, prolonged UNprotected exposure WILL give you a headache to remember....(HOW do you think I found out...?) so PROTECT yourself; and this stuff is ACTUALLY QUITE FUN to mess around with...!

THIS pathetic looking STAIN on the foil is my FIRST effort at FABRICATION...

I used only a SINGLE layer of cloth (with the grid-like weave) and thought I would be FANCY and use a WIDE sheet and FOLD it to create the lip of the arch...THAT DAMN BUZZER went off again....telling me that I had effed up once more.....

The procedure was to coat the foil with the mixture, have your pre-cut-to-size piece ready to go, thoroughly wet it, and apply to the desired area...LOOKS LIKE AN AERO BAR...(...there are NOT supposed to be ANY BUBBLES AT ALL...!)

...You can see the TREMENDOUS AIR POCKET trapped in here...note to self...DON'T TRY TO BE FANCY...!! For the NEXT effort, I decided, NO FOLDING, and to go with a layer of resin on the foil, a layer of cloth, resin, a layer of mat, resin, & a layer of cloth, then LEAVE IT to set...I have a tendency to OVERWORK things, gets me in trouble sometimes.....but how else do you LEARN ABOUT FIRE, IF YOU DON'T PLAY WITH MATCHES...?

HERE is the FIRST PROTOTYPE....! Was I happy with it...? Would YOU BE..? Could I do BETTER...? ...pretty sure....

...Not a bad fit though...

...you can SEE how this HAS MERIT.......[ahhh, I KNEW a girl named Merritt...but NOT like THAT.....we were seven...!]......

....would you look at THAT....OVER A DOZEN PIECES OF FOIL STILL STUCK TO IT...!...oh yeah, and....it's DARK OUT AGAIN....! The street lights are ON...!

Time for me to end this segment...keep following to see MORE OF: REALLY FLIMSY STUFF + GOOEY STUFF = WHEEL ARCHES THAT CANNOT RUST....! (at least until I'M done with the car I HOPE!)

Vehicles
      05-23-2012 11:52 PM #34
      At some point last summer....I became OVERWHELMED by the amount of work I was facing before the weather was going to get uncooperative...I learned the value of picking one project or area to do at a time, complete it, then move onto the next...since I had just patched the 'gaping wound', I thought I should plug up the area that GAVE BIRTH to the DISH RAG...this approach to the quarter panel involved going at it from the inside, via the right tail lens....

I just filled any areas that had LIGHT shining through, with the mixture and mat until it oozed through the bottom and set...

Still not knowing exactly WHAT I was doing....I was trying different approaches to applying, different ratios of resin to hardener, trying to work OUT of the SUN, at some point I recall putting the tin of resin in my BEER fridge to keep it cool, perhaps extending the workability time a couple precious minutes...(seconds count!)

I needed to make some more arches before tackling the wheel wells....and also consider a method for fastening them to the car....
      Wrapped the form in foil again, trying to keep the wrinkles down to a minimum on the lip...got out the goop...went for round two...

Now was a good time to clean up a loose end....I needed to drill and tap those two studs I snapped off in the rear bumper rail...the pic on the right side was brutally blurry...you get the idea...

While I was waiting for round (partially round?) two to set, I had some time to mix up some resin mixture, and paint it over the areas that were just puttied...just to see what it would look like...

....Turns out....I LIKED IT...!

...so I painted it EVERYWHERE...!

I wanted to make the drivers door sill nice...only because I will SEE it every time I get into the car...THIS needed some more work...

....this looked okay....AT NIGHT, AFTER INHALING FUMES (and beers!) ALL DAY...!

....But, a light sanding, and CLOSE inspection revealed many depressions and imperfections, a couple tiny holes as well...

...I ended up covering the wee cleats that hold on that bottom trim rail...I don't think I'm going to worry about it too much....I would rather effectively SEAL the holes that are in the door sill...

Back to the garage for MORE FIBREGLASS FUN....covered the form again...cut my pieces ahead of time, planned out where they were going to go...

...resin mixture onto the foil, a coated layer of cloth, MORE resin on top of the cloth, then a soaked layer of MAT in the mixture, another coating of resin, then a final top layer of the cloth with its own coating of mixture.....the result...

You can SEE it...not the ABORTION that the first effort was....!

...strip the mould and cover it again for round four...

....Same approach....

...Similar result....!

After stripping away all the bitty foil pieces..........................(I don't think my netbook has enough dots in it...!) I now had THREE decent arches...AND the first one...!.....so, I got a Sharpie, a mini hacksaw, a drill, and a box of outdoor construction screws...and had A FITTING SESSION...LEFT SIDE...

...here you can see the shadow of the original behind what I am intending....

....I think this will just get drizzled with resin; like syrup on pancakes...

...RIGHT SIDE...

...NOT many places to screw INTO...this lip was all but gone....

....Note there are NO SCREWS on the inside lip for about 7-8"; there was nothing THERE to fasten to...

I used the Sharpie to LABEL all my segments, cut pieces of MAT for each segment, put LOCATING MARKS on the fender and the arches, laid out my materials so they were easy to locate when needed, ALSO, (very important!) covered my SCREWDRIVER with paper towel and masking tape, leaving only the BIT EXPOSED....didn't want to goop up my screwdriver...!

I was going to do the TOP arch first; then, in second and third batch mixings; fasten the smaller pieces....that was my approach...

...the smaller segments...

....and my "Heavy as Granite" mixing/applying board, with assorted requirements...*TIP* That clear vinyl tube is the hardener; USE A SEWING NEEDLE TO PIERCE the opening, that will make the drops smaller, and EASIER to measure....(I used the end of a pair of scissors the first time...! The drops were HUGE...! ...bad results...!)

I REALLY HATE to DO THIS....but, it's getting LATE again....I've been out here 'til 2am the last couple nights trying to get this CLOSER to being....uh...well.....let's say....UP TO DATE....with respect to the CURRENT timeline...Yeah, that's it....up...to....date....CLOSER! Closer up to date. (Damn! JUST when it was getting to actually ACCOMPLISHING something....!)

I look forward to your comments, Gentlemen, if anyone is watching...!?!

Vehicles
      05-25-2012 01:41 AM #35
      Oh well...the work goes on....this was probably the MOST challenging application of the project so far...wadding up the resin soaked mat between the mould and the arch, while trying to locate the holes for the screws....SEVERAL times in 10 minutes... (it was HOT out...!) .....Anyway....

...the front of the arch...zoom in to see the ooze at the joins...

...the rear section...

...then it was over to the other side to plan IT out...the rear of the right well...

....locating marks on the car...

...And while I was working on the front part of the arch, my LUCKY DAY...can you IMAGINE WHAT I FOUND....? ANOTHER PROJECT...!

....Not sure...but, I think that ORANGE MARSHMALLOW is remnants of some other previous patchwork....looks as though the metal it was attached to....ISN'T...!....no matter...that's WHY I'm doing this....!

...the front part of the car wasn't the ONLY area that NEEDED patching at the welding shop...das ist Haesslich...........gotta get MORE FROSTING......!

....The corresponding area on the other side....ALSO in NEED of some...well, ...okay, LOTS...of TLC....!

...Applied some resin and mat to plug this side......(in the distance....you can see the apartment driveway that my MANIAC friends used to RUSH my garage door on their RICE ROCKETS........100km/h; then touch the visor to the focal point on a wheelie stop...! SAFE !! )

...no hole any more...

Then...one Saturday at about 7 in the morning...the front yard was being torn up......there were interlocking bricks and (rotted!) rail road ties......NO MORE...!

(....YUP...!!! WE ARE THAT HOUSE...!!!!)

What were they going to do with all the bricks...? ....I wondered....then I made a SUGGESTION......
      ...what used to LOOK LIKE THIS....

...now looks....LIKE THIS...! SWEET...! Another place to PARK...!!

The guy who put the bricks down did a FANTASTIC JOB...! Just a little bit too CONVEX as far as being level goes....but the driveway is FAR from being LEVEL anyway...

...As a small project to do while the LANDSCRAPING was going on......BEFORE...

.....AFTER...!

...Just some putty with a coating of resin afterwards.......

......some PUTTY spread on the INSIDE of the well, just along the NEW ARCH....hmmmm....looks like the TAPE was a GOOD IDEA after all...!

...the left side body/chassis seam.....

......slight pan out...

Looks better than it did....!

....the NEXT DAY....AFTER A LOT OF PUTTY.......

...then after A LOT OF SANDING....!

...the PROBLEM AREA after some putty and resin treatment....

....did I mention that I liked to paint that resin mixture EVERYWHERE.....?

...why not here...?

....and ALL AROUND here....

....here...

....ALL ALONG HERE....

....and here...

....the NEWEST project area...(the ORANGE MARSHMALLOW...!)

...and the FLOOR PAN beneath the passenger seat...AFTER A COAT OF FROSTING....!

NEXT UP: a visit from an ALIEN...!

(....been at it for a couple hours now, need a break...!)
      Nachste Zeit..! Aufwiederschreiben...!

11. 05-25-2012 02:34 AM #36
      the "orange marshmallow" is a the factory seam sealer. it tends to get pretty thick in the rear corners.

(opinion)
      from what i can see in the pictures you are not stripping all the paint and rust off and treating the rust and priming the metal, before slathering any fiberglass resin or filler. I fear you will make a entire now car out of glass and all the rust will be happily rusting away unseen under it all.

Vehicles
      05-27-2012 08:32 PM #37
      I was VERY CURIOUS as to what that actually was....THANK YOU, Banned wagon, for letting me know....I thought it might have been leftovers from a previous patching job...it kind of resembles the appearance of GREAT STUFF insulating foam after a couple years of exposure to the elements...I only say this because I have USED that stuff on my White '87 Wagon to fill gaps (...BIG ONES...!) and after a couple years, it LOOKS SIMILAR to the factory sealant....!

With RESPECT to the rusted areas NOT being treated BEFORE covering them with resin mixture; I must admit that my pictorial presentation DOES have many GAPS in it...! I'm VERY PARTICULAR about how I treat my STUFF...I TRY to WORK CLEANLY so as to minimize the amount of CLEAN UP work at the END of the JOB...I LIKE to keep my TOOLS CLEAN and ESPECIALLY my electronic gadgetry...so, I may NOT have captured digitally, an image of the GREEN rust remover on some areas....but I DID go through TWO bottles of the stuff last summer...

...applying it to EVERYTHING ORANGE (except the marshmallow) that I could find....areas that I may have MISSED, I hope would have been addressed by my having had the car OILSPRAYED (Rust-Proofed IS SOOOOOO INACCURATE...!) after I had finished work on it for the summer...a buddy of mine works at a Krown facility, I removed the rear tail lens', and rear interior panels to make access easier...he let me watch and instruct where to NOT drill to get inside; (I didn't want them to drill through my fresh handiwork...!) I also hadn't put the carpet down as yet, (still haven't!) so, they were able to get to a lot of places within the frame....

So, I'm hoping that what Banned wagon has described DOESN'T happen, WHO KNOWS what this ABSURD Canadian climate will dish out next (Last winter was the MILDEST I have EVER experienced!)....?

But, IF some RUST does appear; I guess I will, in a few years, be making a post saying, "YOU TOLD ME SO...!" I hope I never have to make THAT post....!

May I take this opportunity to say, THANK YOU, to Banned wagon....! I have made but LESS than 50 posts in this particular corner of cyberspace....AND for someone like Banned wagon, who has posted MORE THAN 100 TIMES my input...(MOST CERTAINLY A UBIQUITOUS ICON TO THIS FORUM....!)..I AM TRULY HONOURED that you would take an INTEREST in my INAUGURAL THREAD....MUCH LESS, POST A REPLY....! I VERY MUCH APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT as I am relatively NEW to THIS FORUM...!

I also have to say that it is DIFFICULT to be a sidewalk /driveway mechanic....it is EVEN MORE DIFFICULT to be a sidewalk/driveway BODYWORK amateur....not having the LUXURY of a covered, climate controlled environment; forces one to deal with the ELEMENTS (and also a SLOPED work area!) which ISN'T a BIG deal when it is nice and calm out; but, when the WIND PICKS UP, or the increased HEAT due to exposure to the sun, or the inverse, sudden sun showers...etc...not excuses, just declarations of fluctuating conditions...but, certainly factors that are prevalent and to be considered and dealt with accordingly......to work INDOORS...WOW...! That WOULD be nice....there is ACTUALLY a 2 car garage attached to this house...but it is currently being used as a MASS STORAGE DEVICE...! (And also MY HANGOUT to get away from.......THEM....!)

Once again, THANK YOU to ALL who take the time to reply to this thread (I DID go and get some PLASTIC MIXING CONTAINERS [THANX "lilgreydentwagen" !] and am anxious to see how they affect curing times...!) and I hope that you will continue to follow...

So far, I think my pics are up to mid-September....so, there isn't much more to show...

That ALIEN was ACTUALLY ME in my double-layered TYVEC sanding get-up with respirator...I used a RIDGID 5" oscillating palm sander with a 100 grit disc with a variable speed control; at half speed, it spits out a considerable cloud of dust; at FULL SPEED....YOU WEAR IT...!! I had a FAN set up to feed fresh air to my working area; but I have YET to FIND a FAN that can SUPPRESS the effects of the WIND...so, not wishing to ITCH for the NEXT WEEK....this was my approach...(yes, I wore goggles as well...!)

Before i begin with the onslaught of pics again, as a testament to the WATER REPELLING abilities of this resin mixture with the cloth...for the last TWO DECADES the eavestrough at the corners of my house have LEAKED MISERABLY...!; with MUCH LESS care than I was taking on my car; I did this EIGHT MONTHS AGO...

...AND NOT A SINGLE DROP SINCE...! Any moisture is due to OVERFLOW from the downpipes being clogged....(which I just yesterday cleaned out; the corners [3] LOOK GOOD after that duration of exposure.) It was refreshing to NOT have the habitual skating rink to the front door this past winter...
      Again, I am NEW to working with this stuff, had a curiosity to satisfy, thought you might like to see too....thanks for your patience....

Now, back to FIBREFEST 2011....!

After getting my fabricated mouldings fastened...I felt there was something else needed...in accordance with my putty/resin glaze approach...why not here too?

....the right side...

....the left underside seam...(haven't had the front up in the air as yet...let me get to it....!)

...the left side AFTER GLAZING with the mixture.....(you can see the reflection of my finger in the gloss...! )

...the other side...

...the floor pan on the right side...

....early morning dew on one of the PROBLEM AREAS....

....after a MAD amount of SANDING with the palm sander...the left side...

...the area of the GAPING WOUND (to the bottom right of the pic) ...

...the right side...(kinda looks dark out again, don't you think...?)

...note the FLINTSTONESQUE FINISH to the arch....it doesn't get much better than THAT!.......no, I MEAN IT...! This stuff is QUITE SOLID...and THAT'S about as GOOD as I can GET IT...!!! (...for now...)

It was FAST approaching October...and my days of WORKABLE WEATHER were quickly drawing to a close....TIME to get some PRIMER and PAINT on THIS FOX...! (Perhaps you disagree; but, I was THERE; IT WAS TIME...!)

...rear left corner....

...the right side...

Though I DO have a compressor...it has ONLY a 7.5 Gallon reservoir....NOT SUITABLE for painting a car because I would use all the stored air in a few seconds...then have to WAIT for the tank to refill...so, I went with a few spray cans of automotive primer that I had laying around the garage; apparently being saved for JUST THIS PURPOSE...(cuz I ran out just as I finished...!) Having a LARGE capacity reservoir would have been nice, but, wouldn't have done me any good at the time due to me NOT having a spray gun....I DO have an AIRBRUSH; but, that would have taken WAY TOO LONG (7ml reservoir!)

...just unclip my handy dandy spray can trigger (I LOVE THIS THING...!) to change to paint...(I let the primer dry a couple hours....)...and PRESTO..! (do magicians EVEN SAY THAT ANY MORE...? Does anyone EVEN KNOW what a MAGICIAN IS any more....? Ahh, the LOST ARTS....) Some Silver paint....though I think the car might be GREY....looking at it now....maybe just faded versus new...

...from a different angle...

....the right side with paint...

...another view...

...the rear sill and bumper rail...

...a better shot of the bumper rail...(...not much...!)

....a view from the right rear of the car...

...with lens and bumper cover back in place...

...and the right side...lens is missing due to it being CRACKED...(I am currently trying to FIX IT...can't seem to find a replacement anywhere....if I'm LUCKY ENOUGH to EVEN FIND a Wagon....THAT LENS is either MISSING or MESSED UP worse than the one that I have...!)

Whaddaya know...Its DARK AGAIN....(in the photos)...! After a summer of spending MORE TIME BENEATH this car than ACTUALLY IN IT....I feel a SHRED of what ALAIN must be going thru (HIS BUILD has been an on going project for FIVE YEARS) with respect to doing work, and NOT being able to enjoy your efforts...I MUST ALSO SAY that my car ISN'T A FRACTION OF THE MACHINE THAT ALAIN IS PUTTING TOGETHER.....!!
      ...we might have the same emblem on the grille...but that is where the similarities stop...

But, for me, for now, this is what I have accomplished....to this point....the CALENDAR IS TICKING...there is still MORE to follow......(plus I'm hungry....think I 'll go get a pepperoni pizza in the Silver wagon....the White one won't start...I think Eric (efritsch) is RIGHT; there MUST be a bad GROUND somewhere....there's a GHOST IN MY MACHINE...!)

Next up: ...gonna drop the rear end and see what FUN there IS to be HAD on the FRONT END of the car....

13. Member
      Vehicles
      '90 VW Fox Turbo, '93 Grand Cherokee V8
      05-28-2012 12:29 PM #38
      Definitely looks better in paint! Turned out better than it seemed it was going to when you first started. Fiberglass resin really is tough to sand. After you had sanded as much as you could though, it would have been nice to fill in the low spots with body filler, which is much much easier to sand afterwards to make the whole thing smooth.

Either way though, whenever you fiberglass over the original body sheet metal, it is never going to look stock again unless you grind everything down. Definitely looks solid and stronger than it was though! Would like to see that one in person sometime

Vehicles
      06-03-2012 09:25 PM #39
      Thanks for the reply ALAIN...! I know what you are saying about the addition of resin the body sheet metal NOT going to look like STOCK without a TREMENDOUS AMOUNT of grinding /sanding.....I realized at some point last summer that this was NOT going to look PRETTY after I was finished....and at the SAME time reminded myself that it IS a GREAT DEAL more structurally SOUND than it was BEFORE I started...which was what I set out to do....aesthetics be damned....function first...! But, QUITE RIGHT; not very visually appealing...it does look better with some primer & paint....the ONE thing that I am confident of...is that these arches are SOLID...! (The New CARS that I see every day look pretty, but, when you press on ANY metal panel...it "oilcans" because the gauge of the metal in the panel is SO THIN!) SHOPPING CARTS BEWARE...!!

15. Member
      Vehicles
      1987 VW aba Fox, 1977 Chevy ElCamino, 7 jetskis...
      06-04-2012 11:34 PM #40
      clipper kits fit perfect of Foxes =) i just got 1 for mine and putting it on after the new metal rockers r replaced.

Vehicles
      06-05-2012 10:06 PM #41
      That would be cool...! I would be INTERESTED in seeing pics of THAT...! Feel free to post some pics of the "CLIPPED" FOX on this thread...! For one, to break up the monotony of my presentation; and, for two, to show what more SENSIBLE FOX OWNERS would do....[I JUST REALIZED what I have WRITTEN.......A SENSIBLE FOX OWNER.....!!! .......still laughing...!!!]...rather than take on a NEW hobby...! (...BUT, then what would I have DONE all last summer...?)

Please DO post some pics of your updated ride...! I have thought about trying my hand at making a front air dam to bolt onto the bottom of the existing Fox bumper cover....maybe extending, perhaps another 2 1/2 - 3 inches lower, and wrapping around the sides to deflect around the front tires.........maybe I should STUFF MY PIPE AGAIN
      and see if the DREAM comes into focus......!

Vehicles
      06-06-2012 02:30 AM #42
      Looking at the time stamp on the pic (October 9th, '11, 1:25pm), this must've been a weekend that I had some time to play.....dropped the rear end down, put the front end up RIDICULOUSLY HIGH in the air (for being on a sloped driveway....!) with these axle stands that my Dad made (back in HIS day!) [apparently he COULD WELD!] in his younger years.....he used to RALLY RACE back in the SIXTIES when the rules were VERY SLACK....!! Not GROUP B or anything ABSURD like that.....BUT, he WAS APPROACHED to go PRO; but, DECLINED; wanting to START a family and so forth....which I suppose I should be THANKFUL for....otherwise I wouldn't be writing this...

But, I DIGRESS....!!! the front left wing, behind the front wheel, in front of the door pillar....

Yeah...I know.....there is supposed to SOMETHING there...isn't there...?

From a step back...

A shot of the upper left wheel well, by the shock tower....

....In front of the shock...(you can SEE, the LEAVES are TURNING....!)_

...The front Right wheel well, to the rear......(You can see where there was some CREATIVE WELDING done by my friend ED, at VANGRO WELDING....shameless PLUG....GREAT GUY THOUGH! ...I DID treat this area with the ACID.....!)

...upper edge of what is LEFT of the original edge of the fender lip; right front....

....right front arch...panned out.....(that's optimistic!) [Still got the SNOWS on WOODY!! *note* White Wagon was known as WOODY, due to the wood panelling that was applied all around; hence, 2nd White Wagon = Woody II .....Woody I: DONATE PROSPEROUSLY !!!! I MUST remember to STRIP the vinyl that I applied....to expose the wood-grain vinyl that someone applied; BEFORE they drove the car to Toronto from CALGARY some years ago.......(I SAW IT ADVERTISED AS A 5-SPEED....!!!! S - U - C - K - E - R !!!!!!!!) [....IF...YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE THE LEVEL OF DISAPPOINTMENT AFTER DRIVING A 5-SPEED SINCE 1984 TO REALIZE THE ABSENCE OF A FIFTH GEAR.......devastating........! HOWEVER!!!!!! I HAVE GROWN TO LOVE THE 4-SPEED TRANSMISSION......!!!!

I know what you're thinking.....pack another pipe dream....! But, in all honesty; a first gear that goes to 70 km/h...? and I have YET to TOP out my fourth.....maybe cuz I haven't found enough road......or horses......!
      ....in THIS CITY...FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR TOO MANY IDIOTS in THIS CITY who DON'T KNOW HOW TO DRIVE.........!!!!!! {my Scirocco of 13 years had been SMOKED by some KNOB coming out of LA TRATTORIA with ONE TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MANY VINOS in HIM...mashed the right front signal back to where the alternator should be....!!!!!} this was back in '98....given my VERY UNSTABLE NATURE with having things ripped out from underneath me....in my early thirties...my life had ALREADY BEEN TURNED UP-SIDE****ING DOWN by a number of occurrences that were NOT in my favour..... YOU HAVE NNNNNNOOOOOOO IIIIIIDEEEEEEAAAAAAAA HOW HARRRRDDDD I BIT MY TONGUE; NOT TO HARBOUR ANY ILL-WILL TOWARDS THIS INDIVIDUAL..IN THE PRESENCE OF POLICE OFFICERS..!!!!!!!!!!!! I STILL HAVE THE SCAR...!!!!!!.......

...What a luvly bit o'rust, whot?

Perhaps the MORE MORBID viewers were anticipating some scarred tongue shots......in all HONESTY....I took some pics ......NOT SUITABLE FOR ANY VIEWERS...! I DELETED THEM.....that didn`t make my tongue feel any better though....it did bleed for a day or so....didn`t wan to go for STITCHES.....can you imagine...? *NOTE TO SELF*...OUCH!

Vehicles
      06-12-2012 02:43 AM #43
      I WILL say that I developed a WICKED RAINBOW SORBET DEPENDENCY for a period of about 6 weeks afterwards.....anyone who gets their tongue pierced, and pays money for that kind of pain....? I don't quite understand the 'why' completely....or AT ALL! for that matter.....at any rate.....back to my buffoonery.........

So, since I have been on this site, I have learned so much more than I thought I knew about older VWs, Foxes in particular....I HAVE to LIKEN this revelation to the game of GOLF; in that, just when you think you have figured something out, that will LEAD WAY to THE REALISATION that you REALLY DON'T KNOW VERY MUCH AT ALL in the GRAND scheme of things...(at least where I AM CONCERNED)...!! So having written that, understand what I really MEAN, when I say, "I don't even KNOW, enough to KNOW, that I DON'T KNOW!" (...after a few pics, this MIGHT make sense....)

This is a shot of the rear section of the front right wheel house after the welding, and my putty/glazing job on the underside of the passenger floor up to the welds....(I had the rear end of the car up in the air; that was as far as I went, because I knew I was going to drop the rear and get the front end up in the air as high as I could...)

Here is the LEFT side...(nice GLARE! The Old Man would SKIN me [old school photography buff!] for taking a shot like THAT!) ....THANKS KODAK...!! For TAKING ONE FOR THE WORLD...!!! {they helped create digital imaging which eventually LED TO THEIR DEMISE...!}

...a better view of the decayed ROT that is my ride....

THIS is what was left after I took the Dremel to the spot previously viewed as, 'upper left wheel well, by the shock tower'....(from the top, hood raised, left side, near antenna)

Well, I thought I KNEW (which can BE A DANGEROUS THING...!!!) wtf I was doing by this point....I was just ANXIOUS to get this thing SEALED before winter fell; in the event that it HAD to come into the GAME due to a Malfunction on Woodys' (my 2nd Wagon; just in case you haven't REALLY been paying attention....someday, I will peel the white vinyl from Woody I, to show you what the ORIGINAL WOODY looked like back in the day...) part.....THAT NEVER HAPPENED...! Woody II (not actually decorated with the HIDEOUS vinyl, but WOODY STILL! IF ONLY IN SPIRIT: due the fact that HIS EXISTENCE is LARGELY been made POSSIBLE by the donation of several components......I remember one day in particular, that I took off of work, to switch the brakes and surfaces from vehicle to vehicle.....QUITE A SIGHT actually.....kind of wish I had the means to record what I did in a stop-frame photography-type-manner! (a la FuzzyBunnys' 'Check THIS out!' Post) If you haven't SEEN it.....DO CHECK IT OUT...! He hand his pals; over a 7-9 min (can't remember exactly) segment; make a CONVERTIBLE (permanent!) out of a COUPE one day...! TOO KOOL...! ....anyway...where was I ...? Oh yeah, also took the exhaust, the gas tank, the fuel pump, alternator, starter, mirrors, rear hatch, drums, discs, water pump, radiator....the list DOES ACTUALLY go on...but those were some of the things that came from Woody I over to WOODY II; that makes him the "boite de merdre" that HE IS TODAY...!!! (P.S. I NEED TWO SETS of rear shocks for WAGONS BIGTIME...!!! HENRY at FRISCO AUTO PARTS LAUGHED AT ME WHEN I SAID "FOX" .....prick....I have been LINING HIS POCKET$ FOR YEAR$....!!!!) oh how SOON THEY FORGET....!!! I miss NASSAR @ N & D Parts...!!!! He WAS THE MAN....!!!! ...ANY FOX PART; FRONT N CENTRE; REASONABLE PRICE; PLUS ADVICE...!!!!!!!!!! how do you put a price on that.....?!? {I'm just sayin'.....IF I had a DOLLAR; (inflation, cost of living, etc.); for EVERY TIME I HEARD: "THIS WILL OUTLAST YOUR VEHICLE!" , when SOME JAGMO was putting on another part to my relic.....I'd be driving a MUCH FANCIER FOX than I am currently....!!!!} [why is there a RED LINE under JAGMO...?] .....ahhhh.....days long gone by.......[JAGMO=ABSOLUTE MORON; DRIVING A JAG/LIMO!] (THIS GUY MADE ME WANT TO BURY MY FIST INTO HIS FACE UP TO MY ELBOW....!!!)..... did I mention that I find this thread very therapeutic.......?!? I VERY MUCH APPRECIATE your patience/tolerance/empathy/condolences/sympathy for my NOT being LITERATE ENOUGH to KNOW where to BEGIN a NEW paragraph.....!

But I DIGRESS...(I almost feel that there is a ventriloquists' dummy sitting on my shoulder; HECKLING ME....!!!) ...here's a shot of the underside of that same spot; after the application (it was MORE of a marination) of the rust inhibiting acid; yup, yer right! I didn't grind away the crappy parts before spraying any self etching primer....before covering the affected areas.....so, we'll SEE what happens over time.....the pic...

...Kinda looks like a PING-PONG ( I KNOW THOSE GUYS...!) NET; doesn't it?
      PLEASE-- DO NOTICE the TEAL TINGE around the edges of the (VERY UNEXPECTED!) gap in the wheelhouse opening....(marination)...Sure....Ultimately, you would like to ELIMINATE ALL RUST......but, I don't live in THAT kind of climate......nor do I have access to that kind of equipment....

So, I put some more mesh around the opening to give the putty something to stick to....

Looking directly down from the opening...I applied some tape to the flapping metal in an effort to try to re-create what was once there....

....What the hell do you do with this if you have NO IDEA how to weld...?

....I started in daylight...finished in the dark....putty fest....

I sorta treated it as a grade 9 art project....just started putting putty here n there to
      see what would happen....whadayaknow...? It STUCK...!!

JUST realising....I'm quite tuned.....and it's going on 3AM.....! ON A SCHOOL NIGHT NO LESS.....! had a 10.5 hr day.....gonna be FACE-DOWN in the Toyotas later on today......(I work at a dealership!) ....'til next time....
      Last edited by KRAMMIT; 05-24-2013 at 10:56 PM.

Vehicles
      88 Fox Gl
      06-12-2012 04:16 AM #44
      Awesome job dude! those pictures of the rear after its been painted look sweet.
      Keep up the good work!

Vehicles
      06-19-2012 10:13 PM #45
      Thank You for the reply Chris-88Fox...NICE TO HEAR from a fellow CANADIAN FOXER...!! Thanks for the regards...!! It has come a LONG way from what it was when I found it....however, it has a LONGER journey STILL...before I will be remotely complacent with its ongoing mending...!! In no way does it look like a SHOWROOM PIECE; but, I ONLY DRIVE CARS IN THE SHOWROOM IF YOU PAY ME....and THIS CAR....I drive for FUN...but, THAT hasn't HAPPENED YET.....80% of the components I wanted to replace BEFORE driving it, are NOT so readily available.......(DAMN GREEDY-ASS PROGRESS!!!).....getting SICK of hearing, discontinued, no longer available, obsolete.....YEAH..? Well, IF it IS obsolete....HOW IS THIS THING STILL RUNNING...? Wait a minute, I was making a post....back on topic here...

Currently, I am experiencing a TREMENDOUS EXHAUST MANIFOLD LEAK which is SO LOUD; (how loud IS IT...?) ....it is sooooooo loud.....that I can't even tell if the VALVES ARE CLACKING...!! When it gets dark....I can SEE DETONATION in the third and fourth cylinders.....!!! As I tick along the road, enjoying ABSOLUTELY HORRID fuel economy...I almost feel like dude in THE GODS MUST BE CRAZY PT.I with the ticking of that old Range Rover..........(I WISH THAT WAS A JOKE...!!!) Finances will dictate how this gets resolved....right now, I'm so broke, I can't even PAY ATTENTION.....currently trying to locate a 4-2-1 exhaust manifold....oh yeah, my grade nine art project......

Looking back at my work...I should have been given an "F" for the work on THIS particular part of the car...looking closely, I realised that I have pretty much BUGGERED any chance of getting this wing off of the vehicle in the future....by

Vehicles
      06-20-2012 01:08 AM #46
      ....By gooping all kinds of putty over the SEAMS of the Panels...oh well, maybe a HOT KNIFE and a BIG bag of PATIENTS...! ...IF that time comes...

This is the right side...there would be a little LESS grief if I had to remove this wing...but not much...

The above application, I, for some reason, decided NOT to use the respirator....this is the evening when I discovered the never ending headache.....if I were to do it again without a mask (which I WON'T....EVER!) I would have a fan set up feeding me fresh air; my head was stuck in the wheel house, which effectively contained the vapours to simulate an environment about a STEP and and HALF below, "....deliberately concentrating and inhaling vapours...." you can see the different mixtures of putty, some reddish...some greenish...
      The right side would've earned a "B-"....

The LEFT side...[I'm not BIG on failure...(WHO IS?)...but, you gotta give credit where credit is DUE....!]....I GIVE ME A BIG PHAT "EFF"....(as in 'I effed up!')

HOW SO..? Well, a NUMBER OF WAYS ACTUALLY....:
      1) I neglected to tell the welder that the rotted drainage holes that he cut out and replaced (with SOLID metal).......are NECESSARY...!
      2) I FAILED to MAKE THIS REALISATION until about 9 MONTHS after the FACT...!! (YUP! Through the winter, such as it was, spring run off, April showers, etc.) it was very odd, I thought, that there should be a trail of WATER behind me for THREE HOUSES worth of road......when I took it for a spin.....made me begin to consider: WHAT HAD I DONE....?!?
      3) I DRAGGED MY HEELS on getting the PROBLEM RECTIFIED....I didn't relish the thought of LYING on my BACK; CAPTIVE beneath the Fox on stands; in my driveway; getting SHOWERED with HOT METAL SHARDS while drilling for AGUA in the BELLY; okay, LEFT NIPPLE; of my twenty-four year old, near-vintage VW.....(I used a hoist at work; MORE on THAT later...!)
      4) I ABSENTMINDEDLY didn't use HARDENERin my LAST TWO APPLICATIONS of the summer...(went thru 7 litres of resin; yielding 15[!] 2 oz applications per tin!)...why is it still tacky after THIRTY-SIX HOURS...?!?...HOW-DY.? HARD-DEN-NER...! {The Party}....can you guess where...?!? (...I seem to be writing this AS THOUGH I have already posted a couple dozen pics that are CLEARLY not on this thread as yet........DOES ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCE CONTINUITY ISSUES WITHIN THEIR LIFE...?!? ....perhaps its just ME....)
      More on the DRAINAGE ISSUE to follow...

A shot of the left side from a step back...looks atrocious, I know...

This is what it looked like, after the putty had hardened; and, I did a little sanding/contouring...

The black plug near the bottom is one of the receptacles for the screws to fasten the fender liner...had to drill it out anyway...

On this side, I wasn't trying to reconstruct anything, merely trying to cover over and waterproof the welds....

...that surprise hole that was in the left wing/fender from above...(had lots of mesh to support the weight of the putty)

The left side again, with resin applied over top over the putty to seal...

...a SCHPRITZ of paint....

....from a step back....

....from a FEW steps back...

GOOD FROM AFAR....but, FAR FROM GOOD....!!

The right side...after the same resin-over-dried-putty application, after a schpritz of paint...

From a step back.....

From a FEW MORE steps back...(gonna drip some 20W-50 on those bricks as SOON as I can...!)

It is getting late (....or early...), this will make some sense.....someday..... soon....I....uh...ANTICIPATE....YEAH! THAT'S THE WOIRD....anticipate.....I have learned NOT to make promises.....

Ciao fer now....

22. 06-20-2012 01:24 AM #47
      haha the car reminds me of the Adobe

Vehicles
      06-27-2012 12:16 AM #48
      For some reason, I think it has to do with International Video Streaming Rights, The above mentioned HuLu video (which I haven't seen) cannot be viewed outside of the United States...

My only understanding of Adobe, traditionally...huts that were made of MUD and FECAL MATTER....and I can`t really disagree...it does look like its had a LOT of mud n CRAP slapped on it...(or a program, but, doubt THAT was the implication...)

At any rate....it was far too late in the year to concerned with aesthetics....at this point....I was interested in finally getting the ownership in my name and getting it plated....a safety inspection certificate was issued with out incident....that was GOOD..! The emission test was not such an initial success....having been UNDER the car MORE than IN the car....I really didn`t know much about the vehicle mechanically, other than that it has a CRAPPY exhaust system, and that I was able to DRIVE it home......

I am wondering about something: It failed the emission test in the oxides of nitrogen category.....miserably...(almost FOUR times the allowable limit)...I was told it was due to the motor running HOT.......there is a TREMENDOUS exhaust manifold leak...this is my WONDER....: because the exhaust manifold is leaking; immediately combusted gases are escaping between the BLOCK and the MANIFOLD, instead of being channelled away beneath the car and expelled through the tailpipe......would this escaped, freshly combusted gas; SUPER HEAT the engine compartment, to the point of the motor running in a constant state of NEAR OVER HEATING (the needle is ALWAYS above the red light!); thus, making the oxides of nitrogen reading higher than it WOULD be WITHOUT the manifold leak...? wouldn't the mani leak throw off the readings...? they tested the car as a 1.5L Yaris motor [which I personally felt insulting!], which right off the bat yields an unfair expectation limit......
      I put a cat on it, (there isn't supposed to BE ONE ON IT!!! Early IGLOO ISSUE...!!!)[CDN'87-'88], even though there isn't supposed to be one present...! It reduced the hydrocarbons and the carbon monoxide to negligible amounts.....but the oxides of nitrogen were STILL above acceptable parameters....(by Ontario standards)....I hear d somewhere that the people who administer the TEST

Vehicles
      06-27-2012 01:03 AM #49
      ....I heard that the people who administer the tests aren't supposed to do so; IF THERE IS AN EXHAUST LEAK....!! Which underlines my theory that this is an ENORMOUS CA$H GRAB by the government.......EVER SEE A DUMP TRUCK START UP AT A STOP LIGHT...? As IF my tiny little car emits as much SMOG in a YEAR!!!! as a DUMP TRUCK emits in a day of driving....

(my wireless router burped! ...before I could proof read!)

So would the leak account for the outrageously hot reading...?

I managed to get the car to pass...took it to an OLD SCHOOL friend of mine that said he, "turned back the timing, as though it was barely alive; and messed with the CO (3mm hex) adjustment a bit!" I think he was being sarcastic...

Here's the diagram of the oxygen sensor and its location...

....from the book we all know and love....

...and HERE is what I actually see when I look in the appropriate area under my hood...

....anyone see an O2 sensor...?

How about from THIS angle...? ...don't see a CO tube either....

....no wires going to a fuel management system....

Have I got the ONLY TWO early IGLOO ISSUE Foxes with NON-CATALYST LABELS UNDER THE HOOD; still alive....?

I am planning a manifold upgrade....even as this is being written....for BOTH Wagons.....

But that will be ANOTHER time.....
      Last edited by KRAMMIT; 03-26-2013 at 09:48 PM.

Vehicles
      '99 TDI Jetta, '97 Golf CL, '71 Westy, '85 Mercedes 300SD
      06-27-2012 01:36 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by KRAMMIT View Post

Have I got the ONLY TWO early IGLOO ISSUE Foxes with NON-CATALYST LABELS UNDER THE HOOD; still alive....?
      I know my Fox is non-catalyst.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast