Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Results 76 to 100 of 298

    Thread: TTRS - Strange sound when cold over 2k RPM?

    1. 03-16-2012 03:13 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
      Honestly, your local dealer isn't going to innovate and figure out the engineering solution to this problem. The most important part (reporting the issue, the dealer reproducing it, and Audi Corporate being contacted) has been completed.

      The best way to get more traction from Audi on the issue is for every person that can reproduce this problem to take their car in to the dealer and get it reported. I'm going to do the same (I hope neonova6 does, too). I'm sure engineering resources at Audi to work on issues like this get prioritized based on the volume of complaints.

      If I were you, I'd go get your car back and start enjoying it! Audi is going to need to redesign the hydraulic tensioner system and/or guide system for the timing chain to really resolve this, so sit back and wait a year while that happens.
      I've been considering that route. But I decided to wait for the results for the timing chain replacements (i.e. another two weeks). Worst-case, the problem will continue to reproduce, but at least I'll have a new chain/etc. (I imagine the problem causes excessive wear, and after weeks of debugging, there's bound to be some fallout).

    2. Member joshsmith's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 17th, 2011
      Location
      Sydney, Australia
      Posts
      569
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TTRS, 2012 Audi Q5 2.0TDI S-Line
      03-16-2012 06:13 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
      Just reproduced the problem! But it stopped before I could take a video.

      My rattle happens right at 2200-2400 RPM, and is silent below that. I'll snag a video soon enough. It does not sound healthy at all, and is of course way more audible with the windows down.

      Whatever tech at the dealer thought that this noise was a wastegate should stop working on your car immediately!

      So to folks trying to reproduce this:
      1) make sure the car is cold and has been sitting for many hours
      2) roll the windows down
      3) start the car and let it idle briefly to let oil circulate (just a few seconds)
      4) slowly rev the engine up through 2000-2500 RPM back and forth an listen. Hear a loud rattle right around 2200 RPM? Bingo! No noise? Try again tomorrow. :p

      My noise goes away after a minute or two.
      Pretty sure that's the nosie mine makes..
      '12 Audi TT RS, Phantom Black, Manual
      Bose Sound System inc Audi Music Interface and TV Reception
      Blackout Pack by GmbH + GmbH 19' Titanium Look Alloy Wheels + Dark Window Tint
      Extended Leather Package With Heated Recaro Bucket Seats + LED Interior Lighting Package
      Adaptive Headlights & Tyre Pressure Monitor

    3. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2000
      Posts
      7,073
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      03-16-2012 06:56 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by fourtunes View Post
      I've been considering that route. But I decided to wait for the results for the timing chain replacements (i.e. another two weeks). Worst-case, the problem will continue to reproduce, but at least I'll have a new chain/etc. (I imagine the problem causes excessive wear, and after weeks of debugging, there's bound to be some fallout).
      I view major internal repairs like open-heart surgery: you really don't want to do it unless it's absolutely necessary, due to the risk of complications.

      Think about it this way: there isn't a single tech at your dealer that has ever taken apart the 2.5L TFSI engine. Do you want them learning for the first time on yours, for a repair that probably won't fix the problem? Re-sealing everything, setting the timing correctly, etc., isn't a totally trivial task.

      Now, if Audi comes back and says they have a revised piece of hardware that they believe fixes it, then that's another story...

      But it sounds like you're going to go with it. So neonova6 and I do appreciate that for when we take ours in for the same repair.

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2000
      Posts
      7,073
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      03-16-2012 06:56 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by joshsmith View Post
      Pretty sure that's the nosie mine makes..
      Video, video! Let's build a library.

    5. 03-16-2012 07:06 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
      I view major internal repairs like open-heart surgery: you really don't want to do it unless it's absolutely necessary, due to the risk of complications.

      Think about it this way: there isn't a single tech at your dealer that has ever taken apart the 2.5L TFSI engine. Do you want them learning for the first time on yours, for a repair that probably won't fix the problem? Re-sealing everything, setting the timing correctly, etc., isn't a totally trivial task.

      Now, if Audi comes back and says they have a revised piece of hardware that they believe fixes it, then that's another story...

      But it sounds like you're going to go with it. So neonova6 and I do appreciate that for when we take ours in for the same repair.
      I generally look at it the same way, but given that my engine has already undergone work on the intake and had its turbo replaced, the timing chain replacement/adjustments feel more like an appendix removal following open heart surgery. If the engine developed chronic problems as a result of any of these modifications, I feel there'd be ways to address that situation.

      Besides, I still don't actually know for certain that the problem doesn't have potentially serious implications. I do want to know exactly what the problem is, at the very least to know how to avoid it reliably.

    6. 03-18-2012 04:22 PM #81
      The thread on tts-freunde.de seems to be getting off track slightly with posters arguing about different types of oil.

      But one poster claims that he used to have this problem, and that it went away when he started avoiding short drives (under 6 miles). Supposedly, an Audi expert asserted that short drives (which, according to Audi, is fewer than 30 miles) are problematic for this type of engine and should be avoided. Obviously, this is impractical, but the poster says that he hasn't had problems since extending the length of his commute to ~10 miles. A few other posters back this theory up, but offer no hard data.

      So now I'm curious: do those of you who do have the problem often drive only a few miles, and do those of you who do not have the problem hardly ever drive short routes?

    7. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2000
      Posts
      7,073
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      03-18-2012 05:20 PM #82
      Quote Originally Posted by fourtunes View Post
      The thread on tts-freunde.de seems to be getting off track slightly with posters arguing about different types of oil.

      But one poster claims that he used to have this problem, and that it went away when he started avoiding short drives (under 6 miles). Supposedly, an Audi expert asserted that short drives (which, according to Audi, is fewer than 30 miles) are problematic for this type of engine and should be avoided. Obviously, this is impractical, but the poster says that he hasn't had problems since extending the length of his commute to ~10 miles. A few other posters back this theory up, but offer no hard data.

      So now I'm curious: do those of you who do have the problem often drive only a few miles, and do those of you who do not have the problem hardly ever drive short routes?
      I drive about 7 miles between work and home. I wonder what he would mean by "this type of engine"? Is it really that much different from the other turbocharged Audi engines in terms of the chain tensioning system?

    8. 03-18-2012 05:33 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
      I drive about 7 miles between work and home. I wonder what he would mean by "this type of engine"? Is it really that much different from the other turbocharged Audi engines in terms of the chain tensioning system?
      They're referring to "Vollgasmotoren" (full-throttle engines), i.e. engines designed to be driven very hard regularly.

      I'm no stranger to the argument: the S5's 4.2l FSI is prone to carbon build-up, which causes progressive power loss (noticeable after ~15k miles) and, eventually, misfires (most commonly after ~30k miles); and this problem is aggravated if you have a short commute.

      If you read through the discussions about this topic on various forums, you'll find lots of assertions that the engine wasn't designed to be driven in city traffic, and that anyone who did so regularly was asking for trouble.

    9. Member joshsmith's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 17th, 2011
      Location
      Sydney, Australia
      Posts
      569
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TTRS, 2012 Audi Q5 2.0TDI S-Line
      03-18-2012 06:05 PM #84
      Interestingly after I tied my exhaust flap open on the valve hose thingy, the noise is worse on my car and lasts longer... hmmm....
      '12 Audi TT RS, Phantom Black, Manual
      Bose Sound System inc Audi Music Interface and TV Reception
      Blackout Pack by GmbH + GmbH 19' Titanium Look Alloy Wheels + Dark Window Tint
      Extended Leather Package With Heated Recaro Bucket Seats + LED Interior Lighting Package
      Adaptive Headlights & Tyre Pressure Monitor

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 14th, 2003
      Location
      Houston, TX
      Posts
      2,002
      Vehicles
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991/2011 MINI S
      03-19-2012 11:26 AM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by fourtunes View Post
      So now I'm curious: do those of you who do have the problem often drive only a few miles, and do those of you who do not have the problem hardly ever drive short routes?
      I do not have the noise and lots of my trips in the car are under 10 miles. My commute to work is 6 miles each way, and I go to lunch most days 6 miles or less roundtrip. Sorry for your problems but I don't think it's universal to the car.
      Houston, TX
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991

    11. Member jpkeyzer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 24th, 2011
      Location
      NJ
      Posts
      409
      Vehicles
      Previously: 2012 Audi TT-RS Stage II / 2008 Lotus Elise SC
      03-19-2012 01:20 PM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by fourtunes View Post
      I made a recording of the noise before I took the car in for the first time. I uploaded it here for those who want to sample it. This is what's captured:

      Start, high idle: 00:08...
      Low idle: 1:08...
      Rattle: 1:17-1:20, 1:23-1:26

      This rattle @ ~2k RPM reproduced nearly every time, and for several minutes, each time my car had sat idle for 2-3 hours. I really don't think I'm being too picky in this instance.
      fourtunes - thank you for taking the time and effort to record this!

      This will certainly benefit others (as a reference point) who may run into this issue.

      I (and I am sure others) feel your pain - this is by no means acceptable!

      Quote Originally Posted by mtbscoTT View Post
      I do not have the noise and lots of my trips in the car are under 10 miles. My commute to work is 6 miles each way, and I go to lunch most days 6 miles or less roundtrip. Sorry for your problems but I don't think it's universal to the car.

      This is a valid point - start looking into your rights as they relate to the "Lemon Law".

      After 2.5 months of TT-RS ownership and 2327 miles I have not experienced this problem.
      Last edited by jpkeyzer; 03-19-2012 at 01:43 PM.

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2000
      Posts
      7,073
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      03-19-2012 02:37 PM #87
      Only 1 of my last 7 cold starts has reproduced this issue. And without carefully listening for it, you may not notice as it goes away within a minute.

      So I question whether anyone's car truly is immune to this, or if folks haven't caught it happening yet...

      Still patiently waiting to get it on video...

    13. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 26th, 2011
      Location
      Cupertino, CA
      Posts
      138
      Vehicles
      '95 Honda DelSol, 2012 TT RS
      03-19-2012 03:34 PM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
      So neonova6 and I do appreciate that for when we take ours in for the same repair.
      I absolutely appreciate! I've been watching the thread like a hawk.


      Quote Originally Posted by fourtunes View Post
      The thread on tts-freunde.de seems to be getting off track slightly with posters arguing about different types of oil.

      But one poster claims that he used to have this problem, and that it went away when he started avoiding short drives (under 6 miles). Supposedly, an Audi expert asserted that short drives (which, according to Audi, is fewer than 30 miles) are problematic for this type of engine and should be avoided. Obviously, this is impractical, but the poster says that he hasn't had problems since extending the length of his commute to ~10 miles. A few other posters back this theory up, but offer no hard data.

      So now I'm curious: do those of you who do have the problem often drive only a few miles, and do those of you who do not have the problem hardly ever drive short routes?
      That's interesting, but I don't by it. My commute is 30+miles one way, with maybe 1-3 short trips that are less than 3 miles on the weekends. More than once, I've heard the issue after starting the car when leaving work, where the last trip was my commute. Overall, the majority of my trips are over 30 miles. And even after a shorter trips, I have not heard the issue. So personally, I've not seen a correlation between a shorter or longer trip making the sound occur more frequently.

      Quote Originally Posted by fourtunes View Post
      I've been considering that route. But I decided to wait for the results for the timing chain replacements (i.e. another two weeks). Worst-case, the problem will continue to reproduce, but at least I'll have a new chain/etc. (I imagine the problem causes excessive wear, and after weeks of debugging, there's bound to be some fallout).
      I hope that the service reps pay careful attention to any premature wear between the timing chain and all contact points.

      I'm still itching to get a video too.
      2012 Audi TTRS — Suzuka`Ti`CFMirrors`

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2000
      Posts
      7,073
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      03-20-2012 04:18 AM #89
      Caught it!

      My car just reproduced the rattle (2nd time it made the noise out of 9 cold starts), but this time the car wasn't cold! The car had been sitting for about an hour, so the coolant temperature was at the 1/4 mark when I first started the car.

      The noise wasn't quite as violent as it's been at its worst with a cold start, but you can definitely hear it. Here's a video (you can hear it steadily decrease throughout the video, until it's completely gone by the end):

      Last edited by Marty; 03-20-2012 at 04:22 AM.

    15. 03-20-2012 12:15 PM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by fourtunes View Post
      I generally look at it the same way, but given that my engine has already undergone work on the intake and had its turbo replaced, the timing chain replacement/adjustments feel more like an appendix removal following open heart surgery. If the engine developed chronic problems as a result of any of these modifications, I feel there'd be ways to address that situation.

      Besides, I still don't actually know for certain that the problem doesn't have potentially serious implications. I do want to know exactly what the problem is, at the very least to know how to avoid it reliably.
      I just got off the phone with my service adviser.

      Against expectations (mine, anyway), it looks like the ECU changes for the 2013 model year may have resolved the problem. Like I mentioned earlier, the firmware updates make adjustments to oil pressure settings. I haven't asked for details yet, but will do so later today.

      The dealership seems reasonably confident that this really is a solution because of experience with the old S4, which apparently also had timing chain related rattling problems (though not quite as pronounced) after cold starts. Those problems were addressed in a similar manner.

      I decided to reward the TT RS with an early oil change (since it's at the dealership anyway), but expect to pick it up later today. I'll keep you guys posted.

    16. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2000
      Posts
      7,073
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      03-20-2012 01:37 PM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by fourtunes View Post
      I just got off the phone with my service adviser.

      Against expectations (mine, anyway), it looks like the ECU changes for the 2013 model year may have resolved the problem. Like I mentioned earlier, the firmware updates make adjustments to oil pressure settings. I haven't asked for details yet, but will do so later today.

      The dealership seems reasonably confident that this really is a solution because of experience with the old S4, which apparently also had timing chain related rattling problems (though not quite as pronounced) after cold starts. Those problems were addressed in a similar manner.

      I decided to reward the TT RS with an early oil change (since it's at the dealership anyway), but expect to pick it up later today. I'll keep you guys posted.
      Did they mention when the 2013 changes would get rolled out?

    17. 03-20-2012 01:50 PM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
      Did they mention when the 2013 changes would get rolled out?
      No, but I'll ask.

    18. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2000
      Posts
      7,073
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      03-20-2012 01:54 PM #93
      When it rains, it pours: here's a video of me reproducing the problem again this morning from a cold start (3rd time out of 10 starts). Even though it gets quieter as time goes on (the 2400 RPM resonance seems to die down), it still seems loud at higher RPM (though I didn't want to go higher while it was cold).


    19. 03-20-2012 02:06 PM #94
      Wow... sounds pretty noticeable. Thanks guys for pushing this. So far I haven't heard it yet...

    20. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 26th, 2011
      Location
      Cupertino, CA
      Posts
      138
      Vehicles
      '95 Honda DelSol, 2012 TT RS
      03-20-2012 04:30 PM #95
      Well, that's some good news. Did they still replace the timing chain as well?

      Quote Originally Posted by fourtunes View Post
      I just got off the phone with my service adviser.

      Against expectations (mine, anyway), it looks like the ECU changes for the 2013 model year may have resolved the problem. Like I mentioned earlier, the firmware updates make adjustments to oil pressure settings. I haven't asked for details yet, but will do so later today.

      The dealership seems reasonably confident that this really is a solution because of experience with the old S4, which apparently also had timing chain related rattling problems (though not quite as pronounced) after cold starts. Those problems were addressed in a similar manner.

      I decided to reward the TT RS with an early oil change (since it's at the dealership anyway), but expect to pick it up later today. I'll keep you guys posted.
      2012 Audi TTRS — Suzuka`Ti`CFMirrors`

    21. 03-20-2012 05:05 PM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by neonova6 View Post
      Well, that's some good news. Did they still replace the timing chain as well?
      No. The service records indicate that the order was cancelled. Anyway, I have the car back now and it doesn't seem much worse off for wear. Fingers crossed...

      As to the ECU update, it isn't clear if there's a plan to deploy it as a general update. If it really does end up solving my problem, you may want/need to work with your dealer to get the same update applied. I imagine that won't be a problem for anyone who visits the dealership I had my car serviced at.

    22. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2000
      Posts
      7,073
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      03-20-2012 05:56 PM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by fourtunes View Post
      No. The service records indicate that the order was cancelled. Anyway, I have the car back now and it doesn't seem much worse off for wear. Fingers crossed...

      As to the ECU update, it isn't clear if there's a plan to deploy it as a general update. If it really does end up solving my problem, you may want/need to work with your dealer to get the same update applied. I imagine that won't be a problem for anyone who visits the dealership I had my car serviced at.
      So did they actually update your ECU? Any mention of a version number on your paperwork?
      Last edited by Marty; 03-20-2012 at 06:58 PM.

    23. 03-20-2012 06:50 PM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
      So did they actually update your ECU?
      Yes, the service record lists an ECM update.

    24. 03-20-2012 07:01 PM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
      So did they actually update your ECU? Any mention of a version number on your paperwork?
      I'll double-check tonight, but I don't believe a specific version was mentioned. My service adviser always referred to it as the 2013 model year ECU update. I guess I ought to be able to tell with VCDS?

    25. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2000
      Posts
      7,073
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      03-20-2012 07:12 PM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by fourtunes View Post
      I'll double-check tonight, but I don't believe a specific version was mentioned. My service adviser always referred to it as the 2013 model year ECU update. I guess I ought to be able to tell with VCDS?
      I'll poke around in VCDS later to see if I can find anything that resembles an ECU FW revision.

    Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •