Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: FS: A6 / allroad steering wheel radio control switches 8E0951527L & 8E0951527AR - $36 each including shipping

Vehicles
      2010 Jetta SE 2.5L Tiptronic; 2002 allroad 2.7T Tiptronic
      02-27-2012 04:54 PM #1
      These switches are from my 2002 allroad. They work perfectly. The surface condition of the buttons is very fine, with only minor surface scratches. If your steering wheel switches have some white plastic showing because the black soft-touch coating has worn away, here is an excellent opportunity to replace them.

You can purchase one or both switch modules as needed. Shipping is included in the $36 price of each switch module.

The switch part numbers are "8E0 951 527 L" for the left side, and "8E0 951 527 A R" for the right side. The switches are "soul" black so the 5PR designation would also apply. The switches will fit the four spoke MFSW from a '01 thru '05 allroad, A6 C5, and A4 B5.

Note the rear electrical connectors as shown in the pictures. Double check that your car has the same connection scheme. Some steering wheel radio control switches (e.g., 4B0951527A and 4B0951527) use a different electrical connection scheme.

Last edited by Mr.Timewise; 03-13-2012 at 06:18 PM.
      2010 Jetta SE 2.5L Tiptronic Salsa Red
      9W7 Bluetooth | RNS-510 | Homelink sun visor | Extendable passenger sun visor | MFSW w/ paddles | Hi-line SWCM | Hi-Line MFD+ instrument cluster | Auto-dimming inside rear view mirror w/ compass | Trunk lid open switch in grab handle | Silver lens tail lights | Front & rear door warning/puddle lights

Vehicles
      '02 Allroad
      02-29-2012 07:51 AM #2
      Tempting, I'm having issues my volume up button. How hard are these to pop out to check? My steering wheel is tan but I could probably live with the contrast.

Vehicles
      2010 Jetta SE 2.5L Tiptronic; 2002 allroad 2.7T Tiptronic
      03-13-2012 05:49 PM #3
      Andy,

Sorry about the silence. I hadn't look at the listing since I put it up.

To answer your question...

I suggest you disconnect the ground side of the battery. This is a safety procedure so you do not deploy the airbag accidentally. (I did NOT do this.)

Turn the key in the ignition so you can turn the steering wheel about 45 degrees one way or the other. Then REMOVE the key from the ignition so you do not energize anything in the car.

The steering wheel airbag comes off with two VERY tight T30 Torx screws accessible at the back of the steering wheel. Turning the steering wheel as mentioned above will give you an easier access to the screws. You almost certainly need a T30 bit with a socket wrench. I doubt that you can grip a Torx screwdriver firmly enough. This is the hard part.

Once the two screw are out (they are likely captured so they won't actually fall out), the airbag pulls off. There are a couple rather short wire/cables that connect the airbag to the steering wheel. Although you can proceed with the switch exchange without disconnecting the wires, doing so will make things much easier. (Again, I didn't do this but I'll claim that as a professional I know what I'm doing. )

Each switch is attached with two Torx screws (the screws in the pictures - T10, I think), and there is a ribbon cable attached too. You must detach the ribbon cable first because the switch module is pushed outward toward the front of the airbag. Just carefully wiggle the red ribbon cable plug to work it loose. There is a little latch on one side of each plug (right side when the cable is oriented such that it would plug into the modules as they are showing in the third photo). This little flexible latch is what prevents the plug from detaching easily.

Once the cable is off and the screws are removed, just push and wiggle the switch module out toward the front of the airbag.
      Last edited by Mr.Timewise; 03-13-2012 at 06:05 PM.
      2010 Jetta SE 2.5L Tiptronic Salsa Red
      9W7 Bluetooth | RNS-510 | Homelink sun visor | Extendable passenger sun visor | MFSW w/ paddles | Hi-line SWCM | Hi-Line MFD+ instrument cluster | Auto-dimming inside rear view mirror w/ compass | Trunk lid open switch in grab handle | Silver lens tail lights | Front & rear door warning/puddle lights