Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coilover VS Lowering Springs?

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta, 2008 Jetta RIP
      09-12-2012 02:59 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by TheEvilEmpire View Post
      If you want a comfortable ride with a little drop and you do not want to spend big $$ get springs. Recommend H&R but many different options out there. Closest to OEM ride quality.

While technically extra travel on a shock will put extra strain on the valve body, it will not "wear out faster" by any appreciable / noticeable amount. We're talking 2-5k mileage difference over the life of the car traveling an extra 1-1.5" you'll get from a decent spring drop.

Do NOT buy cheap coils. Around $800 for decent coils (ST IMHO are best bang for buck). Cheap coils are cheap because the valve bodies are junk and will ride like a truck.

These opinions/recommendations are made under the assumption that you're an adult and this is your daily driver and you value your ride quality, not what scene kids think.

Otherwise buy some racelands and go nuts

2. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 jetta s sedan
      10-05-2012 09:03 PM #37
      where can i get these fog lights ? and this is only 1.5 drop from factory settings?

Vehicles
      2015 Audi S3
      10-07-2012 09:46 PM #38
      I just put 18'' wheels on my car and decided I need to lower it maybe an inch. Definitely cannot afford coils after what I paid for wheels/tires. Therefore, I decided to go with springs. Anyone know what's the best bang for the buck? I hear H&R are good one's? I have a 2012 Jetta TDI.

4. 10-07-2012 11:59 PM #39
      The STs ride great and are a great deal. PM me for a deal on the STs.
      Chris Lane - fifteen52 - Join us on Facebook
      chris@fifteen52.us 813.505.7910 - direct : 213.373.1552
      RML | 52 Wheels | KW | ST | B&G | Newing-Alpil | C2 | Air-Lift

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 GLI A/Nav DSG BLK
      10-08-2012 12:12 AM #40
      DO NOT GET COILOVERS unless you are planning on corner-balancing them!

Your ride will never be the same if you do not corner-balance them.

Our car; all cars are designed to be balanced from front to back and from right to left. We can change those balances, but only in measured terms. Don't believe me...find your largest friend and zip around with him/her in the rear right, and rear left, then in the front pass and you will see exactly what I mean.

Springs are designed to mimic your car's weight distribution, or slightly better it.

A solid corner-balanced coil-over setup will sharpen your car's balance even more.

It's relatively inexpensive and worth every penny. Anybody that tells you it is not worth it has not ridden on a corner-balanced setup.

My$.02 for you? Get a set of progressive springs and be done with it. If I recall, you have a GLI. The suspension is already made to run lower from the factory. If you are planning on lowering it the range you speak of, the OEM shocks will suffice. You may lose 1/5 of their life, but you can always buy something new then; we're talking at least 50K miles or so away.

Happy dubbin'.

aaron

Vehicles
      2015 Audi S3
      10-08-2012 01:10 AM #41
      Thanks for your response. So I'm going with springs. What's a good brand?

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 GLI A/Nav DSG BLK
      10-08-2012 12:24 PM #42
      Eibach is the easy way to go, but you may find the drop not enough for your needs. Ask others what progressive springs they have used and liked or find a good vendor or two and ask them.

What is a progressive spring?

It is a spring that has a higher spring rate (firmer) but the final few coils on the top and bottom have a lower spring rate (softer). That will give you a near factory ride quality until you push it harder, then it will firm up.

Aaron

Vehicles
      2015 Audi S3
      10-09-2012 05:46 PM #43
      So I called around to see how much it would cost to put on springs for my TDI..... $720+ tax. Is that high?

9. Member
      Vehicles
      '92 Jetta GLI, '12 Jetta GLI
      10-09-2012 05:53 PM #44
      That's a ridiculous price.
      Springs on these cars (IRS or twist beam) with an alignment should run $300-$400 or so, depending on the shop/dealership.

Vehicles
      2015 Audi S3
      10-09-2012 05:55 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by Clyde Smith View Post
      That's a ridiculous price.
      Springs on these cars (IRS or twist beam) with an alignment should run $300-$400 or so, depending on the shop/dealership.
      I thought so too. They told me they that it would take 5.5 hours and that they would need to do an alignment afterwards. No way it could cost around $800?

11. Member
      Vehicles
      10-09-2012 06:04 PM #46
      It takes 2 hours at most, so a fair labor charge would be 3-3.5 hours.

Vehicles
      mk6 jetta
      10-09-2012 06:49 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by Clyde Smith View Post
      It takes 2 hours at most, so a fair labor charge would be 3-3.5 hours.
      + 1 hour for alignment
      my car

13. Member
      Vehicles
      10-09-2012 07:18 PM #48
      ^ Yup

Vehicles
      2012 GLI | 2013 Audi A4 | 2015 Audi SQ5
      10-09-2012 09:59 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by noeffectx View Post
      I'm thinking of slightly lowering my 2012 GLI Autobahn, at least 1 inch to 1.5, no more than that.

This is just for looks, no racing! This is my daily driver car and I drive at least 30 miles on highway everyday to work, I also work in NYC (manhattan at least 3x a month), lots of pot holes.

On weekends take the family and dog for a spin Again I have no intent of racing or going to race track.

Which is better for my intent of use and functionality? Coilover or lowering springs?

Thanks
      COILS ALL THE WAY. I just had KW V3's installed on my GLI '12 Bahn and they are AMAZING! Of course they were a little pricey but they are fully adjustable. Damping and Height. Also, they greatly improve ride quality, tighten up the steering, reduce pitch and roll, etc....

I recommend coils.

15. 10-09-2012 10:14 PM #50
      The V3s are also rebound adjustable
      Chris Lane - fifteen52 - Join us on Facebook
      chris@fifteen52.us 813.505.7910 - direct : 213.373.1552
      RML | 52 Wheels | KW | ST | B&G | Newing-Alpil | C2 | Air-Lift

16. 10-10-2012 11:21 AM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by praecurvo View Post
      DO NOT GET COILOVERS unless you are planning on corner-balancing them!

Your ride will never be the same if you do not corner-balance them.

Our car; all cars are designed to be balanced from front to back and from right to left. We can change those balances, but only in measured terms. Don't believe me...find your largest friend and zip around with him/her in the rear right, and rear left, then in the front pass and you will see exactly what I mean.

Springs are designed to mimic your car's weight distribution, or slightly better it.

A solid corner-balanced coil-over setup will sharpen your car's balance even more.

It's relatively inexpensive and worth every penny. Anybody that tells you it is not worth it has not ridden on a corner-balanced setup.

My$.02 for you? Get a set of progressive springs and be done with it. If I recall, you have a GLI. The suspension is already made to run lower from the factory. If you are planning on lowering it the range you speak of, the OEM shocks will suffice. You may lose 1/5 of their life, but you can always buy something new then; we're talking at least 50K miles or so away.

Happy dubbin'.

aaron
      Corner balancing isnt necessary unless you plan on seriously tracking your car. I know the benefits but saying that you have to corner balance your car after coils is pretty ridiculous, the fee for a legit corner balance is quite expensive, and not too mention if someone rides in your car then it will be off any ways, so it is pretty pointless. Corner balancing is reserved for a serious track car where there will only be one person riding in it and you want the maximum performance possible, however throw some random stuff in your car and voila your super expensive corner balance you did is now out of whack, dont post what you read in Modified or Super Street pertaining to a TRACK-ONLY car, that has been gusseted and has a cage built in it.

to the OP, it really boils down to if you want adjustability in the long run, you figure the cost of springs and quality struts will put you pretty close to entry level coils, so just do what is best for YOUR car. Good luck

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 GLI A/Nav DSG BLK
      10-10-2012 02:12 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk6-GLI View Post
      Corner balancing isnt necessary unless you plan on seriously tracking your car. I know the benefits but saying that you have to corner balance your car after coils is pretty ridiculous, the fee for a legit corner balance is quite expensive, and not too mention if someone rides in your car then it will be off any ways, so it is pretty pointless. Corner balancing is reserved for a serious track car where there will only be one person riding in it and you want the maximum performance possible, however throw some random stuff in your car and voila your super expensive corner balance you did is now out of whack, dont post what you read in Modified or Super Street pertaining to a TRACK-ONLY car, that has been gusseted and has a cage built in it.

to the OP, it really boils down to if you want adjustability in the long run, you figure the cost of springs and quality struts will put you pretty close to entry level coils, so just do what is best for YOUR car. Good luck
      I hardly agree with your reasoning. I could lean against corner balancing if budget is your primary goal and you pick up one of those $500 set ups.

Otherwise, not getting your car corner balanced is like buying a fine Kiton suit and not having it tailored to your body... Simply does not make sense!

Now here's the part where I school you in what I have owned and race to diminish such petty assumptions you have and allowing your tongue to slip before it is wise.

300zx on Eibachs and Tokikos
      300zxtt 450rwhp corner-balanced on kw's
      Acura TL on Acura's Sport Suspension
      BMW 335 407rwhp on KW V2's Touge Car
      BMW X3 MSport on M suspension
      Mini Cooper S "Stock Class" Time Trial car

A car can always be thrown off from what or who you you put in there. Honestly though, when do you do most of your "Spirited" driving? By yourself, or carelessly with others? Get serious.

Aaron

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta, 2008 Jetta RIP
      10-10-2012 02:26 PM #53
      Never had any of my cars corner balanced, mostly because I frequently have passengers and its a waste of time if you are just looking for a better looking ride.

Unless you are the only one who rides in your car, EVER, its a waste.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      10-10-2012 03:46 PM #54
      I only run my racecar hard with 3 passengers and my dog.
      I'm taking them all to get my **** balanced this weekend. Tired of the understeer!

Vehicles
      2015 Audi S3
      10-23-2012 04:57 PM #55
      Does anyone know of a place in Jacksonville, FL that will put on springs on my TDI? I've called three places and they won't touch my car. Is that a bad sign?

Vehicles
      B6 4motion VR6 Wagon
      10-23-2012 06:36 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by praecurvo View Post
      I hardly agree with your reasoning. I could lean against corner balancing if budget is your primary goal and you pick up one of those $500 set ups.

Otherwise, not getting your car corner balanced is like buying a fine Kiton suit and not having it tailored to your body... Simply does not make sense!

Now here's the part where I school you in what I have owned and race to diminish such petty assumptions you have and allowing your tongue to slip before it is wise.

300zx on Eibachs and Tokikos
      300zxtt 450rwhp corner-balanced on kw's
      Acura TL on Acura's Sport Suspension
      BMW 335 407rwhp on KW V2's Touge Car
      BMW X3 MSport on M suspension
      Mini Cooper S "Stock Class" Time Trial car

A car can always be thrown off from what or who you you put in there. Honestly though, when do you do most of your "Spirited" driving? By yourself, or carelessly with others? Get serious.

Aaron
      We never balanced my GLI (which are on ST's) and it tracks like a champion. Our Mk6 GTI is on KW V1's and it has never been corner balanced, also handles fine at the track.

I understand you're prescribing the correct way to set up a car but its hard enough to find a shop that won't rape you on installing a set of coil overs, let alone something that takes legit skill to do correctly.

Your best bet is to invite your husky friends over and have your car aligned while they're all sitting in it

This is also a different world from any of the above cars you mentioned. For 90% of people in Jetta VI, these are cars that are daily driven. Previous posts are 100% accurate that your prescriptions are way over the top, especially when you make an analogy to tailored suits. You sound like Barney Stinson...
      Last edited by TheEvilEmpire; 10-24-2012 at 01:57 PM.

Vehicles
      B6 4motion VR6 Wagon
      10-23-2012 06:38 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by fundulz View Post
      Does anyone know of a place in Jacksonville, FL that will put on springs on my TDI? I've called three places and they won't touch my car. Is that a bad sign?
      http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Spri...sor/ES1306817/

Use this wonderful forum, take a weekend and

Git

R

Done

Vehicles
      2015 Audi S3
      10-24-2012 09:07 PM #58
      Hey guys so I bought a pair of Eibach Pro-Kit springs. Decided to go with them rather than H&R because I wanted a modest drop. Nothing too crazy. Do I need anything else other than the springs?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12