Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Fly Rod choices

02-28-2012 11:52 AM #1
      Ok so I've decided I need to get a fly rod. Way too fun not to own one. So I'm wondering what people thought of this one:

http://www.basspro.com/White-River-F...17#description

I really don't know what length to get though, can people make suggestions? Also what about line? Again I'm a newbie to fly flishing but not to fishing in general.

tia
      | BENPURKISSDESIGN |

STANCE - Related words:
      hellaflush-hellafail-stanced-stancing-mental retardation-beaners etc.

Vehicles
      I hate my car
      02-28-2012 12:28 PM #2
      Good idea for a thread, I'd like to know too but there isn't much fly fishing happening in South Florida.
      Your friendly neighborhood used car salesman.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      01 F-350, 05 Suburban
      02-28-2012 12:32 PM #3
      Length, Line, Action, Weight. All depends on what you are fishing for and where you are fishing.

So, what and where?

02-28-2012 12:37 PM #4
      I'll be using it mainly for trout fishing in Ontario, Canada (and I have a trip coming to Jasper, Alberta soon)

Probably in streams/small rivers.
      | BENPURKISSDESIGN |

STANCE - Related words:

5. Member
      Vehicles
      01 F-350, 05 Suburban
      02-28-2012 12:58 PM #5
      Personally for small trout streams and rivers I like a moderate action rod. Fast action doesn't work well for me, I'm not able to present as well with it.

Something along the 7' length with a 4 weight line works great for situations like this.

If you end up salmon or steel head fishing, you will want longer and heavier line. My steelhead rod is a Redington 9' 8 weight. LOVE that rod!

Most of the combos you can buy are great deals and come pre spooled with line (weight forward floating, nothing too fancy). That way you aren't spending a whole ton of money to get the basics down. If you're doing your part they will all catch fish.

Once you decide what you do or don't like you can decide if you want to spend a boatload on a fancy setup. I personally can't see spending some of the amounts of money that are possible, $1000+ for a fly rod setup? come on.......

6. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 Jetta TDI Wagon.
      02-28-2012 02:33 PM #6
      For a beginner fishing small trout streams in southern Ontario I'd probably go with a 8ft 4wt, slow action setup.. Very forgiving for beginners and still lots of fun when you hook into those 8-10in brookies while fishing dries.

The all in one setups that BPS sells are actually pretty decent.. Rod/reel/line all ready to go. All you'd need after that are some nylon leaders (Orivs makes some decent ones) a nice dry flie selection from say reelflies.ca and you'd be set.

02-28-2012 02:39 PM #7
      And what about using Tippets? Is it something you guys do?
      | BENPURKISSDESIGN |

STANCE - Related words:

8. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 Jetta TDI Wagon.
      02-28-2012 03:21 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
      And what about using Tippets? Is it something you guys do?
      Yeah, tippet is just the line you tie onto your leader so you aren't constantly making your leader shorter and shorter with each fly you change/lose/cutoff/whatever.

Mono tippet will be the cheapest and probably what I'd suggest for a beginner.. It also floats Which is what you want if you are fishing dries.. you'll probably want some 4x and 6x tippet (The larger the tippet number the lighter the line is).. More then enough to handle the small resident trout you'll be fishing for.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      01 F-350, 05 Suburban
      02-28-2012 03:28 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by MXTHOR3 View Post
      Yeah, tippet is just the line you tie onto your leader so you aren't constantly making your leader shorter and shorter with each fly you change/lose/cutoff/whatever.

Mono tippet will be the cheapest and probably what I'd suggest for a beginner.. It also floats Which is what you want if you are fishing dries.. you'll probably want some 4x and 6x tippet (The larger the tippet number the lighter the line is).. More then enough to handle the small resident trout you'll be fishing for.

What he said....

It's not expensive and does save time/effort.

02-28-2012 04:04 PM #10
      Thanks. I was reading up on it a bit and it was saying the tippet should be the same size as the leader line (4x or 6x). Or is that just so it's easier to tie together?
      | BENPURKISSDESIGN |

STANCE - Related words:

11. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 Jetta TDI Wagon.
      02-28-2012 04:53 PM #11
      Your leader will be tapered.... and should be similar in diameter to the tippet near the end.. It doesn't need to be identical, but it should be close. A double surgeons and you are good to go!

Vehicles
      08 Jetta 2.5
      02-29-2012 11:17 AM #12
      Good read

13. 02-29-2012 01:33 PM #13
      This thread is relevant to my interests!

We mainly go after larger Specks, 12" and up, and are going to fish the Steelhead run this spring. I also enjoy fishing for bass with top water lures, so I'd like to try a fly rod on them as well. Is there one universal setup which could cover all three species? How about kid friendly rigs? My 10 year old wants one as well.

kaNUK

14. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 Jetta TDI Wagon.
      02-29-2012 02:44 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by kanukVariant View Post
      This thread is relevant to my interests!

We mainly go after larger Specks, 12" and up, and are going to fish the Steelhead run this spring. I also enjoy fishing for bass with top water lures, so I'd like to try a fly rod on them as well. Is there one universal setup which could cover all three species? How about kid friendly rigs? My 10 year old wants one as well.

kaNUK
      9-10ft 7wt would probably be a decent all around rod for those species.. A little heavy for the specs and a tad bit light on the steelhead but you've gotta compromise somewhere if you only want one rig.

Now if you are talking big Nipigon specs a 10ft 8wt would be great for pretty much everything in that list. I'll be bringing up my 9ft Loop Evotec 6wt this August, can't wait!

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R DBM
      03-16-2012 07:25 AM #15
      To the OP:
      Buy an entry level rod to get started. Once you decide you like it, and have mastered the basics, get yourself a high-quality rod. You'll be truly amazed at how much better it is.

Quote Originally Posted by punisher89 View Post
      Good idea for a thread, I'd like to know too but there isn't much fly fishing happening in South Florida.
      Are you kidding?!?
      Whenever I visit my family in Sarasota, the only fishing rod I bring is my 8wt flyrod.
      I fish the intracoastal for Snook, Trout, Reds, Jacks, Ladyfish, etc, and fish the creeks, rivers, lakes and ponds for Largemouth Bass.
      Florida is a flyfishing smorgasbord.

--Chuck--
      Last edited by speedbump2; 03-16-2012 at 07:35 AM.

Vehicles
      '04 Silvy 4x4 with a turbo (FOR SALE), '66 500, '71 C10 (FOR SALE), Ol' Datsun with carbs
      04-08-2012 11:52 PM #16
      ^^Just what I thought when I read that post. South Florida is a national hot spot.

Following this thread as I'm in the same spot with being a newb to fly fishing but finding more fun in it than the bait casting I've done for years now.
      Real name is Matysik not Matt or any other thing you guys conjure up

Simplisticauto.wordpress.com