Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 24 of 24

    Thread: Learn me on smart set top boxes for NETFLIX

    1. Member Tiny Voices's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 25th, 2011
      Location
      Ellicott City, MD
      Posts
      1,005
      Vehicles
      04 G35 coupe 6MT
      02-28-2012 05:09 PM #1
      Also posted in the home theater forum.

      I am in the market for a smart thingy to stream netflix. I have looked at many options such as:

      Roku XD:
      http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Roku+-+2...&skuId=2825041

      NETGEAR Neotv:
      http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NETGEAR+...&skuId=3622326

      I would like to keep the price below $90. The less expensive the better

      I would also be open to a smart blue-ray player that is in budget.

      This is going to be used in my apartment here at school in my bedroom. (we use the ps3 in the family room for netflix when the 4 of us want to watch something together.

      The TV I use is a 26" LED Vizio that is only 720p.

      Post up some experiences or products that you know are quality for money. Thanks in advance!

    2. Member Minker17's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 1st, 2004
      Location
      Franklin, TN
      Posts
      14,650
      Vehicles
      1994 Ford Temp GL
      02-28-2012 05:17 PM #2
      For the price, you can also consider a Western Digital WDTV or for 10 bucks more, an Apple TV.
      Rick
      1994 Ford Tempo GL

    3. Member Tiny Voices's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 25th, 2011
      Location
      Ellicott City, MD
      Posts
      1,005
      Vehicles
      04 G35 coupe 6MT
      02-28-2012 05:23 PM #3
      I think I'm leaning to the Neotv just because of the price. Nothing seems to be as highly regarded for the money.

    4. Senior Member Hostile's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 29th, 2002
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      29,359
      Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      02-28-2012 05:28 PM #4
      At home I have the following devices that stream netflix (not including computers, iphones/ipad):

      Samsung TV (SmartTV)
      Samsung Blu-Ray Player (SmartTV)
      PS3
      Xbox 360
      Wii
      WDTV Live

      To be honest, the two Samsung products do the best job with the WDTV Live being a close second.

      My parents have an older Roku box which probably does the best job out of any of the devices.

    5. Member twerked's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 25th, 2005
      Location
      a big sand dune
      Posts
      5,411
      Vehicles
      2000 Maxima GLE/1987 300TD
      02-28-2012 10:15 PM #5
      apple tv and haxxors it? i've been strongly considering this. and rumors are there's a new appletv (not THE appletv) being announced about the same time as the new ipad..so you'll probably be able to get the current gens for cheaper soon. or refurb for $85..http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC572LL/A

      do you have an old laptop/other computer? could setup your own little htpc thing..

    6. Member Tiny Voices's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 25th, 2011
      Location
      Ellicott City, MD
      Posts
      1,005
      Vehicles
      04 G35 coupe 6MT
      02-28-2012 10:30 PM #6
      I'm not a big apple fan. I would rather spend $80 on something new than $80 on something refurbished.

    7. Senior Member Hostile's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 29th, 2002
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      29,359
      Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      02-28-2012 11:58 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Voices View Post
      I would rather spend $80 on something new than $80 on something refurbished.
      Someone doesn't know what refurbished actually means.

    8. Member twerked's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 25th, 2005
      Location
      a big sand dune
      Posts
      5,411
      Vehicles
      2000 Maxima GLE/1987 300TD
      02-29-2012 12:44 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Voices View Post
      I'm not a big apple fan. I would rather spend $80 on something new than $80 on something refurbished.
      i don't like apple either. the only apple product i have is an ipod, and there's a thread where i'm trying to find a replacement for it. but for $80, why the f not. i've almost impulse bought them while wandering around apple stores. and after finding that on the refurb store i might order it. free shipping too! although i may wait to see if they announce a new one and let it drop maybe more? once you hack/jailbreak it you can run plex, xbmc, and a ton of other stuff. check this site out

      http://www.appletvhacks.net/

      and apple's refurbs are damn near as good as new

    9. Member Tiny Voices's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 25th, 2011
      Location
      Ellicott City, MD
      Posts
      1,005
      Vehicles
      04 G35 coupe 6MT
      02-29-2012 10:31 AM #9
      I really don't plan to use this device for anything besides streaming netflix so I don't think I would be interested in hacking anything.

    10. 02-29-2012 11:19 AM #10
      Just wait until March 7th when there is a very good chance of a new AppleTV revision.

    11. 02-29-2012 12:24 PM #11
      copied from my other response:

      I'd get the Roku 2 HD, which outputs 720p, but not 1080p.

      It's on sale for only $49.99 with free shipping direct from Roku

      http://www.roku.com/roku-products#3

    12. Member twerked's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 25th, 2005
      Location
      a big sand dune
      Posts
      5,411
      Vehicles
      2000 Maxima GLE/1987 300TD
      02-29-2012 02:33 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Voices View Post
      I really don't plan to use this device for anything besides streaming netflix so I don't think I would be interested in hacking anything.
      ahh..well yeah, probably overkill then. do you have a laptop/extra computer? could just use that via hdmi/vga out. leave the cable plugged into the tv all the time, and just hide it behind the tv when you're not using it

    13. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 17th, 2003
      Posts
      22,853
      Vehicles
      LG G2 / Notes 3 / Nexus 5
      03-02-2012 03:14 PM #13
      Roku does Netflix the best because original that's what the device was intended for.

      Apple TV is 2nd, specialized Netflix app that's actually pretty slick.

      Netflix on other streamers like WDTV Live are not bad but very slow because they have very weak and slow hardware.

      If I have to choose, AppleTV jailbroken. Takes 3 mins to jailbreak and plays everything, uses the same processor as the iPhone4.

      The Roku 2 is for grandparents, it's easy to use and very limited in features. The hardware is not very powerful.

      Most people don't realize that their Android or iPhone can be hooked up to the TV and you can watch netflix app on your TV. Only thing you need is the proper HDMI adapter. $10-30

    14. 03-02-2012 03:22 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Vision33r View Post
      Most people don't realize that their Android or iPhone can be hooked up to the TV and you can watch netflix app on your TV. Only thing you need is the proper HDMI adapter. $10-30


      Using an MHL -> HDMI cable/dongle on my Galaxy Nexus to connect to my HT. Cost me like $11. It's pretty slick.

      New TVs are even including an MHL port, which will charge your phone while connected.

    15. Member
      Join Date
      May 24th, 2004
      Location
      Columbus, Ohio
      Posts
      6,218
      03-02-2012 04:54 PM #15
      I have a WD Live TV and it works out well for me; I'm happy with the menu layout, speed, file recognition (if you ever get into that), and they update it rather frequently. I had a Sony streamer (technically I still do) but that was a POS.

    16. Senior Member Hostile's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 29th, 2002
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      29,359
      Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      03-02-2012 04:58 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Vision33r View Post
      Netflix on other streamers like WDTV Live are not bad but very slow because they have very weak and slow hardware.
      My WDTV Live has no issues with streaming my 4-6GB Blu-Ray rips from my home server nor streaming "HD" content from Netflix. It can get finicky with my 8-10GB 1080p Blu-Ray rips but they play fine more often than not.

    17. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 17th, 2003
      Posts
      22,853
      Vehicles
      LG G2 / Notes 3 / Nexus 5
      03-02-2012 05:33 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      My WDTV Live has no issues with streaming my 4-6GB Blu-Ray rips from my home server nor streaming "HD" content from Netflix. It can get finicky with my 8-10GB 1080p Blu-Ray rips but they play fine more often than not.
      I think the only thing the WDTV needs is a faster processor. I think the current one runs at only like 333MHZ while the AppleTV has a 800mhz A4 with a very powerful GPU.

      The Apple TV is obviously the most powerful box and it's unfortunate that some people don't like the brand and I could care less as long as it offers what I want.

      It comes down to preferences, do you want something very simple with limited functionality or something more powerful and more features.

      BTW, I did sell my AppleTV recently for a good profit because Apple stopped selling them. I imagine a more powerful version is coming out next week.

    18. Member Tiny Voices's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 25th, 2011
      Location
      Ellicott City, MD
      Posts
      1,005
      Vehicles
      04 G35 coupe 6MT
      03-06-2012 01:53 PM #18
      If I can get an Apple tv for 70-80 bucks its a done deal. Used or not I don't really care.

      Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

    19. 03-25-2012 12:20 AM #19
      ROKU the private channels will have you thanking yourself.

    20. Member Mike!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 17th, 2002
      Location
      Ontario & Ohio
      Posts
      13,024
      Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      03-26-2012 10:13 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Voices View Post
      If I can get an Apple tv for 70-80 bucks its a done deal. Used or not I don't really care.

      Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
      Out of stock ATM, but they do pop up on the Apple Store as Refurbs every now and then.

      http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FC572LL/A

      That's the Canadian store, I think they're $69 for the US when they're up there.

    21. 03-26-2012 10:16 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Vision33r View Post
      I think the only thing the WDTV needs is a faster processor. I think the current one runs at only like 333MHZ while the AppleTV has a 800mhz A4 with a very powerful GPU.

      The Apple TV is obviously the most powerful box and it's unfortunate that some people don't like the brand and I could care less as long as it offers what I want.

      It comes down to preferences, do you want something very simple with limited functionality or something more powerful and more features.

      BTW, I did sell my AppleTV recently for a good profit because Apple stopped selling them. I imagine a more powerful version is coming out next week.
      I have both an AppleTV2 (soon the 3) and WDTV Live. You can't tell there is any difference in processor speed at all. The WDTV Live streams every bit as well as the AppleTV.

    22. 03-27-2012 10:06 PM #22
      ROKU you'll love all the free content channels

    23. 04-01-2012 06:47 PM #23
      i have an original ROKU and for $8 a month and all the free content you certainly get a veritable buffet of content. I run it on WiiFii and speed is never an issue.

      Does anyone know the difference between the origanal ROKU and ROKU 2?

    24. 04-06-2012 04:23 AM #24
      ROKU 2 has a different chipset.

      I hear when loading a video roku 2 will start immediate grainy then as it gains information from your connection it will raises the resolution. So no more retrieving screen, personally i love my 1st gen ROKU XDS the redesigned one with the same chipset as the origianl roku.

      Your original has a power button?

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •