Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Inversion therapy

Vehicles
      2013 Passat TDI, 1959 Vw Bug
      02-29-2012 01:35 AM #1
      Allow me to preface this by saying I am the last person who would ever fall for one of those "As seen on TV" scams...

But after some tedious searching, I can not find any bad about this. With the exception of the occasional queasiness when first starting out, I have found no bad reviews.

But I am considering picking up one of these "Teeter Hang-Ups".

They are the only one approved by the Underwriters Labratories, tested at 4.5x the maximum weight, and as I said.... No complaints.

Does anyone have any experience with one of these?

Vehicles
      2014 WRX Limited
      02-29-2012 09:42 AM #2
      I used one at the state fair, and instantly got a headache, and felt like my face was going to explode.

3. Member
      02-29-2012 10:00 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by kryptonik View Post
      I used one at the state fair, and instantly got a headache, and felt like my face was going to explode.
      Yeah, I don't think "The Fire Ball" counts as inversion therapy....

Vehicles
      2014 WRX Limited
      02-29-2012 11:40 AM #4
      lmao!

it was most definitely this thing.

Vehicles
      Is300
      02-29-2012 01:15 PM #5
      my freind bought one at costco to 'help his bad back'. i used it for a minute or two, thought my face was going to explode and thought i was going to throw up. no thanks.
      Ferrari Scuderia 2012 - "The people who speak badly about me then tremble and cry when they want to have their picture taken with me” - F. Alonso
      Now recruiting for IT/financial/accounting/creative services in fairfield county and metro nyc, pm if interested

Vehicles
      2014 WRX Limited
      02-29-2012 03:44 PM #6
      puking on there would be hilarious to see.

Vehicles
      02-29-2012 03:59 PM #7
      For those who have tried it and did not like it,

What stage did you start out at?

They recommend working your way up to full inversion over a matter of a few weeks.

They have a limiting strap which adjusts to 20% inversion, 40% inversion, and 60% inversion. And if you go strapless, you will go full inversion which they strongly recommend not doing right off the bat.

It will throw off your equilibrium, and could cause nausea, passing out, headaches, do to the blood rush to the brain and not being accustomed to it.

The reason I have been considering this is because I have a bad lower back and arthritis in my knees (at only 33) and have heard this creates tremendous relief for those situations.

Vehicles
      Is300
      02-29-2012 04:54 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by fixmy59bug View Post
      For those who have tried it and did not like it,

What stage did you start out at?

They recommend working your way up to full inversion over a matter of a few weeks.

They have a limiting strap which adjusts to 20% inversion, 40% inversion, and 60% inversion. And if you go strapless, you will go full inversion which they strongly recommend not doing right off the bat.

It will throw off your equilibrium, and could cause nausea, passing out, headaches, do to the blood rush to the brain and not being accustomed to it.

The reason I have been considering this is because I have a bad lower back and arthritis in my knees (at only 33) and have heard this creates tremendous relief for those situations.
      oh. yea i started at full inversions. and i did get all the syptoms you descrbed.
      Ferrari Scuderia 2012 - "The people who speak badly about me then tremble and cry when they want to have their picture taken with me” - F. Alonso
      Now recruiting for IT/financial/accounting/creative services in fairfield county and metro nyc, pm if interested

Vehicles
      2012 Passat S manual
      03-05-2012 08:41 AM #9
      My parents have one, I use it every time I am there and love it. My wife has scoliosis and she uses it all the time, it really helps her.

Vehicles
      Hyper Foreman Scar
      04-18-2012 04:36 PM #10
      I searched for this thread just to see if one existed, because if not I was going to start one.

THE TEETER HANG UPS SAVED MY LIFE!

Seriously, if you have disc issues with your back this is the best thing ever. I'll save all the retyping and link to my review on Amazon. I literally am in constant pain (like can't sleep or walk or move pain) if I don't use it for a couple days, but if I use it just 5-10 minutes a day I'm a normal person again. It's been about 3 and a half months and each day is better and better.

Of the several friends who have tried it, most claim to feel a bit better afterward and I've got at least one who will use it regularly now that he's used to it.

It definitely takes a bit to get used to so take it easy the first few tries and make sure you get all your adjustment settings right. You should basically be able to lay back and stay horizontal with your hands at your sides, or invert if you put them above your head. Once you are used to it then it's nothing. I can hop on and hang without even thinking about it.

The other issue people have is that their feet hurt after a few minutes. I find this happens more with bare feet or socks, but if you have shoes on it's not so bad. I can easily hang 15+ minutes with no problems and have even fallen asleep on the thing.

One thing which I have no proof of, but firmly believe it to be true, is that I think my overall sense of balance and hand-eye coordination has improved. I don't really know how to explain that one other than a few occasions where people have either thrown something to me I didn't think I would catch or I'd stumble and catch myself from falling where I think I normally would have. I don't know, honestly.

It's very weird to have grown so attached to what is basically fitness equipment, but I honestly can't imagine my life without it. It would be misery.
      drop>drive>destroy>dispose | "You may be surprised to discover you're rich, especially if you're broke." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

"I might get crucified for this but, I honestly believe that people who hate on other automotive sub-cultures are not real car fans." ~ Paddy McGrath

Vehicles
      04-18-2012 05:09 PM #11
      Ryan,

Thank you so much for the review.

I started reading it and though to my self "This sounds too much like a commercial. It must be spam".

But then I saw that you are a legitimate member who has been here for a while and has some posts under your belt, so I will take your review to be honest.

That type of review is pretty much the same as what I have been finding and still have not found one legitimate negative review.

So thanks to you and everyone who added insight. I will be ordering mine soon.

Vehicles
      Hyper Foreman Scar
      04-18-2012 05:55 PM #12
      Ha ha ha, yeah, it's pretty hard to be as ecstatic without sounding full of ****, but I assure you I am real

drop>drive>destroy>dispose | "You may be surprised to discover you're rich, especially if you're broke." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

"I might get crucified for this but, I honestly believe that people who hate on other automotive sub-cultures are not real car fans." ~ Paddy McGrath

Vehicles
      2014 WRX Limited
      04-19-2012 10:39 AM #13
      It took me a long time to figure out you were wearing glasses in that photo.
      I was convinced you had the wildest unibrow ever.

Vehicles
      '13 Camry Hybrid, '11 Routan, , 2004 Triumph Sprint ST
      04-19-2012 02:34 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by kryptonik View Post
      It took me a long time to figure out you were wearing glasses in that photo.
      I was convinced you had the wildest unibrow ever.
      +1!

Vehicles
      Hyper Foreman Scar
      04-19-2012 09:43 PM #15
      Ha ha, that pic inspired me to get a little more creative with it.

ʎɐpɹɹǝ uʍop ǝpısdn

(and no, my garage isn't always filled with ****, just got the house up for sale)

16. 04-19-2012 10:23 PM #16
      why not just get against a wall and learn to do a hand stand?

that way you do inversion therapy and build strength..

Vehicles
      Hyper Foreman Scar
      04-19-2012 10:37 PM #17
      Well, other than the fact someone with a herniated disc can barely move, let alone do a handstand...

The whole point is that you are hanging by your ankles so gravity can pull down the rest of your body. Doing a handstand will have all your weight compressed on your upper body, which is basically the opposite. The being upside down part isn't really desired, it's just the only way gravity works.

Vehicles
      Indigo Blue B5.5 wagon (hers), Silverstone B5.5 wagon (his), 96 Passat TDI (his), 90 Corrado (his)
      04-20-2012 10:49 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Bains View Post
      why not just get against a wall and learn to do a hand stand?

that way you do inversion therapy and build strength..
      I was going to suggest this. And if you're ready for the next level, then you do push ups while in hand stand

You really don't need that much time on inversions, a minute is enough and safe, too!
      Check out some of my vortex feedback: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?952415

19. Geriatric Member firefighterjunkie's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '04 GTI and '03 Passat Wagon
      04-26-2012 11:08 PM #19
      As gimmicky as those things look, I'm sure that they probably work and feel good after some amount of time. I went to a chiropractor in Portland who would put me in a traction device that would pull up on your head to relieve pressure on your spine/back and it felt AMAZING (although looked ridiculous).