Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Product Review: MKV R32 Forge Motorsport Intake System

Vehicles
      2008 VW R32 [TR #2392]
      02-29-2012 03:00 AM #1
      I got impatient. I was going to do this over the weekend but I had the long awaited Forge Motorsport Induction System for the MKV R32...in hand. Mike@Forge was gracious enough to let www.PerformanceLEDs.com get a first hand account of this new kit.

What makes this intake any different than the others? EVOMs, Modshack, VF Engineering, HPA, and now Forge Motorsports. What I find unique in this design is that fact that it is a closed system. All of the air intake is from outside the engine bay. This means instantly cooler ambient air temperatures, you could go so far as to say this would be a genuine cold air intake system.

The first thing we did was unpack the box. It came well packaged and padded for transport [it has to be, seeing as they ship from the United Kingdom] and comes with all hardware.

[2x] Larger Clamps
      [3x] Smaller Clamps
      [1x] Intake Canister
      [3x] Silicone Hose Segments
      [1x] Induction Scoop [Metal]
      [2x] Forge Stickers

*** Clamps not pictured ***

Quick break down of the components, build quality, and the like.

Hose Clamps - These are nice quality, I have seen some kits come with horrible clamps that bind or dig into the hose material. With these, the track for the screws has a thick bottom and does not cut into the hose and no binding. This pleases me, as I hate hose clamps in general.

Intake Canister - It's large. About 8 inches long and 9 inches in diameter. It has two caps on each end of the canister with one cap attached to the filter element. The wall of the canister is very sturdy and even with the end cap off, it did not flex easily. I also liked the matte carbon fibre look of the canister. I wasn't sold on it at first, but I actually really like it now. For those who are wondering, there is NO insulation in the canister. Given the design, there isn't much need for it as the outside air temps will naturally bring down the temperature of the canister itself. [See Below Img]

Silicone Hose - These are Forge's typical line of hoses, great quality and VERY sturdy due to their thick walls and reinforcement. I clamped down most of the intake system including the canister and the elbow joint EASILY held the weight of the canister up. This made it easy to work on aligning the last segment of hose which is a bit tricky.

Induction Scoop - I was excited to see it was made from metal. It gives the system that extra touch of quality, and it's not some thin gauge sheet metal. You can see from the photos these are very nicely welded together segments of thicker gauge steel. [See Below Img]

Forge Stickers - One vinyl sticker and one printer sticker. I won't be putting either on my canister, but nice for those who want to.

Installation was fairly easy for me, because I already had the Modshack intake system installed so I did not have to remove the OEM airbox and mounting stuff. Now, I love my Modshack VTDA intake system and found nothing wrong with it at all. I decided to give the Forge intake a go because I really love the concept of a closed induction system [you OEM+ buffs might appreciate it, as it's much like that of the OEM design.] It took me about an hour, partly because I was taking video, photos, and just eyeballing everything closely.

Once you get down to the bare throttle body, you put your first hose on, clamp it, then you slip your second clamp and attach your MAF [if you flip your MAF accidentally, just remember the two screw holes face away from the throttle body] and then clamp it. If you left the MAF sensor in, you might panic for a moment that you put the hose on a little too far over the throttle body, because the MAF segment will stop about an inches away from the hose. Relax, you simply have to re-route the wiring a little bit. Kind of flex it out and run it behind the brake fluid reservoir, I found this really easy to do with the MAF segment attached by pulling it to as far as it will go [not hard, protect the wires] then manipulating the wire harness to give you the inches you need. See below image.

Then we mount the elbow segment to the MAF, clamp it down. Doesn't need to be tight, we'll be tweaking the orientation of this a little later.

Then, we remove the OEM plastic induction scoop and mount the supplied Forge induction scoop. This is easier said than done. The right most T-25 screw is a breeze to get off. The left most, however is not. The intake runner and the vacuum system are in the way. The plastic scoop blocks just about everything from the right side and the engine is in the way from the right. You've got about 3-4 inches of usable space. I ended up using a tiny ratchet and a T-25 bit to get it off, and I could only move the ratchet two clicks at a time. Made me wish I had a larger variety of torx drivers in various sizes. With that off, the new induction scoop from Forge is nicely designed as it leaves PLENTY of room for you to hand screw in the left side. Since it does swoop so far to the right, the right most screw is taken at an angle but will be a breeze compared to what you just endured with the left side.

Before putting the canister in, put the last silicone hose and two clamps over the spiffy new induction scoop [press it as far as you can to allow the canister room for when you install it next.

Lastly, we attached the canister to the elbow [don't forget the clamp!], tighten that down snuggly making sure the hose is seated properly. Align the intake canister up with the hose [slip it up around both the canister and the scoop at this point]. You might have to hold the canister at and angle but tighten down the clamp with a nice solid seal. Play with the silicone hoses [be careful not to loosen them too much] to help with alignment if needed. It doesn't need to be perfect. Just clamp the last one, then tighten everything up. If you're like me, you'll tweak everything for that picture perfect look.

Vehicles
      2008 VW R32 [TR #2392]
      02-29-2012 03:00 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by LoyalSage View Post
      OP,

Thanks for posting this information. I wonder though, why does Forge not provide a solution to delete the noise pipe since this intake requires that to be done?

If you want it done properly, you will have to buy the intake (not cheap I am sure) then also shell out cash for the A3 delete kit from ECS. I know they designed this intake with UK in mind but to want to sell to the US market and ignore the different setup we have... well thats a in my opinion.

EDIT: I just noticed that they do provide one hose which gets rid of the Y splitter, so I guess my question is, do they provide a cover so that you can seal up the area where you remove the noise pipe?
      Good question, I spoke with Forge about this at length as I posed the same question. Indeed the intake system removes the entire OEM induction system except for the MAF segment, as you can see in the photos. The reality is Forge could include some cap (to keep the cost down it wouldn't be anything fancy) in the kit but they are aware of the A3 block off kit for the noisepipe delete and basically there was no point in reinventing the wheel. The OEM+ solution (A3 blockoff) would, of course, be an extra cost but there are many who have already done this mod with even an OEM induction system so it may not be an issue for them. Those who don't want to spend the money on the A3 mod are welcome to spend a few dollars on a blockoff of choice, this way you get the same general result as Forge might have included. Some sticklers might find themselves wanting a better solution than a simple cap, anyways. This way, instead of directly increasing the cost of the kit (even if by a few dollars) it leaves it up to the customer to decide on how to go about doing this.

Another thing I am wondering about is why do you think the EVOMS is not a closed setup? It is open if you lift the hood however when closed there are rubber seals that should do a fairly good job at keeping engine bay air out and most air coming in from the outside via the opening up front.

I am happy to see another option on the market, the more competition the better I say, but I don't think this one will be superior in any way other than maybe the sound? I do like the way it looks though and it would be nice to not have to worry about the EVOMS box scraping at my hoses.
      If a door is opened a crack, it's not truly closed. While I see what you mean about the EVOMs kit being as close to a 'closed' system out of the current systems available (minus the cute Carbonio intake or the elusive GruppeM intake), hot air still finds it's way inside the system from the engine bay. The seal against the hood is lost once you remove the hood liner or when the rubber seals come off (wish they had installed it in a more permanent way rather than an adhesive as I lost mine twice in the short time of ownership).

Sound with this kit should be lower than any of the other kits on the market for two reasons. First, the noise tube is removed so you lose the sound being fed into the dash. Second, with the Forge induction system being a sealed system, the noise actually makes it's way outside the front of the car. So, it's quieter as it doesn't resonate inside the hood. This is a bonus for those who want a more quiet system that still performs excellently. You do have some throaty sound, but it is easier heard outside the car and under overpasses.

I'll make a quick comment about performance here and will expand in more detail when I can. From stock to K&N Panel Filter I notice improved throttle response and that is about it. Slightly louder. From K&N Panel Filter to EVOMs I noticed improved throttle response again and some slight power gains (which diminished with a heatsoaked system) and much throatier sound. From EVOMs to Modshack, I noticed even more power improvement and a glorious sound. From Modshack to Forge BFI the throttle response is once again improved and performance noticeably better with the loss of the throaty intake sound. Obviously, all this means NOTHING without numbers from a dynograph to verify. Regardless, for me I'm very attuned to my car, how it drives, and how it responds to driver input. Everyone is different regarding this.

What I speak isn't the gospel, just my take on things.

P.S. - You don't have to call me OP, call me Beta.
      Last edited by BetaOp9; 04-24-2012 at 02:54 AM.

Vehicles
      Generic Golf R
      02-29-2012 03:08 AM #3
      Wow, I love the look of that thing! Great review Shawn!
      instagram: @baconfenders | Bagged APR Stage 2+ Golf R

Vehicles
      2008 VW R32 [TR #2392]
      02-29-2012 03:12 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by smyrnagti View Post
      Wow, I love the look of that thing! Great review Shawn!
      Thanks! Can't wait to drive it. Too tired tonight. Drove about 300 miles this afternoon.

Then the real review followed by a more detailed comparison between the Forge Intake and Modshack's. ;-)

Vehicles
      2007 Audi 8P S3
      02-29-2012 03:25 AM #5
      Great review Shawn , this thing looks great and I love that you centred all the Forge logo's on the silicone hoses upright

What would have been a real winner would have been to log airflow and intake temperatures on both systems

Vehicles
      Golf R32
      02-29-2012 04:58 AM #6
      Very nice
      Official OG .:R32 Owners Club Member

7. Member
      02-29-2012 07:42 AM #7
      I cannot wait to get one of these.

Looking forwards to your driving impressions.

Vehicles
      3.2 electric boogaloo bitches
      02-29-2012 08:05 AM #8
      Rad
      WITW2014 UNIbrace

9. Member
      Vehicles
      Mk5 R32 #108, 08' Mk5 Jetta
      02-29-2012 08:05 AM #9
      Excited as well
      Projekt German Auto Grüppe - German car entusiast club based in Iowa with members all over the Midwest

Vehicles
      1984 SVO Mustang, 1997 Millenia S, 2006 X3, 2008 R32, 2010 Golf TDI
      02-29-2012 08:11 AM #10
      Just watch out for the intake rubbing on hoses. Seems like most of the intakes do, in some way.
      Candy White 2008 .:R32 #532 and Shark Blue 2010 Golf TDI
      .:R you in? I'm in. You .:R what you drive.
      Seduced by the Da.:Rk side I am.
      The Golf R brings balance to the FoRce.

Vehicles
      2009 VW GTI ; 2012 VW Golf TDI - 4DR 6MT
      02-29-2012 08:15 AM #11
      In for Deets

-Jason
      '12 TDI 6M with "stuff"
      Drive a Diesel?
      Underwraps Automotive

12. Member
      02-29-2012 08:19 AM #12
      Just noticed that the intake is listed for sale on Forge's website for $330

BUT

No stock until the end of March

Vehicles
      '04 R32 '10 GTI '10 Passat Wagon '87 GTI VR6
      02-29-2012 08:24 AM #13
      Nice write-up, another quality Forge product!

Vehicles
      3.2 electric boogaloo bitches
      02-29-2012 08:34 AM #14
      So what the heck is the world going to do with all these dumped intakes when the switch is made?????

I even want one
      WITW2014 UNIbrace

15. Member
      Vehicles
      02-29-2012 08:38 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by abeR View Post
      So what the heck is the world going to do with all these dumped intakes when the switch is made?????

I even want one
      mines already sold
      Projekt German Auto Grüppe - German car entusiast club based in Iowa with members all over the Midwest

Vehicles
      2008 VW R32 [DBP #4582]
      02-29-2012 08:41 AM #16

I even want one
      Keepin my Modshack. Bought an intake for sound and looks and Modshack covers that!

17. Member
      Vehicles
      02-29-2012 08:43 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
      Just noticed that the intake is listed for sale on Forge's website for $330

BUT

No stock until the end of March
      I see that. I wonder how well the blue hose matches DBM paint

Vehicles
      2007 Audi 8P S3
      02-29-2012 08:52 AM #18
      I did contemplate the move to Forge but I could never give up the GruppeM , it's just way too awesome

Vehicles
      Harley 48
      02-29-2012 09:31 AM #19
      That looks pretty gnarly.

I couldn't deal with the carbon fiber though. Plasti Dip would come into play.

Vehicles
      02-29-2012 09:36 AM #20

I even want one
      I'm sure there will be plenty of owners ready to snatch up used intakes
      -Jason
      '12 TDI 6M with "stuff"
      Drive a Diesel?
      Underwraps Automotive

Vehicles
      2008 CW R32
      02-29-2012 10:12 AM #21
      Shawn, can you ask if they are going to CARB certify it for California drivers? I'm getting nowhere with HPA on the intake I bought in the group buy.
      2008 R32 #3329 - DubsDub
      HPA Hockey Puck, HPA Sport CAI, GenII Haldex, Passat Amp, RNS-510 F, 9W3 BT (for Red Dot), MDI (Armrest)

Vehicles
      2008/VW/R32
      02-29-2012 11:18 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by rhcp4life View Post
      I see that. I wonder how well the blue hose matches DBM paint

Send from my 3D using Tapatalk
      R32/939

23. Member
      Vehicles
      02-29-2012 12:42 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Tampavw View Post

Send from my 3D using Tapatalk
      looks good, better than evoms blue. Deeper blue i think. idk im color blind i would like to see a side by side...

Vehicles
      2008 CW R32, 2003 1.8T GTI, 1974 2002 tii
      02-29-2012 01:40 PM #24
      Looks nice, can't wait to hear feedback on how it performs/sounds.

I got my VF Intake for free, so no loss over here when I purchase one of these bad boys.
      Rigi Cola.

"The VR6 was an orchestra of well-tuned cylindrical delights." - jalopnik.com

Vehicles
      Golf R32
      02-29-2012 01:46 PM #25
      Anyone want a DBP modshack intake?

26. Member
      Vehicles
      CC 4motion
      02-29-2012 02:03 PM #26
      ^$100.
      :d

Vehicles
      Golf R32
      02-29-2012 02:35 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by oidoglr View Post
      ^$100.
      :d

Vehicles
      02-29-2012 02:51 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by DarkNeo View Post
      Anyone want a DBP modshack intake?
      $125
      -Jason
      '12 TDI 6M with "stuff"
      Drive a Diesel?
      Underwraps Automotive

Vehicles
      08 MKV R32 UG
      02-29-2012 07:21 PM #29
      subscribed to this!

looks mean

30. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Golf-R - CW - 4 Door
      02-29-2012 07:45 PM #30
      OP,

Thanks for posting this information. I wonder though, why does Forge not provide a solution to delete the noise pipe since this intake requires that to be done?

If you want it done properly, you will have to buy the intake (not cheap I am sure) then also shell out cash for the A3 delete kit from ECS. I know they designed this intake with UK in mind but to want to sell to the US market and ignore the different setup we have... well thats a in my opinion.

Another thing I am wondering about is why do you think the EVOMS is not a closed setup? It is open if you lift the hood however when closed there are rubber seals that should do a fairly good job at keeping engine bay air out and most air coming in from the outside via the opening up front.

I am happy to see another option on the market, the more competition the better I say, but I don't think this one will be superior in any way other than maybe the sound? I do like the way it looks though and it would be nice to not have to worry about the EVOMS box scraping at my hoses.

EDIT: I just noticed that they do provide one hose which gets rid of the Y splitter, so I guess my question is, do they provide a cover so that you can seal up the area where you remove the noise pipe?
      Last edited by LoyalSage; 02-29-2012 at 07:47 PM.

Vehicles
      2008 VW R32 [TR #2392]
      02-29-2012 10:22 PM #31
      OP,

Good question, I spoke with Forge about this at length as I posed the same question. Indeed the intake system removes the entire OEM induction system except for the MAF segment, as you can see in the photos. The reality is Forge could include some cap (to keep the cost down it wouldn't be anything fancy) in the kit but they are aware of the A3 block off kit for the noisepipe delete and basically there was no point in reinventing the wheel. The OEM+ solution (A3 blockoff) would, of course, be an extra cost but there are many who have already done this mod with even an OEM induction system so it may not be an issue for them. Those who don't want to spend the money on the A3 mod are welcome to spend a few dollars on a blockoff of choice, this way you get the same general result as Forge might have included. Some sticklers might find themselves wanting a better solution than a simple cap, anyways. This way, instead of directly increasing the cost of the kit (even if by a few dollars) it leaves it up to the customer to decide on how to go about doing this.

If a door is opened a crack, it's not truly closed. While I see what you mean about the EVOMs kit being as close to a 'closed' system out of the current systems available (minus the cute Carbonio intake or the elusive GruppeM intake), hot air still finds it's way inside the system from the engine bay. The seal against the hood is lost once you remove the hood liner or when the rubber seals come off (wish they had installed it in a more permanent way rather than an adhesive as I lost mine twice in the short time of ownership).

Sound with this kit should be lower than any of the other kits on the market for two reasons. First, the noise tube is removed so you lose the sound being fed into the dash. Second, with the Forge induction system being a sealed system, the noise actually makes it's way outside the front of the car. So, it's quieter as it doesn't resonate inside the hood. This is a bonus for those who want a more quiet system that still performs excellently. You do have some throaty sound, but it is easier heard outside the car and under overpasses.

I'll make a quick comment about performance here and will expand in more detail when I can. From stock to K&N Panel Filter I notice improved throttle response and that is about it. Slightly louder. From K&N Panel Filter to EVOMs I noticed improved throttle response again and some slight power gains (which diminished with a heatsoaked system) and much throatier sound. From EVOMs to Modshack, I noticed even more power improvement and a glorious sound. From Modshack to Forge BFI the throttle response is once again improved and performance noticeably better with the loss of the throaty intake sound. Obviously, all this means NOTHING without numbers from a dynograph to verify. Regardless, for me I'm very attuned to my car, how it drives, and how it responds to driver input. Everyone is different regarding this.

What I speak isn't the gospel, just my take on things.

Last edited by BetaOp9; 02-29-2012 at 10:28 PM.

32. Member
      Vehicles
      02-29-2012 11:02 PM #32
      Any chance of a preorder?

Vehicles
      2008 R32 #3603/5000
      03-01-2012 12:08 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by BetaOp9 View Post
      I'm guessing he means "OP" as in "original poster" i.e. "i'm too lazy to look for the name on the thread"
      [Forge CAI, BlueFlame catback, DLI mounts, UM software, RNS510+MDI+9W7BT, RacingBrake 4pot, OEM (projector) fogs, other Euro stuff]
      I'm a tech nerd and radar/lidar countermeasure enthusiast. I like track days, autocross, and US Highway 129. I love aural pleasure.
      WitW 2014 || I UM

34. Member
      Vehicles
      UG MkV R32; 4.2 Q7 Daytona Grey
      03-01-2012 12:17 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by BetaOp9 View Post
      Your butt dyno is probably accurate. There was a dyno supplied by Forge iirc in an earlier thread, but it was hard to make out which lines were before and after. The claim was 6-9 hp, no?

35. Member
      Vehicles
      UG MkV R32; 4.2 Q7 Daytona Grey
      03-01-2012 12:20 AM #35
      Shawn, forgot to ask: any sense of the weight differences between OEM and the Forge? How heavy is that steel air induction piece? It looks hefty.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast