Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Mikunis on an ABA

Vehicles
      A1, A3
      02-29-2012 01:46 PM #1
      I'm picking up these carbs this weekend. All I know is they're Mikunis attached to a counterflow Eurospec head. Any identification of the model of these carbs... possible size...? I haven't found out too much about Mikunis. They need to be rebuilt and I plan on running them on my Mk3 using a mildly built OBD1 ABA head, so I'll need a new manifold I assume.

|CHA BOI|KHROME|RIMZOS|
      |Instagram: DEMRIMZ|

|my build|

Vehicles
      2002 Forester S
      02-29-2012 03:12 PM #2
      If that's an ACTUAL Eurospec (the company) head, it'll be WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than any stock head available today. It'll say "Eurospec" near the cam gear.

They're Mikunis, that's pretty much clear, lol. As for what kind, no idea. There were 40s and 44s available, but you can't tell that without opening them up really. They're a nice carb, tough to get parts for (but not impossible, Wolf Creek Racing has tons ), but really well designed. I like their cold start choke setup, works GREAT!
      Negative scene points

Vehicles
      A1, A3
      02-29-2012 03:28 PM #3
      It's definitely a legit Eurospec

I just didn't want to run a counterflow on the mk3, since I prefer the carbs coming out the front and I'm worried about firewall clearance.
      |CHA BOI|KHROME|RIMZOS|

|my build|

Vehicles
      2002 Forester S
      02-29-2012 08:16 PM #4
      Damn, that head is pure gold .
      Negative scene points

Vehicles
      A1, A3
      03-04-2012 08:48 PM #5
      Picked everything up on Saturday. No pics though, been really busy and typing this from the school library. It also came with a new TT adjustable cam gear. So right now I'm trying to piece together more things to get this rolling. What other stuff will I for sure need? I know an MSD 6A is a must, and so is a rebuild kit for these bad boys.

Been reading on Wolf Creek Racing to find out what size an model they are. I'm assuming PHH (Type R) 40mm. Will get more pics later tonight after I get home.
      |CHA BOI|KHROME|RIMZOS|

|my build|

Vehicles
      A1, A3
      03-05-2012 12:52 AM #6
      Good news. They're Mikuni PHH 44mm S5's. Pretty stoked to know they're 44's!! Pics in a few.
      |CHA BOI|KHROME|RIMZOS|

|my build|

Vehicles
      A1, A3
      03-05-2012 01:06 AM #7

And the new cam gear too

|CHA BOI|KHROME|RIMZOS|

|my build|

Vehicles
      '12 Chevy Cruze ECO
      03-08-2012 10:12 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by B4S View Post
      Damn, that head is pure gold .
      ^ This ^

I'd run that Eurospec head ANY DAY over an ABA head. I know people give the counterflow head a bad rep, and it seems illogical to run carbs over the exhaust manifold, but trust me, it would take a very well built crossflow head to match the performance of the Eurospec.

Put some effort into fabricating a proper heat shield and air box for the carbs, and you'll be golden!

Looking forward to updates.

Vehicles
      A1, A3
      03-08-2012 11:07 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Jettaboy1884 View Post
      ^ This ^

I'd run that Eurospec head ANY DAY over an ABA head. I know people give the counterflow head a bad rep, and it seems illogical to run carbs over the exhaust manifold, but trust me, it would take a very well built crossflow head to match the performance of the Eurospec.

Put some effort into fabricating a proper heat shield and air box for the carbs, and you'll be golden!

Looking forward to updates.
      To address the heat issue, I was going to run a mk4 aeg exhaust mani with heat wrap, and also fab up some sort of heat shield like you said. I think that would be good enough to dissipate heat.

Opinions?

Also I'm about to order a couple rebuild kits for these, but I was only going to get the gaskets. These came on the 8v, so I don't need different needles, and they came off of a running car... so I think I should be good with a gasket rebuild. Thoughts?
      |CHA BOI|KHROME|RIMZOS|

|my build|

Vehicles
      A1, A3
      03-11-2012 01:52 AM #10
      Messed with the stuff a little tonight. Took the carbs and manifold off the head and gave the head a good look down. Everything looks pretty good, no damage to anything on the head. I plan on taking apart the head, getting a good hot tank and throwing it all back together with new gaskets/seals.

Probably ordering new gasket kits for the Mikunis in the next few days as well as some stuff for the head (head bolts, gaskets).

I am putting the Eurospec setup on the stock OBD2 ABA head in my Mk3. I have a few questions:

Will my plastic coolant flange from my ABA head fit on the Eurospec (looks like it will...)?
      Which head gasket should I get? I am seeing different ones for a mk2 and mk3 8V.
      Which intake manifold gasket do I need for a Eurospec head? The mk2 and mk3 8V ones are different.

I think that's it for now... I will take some more pics tomorrow of the stuff off of the head after I hit up the junkyard in the AM.

|CHA BOI|KHROME|RIMZOS|

|my build|

Vehicles
      A1, A3
      03-12-2012 01:06 AM #11
      Sorry no updates on the actual carbs. They're off the head waiting for a clean up and gasket rebuild.

Completely disassembled the head today. It needs a new cam and some machining on the cam followers due to what looks like oil starvation.

It was nice out, had some friends doing all sorts of stuff.

All the valves and lifters look great. Already ordered a new cam seal and valve seals.

Completely apart, ready for a hot tank then reassembly!

|CHA BOI|KHROME|RIMZOS|

|my build|

Vehicles
      '12 Chevy Cruze ECO
      03-12-2012 08:29 AM #12
      Awesome. Glad to see you're sticking with the Eurospec head.

Regarding the coolant flanges: I'm pretty sure the side flange (over the clutch area) is a different bolt pattern than the ABA flange. You'll also notice the front flange (over the distributor) which does not exist on the ABA setup. You're going to have to do some coolant hose re-routing to plumb this into your car (sorry, I didn't think you were putting this in a Mk3).

In the scheme of things, re-routing a few hoses is not difficult. If you have any parts yards nearby with Mk2's, maybe pay a visit and grab any decent hoses to chop up. Or they're not expensive to buy new.

Keep the progress pics coming!

Oh, and nice Harlequin.

Vehicles
      A1, A3
      03-13-2012 03:13 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Jettaboy1884 View Post
      Awesome. Glad to see you're sticking with the Eurospec head.

Regarding the coolant flanges: I'm pretty sure the side flange (over the clutch area) is a different bolt pattern than the ABA flange. You'll also notice the front flange (over the distributor) which does not exist on the ABA setup. You're going to have to do some coolant hose re-routing to plumb this into your car (sorry, I didn't think you were putting this in a Mk3).

In the scheme of things, re-routing a few hoses is not difficult. If you have any parts yards nearby with Mk2's, maybe pay a visit and grab any decent hoses to chop up. Or they're not expensive to buy new.

Keep the progress pics coming!

Oh, and nice Harlequin.
      Now I'm trying to think how to route my heater hoses and such. I have a new water pump and other stuff but now I'm not sure if any of it will fit (I bought it all before I knew I was doing this!).

I'm going to the junkyard tomorrow, hopefully I can find some 8V mk2's to strip hoses and flanges off of.

I'm taking the head to a machine shop to get it looked at in the morning, then hot tanked and reassembled sometime soon.

Thanks, it should be pretty fun with the new setup. Granted I actually get it all done!
      |CHA BOI|KHROME|RIMZOS|

|my build|

Vehicles
      A1, A3
      03-13-2012 07:47 PM #14
      Didn't find anything helpful at the junkyard today.

Engine machine shop told me the cam caps and everything looked fine, but I would need a new cam (knew this already though).

Bought this cam from a friend. Autotech 270 Hyrdaulic Lifter cam... but I think I have solid lifters... How can I tell?

Also scored two boxes of brand new ARP hardware, including head studs.

|CHA BOI|KHROME|RIMZOS|

|my build|

Vehicles
      A1, A3
      03-13-2012 08:44 PM #15
      Ok definitely a solid lifter head. I goofed on buying this Autotech 270, but the price was right. It's for sale now.

Oops! Whatever, I plan on going bigger anyways (286 AT).

Ok ok, I'm almost done with this head stuff, I'll get started on rebuilding the carbs very very soon. Ordering the rebuild kits shortly!
      |CHA BOI|KHROME|RIMZOS|

|my build|

Vehicles
      A1, A3
      03-17-2012 03:21 AM #16
      Sold the Autotech 270 About to order a 286 and finish up the head so I can get started on the carbs.

Been getting stuff for a battery location as well (e36 positive cable and a nice little distribution block)

The valve cover was stainless and looked great, except for where someone welded some steel on the top for the throttle cable mount... which was all rusty by now. Sanded it down and painted it tonight.

Going with silver, I don't plan on doing any crazy Harlequin color matching in the bay. Sorry for lack of updates. I'm going back to school tomorrow and spring break is at a close. Plan was to get the head totally complete and ready to drop in before I start messing with the carb setups. Didn't want to get involved in both messes at the same time
      Last edited by upoo2; 03-20-2012 at 02:02 AM.
      |CHA BOI|KHROME|RIMZOS|

|my build|

Vehicles
      1986 Golf MK2 CL
      03-19-2012 11:04 PM #17
      This is pretty cool to see! I actually have a set of Solex ADDHE 40's... the predecessor to the Mikuni's....

You seem to have good luck all around!

Vehicles
      WolfyJetta 98VR6 DE GTI
      04-21-2012 07:07 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by upoo2 View Post
      To address the heat issue, I was going to run a mk4 aeg exhaust mani with heat wrap, and also fab up some sort of heat shield like you said. I think that would be good enough to dissipate heat.

Opinions?

Also I'm about to order a couple rebuild kits for these, but I was only going to get the gaskets. These came on the 8v, so I don't need different needles, and they came off of a running car... so I think I should be good with a gasket rebuild. Thoughts?
      Look here!
      http://www.piercemanifolds.com/product_p/99003.015.htm

Vehicles
      WolfyJetta 98VR6 DE GTI
      04-21-2012 07:09 PM #19
      I have a carb'd south African counterflow head ready to rock. I'll trade you for the Eurospec! All the works done no need for plugs in the injector ports. Plug and play, just get the carbs,mani,FPR and plumb it.