Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TIGSEL build thread

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL 4Motion, 2012 Touareg Hybrid
      02-29-2012 09:58 PM #1
      Hello everyone,

I am going to dedicate this thread to all the mods I will be doing on my Tig. Originally I was planning to leave it stock but I just cant help myself, lol. My mods will mostly be cosmetic (for now). Here is the list I compiled:

1- Xpel headlights/foglights shields (installed)
      2- OEM door moldings (installed)
      3- OEM back up camera with module (installed)
      4- OEM Rear hatch aluminum molding (installed)
      5- OEM Side steps (may be)
      6- 3M Clear Bra (installed)
      7- Bull bars (can't find any yet)
      8- Euro Switch (pricing out)
      9- OEM aspherical mirrors (installed)
      10- Individual badges (received)
      11- OEM R-line door sills (installed)
      12- OEM stainless steel mirror caps (en-route)
      13- Fog light chrome bezel (looking for)
      14- OEM rear underride guard (pricing out)
      15- Hood Air Deflector (installed)

As you probably already noticed I prefer OEM accessories over aftermarket (with the exception of a few items such cross bars and xpel). I personally think they have better fit and finish.
      So far the only thing I've installed is the Xpel which I must say fit perfectly. The cut and quality is excellent, well worth $45.00 especially when MSRP on your headlights is over $1200 each. I took some pics (see below) but you can't even tell its there unless you touch it. Installation was a PITA but it all worked out great. A heat gun is a MUST otherwise you won't be able to lay it properly due to a thickness of the film, which I must note is pretty thick. I'll be posting more pics as I progress with other mods

My new ride

X-pell installed
      Last edited by TIGSEL; 02-28-2013 at 04:19 PM.

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL w/Premium Nav; 2011 BMW X3 35i
      02-29-2012 10:15 PM #2
      Looking forward to seeing pictures as you install these!

Vehicles
      03-07-2012 03:17 PM #3
      Ok, got my side moldings today, so far very happy with look and feel. They are made in Spain. They came primed now I just have to get them painted and put them on. Unfortunately they did not come with any instructions, here are some pics.

Last edited by TIGSEL; 03-07-2012 at 03:25 PM.

Vehicles
      06 GTI, 04 Jetta (Gone)
      03-07-2012 05:46 PM #4
      I actually really dig those headlights
      Tomas Sport Tuning + Bag Riders = BAGS & BBS RS

Vehicles
      03-14-2012 10:22 PM #5
      Just ordered aspherical mirror set from OEM Plus along with the "individual" badges. I debated between "R" badge or "I" badge and decided that "I" badge will be more appropriate and justified since I will be individualizing my vehicle by adding various OEM accessories. If all goes well I should have my stuff in 2-3 weeks.

6. Member
      03-14-2012 10:43 PM #6
      So the US model's don't get the concave mirorr lenses as standard?
      Weird....
      2010 Tiguan APR Stg2/6MT/Biscay Blue
      Build thread: http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f97/...tig-45083.html

Vehicles
      09 TiG 6MT, 1990 Cabriolet, and Treg 2 v8
      03-15-2012 12:09 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by team_v View Post
      Weird....
      Nope, not standard...

Vehicles
      03-15-2012 01:11 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by team_v View Post
      Weird....
      Thanks to DOT we're stuck with standard flat mirrors and ugly amber (orange) reflectors and the list of other "doesn't make sense" regulations.

9. Member
      03-15-2012 05:35 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by TIGSEL View Post
      Thanks to DOT we're stuck with standard flat mirrors and ugly amber (orange) reflectors and the list of other "doesn't make sense" regulations.
      We don't get folding mirrors, puddle lights, kessy or traffic updates via radia so you win some and you lose some.
      2010 Tiguan APR Stg2/6MT/Biscay Blue
      Build thread: http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f97/...tig-45083.html

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      03-16-2012 11:29 AM #10
      TIGSEL- where did you get the Xpel headlight protectors?

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan, 1982 Alfa Spider, Cannondale R700
      03-16-2012 04:43 PM #11
      Do any manufacturers make replacement tinted or clear lenses for the front bumper marker lights?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Vehicles
      03-16-2012 07:38 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Pablo509 View Post
      TIGSEL- where did you get the Xpel headlight protectors?
      Here is the link: http://www.autoanything.com/lights/6...0A3452129.aspx

BTW: Where did you get your OEM scuff plates, how much?

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      03-17-2012 12:36 PM #13
      Here is the link: http://www.autoanything.com/lights/6...0A3452129.aspx

BTW: Where did you get your OEM scuff plates, how much?
      Thanks for the link. We ordered our scuff plates through the dealer. Because we purchased our car through the Costco Auto Program, we received a $50 gift certificate to use for parts or service at the dealership. We hadn't decided what to spend it on yet, and within a couple of days she expressed concern about scratching the sill with her shoe when getting in or out of the vehicle. That's when I decided that we would use the gift certificate on scuff plates. I am pretty sure I could have gotten then cheaper but with the gift certificate we spent $175. The front ones look really nice, the rear ones are just ok, but they do offer some protection.

I saw some scuff plates on eBay that look remarkably lie the OEM ones, but you would be ordering from China, which I am not crazy about. I'll see if I can find the link and post it here.

Vehicles
      03-17-2012 04:19 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Pablo509 View Post
      Thanks for the link. We ordered our scuff plates through the dealer. Because we purchased our car through the Costco Auto Program, we received a $50 gift certificate to use for parts or service at the dealership. We hadn't decided what to spend it on yet, and within a couple of days she expressed concern about scratching the sill with her shoe when getting in or out of the vehicle. That's when I decided that we would use the gift certificate on scuff plates. I am pretty sure I could have gotten then cheaper but with the gift certificate we spent $175. The front ones look really nice, the rear ones are just ok, but they do offer some protection.

I saw some scuff plates on eBay that look remarkably lie the OEM ones, but you would be ordering from China, which I am not crazy about. I'll see if I can find the link and post it here.
      Some pictures would be nice too
      BTW: were they a 4 piece or an 8 piece st?

15. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      03-18-2012 12:40 PM #15
      Some pictures would be nice too
      BTW: were they a 4 piece or an 8 piece st?
      4 piece, I'll try to get some pictures posted ASAP.

Vehicles
      03-25-2012 03:00 AM #16
      Ok, finally got my moldings painted and installed. The only drawback was to position them properly. My body shop offered to install them for me but I decided to do it myself (OCD), lol. I used blue painters tape to make sure everything aligned as it should be. Overall I must say that I am very happy with the results and the fact that I went with OEM Sorry for the crappy iPhone photos, it was raining today.

Last edited by TIGSEL; 03-25-2012 at 03:07 AM.

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan 4 Motion SEL w/Prem Nav/Dynaudio Pepper Grey/Beige; 2014 EOS Komfort Candy White/Beige
      03-25-2012 12:59 PM #17
      [QUOTE=TIGSEL;76566471]Ok, finally got my moldings painted and installed. The only drawback was to position them properly. My body shop offered to install them for me but I decided to do it myself (OCD), lol. I used blue painters tape to make sure everything aligned as it should be. Overall I must say that I am very happy with the results and the fact that I went with OEM Sorry for the crappy iPhone photos, it was raining today.

Nice job - the OEM ones look sharp. I think either way (OEM or aftermarket), you can't go wrong with BSM. I wish VW of America would have spec'd out the SELs to have them come as standard or at the very least offer to supply them pre-painted in the accessories catalog. Honda now offers pre-painted BSM kits and theirs even come with cardboard templates that make installation a snap.

Vehicles
      03-25-2012 08:28 PM #18
      [QUOTE=Techvet;76569580]
      Ok, finally got my moldings painted and installed. The only drawback was to position them properly. My body shop offered to install them for me but I decided to do it myself (OCD), lol. I used blue painters tape to make sure everything aligned as it should be. Overall I must say that I am very happy with the results and the fact that I went with OEM Sorry for the crappy iPhone photos, it was raining today.

Nice job - the OEM ones look sharp. I think either way (OEM or aftermarket), you can't go wrong with BSM. I wish VW of America would have spec'd out the SELs to have them come as standard or at the very least offer to supply them pre-painted in the accessories catalog. Honda now offers pre-painted BSM kits and theirs even come with cardboard templates that make installation a snap.
      See my picture #6 in the background

Vehicles
      04-05-2012 05:20 PM #19
      Ok, after almost a month of waiting I finally received my OEM concave (Euro style) mirrors and "Individual" badges. Badges will go on this weekend. Back to mirrors, first driving impressions are; I can see heck of a lot more especially in the left mirror plus there is no more blind spots on either sides! Images in the left mirror are now a bit smaller so you get a much bigger surrounding view. It does take a little bit of getting use to but so far I like it. Now all I need is my wife's seal of approval since its her car

Last edited by TIGSEL; 04-05-2012 at 05:24 PM.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      04-05-2012 05:26 PM #20
      Nice. Where did you find the aspherical mirrors?
      CLICK HERE to vote for my LEGO Front Loader Garbage Truck project on LEGO Ideas!

Vandelay Industries - Specializing in Latex since 1992.

Vehicles
      04-05-2012 05:35 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Preppy View Post
      Nice. Where did you find the aspherical mirrors?
      http://www.oemplus.com/aspherical-mirror-set-p-726.html The way they sell them is you get left EU mirror and right UK mirror. I think it's a money well spent mode. Installation was a breeze, you simply pull the mirror out and pop the other one in. Took me less than a minute to do both.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      04-05-2012 05:43 PM #22
      http://www.oemplus.com/aspherical-mirror-set-p-726.html The way they sell them is you get left EU mirror and right UK mirror. I think it's a money well spent mode. Installation was a breeze, you simply pull the mirror out and pop the other one in. Took me less than a minute to do both.
      Totally agree.
      I had aspherical mirrors on my MK4 GTI and my MK5 GTI... would never drive without them again.

BTW, the mirror caps you're planning on buying, are they brushed/satin stainless or polished chrome?
      Last edited by Preppy; 04-05-2012 at 05:55 PM.
      CLICK HERE to vote for my LEGO Front Loader Garbage Truck project on LEGO Ideas!

Vehicles
      04-05-2012 06:19 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Preppy View Post
      Totally agree.
      I had aspherical mirrors on my MK4 GTI and my MK5 GTI... would never drive without them again.

BTW, the mirror caps you're planning on buying, are they brushed/satin stainless or polished chrome?
      Some Sites/Catalogs say they are stainless steel polished, some say chromed. I only hope they will match trim around the windows and lower door moldings. I'll update my thread with pictures ones I get them.

Vehicles
      04-16-2012 04:13 PM #24
      Some goodies arrived last week! Spent around 3 hours on Saturday installing. Clear Bra was the most time consuming accessory to install considering that I was sent a pre-face lift version, not sure if there is any difference . I had to stretch and pull to make it fit, it was a total PITA. luckily seller agreed to send me a replacement at no charge so I may have to redo it next weekend. The door sills were ordered from Germany and while I do not believe they are OEM (seller stated they are) are quality made and fitted right in. They look great and match window trim and lower door moldings perfectly (very happy). What I wasn't thrilled about is the chrome rear hatch strip which to my surprise (not in good way) is made out of flexible shiny plastic. I was really hoping it would be aluminum or a stainless steel considering the price tag of $86.00, I feel kind of ripped off Well, regardless it looks good, not as genuine as it would be if it was metal but it'll do.

Here are some pisc:

Last edited by TIGSEL; 04-16-2012 at 04:28 PM.
      My build thread:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...L-build-thread

Mods: X-Pel Headlight Shields, 3M Clear Bra, OEM Door Moldings, OEM Aspherical Mirrors, R-line Door Sills, Rear Hatch Chrome Molding, and many more to come soon...

04-16-2012 04:25 PM #25
      i really like the rear hatch trim! looks great.

it looks very much like the trim along the doors so they must be the same material perhaps?

anyway, i want this piece as it caught my eye from one of the tiguan commercials on youtube floating around about a man and 30 minutes to do some errands before his wife wakes up while he bakes muffins! that tiggy had the rear hatch trim piece you just added.

i wonder if it would look just as great on a night blue tiguan
      93 vw wolfsburg fox 4-door | 00 honda crv lx | 03 vw jetta wagon gls 2.0 | 04 vw jetta wagon gls tdi-pd | 12 vw tiguan se+panoroof+nav

Vehicles
      04-16-2012 04:35 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by garethusa View Post
      i really like the rear hatch trim! looks great.

it looks very much like the trim along the doors so they must be the same material perhaps?

anyway, i want this piece as it caught my eye from one of the tiguan commercials on youtube floating around about a man and 30 minutes to do some errands before his wife wakes up while he bakes muffins! that tiggy had the rear hatch trim piece you just added.

i wonder if it would look just as great on a night blue tiguan
      Not even close, it doesn't even match the chromed emblems. The door moldings are more of a brushed aluminum look vs rear hatch has a chrome like look. I am not sure why VW did not uniform the look of the accessories. I mean the door moldings and window trim are brushed, mirror caps (accessory) are chromed, read hatch is a holographic plastic chrome I think they should've done all in chrome or brushed IMHO.
      Last edited by TIGSEL; 04-16-2012 at 04:38 PM.
      My build thread:

Mods: X-Pel Headlight Shields, 3M Clear Bra, OEM Door Moldings, OEM Aspherical Mirrors, R-line Door Sills, Rear Hatch Chrome Molding, and many more to come soon...

Vehicles
      2014/VW/GLI 30 Edition W/Nav , 2012 VW Tiguan SEL
      04-18-2012 09:09 PM #27
      Some goodies arrived last week! Spent around 3 hours on Saturday installing. Clear Bra was the most time consuming accessory to install considering that I was sent a pre-face lift version, not sure if there is any difference . I had to stretch and pull to make it fit, it was a total PITA. luckily seller agreed to send me a replacement at no charge so I may have to redo it next weekend. The door sills were ordered from Germany and while I do not believe they are OEM (seller stated they are) are quality made and fitted right in. They look great and match window trim and lower door moldings perfectly (very happy). What I wasn't thrilled about is the chrome rear hatch strip which to my surprise (not in good way) is made out of flexible shiny plastic. I was really hoping it would be aluminum or a stainless steel considering the price tag of $86.00, I feel kind of ripped off Well, regardless it looks good, not as genuine as it would be if it was metal but it'll do.

Here are some pisc:

Nice how much did the door R trim cost hand where did you find them. ..?

I'm actually waiting to get my sel next month but I'm so freaking excited that I can't wait

Vehicles
      04-18-2012 10:09 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by JettaBoy25 View Post
      Nice how much did the door R trim cost hand where did you find them. ..?

I'm actually waiting to get my sel next month but I'm so freaking excited that I can't wait
      Ordered them from Germany. They were not cheap either, I paid $140.00 including shipping but the quality is awesome and they fit right in.

Here is the link: http://www.tuning-art.com/R-Line-sil...4012fee_x2.htm
      My build thread:

29. 04-19-2012 03:17 AM #29
      Thanks for posting the photos. I recently had to have a door ding removed by a paintless dent repair person and wished I'd known about the side moldings before that happened. After seeing them installed on your Tiguan I went ahead and ordered an aftermarket set from here: http://spoilerandwingking.com/detail...TOKEN=12249399

I'll probably pay a body shop a few buck to put them on as I suck at stuff like this but am hoping that they'll help keep my doors and side panels from getting any more divots put into them!

...am also drooling on those sill panels and tail chrome accessory piece. Wished the sills weren't as much as they are.. Might have to see if someone in the US sells something similar.

Vehicles
      04-19-2012 03:21 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by ronin47 View Post
      Thanks for posting the photos. I recently had to have a door ding removed by a paintless dent repair person and wished I'd known about the side moldings before that happened. After seeing them installed on your Tiguan I went ahead and ordered an aftermarket set from here: http://spoilerandwingking.com/detail...TOKEN=12249399

I'll probably pay a body shop a few buck to put them on as I suck at stuff like this but am hoping that they'll help keep my doors and side panels from getting any more divots put into them!

...am also drooling on those sill panels and tail chrome accessory piece. Wished the sills weren't as much as they are.. Might have to see if someone in the US sells something similar.
      I thought about getting an aftermarket moldings but decided on OEM's for a few reasons; looks, quality of fitment, more coverage and the fact that these were designed specifically for that car and match the design of the bottom door moldings. I know I paid almost double but ...

As far as the door sills you can find a boat load on Ebay (Chinese made) not the R-line though. I really wanted something unique, OEM and EU made. I must say that I am very happy with what I got in all aspects. The way I look at it we'll have this car for at least 7-10 years so might as well get the quality stuff to last a while
      My build thread:

31. 04-19-2012 04:50 PM #31
      I thought about getting an aftermarket moldings but decided on OEM's for a few reasons; looks, quality of fitment, more coverage and the fact that these were designed specifically for that car and match the design of the bottom door moldings. I know I paid almost double but ...

As far as the door sills you can find a boat load on Ebay (Chinese made) not the R-line though. I really wanted something unique, OEM and EU made. I must say that I am very happy with what I got in all aspects. The way I look at it we'll have this car for at least 7-10 years so might as well get the quality stuff to last a while
      after looking through what is available on Ebay I agree - the Rline door sill protectors look much nicer and are undoubtedly better quality.

I'll give in to the voice in my head saying "buy cheap, buy twice" shortly and spend the money to import a set I imagine...

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Vehicles
      04-30-2012 09:05 PM #32
      My new addition to the list of my mods. Before and after pics:

Unfortunately not an OEM piece, fortunately I like this piece much more than the OEM piece. I originally bought an OEM piece but returned it due to a mediocre look, function and questionable installation hardware. This one looks and protects much better not to mention costs half the price.
      My build thread:

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan 4 Motion SEL w/Prem Nav/Dynaudio Pepper Grey/Beige; 2014 EOS Komfort Candy White/Beige
      04-30-2012 09:28 PM #33
      Where did you source the deflector and how hard was it to install?

Vehicles
      2014/VW/GLI 30 Edition W/Nav , 2012 VW Tiguan SEL
      05-01-2012 01:55 PM #34
      nice got my Tig This Weekend White... SEL 4 montion..

Posting Pics soon...

35. Member
      Vehicles
      05-01-2012 02:08 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by JettaBoy25 View Post
      nice got my Tig This Weekend White... SEL 4 montion..

Posting Pics soon...
      Post here:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-Yourself-here!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast