Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: FS: 1979 Audi Fox Wagon Hot Rod

02-29-2012 11:41 PM #1
      Before Window Tinting and centercaps:

Fun, unique, awesome daily, functional (it is a wagon!) car. Gets looks and thumbs up everywhere we go in it - a lot more than I every thought it would. I have spent tons of time making this into the car I wanted, but now I am buying a house, and this car is the one that has to go. It will be missed.

I have upgraded almost everything possible with an eye towards making a great performing system of parts. Brakes, Suspension, engine, interior, lighting, charging, etc etc etc. It has more new parts than most cars 5-10 years old! I also will include thousands of dollars in extra parts for my asking price.

The suspension is a very firm setup, and handles surprisingly well, cornering flat and being very responsive and neutral at the limit. Front Springs are B3 Passat 16V, cut. Front strut inserts are A1 chassis Bilstein Sports, with a metal spacer to fit perfectly. Rear springs are BMW E24 (633 CSi), cut. Rear shocks are KYB Gas-a-Just. New ball joints were installed when the suspension was done. Strut bearings are the heavy duty version (metal tops) and were in great shape, just regreased the bearings. The Corrado 15x6" steelies fit perfectly and look just right.

Brakes have been upgraded to 10.1" front rotors and larger Girling 54 calipers. Everything bolts on like original, there is no cobbling or modifiying the brake system to fit. Great upgrade for improved braking. With the larger rear drums on the wagons, this makes for a great braking car.

The engine has apparently been rebuilt in the past, but I don't have paperwork on it. Suffice it to say, it runs very strong for a 1.6, doesn't burn oil, and never has a problem starting or running. I would call it eager and spritely. It has a large throttle body on the intake manifold, the airbox has been opened slightly, and it has the dual outlet exhaust manifold, with the long primary dual downpipe. The exhaust is a custom-built, 2.5" mandrel bent unit, with a perforated core resonator, and a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler. It sounds great - very European Sportscar type of burble, without being overly loud or obnoxious.

The car was originally an automatic. I swapped in a close-ratio Audi 4000 5 speed, with a lower ring and pinion and perfectly spaced gears. This was a great deal of work, as the tunnel had to be modified, a custom mount was made (using factory parts and an additional bracket for more drivetrain stability). The shifter was improved by replacing a rubber bushed rod with one that has rod-end bearings and made into a short shift setup. This is the best shifting water-cooled VW/Audi I have ever owned. I have owned around 30-35 early water cooled VWs and Audis. The gear ratios in the 2P transmission end up being (overall) VERY close to the early Rabbit GTI ratios - if you have ever driven one of them, you know how much fun they can be. When the transmission swap was performed, I installed a lightened and balanced flywheel (engine revs much more easily and quickly now), and a new Audi 4000 clutch (slightly larger diameter). New axle shafts with new CVs were also installed at the same time. The front wheel bearings had been replaced by the PO, and were German units. I had to fabricate custom pedals to work, and they have been great - I over built them, and made them to use the factory throttle cable (new) and clutch cable (new). New Bosch Starter, with relay kit - spins very quickly, even in zero degree weather!

When the trans swap was done, I also installed HD OEM engine mounts and a new battery.

The interior is great, but needs a little finishing. I have a VERY rare Audi Fox GTI large tachometer cluster. The odometer didn't work when I got it, so I replaced the odo gear with an improved plastic one. Once in a while in the hot weather, the odo still will not work - I suspect a drop of superglue is needed on the gear to secure it to the shaft. The front seats are Recaro LS, period correct from a late 1970s Porsche. The seat mounts are custom fabricated from stock Audi Fox bases, using the stock seat tracks, and keeping the drivers side height adjustment. They have some patina and wear, but even in this condition, are worth $750-1000 easy. I also have the stock seats.

The exterior is very good, but not perfect. There are some spots on the roof where the paint has worn through and has some slight surface rust, there is some rust in the rear hatch (because of the wind deflector a PO installed) but I have a good spare. The paint isn't perfect, but it does buff out pretty well, and the car has no structural or body rust - feel free to ask for any photos you would like.

The headlights are H4s and H1s, the H4s have integral City Lights. Lighting is worlds better than with the sealed beams. Good windsheild with no cracks. Custom bronze-tinted windows.

The Fox is an absolute riot to drive. It loves the twisties in the canyons, and while not a powerhouse with the 1.6, it surprises a lot of faster cars with its brakes and handling. With a simple 8V swap to a 1.8 or a 2.0 it would be even more fun. I planned on installing the Corrado 1.8 with a turbo setup to REALLY make some fun. As is, it still gets 25-35 mpg on cheap gas, and you can fold down the rear seat and haul all kinds of stuff, or 5 people and a bunch of stuff. I know I will miss this car a lot, but I am buying a house and already have too many projects.

New Parts Included only at asking price:

Braided Brake Hoses

New brake shoes

New ATE Master Cylinder

New Carpet Kit (with excess for cargo area and door bottoms)

Polyurethane bushings for front control arms and rear lateral link

14" Steel wheels with Blizzak Snow Tires

Stock front sway bar (20mm)

Quantum Syncro front Sway bar (25mm) needs minor adapting to fit

Land Rover rear sway bar - easy to fit

Extra rear hatch

Stock front seats

Corrado G60 long engine

Modified 2 barrel carb intake manifold (throttle body replaces carb)

Turbo exhaust manifold

Used, rebuilt T3 turbo

Boost-referencing CIS Control pressure regulator

Extra oil pan

Pair, new tie rod ends

Extra cargo area panels in matching brown plastic

Fuel tank & mounting straps

Trailer hitch from Dasher Wagon

Water-methanol injection system (progressive, references boost)

More I am forgetting

I am asking $3500, which I feel is very fair. Less than that and the Recaros and extra parts are out of the equation.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      82 Quantum Coupe, 86 Quantum Syncro Wagon, 87 Scirocco 16V
      03-01-2012 12:34 PM #2
      What price are you thinking if you kept the following parts from your list?

Braided Brake Hoses

New brake shoes

New ATE Master Cylinder

New Carpet Kit (with excess for cargo area and door bottoms)

14" Steel wheels with Blizzak Snow Tires

Stock front sway bar (20mm)

Quantum Syncro front Sway bar (25mm) needs minor adapting to fit

Land Rover rear sway bar - easy to fit

Extra rear hatch

Stock front seats

Corrado G60 long engine

Modified 2 barrel carb intake manifold (throttle body replaces carb)

Turbo exhaust manifold

Used, rebuilt T3 turbo

Boost-referencing CIS Control pressure regulator

Extra oil pan

Pair, new tie rod ends

Fuel tank & mounting straps

Trailer hitch from Dasher Wagon

Water-methanol injection system (progressive, references boost)
      grimwater

Very small rocks!

03-01-2012 10:00 PM #3
      I'd take $3000. Without the Recaros and Corrado steelies or Blizzaks, I'd take $2500. Much better deal with everything.

4. 03-09-2012 10:20 AM #4
      Hey greggearhead

What is the status of your Audi? If sold, congrats! If not, I would be interested in it, is there anyway to contact you? email? phone? so we can talk

Grant

03-09-2012 10:26 PM #5
      Still available - really haven't tried hard yet, with the house work and all.

I'll PM you my contact info.

Thanks

03-10-2012 01:28 PM #6
      Sold pending payment.

7. 05-15-2012 02:12 PM #7
      hey greg, great looking wagon. i just got a 1978, same color and everything. where were you able to source any parts? these car are apparently pretty rare. i have found a lot of mechanical parts that interchange with the vw stuff, but you said you had found a carpet set. wondered if it was a universal or custom? also do you still have the original seats? my drivers side is in kinda rough shape. love the mods you have done, have been considering a five speed but dont know what would match up with it. i need to work the bugs out of the injector system first. also, do have a line on a windshield? thanks man, rusty

8. Member
      Vehicles
      06 vw gti mk5 1990 vw corrado 1999 volvo s70 1988 jetta coupe
      07-31-2012 06:55 PM #8
      Would u part out those seat and if yess how much shipped to 07208