Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: steering wheel restoration help - 1975/76 scirocco wheel

1. 03-01-2012 07:47 AM #1
      Just wanted to see if anyone could give me any tips on how to bring back to life a 75-76 scirocco steering wheel I have on my ghia.

This is the wheel (pic is dark but the wheel is a light grey, horn black):

I would like to get it close to being back to this color and texture (minus the wear) if at all possible:

The plastic horn button easily comes back to life with back to black. But the actual rubber on the wheel is a different story. Its worn out and faded grey but not worn to the point where its falling apart, just smooth from use.

Should keep trying leather conditioner to bring back the moisture to the rubber? I first tried back to black and armorall and it pretty much drinks it. I tried a little leather conditioner and it feels a little softer but really hasnt done much. I would like to get it black again if i can like the second pic.

Also, is there a black dye that I could use on it? Someone mentioned that as an option.

Thanks in advance for any help!

03-01-2012 05:21 PM #2
      I couldn't find a restoration product that bought back any grip on the wheel. The correct leather cover solved the problem, actually made it better than stock.

3. 03-01-2012 07:55 PM #3
      Thanks for the tip, that might be my final solution. Did you get that leather cover at a regular autoparts store?

Vehicles
      86 Scirocco
      03-01-2012 08:04 PM #4
      You can try Meguiars Hot shine tire spray. It works wonders for our S2 foam wing spoilers but It might be a little greasy for a steering wheel application though.

5. 03-01-2012 09:28 PM #5
      Thanks i might try that too. Maybe after it soaks it up a bit it would turn more black but not be slippery.

Vehicles
      1987 16v scirocco
      03-02-2012 08:31 AM #6
      You can try getting some vinyl dye spray paint, or you can get a upholstery shop to progestin sly wrap it in leather but that could run closer to 200-300$.
      All the products you are using will temporarily mask the issue, but once it has faded you will not be able to get it back, plus those products will always make tge wheel slick and somewhat dangerous to drive.

Misspelled by my iPhone using Slaptalk!
      Old sciroccos never die....they just go faster....sometimes.......
      www.ziggituning.com

My Project...

7. 03-02-2012 08:55 AM #7
      Vinyl Dye spray paint, hmmm sounds interesting. Maybe i will try that. So I guess its not like plastic where you can bring the black back with certain products. I guess its either the dye or a cover.

Is the wheel rubber? Or is it vinyl?

This might be what your talking about: http://www.duplicolor.com/products/vinylFabricCoating/
      Last edited by toph929; 03-02-2012 at 09:00 AM.

03-02-2012 09:47 AM #8
      Did you get that leather cover at a regular autoparts store?
      It's a Wheelskin leather cover (Ebay) that is sized for wheel diameter and thickness. More expensive than the ones from the local auto parts store, but is very good quality and fits perfectly.

9. 03-02-2012 12:02 PM #9
      Is the steering wheel vinyl? Or is it rubber? I might give that vinyl fabric dye paint a shot if the wheel is vinyl. I will try the back in a small spot to see how it works.

10. Junior Member
      03-02-2012 02:10 PM #10
      That wheelskin looks great. I've heard of the name just never really saw one instaled on an old VW wheel.

Vehicles
      1987 16v scirocco
      03-02-2012 11:11 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by toph929 View Post
      Vinyl Dye spray paint, hmmm sounds interesting. Maybe i will try that. So I guess its not like plastic where you can bring the black back with certain products. I guess its either the dye or a cover.

Is the wheel rubber? Or is it vinyl?

This might be what your talking about: http://www.duplicolor.com/products/vinylFabricCoating/
      Ya that is the type of thing I meant. One important thing after you have flooded it with all sorts of proxy Taejon be to degrease it very well before you try and paint it.

www.ziggituning.com

My Project...

12. 03-03-2012 01:10 AM #12
      What should I use to de-grease it?

Vehicles
      1987 16v scirocco
      03-03-2012 10:24 AM #13
      Most auto body supply shops will have either car or vinyl prep or some other degreaser, ideally you will want to clean it a few times to be sure you have removed as much of the silicone contaminants as possible.
      You can test paint a spot to be sure, if it is not adequately degreaser tge paint will react, the result can be similar to how oil looks when you mix it with water, it tend to scatter etc, in bodywork it is refered to as "fish eyes".
      No biggie, just clean it well.

www.ziggituning.com

My Project...

14. 03-03-2012 12:08 PM #14
      Awesome, im going to pick some up and give it a shot. I will try the bottom spoke as a test spot and see how it works out. Thanks Ziggi!

Vehicles
      81 Caddy 1.9TD AAZ, 84 rabbit diesel, 95 jeep cherokee.
      04-26-2012 03:53 PM #15
      How did this turn out for you?

I'm thinking about doing mine.. Sad thing is mine is mint, not the above wheel, this is mine:

is this not real leather? therefore dying it would be dumb.. I want to make it red, to match my interior, maybe Tan.

Thoughts?
      I'm on here way too much

Vehicles
      1980 VW Scirocco
      04-26-2012 04:10 PM #16
      ^^ Please don't. These wheels are getting harder to find, especially in nice shape. If you want to alter the color, I'd just go with a cover. Honestly if it's mint, sell it and use the funds to buy a cheaper one in not as nice shape and put a cover over it. It'd be a shame to put a cover over such a nice wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by first_rocc View Post
      It's a Wheelskin leather cover (Ebay) that is sized for wheel diameter and thickness. More expensive than the ones from the local auto parts store, but is very good quality and fits perfectly.
      I can vouch for the quality of Wheelskin leather covers. I had one on my GTI. Really nice stuff!

Vehicles
      81 Caddy 1.9TD AAZ, 84 rabbit diesel, 95 jeep cherokee.
      04-26-2012 04:40 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Nataku View Post
      ^^ Please don't. These wheels are getting harder to find, especially in nice shape. If you want to alter the color, I'd just go with a cover. Honestly if it's mint, sell it and use the funds to buy a cheaper one in not as nice shape and put a cover over it. It'd be a shame to put a cover over such a nice wheel.

I can vouch for the quality of Wheelskin leather covers. I had one on my GTI. Really nice stuff!

Tried to sell it for a while now.. Those wheel skin covers are nice but seeing as I want to make it red, it will show some of the black still..
      I'm on here way too much

18. 04-26-2012 07:42 PM #18
      Hey sorry i didnt report back about my project - it was a great success.

I bought the dupli color black vinyl spray and shot 2 cans, tons of coats, and it literally came out like a new wheel. Just to warn you, at first if you have an old worn wheel like mine was (it doesnt look bad in the post in the pic but its worn out thin and grey) it will drink the first bunch of coats. I did a few and i was thinking of just giving up, but instead coat after coat it starting taking and soon it was like i just got a new wheel. The wheel now has a nice shine and a nice grip, which it did not have before.

I first used a can and a half or 2 cans of gloss black. Looks awesome but it was a little too glossy for me. So did a light sand and then did a half can of regular black (kinda flat). Not as shiny but nice. But i might actually go back to gloss since i just picked up a new top dash pad thats shiny. Regardless, every coat i spray on makes the wheel thicker with layers and makes it look great. Between going from gloss to reg black i did a light sand and then spray and it took out some of the bumps and drips, so essentially if your real anal then spray a half can, lightly sand it, spray another half can, so on so on. When i sprayed it i only waited prob 4-5 min between so it stayed tacky.

So after my story - yes it was a great success. I will take pics next time i get to my car (its at the shop). Im so happy i did it because i was kinda depressed that i spend a good amount on the wheel thinking since its rare i should be lucky to get one, then one a few months later came up on ebay for less $$ and in better shape. Now that i repainted it and it looks new im happy again lol.

Vehicles
      1980 VW Scirocco
      04-26-2012 07:45 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by jagerauto View Post
      Tried to sell it for a while now..
      Try eBay. I got $140-something for a spare I had a few years ago.