Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Availability of 2012 JSW

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Candy White JSW DSG TDI. 2012 Candy White CC Sport DSG (my wife's car)
      03-01-2012 01:10 PM #1
      I currently own a 2012 CC (wife's car) but I have been thinking about replacing my Nissan Frontier with a JSW in a couple of months. When I check the inventory of VW dealers in the Atlanta area there are very very few available. Is this normal or is it a winding down of the JSW either to be eliminated or replaced?

03-01-2012 02:13 PM #2
      I think they are somewhat limited every where really, just not that common of a car. I have a 2.5 SE and I have seen one other JSW in my area, a TDI.

Between two VW dealers here, they have 7 JSWs. One dealer has 5 of them, and they are the biggest import dealer in the area (Dorschel in Rochester, NY). And that is all models combined (TDI, 2.5). If you want something more specific, the inventory narrows even more.

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Candy White JSW DSG TDI. 2012 Candy White CC Sport DSG (my wife's car)
      03-01-2012 03:43 PM #3
      Thanks for the information. It will be a while before it is time to buy but I am primarily interested in the TDI with DSG.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta sportwagon TDi/ 1992 lexus SC300
      03-01-2012 03:44 PM #4
      good luck finding one, I had to special order mine.

5. 03-01-2012 04:04 PM #5
      When we bought ours 3 months ago the availability was pretty good. I was at the dealer yesterday and they had one and the sales manager said that the availability was getting slim all around.

They had one black TDI DSG no roof.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Passat TDI SEL/2012 JSW TDI
      03-01-2012 08:20 PM #6
      We had to go from SA to Houston to get ours. We were looking for a TDI/DSG with roof, Nav was take it or leave it. Not one in SA, Austin or Corpus like that. 6mt on 16" were common though.

Vehicles
      '07 RS GTI 6spd
      03-10-2012 08:23 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by SA-Passat View Post
      We had to go from SA to Houston to get ours. We were looking for a TDI/DSG with roof, Nav was take it or leave it. Not one in SA, Austin or Corpus like that. 6mt on 16" were common though.
      how long ago was that? There are 3 or 4 at Maund in Austin, all DSG, Pana, and now a white one with Nav. Hewlett in R.Rock has at least one (RS w/Pana + Nav). The thing thats hard to find is 6MT or Nav...but there are at least half a dozen DSG/Pana/Nav TDI JSW FS in TX ATM

...until I buy one in the next few weeks!

Vehicles
      2012 VW Passat TDI SEL/2012 JSW TDI
      03-11-2012 10:12 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by oscillat0r View Post
      how long ago was that? There are 3 or 4 at Maund in Austin, all DSG, Pana, and now a white one with Nav. Hewlett in R.Rock has at least one (RS w/Pana + Nav). The thing thats hard to find is 6MT or Nav...but there are at least half a dozen DSG/Pana/Nav TDI JSW FS in TX ATM

...until I buy one in the next few weeks!
      It was Early Feb. and Maund didn't have a TDI/DSG with roof that I can recall. Could have been a red one up there because the wife didn't want red. I wish we could have gone to Maud they're closer and I have a good impression of them from when I was shopping for my Passat.

Good luck with your purchase and I hope you have all of that selection to choose from when you go to pull the trigger.

Vehicles
      04 R bought new traded for '12 JSW TDI
      03-14-2012 12:22 AM #9
      Bought one today. Platinum JSW, DSG, TDI, sunroof. Dealer said there were not many around. In fact, he said there were three "in our area". They will be getting it from another dealer. My dealer did not have any on the lot with a sun roof. He said that a few months back they had a dozen of them. Btw, they sold it to me for the invoice price, about $1200 off sticker.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 manual TDI JSW; 1997 VW Passat sedan VR6 5-speed;
      03-14-2012 07:19 PM #10
      Call Tucci at Gunther in Buford - he's on these forums. The Gunther website shows several TDI DSGs in stock - not sure how accurate the site is though. I wanted a bare-bones manual and he ultimately found one for me, still on the boat. For all I know that order I put into the system is still waiting to be picked up by VW.
      2012 base manual TDI JSW
      Retired: 1997 VR6 Passat 5-speed -- 331k+ miles

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 JSW TDI, 1969 Plymouth Barracuda, 1964 Buick Riviera,
      04-16-2012 06:03 PM #11
      Rather than start a new thread I will just post this here:

There will be a 2013 Sportwagen.

http://askavwsalesguy.com/blog/2012/...as-a-2013.html

Edit: This link also mentions the possibility of a cc wagon.

What the hell would THAT look like?
      Last edited by VAG0; 04-16-2012 at 06:06 PM.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      Various Variants
      04-18-2012 08:18 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by VAG0 View Post
      This link also mentions the possibility of a cc wagon.

One of those Dodge Magnum things in 2/3 scale?

Vehicles
      2013 GSW TDI
      04-18-2012 10:52 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by VAG0 View Post
      Rather than start a new thread I will just post this here:

There will be a 2013 Sportwagen.

http://askavwsalesguy.com/blog/2012/...as-a-2013.html

Edit: This link also mentions the possibility of a cc wagon.

this is correct i ordered my jsw (gsw here) a few weeks ago and will arrive in sept.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 passat 6m tungsten/cornsilk 1998 passat wagon 1.8L 5MT Colorado Red Pearl
      04-21-2012 10:49 AM #14
      Both Edmunds.com and The Truth About Cars recently posted an article about hot cars, i.e. those that sell fast. The concept of "sell fast" was described as the number of days from arrival at the dealer to sale. The JSW was a quick sell averaging just 16 days, that put it in the top 10 IIRC.

Fast selling is probably at least partly responsible for low numbers on dealer lots.

What I find interesting is that early on in the model year you could find gassers and S trim gassers with manual transmission. Now they are about as common as hen's teeth.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      Various Variants
      04-22-2012 08:29 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by 1998redwagon View Post
      Both Edmunds.com and The Truth About Cars recently posted an article about hot cars, i.e. those that sell fast. The concept of "sell fast" was described as the number of days from arrival at the dealer to sale. The JSW was a quick sell averaging just 16 days, that put it in the top 10 IIRC.

Fast selling is probably at least partly responsible for low numbers on dealer lots.

What I find interesting is that early on in the model year you could find gassers and S trim gassers with manual transmission. Now they are about as common as hen's teeth.
      And slow selling is why those 2.5 (including the S trim) gassers never got replenished when sold. Manual transmission is a hard sell to non-enthusiast drivers. I am the second or third owner (hard to tell because the car had six months of registration initially and then was resold by the original dealer. Could've been a demo, could have been sold). That car is a 2.0T 6 speed manual and it has spent over a year of its existence waiting for a buyer.

16. Member
      04-22-2012 02:41 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Outrider6 View Post
      And slow selling is why those 2.5 (including the S trim) gassers never got replenished when sold. Manual transmission is a hard sell to non-enthusiast drivers. I am the second or third owner (hard to tell because the car had six months of registration initially and then was resold by the original dealer. Could've been a demo, could have been sold). That car is a 2.0T 6 speed manual and it has spent over a year of its existence waiting for a buyer.
      Your car is a completely different story; the 2.0t (SEL model) started at just under $27,000 for a base 6 speed car. Most had the panoramic roof and many had automatic transmission. Some dealers loaded them with port-installed accessories as well. When I picked mine up (a manual with sunroof only) there were auto/sunroof/nav cars, some with body kits and other add-ons that ranged from $31-33k.

With that, they priced themselves out of what people were willing to pay for a "Jetta".

The S and SE sold well during '09-10, when SEs were pretty common and the S still had the sunroof option. Because TDIs were in short supply for so long the factory reps (who now do most of the inventory selections for dealers) send TDIs to the dealers, and they sit on lots just as the gas cars did a couple of years ago. I think VW would sell more JSWs now that the diesel cars have deep inventory if they re-introduced the sunroof in the S and manuals in the SE because a lot of "sporty" drivers want a stick but won't buy a car without a sunroof. If you don't want or can't afford a TDI, the alternatives are the S which you can't get a roof in for just under $21k, or an SE starting at almost $25k without a roof (and to get one, you have to add a $1700 package, bringing the cost into the TDI realm).

There are 8 VW dealers within 30 minutes of my house, and most of them suddenly got an S manual a couple of weeks ago. None were good colors for me so I made a deposit on a '13. The cars that came in didn't last 10 days on the lot. while there are still dozens of the same TDI wagons available.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      Various Variants
      04-22-2012 06:17 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by brian81 View Post
      Your car is a completely different story; the 2.0t (SEL model) started at just under $27,000 for a base 6 speed car. Most had the panoramic roof and many had automatic transmission. Some dealers loaded them with port-installed accessories as well. When I picked mine up (a manual with sunroof only) there were auto/sunroof/nav cars, some with body kits and other add-ons that ranged from $31-33k.

With that, they priced themselves out of what people were willing to pay for a "Jetta".

The S and SE sold well during '09-10, when SEs were pretty common and the S still had the sunroof option. Because TDIs were in short supply for so long the factory reps (who now do most of the inventory selections for dealers) send TDIs to the dealers, and they sit on lots just as the gas cars did a couple of years ago. I think VW would sell more JSWs now that the diesel cars have deep inventory if they re-introduced the sunroof in the S and manuals in the SE because a lot of "sporty" drivers want a stick but won't buy a car without a sunroof. If you don't want or can't afford a TDI, the alternatives are the S which you can't get a roof in for just under $21k, or an SE starting at almost $25k without a roof (and to get one, you have to add a $1700 package, bringing the cost into the TDI realm).

There are 8 VW dealers within 30 minutes of my house, and most of them suddenly got an S manual a couple of weeks ago. None were good colors for me so I made a deposit on a '13. The cars that came in didn't last 10 days on the lot. while there are still dozens of the same TDI wagons available.
      Plenty of sense in what you're saying.

I don't doubt that the high asking price was a big reason that so few '09 2.0t SELs were sold. Motor Trend's review roundly criticized VW for that pricing. (It's worth looking at that review if just for the photos of the JSW with a Thunderbunny front end.) Mine probably sat a while the first time because of the sticker price, and maybe that's why it sat the second time. The third time it was for sale it was priced like a 2.5 and it still took two months to sell. (Candy White, pretty clean, 49K miles). My guess is the issue was the manual transmission coupled with the aversion many Americans seem to have for wagons.

Sounds like where you're at wagons are better appreciated than they are elsewhere. Could be a regional thing. I wonder if they sell more wagons in New England than they do in the Midwest.

I think your observations of pricing/packaging/options are on point. Hard to argue against having more choice about which options you buy. I sure wouldn't argue against it.
      Last edited by Outrider6; 04-22-2012 at 08:56 PM.

18. Member
      04-23-2012 11:29 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Outrider6 View Post
      Plenty of sense in what you're saying.

I don't doubt that the high asking price was a big reason that so few '09 2.0t SELs were sold. Motor Trend's review roundly criticized VW for that pricing. (It's worth looking at that review if just for the photos of the JSW with a Thunderbunny front end.) Mine probably sat a while the first time because of the sticker price, and maybe that's why it sat the second time. The third time it was for sale it was priced like a 2.5 and it still took two months to sell. (Candy White, pretty clean, 49K miles). My guess is the issue was the manual transmission coupled with the aversion many Americans seem to have for wagons.

Sounds like where you're at wagons are better appreciated than they are elsewhere. Could be a regional thing. I wonder if they sell more wagons in New England than they do in the Midwest.

I think your observations of pricing/packaging/options are on point. Hard to argue against having more choice about which options you buy. I sure wouldn't argue against it.
      It sounds like you got a great car at a decent price. Even if you had to rejuvinate the leather, it's so much nicer than the leatherette. I cringe at the thought of a CC or Tiguan at $30k++ with leatherette - perhaps okay if you've got dogs or several small children.

Since VW is showing big volume gains, I'm hoping they'll bring back the Wolfsburg Jetta concept that was successful in the MKV sedan -- in the JSW. For not much (I think it was less than $2000) you got the 2.0T, 6M transmisssion, sunroof, blacked out exterior trim, 17" wheels/tires, and a leather covered wheel/shift/handbrake. They easily sold, and if added to the JSW S equipment, would be a great value and unique in the marketplace.

Vehicles
      '11 Routan, '10 JSW
      04-23-2012 01:53 PM #19
      It sounds like you got a great car at a decent price. Even if you had to rejuvinate the leather, it's so much nicer than the leatherette. I cringe at the thought of a CC or Tiguan at $30k++ with leatherette - perhaps okay if you've got dogs or several small children.

Since VW is showing big volume gains, I'm hoping they'll bring back the Wolfsburg Jetta concept that was successful in the MKV sedan -- in the JSW. For not much (I think it was less than $2000) you got the 2.0T, 6M transmisssion, sunroof, blacked out exterior trim, 17" wheels/tires, and a leather covered wheel/shift/handbrake. They easily sold, and if added to the JSW S equipment, would be a great value and unique in the marketplace.
      That I would be all about, I'm fine with the cloth in my JSW, but I'd drool over a 2.0T with 6 speed manual! My JSW S 5 speed, has been a great car so far, it was for my wife originally, but proved too small for family road trips. So I got her a van and inherited the JSW. It was difficult getting a manual S though, there was only 1 on the ground in all of Chicagoland and 1 on the way when we got ours. I'm sure they don't sell very many of them either. It is a great value for the money.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      Various Variants
      04-24-2012 06:28 AM #20
      It sounds like you got a great car at a decent price. Even if you had to rejuvenate the leather, it's so much nicer than the leatherette. I cringe at the thought of a CC or Tiguan at $30k++ with leatherette - perhaps okay if you've got dogs or several small children.

Since VW is showing big volume gains, I'm hoping they'll bring back the Wolfsburg Jetta concept that was successful in the MKV sedan -- in the JSW. For not much (I think it was less than $2000) you got the 2.0T, 6M transmission, sunroof, blacked out exterior trim, 17" wheels/tires, and a leather covered wheel/shift/handbrake. They easily sold, and if added to the JSW S equipment, would be a great value and unique in the marketplace.
      That combination would be just about perfect. I love the 2.0t engine and the 6MT. You just don't feel like you're driving a wagon with that powertrain. I'm sure some would want leather seats as an option, but that shouldn't be a deal breaker. VW charges a lot for the panoramic roof, but they do make a "normal" roof for other markets on the same production line that could be cheaper. Who knows? But your pricing and feature set selection would make for a popular choice.
      Last edited by Outrider6; 04-24-2012 at 10:30 PM.

Vehicles
      2013 GSW TDI
      04-24-2012 10:12 PM #21
      i order a TDI sportline DSG black with pano

22. Junior Member
      05-06-2012 03:04 PM #22
      Hey everyone, new to VWs here and we are getting ready to purchase a new JSW, from what I read in this thread and the link about 2013 it seems that there are no changes to the TDI version for the 2013MY, so essentially there no reason to wait another 4-5 months for it? I am getting offers on a 2012 JSW TDI w/SR + Navi for $500 under invoice.
      "It stops like a duck on a frozen pond"

23. 05-06-2012 03:22 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Willy723 View Post
      Hey everyone, new to VWs here and we are getting ready to purchase a new JSW, from what I read in this thread and the link about 2013 it seems that there are no changes to the TDI version for the 2013MY, so essentially there no reason to wait another 4-5 months for it? I am getting offers on a 2012 JSW TDI w/SR + Navi for $500 under invoice.
      There is no money on these cars so basically the dealer is making a total of $4-500 total at $500 under. That is a real good price.