Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: H&R Clubsport Coilovers installed (TT-RS)

Vehicles
      2011 Honda CR-V
      03-01-2012 02:17 PM #1
      As some of you may know, I ordered a set of H&R Clubsport coilovers for my TT-RS.
      Originally, I was looking into getting a set of KW Clubsport but decided to backout simply because I was disappointed with the 1.4" drop in the front and 1.2" drop in the rear.
      This is a custom H&R kit ordered with shortened struts; capable on dropping the car up to 100mm.
      I also ordered the mag-ride delete modules from KW.
      Installation was a bjtch! Took a long @$$ time but so worth it at the end!

Moving on to the pictures....

The parts
      H&R RSS Clubsport

Mag-Ride Cancellation

Installation Pictures
      Coils_1

Coils_4

Coils_5

Up close photos of the parts
      Coils_6

Coils_7

Coils_8

Once the coilovers are fitted
      Coils_9

Coils_10

Magnetic Ride Cancellation Module installed
      Coils_11

Coils_12

We had to drill a hole on the top part in order to top mount to go through.
      Coils_14

Coils_13

Coils_15

Final Products…
      I think they sit perfect and real aggressive! They should’ve came from the factory this way

Coils_16

Coils_17

The whole car shots
      Coils_18

Coils_19

By switching to coilovers, I had gotten rid about 15-20 lbs from the car. And the car handles A LOT better on sport mode! I will drive the car some more and adjust my dampening accordingly. They are on full stiff right now LOL

Vehicles
      2011 Honda CR-V
      03-01-2012 02:23 PM #2
      Just in case you haven't seen them, I got a little surprise when I took out the fender liners in order to unplug the magnetic ride.
      TUV approved duct tapes y0!!! LOL
      Audi's Truth in Engineering there

3. 03-01-2012 04:51 PM #3
      Ballin. What's next?

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 GTi /2012 TTRS
      03-01-2012 04:59 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by dogdrive View Post
      As some of you may know, I ordered a set of H&R Clubsport coilovers for my TT-RS.

By switching to coilovers, I had gotten rid about 15-20 lbs from the car. And the car handles A LOT better on sport mode! I will drive the car some more and adjust my dampening accordingly. They are on full stiff right now LOL

What do you mean alot better in sport mode? I thought the coilovers meant your magride was no longer functional?

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      03-01-2012 05:30 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by YYC Dubber View Post
      What do you mean alot better in sport mode? I thought the coilovers meant your magride was no longer functional?
      Unless your "handles a lot better" comes from before and after installation track time experience, I just don't buy it. Lowering the car out of it's nominal operating range only degrades the handling in exchange for looks. The car handles phenomenally on the track in stock form.

Nice pics though! Looks good.
      2012 TT-RS in Suzuka Gray

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Automobile
      03-01-2012 11:32 PM #6
      Thanks for posting. Been curious as to what you thought. Glad to hear good initial impressions.

Vehicles
      '11 A3, '12 TT-RS, '14 CC R-Line
      03-01-2012 11:54 PM #7

Car looks awesome!!! Where in Cali are you located?

Where did you order the magride modules from? Any part number info, I wasn't aware you could order them without a set of KW coilovers.

Whats the part number on the H&R clubsport coilovers?

Car looks bad a$$$$!!!

Vehicles
      2011 Honda CR-V
      03-03-2012 09:37 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by LA20 View Post
      Ballin. What's next?
      Not sure, we shall see I guess

Quote Originally Posted by YYC Dubber View Post
      mag-ride is gone but suspension is way stiffer than mag ride. I feel more comfortable attacking corners with less body roll

Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
      Unless your "handles a lot better" comes from before and after installation track time experience, I just don't buy it. Lowering the car out of it's nominal operating range only degrades the handling in exchange for looks. The car handles phenomenally on the track in stock form.

Nice pics though! Looks good.
      meh... I don't believe in taking street cars to the track. If I want to do that, I might as well buy or build a dedicated racekor

Quote Originally Posted by $øK View Post
      Thanks for posting. Been curious as to what you thought. Glad to hear good initial impressions.

Quote Originally Posted by bigstu View Post

Car looks awesome!!! Where in Cali are you located?

Where did you order the magride modules from? Any part number info, I wasn't aware you could order them without a set of KW coilovers.

Car looks bad a$$$$!!!
      I'm in SoCal, Rowland Heights to be exact.
      And Yes you can buy the magride cancellation modules separately

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 OB Q7 S, 2012 PB TTRS
      03-04-2012 09:05 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
      Unless your "handles a lot better" comes from before and after installation track time experience, I just don't buy it.
      I'm sure the lower ride height, with lower center of gravity, makes the car "feel" more stable on smooth surfaces when cornering. It's a little impractical for people with rough roads.

The thing I don't buy is the infatuation with coilovers on a street car. They're perfect for a racecar because of the adjustability. But on the street, I just want to "set it and forget it". And the Magride system is truly awesome, so it seems like a waste to bypass it.

I would consider some lower springs, personally.

Car does look awesome, though!
      2011 Orca Black Q7 S-Line
      2012 Phantom Black TTRS (Tech Pack, Sport Exhaust Titanium Pack, Heated Seats)
      1999 Spec Miata #46

10. 03-04-2012 11:08 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by DrDomm View Post
      I'm sure the lower ride height, with lower center of gravity, makes the car "feel" more stable on smooth surfaces when cornering. It's a little impractical for people with rough roads.

The thing I don't buy is the infatuation with coilovers on a street car. They're perfect for a racecar because of the adjustability. But on the street, I just want to "set it and forget it". And the Magride system is truly awesome, so it seems like a waste to bypass it.

I would consider some lower springs, personally.

Car does look awesome, though!
      The one thing you do get with coilovers, even if you don't care about adjustability, is a perfectly matched spring and damper system. I ran Bilstein/Eibachs on my mk1 for over 100k miles and eventually swapped to H&R coilovers (which I believe use Bilstein dampers) and they were so much better than just shocks and springs. The ride height was about the same in both cases and the H&Rs were only height adjustable.

The problem with doing just springs is you can increase the spring rate beyond what the dampers are rated for and then you will ruin the suspension. 996cab's experiments show that working within what the magride dampers can support will yield some pretty awesome results though and I'll probably head down his path at some point once I've got more seat time (and mod budget! )

Vehicles
      '11 A3, '12 TT-RS, '14 CC R-Line
      03-05-2012 09:38 AM #11
      Where did you order the magride modules from and what is the part number?

12. Member
      03-05-2012 12:17 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by JohnLZ7W View Post
      The one thing you do get with coilovers, even if you don't care about adjustability, is a perfectly matched spring and damper system. I ran Bilstein/Eibachs on my mk1 for over 100k miles and eventually swapped to H&R coilovers (which I believe use Bilstein dampers) and they were so much better than just shocks and springs. The ride height was about the same in both cases and the H&Rs were only height adjustable.

The problem with doing just springs is you can increase the spring rate beyond what the dampers are rated for and then you will ruin the suspension. 996cab's experiments show that working within what the magride dampers can support will yield some pretty awesome results though and I'll probably head down his path at some point once I've got more seat time (and mod budget! )
      Hi All,
      if I can chime in here...ultimately a C/O kit is worthwhile IF you plan to track the car full time.

I only use the car 80% for track HOWEVER I just could not live with the 'hassle' of having to change C/O settings by getting under the car hence I kept MagneRide and did some work on the rears...pointless me telling you how great the results are...I have just posted a vid with me on track testing the results - see last post of http://forums.fourtitude.com/showthr...ear-adjustment...

This was at Brands Hatch in the UK...I can now take Surtess corner flat out in 3rd gear...prior to the change I had to drop to 2nd and slow down...the squatting issues which dogs these cars is gone on mine.

As I say - the convienience of using MagneRide is too great for me to look at a C/O...that is just me otherwise the KW Clubsport order we had opened for a period of time would have gone to a sale...no need for it now though...!

To OP, car looks nice and I do like the drop...

13. 03-05-2012 03:40 PM #13
      I have recently fitted H&R coilovers to my car also.
      Car has better initial compliance than oem (non magride) but firms up nicely.
      As mentioned a spring damper combo works way better than sticking a spring on the oem shocks unless you have the patience of 996cab who has worked tirelessly on developing a solution that works for him.

Also coilovers only need setting up once really. They do allow you to tailor the set up to you and thats easier still with the H&R as the dampers are fixed, so you're only setting ride height to your preference.
      Speaking of ride height, judge it well and you're benefiting lower C of G without removing everyday use ability.

Throw in a bespoke geo and you have the ability to transform a rather aloof car in to something far more involving that also benefits from improved curb appeal with the lower look.

Vehicles
      2005 gti 1.8t, 1998 328is, 1995 M3
      03-09-2012 07:17 PM #14
      the Heights! car looks good
      i hate vb

15. 03-14-2012 10:27 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by DrDomm View Post
      Other than the near-instant change implemented in emergency manuevers (which is present in both Sport or Normal operating mode)...what specifically do you like better about a fluid dampening vs. coil?
      2012 TTRS/Suzuka
      2012 GTI DSG/Carbon Steel