Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 15 of 15

    Thread: H&R Clubsport Coilovers installed (TT-RS)

    1. Member dogdrive's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 19th, 2005
      Location
      Cali STRONG!
      Posts
      9,521
      Vehicles
      2011 Honda CR-V
      03-01-2012 02:17 PM #1
      As some of you may know, I ordered a set of H&R Clubsport coilovers for my TT-RS.
      Originally, I was looking into getting a set of KW Clubsport but decided to backout simply because I was disappointed with the 1.4" drop in the front and 1.2" drop in the rear.
      This is a custom H&R kit ordered with shortened struts; capable on dropping the car up to 100mm.
      I also ordered the mag-ride delete modules from KW.
      Installation was a bjtch! Took a long @$$ time but so worth it at the end!

      Moving on to the pictures....

      The parts
      H&R RSS Clubsport

      Mag-Ride Cancellation

      Installation Pictures
      Coils_1

      Coils_4

      Coils_5

      Up close photos of the parts
      Coils_6

      Coils_7

      Coils_8

      Once the coilovers are fitted
      Coils_9

      Coils_10

      Magnetic Ride Cancellation Module installed
      Coils_11

      Coils_12

      We had to drill a hole on the top part in order to top mount to go through.
      Coils_14

      Coils_13

      Coils_15

      Final Products…
      I think they sit perfect and real aggressive! They should’ve came from the factory this way

      Coils_16

      Coils_17

      The whole car shots
      Coils_18

      Coils_19

      By switching to coilovers, I had gotten rid about 15-20 lbs from the car. And the car handles A LOT better on sport mode! I will drive the car some more and adjust my dampening accordingly. They are on full stiff right now LOL

    2. Member dogdrive's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 19th, 2005
      Location
      Cali STRONG!
      Posts
      9,521
      Vehicles
      2011 Honda CR-V
      03-01-2012 02:23 PM #2
      Just in case you haven't seen them, I got a little surprise when I took out the fender liners in order to unplug the magnetic ride.
      TUV approved duct tapes y0!!! LOL
      Audi's Truth in Engineering there




    3. 03-01-2012 04:51 PM #3
      Ballin. What's next?

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 23rd, 2011
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      316
      Vehicles
      2007 GTi /2012 TTRS
      03-01-2012 04:59 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by dogdrive View Post
      As some of you may know, I ordered a set of H&R Clubsport coilovers for my TT-RS.

      By switching to coilovers, I had gotten rid about 15-20 lbs from the car. And the car handles A LOT better on sport mode! I will drive the car some more and adjust my dampening accordingly. They are on full stiff right now LOL

      What do you mean alot better in sport mode? I thought the coilovers meant your magride was no longer functional?

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2000
      Posts
      7,000
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      03-01-2012 05:30 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by YYC Dubber View Post
      What do you mean alot better in sport mode? I thought the coilovers meant your magride was no longer functional?
      Unless your "handles a lot better" comes from before and after installation track time experience, I just don't buy it. Lowering the car out of it's nominal operating range only degrades the handling in exchange for looks. The car handles phenomenally on the track in stock form.

      Nice pics though! Looks good.
      2012 TT-RS in Suzuka Gray

    6. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 16th, 2011
      Posts
      68
      Vehicles
      Automobile
      03-01-2012 11:32 PM #6
      Thanks for posting. Been curious as to what you thought. Glad to hear good initial impressions.

    7. Member bigstu's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 6th, 2008
      Location
      Mission Viejo, CA
      Posts
      578
      Vehicles
      '11 A3, '12 TT-RS, '14 CC R-Line
      03-01-2012 11:54 PM #7


      Car looks awesome!!! Where in Cali are you located?

      Where did you order the magride modules from? Any part number info, I wasn't aware you could order them without a set of KW coilovers.

      Whats the part number on the H&R clubsport coilovers?

      Car looks bad a$$$$!!!

    8. Member dogdrive's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 19th, 2005
      Location
      Cali STRONG!
      Posts
      9,521
      Vehicles
      2011 Honda CR-V
      03-03-2012 09:37 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by LA20 View Post
      Ballin. What's next?
      Not sure, we shall see I guess

      Quote Originally Posted by YYC Dubber View Post
      What do you mean alot better in sport mode? I thought the coilovers meant your magride was no longer functional?
      mag-ride is gone but suspension is way stiffer than mag ride. I feel more comfortable attacking corners with less body roll

      Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
      Unless your "handles a lot better" comes from before and after installation track time experience, I just don't buy it. Lowering the car out of it's nominal operating range only degrades the handling in exchange for looks. The car handles phenomenally on the track in stock form.

      Nice pics though! Looks good.
      meh... I don't believe in taking street cars to the track. If I want to do that, I might as well buy or build a dedicated racekor


      Quote Originally Posted by $øK View Post
      Thanks for posting. Been curious as to what you thought. Glad to hear good initial impressions.


      Quote Originally Posted by bigstu View Post


      Car looks awesome!!! Where in Cali are you located?

      Where did you order the magride modules from? Any part number info, I wasn't aware you could order them without a set of KW coilovers.

      Whats the part number on the H&R clubsport coilovers?

      Car looks bad a$$$$!!!
      I'm in SoCal, Rowland Heights to be exact.
      And Yes you can buy the magride cancellation modules separately

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 16th, 2003
      Location
      Binghamton, NY
      Posts
      1,305
      Vehicles
      2011 OB Q7 S, 2012 PB TTRS
      03-04-2012 09:05 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
      Unless your "handles a lot better" comes from before and after installation track time experience, I just don't buy it.
      I'm sure the lower ride height, with lower center of gravity, makes the car "feel" more stable on smooth surfaces when cornering. It's a little impractical for people with rough roads.

      The thing I don't buy is the infatuation with coilovers on a street car. They're perfect for a racecar because of the adjustability. But on the street, I just want to "set it and forget it". And the Magride system is truly awesome, so it seems like a waste to bypass it.

      I would consider some lower springs, personally.

      Car does look awesome, though!
      2011 Orca Black Q7 S-Line
      2012 Phantom Black TTRS (Tech Pack, Sport Exhaust Titanium Pack, Heated Seats)
      1999 Spec Miata #46

    10. 03-04-2012 11:08 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by DrDomm View Post
      I'm sure the lower ride height, with lower center of gravity, makes the car "feel" more stable on smooth surfaces when cornering. It's a little impractical for people with rough roads.

      The thing I don't buy is the infatuation with coilovers on a street car. They're perfect for a racecar because of the adjustability. But on the street, I just want to "set it and forget it". And the Magride system is truly awesome, so it seems like a waste to bypass it.

      I would consider some lower springs, personally.

      Car does look awesome, though!
      The one thing you do get with coilovers, even if you don't care about adjustability, is a perfectly matched spring and damper system. I ran Bilstein/Eibachs on my mk1 for over 100k miles and eventually swapped to H&R coilovers (which I believe use Bilstein dampers) and they were so much better than just shocks and springs. The ride height was about the same in both cases and the H&Rs were only height adjustable.

      The problem with doing just springs is you can increase the spring rate beyond what the dampers are rated for and then you will ruin the suspension. 996cab's experiments show that working within what the magride dampers can support will yield some pretty awesome results though and I'll probably head down his path at some point once I've got more seat time (and mod budget! )

    11. Member bigstu's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 6th, 2008
      Location
      Mission Viejo, CA
      Posts
      578
      Vehicles
      '11 A3, '12 TT-RS, '14 CC R-Line
      03-05-2012 09:38 AM #11
      Where did you order the magride modules from and what is the part number?

      Whats the part number on the H&R clubsport coilovers?

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 13th, 2011
      Location
      London and Hampshire. UK
      Posts
      190
      03-05-2012 12:17 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by JohnLZ7W View Post
      The one thing you do get with coilovers, even if you don't care about adjustability, is a perfectly matched spring and damper system. I ran Bilstein/Eibachs on my mk1 for over 100k miles and eventually swapped to H&R coilovers (which I believe use Bilstein dampers) and they were so much better than just shocks and springs. The ride height was about the same in both cases and the H&Rs were only height adjustable.

      The problem with doing just springs is you can increase the spring rate beyond what the dampers are rated for and then you will ruin the suspension. 996cab's experiments show that working within what the magride dampers can support will yield some pretty awesome results though and I'll probably head down his path at some point once I've got more seat time (and mod budget! )
      Hi All,
      if I can chime in here...ultimately a C/O kit is worthwhile IF you plan to track the car full time.

      I only use the car 80% for track HOWEVER I just could not live with the 'hassle' of having to change C/O settings by getting under the car hence I kept MagneRide and did some work on the rears...pointless me telling you how great the results are...I have just posted a vid with me on track testing the results - see last post of http://forums.fourtitude.com/showthr...ear-adjustment...

      This was at Brands Hatch in the UK...I can now take Surtess corner flat out in 3rd gear...prior to the change I had to drop to 2nd and slow down...the squatting issues which dogs these cars is gone on mine.

      As I say - the convienience of using MagneRide is too great for me to look at a C/O...that is just me otherwise the KW Clubsport order we had opened for a period of time would have gone to a sale...no need for it now though...!

      To OP, car looks nice and I do like the drop...

    13. 03-05-2012 03:40 PM #13
      I have recently fitted H&R coilovers to my car also.
      Car has better initial compliance than oem (non magride) but firms up nicely.
      As mentioned a spring damper combo works way better than sticking a spring on the oem shocks unless you have the patience of 996cab who has worked tirelessly on developing a solution that works for him.

      Also coilovers only need setting up once really. They do allow you to tailor the set up to you and thats easier still with the H&R as the dampers are fixed, so you're only setting ride height to your preference.
      Speaking of ride height, judge it well and you're benefiting lower C of G without removing everyday use ability.

      Throw in a bespoke geo and you have the ability to transform a rather aloof car in to something far more involving that also benefits from improved curb appeal with the lower look.

    14. Member gTirl's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 17th, 2006
      Location
      Hacienda Heights, CA
      Posts
      4,009
      Vehicles
      2005 gti 1.8t, 1998 328is, 1995 M3
      03-09-2012 07:17 PM #14
      the Heights! car looks good
      i hate vb

    15. 03-14-2012 10:27 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by DrDomm View Post
      The thing I don't buy is the infatuation with coilovers on a street car. They're perfect for a racecar because of the adjustability. But on the street, I just want to "set it and forget it". And the Magride system is truly awesome, so it seems like a waste to bypass it.
      Other than the near-instant change implemented in emergency manuevers (which is present in both Sport or Normal operating mode)...what specifically do you like better about a fluid dampening vs. coil?
      2012 TTRS/Suzuka
      2012 GTI DSG/Carbon Steel

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •