Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Engine Selection

1. Member
      Vehicles
      1997 MKIII GTI 2.Slow
      03-01-2012 04:49 PM #1
      What are the planned engines in the MKVII?

I get the feeling that it is going to be for us in America 2 different turbo motors. A base 1.8T to replace the 2.5 5 cylinder, a upped version of the 2.0T, and a TDI. Has anyone else got the same feeling? While I have done searches nothing has given any confermations one way or another.

I want the 2.5 with DSG with a few bolt on's, and sport suspension. To avoid the trouble I will get myself in with the 2.0T motor.

2. 03-01-2012 10:04 PM #2
      Don't know what the options will be but I'm interested in seeing what they do with the TDI. If they can up the HP a bit that'd be a really interesting option.
      2011 A4
      2004 Jetta Wagon

3. 03-04-2012 02:37 PM #3
      I'd be interested to see if they bring over the GTD that is available all over Europe. The GTD uses the same 2 liter turbo direct injection diesel engine that is used in the TDI, but the output is bumped to about 170bhp and 260lb-ft.
      It's unlikely that this engine would be brought over as the current TDI is selling like hot cakes (my dealership just ordered me the last 4dr manual tdi w/Tech in Blue Graphite available on the east coast) and the GTD would take a huge bite out of the current GTI market; just think, GTI performance with diesel mpg's!

4. 03-04-2012 04:13 PM #4
      I am hoping for a 1.8T base engine, and also hoping that the engine outperforms whatever power rating they decide to slap on it sort of like the 2.0T seems to.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf TDI, 2012 GTI
      03-05-2012 06:00 PM #5
      I'll go with the 1.8t engine
      Quote Originally Posted by johnnyR32 View Post
      IMO the best place for mounting a euro plate is in the trash.

6. 03-06-2012 01:29 PM #6
      It sounds like VW's new TDI engine may be offered in the VII. At least, the Europeans will have it-no telling when this will be on our shores:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/detaile...er-tdi-diesel/

Vehicles
      2009 GTI
      03-13-2012 07:05 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Spatzle View Post
      What are the planned engines in the MKVII?

I get the feeling that it is going to be for us in America 2 different turbo motors. A base 1.8T to replace the 2.5 5 cylinder, a upped version of the 2.0T, and a TDI. Has anyone else got the same feeling? While I have done searches nothing has given any confermations one way or another.

I want the 2.5 with DSG with a few bolt on's, and sport suspension. To avoid the trouble I will get myself in with the 2.0T motor.
      base car will have a 1.8T with approx 180hp, and the 2.0T will be boosted up slightly as well. just do a search, they had an article on the main page like a month ago with all the details you'd need.
      girls dig when i play with the V

Vehicles
      '73 Reg Beetle, '95 855, '97 Golf CL, '00 Forester S, '02 Jetta TDI
      03-15-2012 04:34 AM #8
      1.8 8v from the mkII

Vehicles
      2011 VW Golf 2.5l, 5 sp Manual, 2dr.
      03-23-2012 11:14 AM #9
      Shame about losing the 5 cylinder... it sings a sweet tone.

Vehicles
      2001 Golf 1.8T, 2008 DBP .:R32, 2010 CW GTI
      03-25-2012 04:35 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by hussdog426 View Post
      I'll go with the 1.8t engine
      Very tempting, it'll be interesting to see what else separates the Golf from the GTI now that they'll have FI in common. I miss my MkIV 1.8T.

11. Member
      03-26-2012 05:56 AM #11
      If they keep the 2.5, it would probably keep the same automatic that it is paired to now which is just a conventional torque converter Aisin automatic and not a DSG.

Though by the time the Golf actually makes it to the US (1 year or more after the EU release this coming winter), the new turbo should have replaced the 2.5.

Vehicles
      E90 335i and MK6 Golf
      03-26-2012 09:10 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Zoolook_ View Post
      Shame about losing the 5 cylinder... it sings a sweet tone.
      and its reliable.

I am really excited for the MK7 GTI.

13. 03-26-2012 10:54 AM #13
      I'm looking forward to mk7 wagon, FINALLY the golf wagon will get a half decent engine. The used golf wagon market is saturated with 2.5s and I'd rather have a TDI if that was the case. BUT with the resurgence of the neva lose 1.8TSI, the non-GTI shopper can get a tuner friendly wagon

can't wait
      One foot in the grave, one foot in the toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by McBanagon View Post
      The dumb is strong in this thread, I have felt it for some time.

Vehicles
      E90 335i and MK6 Golf
      03-26-2012 01:55 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by mmmGadgets View Post
      I'm looking forward to mk7 wagon, FINALLY the golf wagon will get a half decent engine. The used golf wagon market is saturated with 2.5s and I'd rather have a TDI if that was the case. BUT with the resurgence of the neva lose 1.8TSI, the non-GTI shopper can get a tuner friendly wagon
      The 2.5 in 2010+ VW's is quite good.

It got a few revisions as well as better gearing.

Highway mileage went from upper 20's to mid-30's.

2.5 Highs = 170HP... highway gas mileage in the mid-30's... Timing Chain... Regular Gas... reliable... torquey.

My wife keeps her cars from 10-15 years so it was the best choice for us.

Also I personally would never buy a new tech VW engine.

Early 2.8 VR6 engines had timing chain issues...the first 1.8T had issues with the timing belt interval and plastic impeller on the waterpump... 2.0T FSI had issues with the cam follower... B6 Passat 3.6 V6 had a bolt that came undone in the engine causing a wallet zapping meltdown.

If I opted for the new 1.8T it wouldn't be until 3-4 years after release.
      Last edited by XM_Rocks; 03-26-2012 at 02:03 PM.

15. 03-28-2012 10:46 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by XM_Rocks View Post

2.5 Highs = 170HP... highway gas mileage in the mid-30's... Timing Chain... Regular Gas... reliable... torquey.

Early 2.8 VR6 engines had timing chain issues...the first 1.8T had issues with the timing belt interval and plastic impeller on the waterpump... 2.0T FSI had issues with the cam follower... B6 Passat 3.6 V6 had a bolt that came undone in the engine causing a wallet zapping meltdown.

I completely agree with the reliability of the 2.5s but I don't think it's nearly as tunable (after market support) as a TSI engine. With that said, I have a lot more confidence in the reliability of the TSI engine over the FSI for stated reasons above. I'm banking on the little-to-no issues with the 2.0TSI in the current GTIs.

After reading a few threads there seems to be a bit of confusion whether the 2.5s will be replaced by the 1.4TSI(from the Jetta Hybrid) or the 1.8TSI.
      One foot in the grave, one foot in the toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by McBanagon View Post
      The dumb is strong in this thread, I have felt it for some time.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      1997 MKIII GTI 2.Slow
      04-01-2012 03:17 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by XM_Rocks View Post

Myself I would love a Turbo, but I know me. And I will end up playing with it to make it faster.

The 2.5 is an excellent base engine. Powerfull enough to make most people happy, and even make want to be GTI owners still purchase the car. Unlike the corolla and civic base motors which is pita to drive. Because they lack torque or proper gearing. To deal with the load they have.

A kid I worked with had a base Golf with trip-tronic he tricked out a bit with used GTI parts. I talked him into letting me drive it to lunch. Which is the reason I want one once I get back on better finacial ground.

I am sure the 1.8T is a good motor, but insurance costs could kill getting younger buyers. Where the na 2.5 usually won't have that issue.

17. 04-02-2012 12:45 AM #17
      I think the 2.5L gets dumped on way too much. I had a 2009 2.5L and managed to get a combined MPG of just under 30 MPG from it (mostly highway driving, 42K miles). I live in the Northeast with a long winter as well.

Now I have a 2012 Impreza with a 2.0L + CVT and I am doing worse MPG in real world driving compared to what I was getting in the VW. Sure the Impreza has a much more impressing window sticker, but it isn't delivering good MPG in actual use. Plus the 2.5L had way more torque than my current car

Vehicles
      2015 GTI 6MT Autobahn
      06-05-2012 10:48 AM #18
      I had a 2.5 in a 2008 rabbit and loved that engine!!!

I like the 2.0t now even more but I think the 2.5 is great and should stay!
      A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster. ~Jeremy Clarkson

19. 06-08-2012 05:06 AM #19
      I'm going to guess that the 1.4TSI will most likely be the 2.5's replacement. Not the 1.8T (and it pains me to say this). I think the 1.8 will be the base motor in cars like the Passat, Tiguan and maybe even the CC. i.e. Larger cars.

The 1.4 is making class-competitive power as it is (150hp/184lb-ft at 1400/3500RPM), if the specs from the Jetta Hybrid are accurate. The 1.8T is supposedly going to make 180hp, which would be awesome for the Golf, but it's almost unnecessary. Not to mention it'll essentially be a bargain GTI (especially if the GTI is making 220-230 as opposed to 260, which would be a much better gap), thus hurting sales. I see the 1.8 going into the Passat, where 180hp is the class standard.
      Last edited by Snaeper; 06-08-2012 at 05:16 AM.

Vehicles
      2011 Golf TDI
      06-11-2012 09:50 AM #20
      In the Mk VI Golf TDI, there is more power that most people want or need, particularly in town. Yet the fuel economy is not good enough. It's barely better than some gas cars. For VII, it would be wise for VW to get the fuel economy numbers up 20%.

The MkIV Golf TDI had 90 hp. Why does Mk VI have 140 hp when they weigh the same? If the Golf VII TDI has similar fuel economy to the Golf VI TDI, I'm looking for a hybrid.

Ford will release Focus hybrid; Hyundai will bring something good out; Toyota already has two cars with 50 MPG combined. 40 MPG is no longer good enough.

Vehicles
      E90 335i and MK6 Golf
      06-11-2012 10:45 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Blonde Guy View Post
      In the Mk VI Golf TDI, there is more power that most people want or need, particularly in town. Yet the fuel economy is not good enough. It's barely better than some gas cars. For VII, it would be wise for VW to get the fuel economy numbers up 20%.

The MkIV Golf TDI had 90 hp. Why does Mk VI have 140 hp when they weigh the same? If the Golf VII TDI has similar fuel economy to the Golf VI TDI, I'm looking for a hybrid.
      Most of the 40MPG cars on the market are slow and can rarely replicate the numbers in the real world. The TDI is underrated and has 240lb ft of passing oomph.

I would love a TDI Hybrid combo w/ 90HP/170TQ that gets 50+MPG.

If you want a hatch you are stuck with Prius V or Golf. If you will take a sedan the Fusion Hybrid looks great.

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      06-11-2012 10:32 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Blonde Guy View Post

Ford will release Focus hybrid; Hyundai will bring something good out; Toyota already has two cars with 50 MPG combined. 40 MPG is no longer good enough.
      The Jetta hybrid will be out next year, and the MkVII Golf hybrid should follow soon after. There will also be EV versions. In mostly city driving, a TDI will never get as good mileage as a hybrid. In mostly highway driving, the Diesel is as good or better. Also, some people enjoy the low-end power and great handling of the Golf TDI.

The hybrids will also have the 7-speed dry-clutch DSG and thus will not carry the mileage penalty of the current 6-speed oil-bath DSG (versus a manual).