Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: What do you think of this Logo

1. 03-02-2012 12:11 AM #1
      Hello everyone, I just want your guys opinion on this logo that i made for a family member. Some key things to remember are:

He said he didnt want anything too fancy
      He said He wanted a cartoon with a thumbs up and a brush in his hand etc
      Pretty much what you see is what he wants, he says its perfect

The thing is i know im much better than what i made, but he doesnt want me to change it. im completley fine with that but sometimes i just want to do the right thing and make it better. I think part of the reason he doesnt want me to change it is because he doesnt want to pay more. We havent even agreed on a price so i have no idea how much i am going to get paid, i put in about 10 hours into it.

After the logo are some other examples of my work. Just let me know if you think this would be an acceptable logo for a small painting company, if you saw this on a truck what would you think?

Note:If you want to use any of my work shown here, please ask me first, thanks.

Phone numbers etc are all fictional

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Other Work

take it easy, relax.

2. Banned
      Vehicles
      G37s
      03-02-2012 12:21 PM #2
      While I commend your work, and would not even know how to make a logo, I think your mouth renderings are "odd" on the sample work, and "stern" of the people of Parks and Rec.

The painter has this odd "break" of his lower lip, almost misplaced, conveying a sense of concern. Most people who see that logo will think of it as "satisfactory." Then, there are those, like myself, who would analyze the character and pontificate if he is forcing a smile because he did some shadey paint job, and is hoping I (the home-owner) don't catch it.

Perhaps you should "smooth" out the bottom lip a bit, making it flow more naturally.

Of note is the painters right hand (with the thumbs-up). You should consider making it less blocky and more shaply by offering some curvature to his fingers/knuckles/wrist/thumb.

Again, great work, I couldn't do 1/100 of this, just my novice observations.
      Last edited by Polski Ogier; 03-02-2012 at 12:24 PM.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 b3v 1981 jetta
      03-02-2012 02:18 PM #3
      "wall-to-wall"

Vehicles
      90 turbo miata - 87 325is - 13 Mustang GT
      03-02-2012 03:15 PM #4
      I'd vary the line weights a little bit, would help make it less "flat" looking. Making the outline of the guy a thicker stroke than some of the details. Making the outline of his thumbs up thicker will make it look more 3-D.
      I'd also get rid of the drop shadow behind "universal painting" since its kind of distracting. and move the "wall to wall" banner up a little bit, it looks less cohesive with it as low as it is.

A good exercise to do is shrink the logo down to thumbnail size and see how it affects how it looks, if it becomes muddled or unreadable. Since the logo will rarely be as large as it is in the thread it will help you see what to emphasize and what to get rid of. Its looking good so far though.
      Last edited by stevegolf; 03-02-2012 at 03:17 PM.

5. 03-02-2012 04:13 PM #5
      thank you all for your input, i am definately going to fix the mouth, i see what you are saying there.

I wish i could get rid of the Drop shadow and possibly a different font, but the man wants it there...

I have considered a pseudo stroke on the painter but wasnt sure how it would look, i will try it out.

Thanks again!
      take it easy, relax.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Golf 2L
      03-05-2012 10:32 AM #6
      i believe in company branding (logo), the name of the company should pop out from the rest of the design and be the central focus point, with any additional graphics supporting that name. you want people to be drawn to and remember the name.
      right now the name falls quietly into the background and is soon forgotten. this is due to the size and color intensity of the painter dude relative to the dull blue/grey of the actual logo. the painter dude pops out and draws your attention visually. i know your client wants him included, but he really should serve to pull attention to the name, not distract from it.

7. 03-05-2012 06:52 PM #7
      I did not think of that, thanks. I am currently working on it and have made a few changes to it, should be done by the end of the week, i might post the end result when i am finished.

Thank you all again!
      take it easy, relax.

Vehicles
      MKV R32 / Jeep GC (WJ)
      03-06-2012 03:57 PM #8
      What program did you create these in?

9. 03-06-2012 06:01 PM #9
      Illustrator CS5
      take it easy, relax.

Vehicles
      New car/Old car
      04-03-2012 04:08 PM #10
      I think what you're creating is more of an illustration and less of a "logo" per se, but if this is what the client wants...

I think there might be a few technical issues when it comes to reproducing this on smaller things (business cards/invoices/etc.) The shadow on the type will become messy at small sizes and things like the "V.P." and black text on the green banner will be hard to read. If he's not planning on doing that, then ignore what I just said.

If I were to see it on the side of a truck, I would think small-time painter, not a very serious operation. (And that's no knock on your work)...

04-03-2012 06:35 PM #11
      Just my 2 cents from a marketing point of view versus a design point of view...

I think you should drop the word "Cell:", as it makes it seem like more like the potential customer is calling "some guy" instead of calling a "business".

Vehicles
      1979 Rabbit 4-door
      04-29-2012 08:25 PM #12
      you forgot to fill in the space under one of the stripper's shoes