Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Has anyone purchased/installed a rear hatch sill protector?

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL w/Premium Nav; 2011 BMW X3 35i
      03-03-2012 12:31 PM #1
      I bought the OEM sill protectors for our new SEL, and found this:
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Bumper-...ht_4182wt_1020

Has any one purchased/installed one of these or something similar? If so how was the fit and what are your opinions of the item?

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0t 6mt
      03-03-2012 12:58 PM #2
      I am the one that got stuck installing accessories at dealerships when people bought stuff. They are very easy to install. I am sorta perfectionist so I always measured and used painters/masking tape to help make sure it was aligned perfect. I also used some prepsol or cleaner to remove all the grease and such before I stuck the sill protectors down. I never did a Tiguan; however, did many sportwagens and such. So I can't think of it being that much different to install one.

From looking at the ebay link. I would pull the protecting sticky cover stuff off the back side of the sticky tape closet to the interior of the vehicle first. Then align on the area carefully but making sure you dont press down hard yet. Once you got the alignment correct. I would then pull the cover off the side closest to the outside of the car. Make sure you created a little pull tab from this sticky protecting cover of the outside double-side sticky tape before doing this. At this point all the double side tape will be in contact with the surface and you can press down with some force to make sure it sticks/bonded well.

What part of SoCal do you live in?
      Last edited by Boosted2003!; 03-03-2012 at 01:03 PM.

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      03-03-2012 03:53 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Boosted2003! View Post

What part of SoCal do you live in?
      Long Beach area.

Vehicles
      2013 Golf MKVI TDI & 2012 VW Tiguan SEL 4Motion
      03-11-2012 11:58 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Pablo509 View Post
      I bought the OEM sill protectors for our new SEL, and found this:
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Bumper-...ht_4182wt_1020

Has any one purchased/installed one of these or something similar? If so how was the fit and what are your opinions of the item?
      I am considering this - let me know if you follow through with purchase and installation.

5. 03-11-2012 08:59 PM #5
      that photo can't be from the tiguan. Where is the license plate?

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      03-12-2012 06:52 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by kirk View Post
      that photo can't be from the tiguan. Where is the license plate?
      Given that these are shipping from China, I would venture to guess that it either has a smaller plate or no plate was mounted for the photo. Also note that the black plastic bumper appears to have park sensors. Those are not available in the US at least not on the 2012s.

@saabdrvr - my wife isn't real excited about this, althought that may change since I just installed the OEM door sill protectors on her Tig. Given that this is $50 and ships from China, it's probably a good bet that if there is any issue with the product I'm out $50. I might be a little more inclined for $30. In any case, I'll post if we install one.

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL 4Motion, 2012 Touareg Hybrid
      03-12-2012 08:38 PM #7
      Waste of money. That part of the bumper isn't "usable" plus it'll looks tacky with Tiguan written on it. I'd consider it if it was plain and cost $20.00. Better off considering a matching aluminum plate that goes alongside the bottom of the trunk IMHO.
      Last edited by TIGSEL; 03-13-2012 at 01:35 PM.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan, 1982 Alfa Spider, Cannondale R700
      03-13-2012 09:39 AM #8
      I would have a shop install a piece of the 3M clear bra material on the top of the bumper for protection... the chromed / polished stainless seems tacky to me.

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Tiguan S
      03-13-2012 11:41 AM #9
      I bought a similar one on eBay, also made in China. It looks great and is very durable, I step on it quite a bit when I change into golfing shoes with no scratches or dents. Problem is, the textured plastic bumper does not adhere well, even though I took all the steps for a quality install, after 6 months, it fell off, thankfully, in my driveway, so I got 2 black plastic, ribbed shank, push in rivets, 1" long from my local auto parts store for about a buck, drilled 2 holes at each end, and pushed in the rivets for a very secure fit. It will not come off again, I strongly recommend doing this, or it will just become another piece of freeway debris eventually. I also added a chrome trim bar across the bottom of the hatch, those 2 pieces give the rear an upscale look.
      2011 Tiguan S - 20" Faulken LX-10 wheels, Falken Azenis 245/45-20 tires
      2001 Camaro SS Convertible. 425 HP 400 TQ 6-speed man.
      2014 Mazda CX-9 with black 20's

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      03-13-2012 07:48 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Roland 2.0T View Post
      I bought a similar one on eBay, also made in China. It looks great and is very durable, I step on it quite a bit when I change into golfing shoes with no scratches or dents. Problem is, the textured plastic bumper does not adhere well, even though I took all the steps for a quality install, after 6 months, it fell off, thankfully, in my driveway, so I got 2 black plastic, ribbed shank, push in rivets, 1" long from my local auto parts store for about a buck, drilled 2 holes at each end, and pushed in the rivets for a very secure fit. It will not come off again, I strongly recommend doing this, or it will just become another piece of freeway debris eventually. I also added a chrome trim bar across the bottom of the hatch, those 2 pieces give the rear an upscale look.
      Would love to see pics if possible.

Vehicles
      2013 Golf MKVI TDI & 2012 VW Tiguan SEL 4Motion
      03-13-2012 09:56 PM #11
      Given that these are shipping from China, I would venture to guess that it either has a smaller plate or no plate was mounted for the photo. Also note that the black plastic bumper appears to have park sensors. Those are not available in the US at least not on the 2012s.

@saabdrvr - my wife isn't real excited about this, althought that may change since I just installed the OEM door sill protectors on her Tig. Given that this is $50 and ships from China, it's probably a good bet that if there is any issue with the product I'm out $50. I might be a little more inclined for $30. In any case, I'll post if we install one.
      My door sill protectors are on order... I haven't spent any time with the new Tiguan yet, so when they come in at least I will be able to get my hands on the Tiggy for at least a short time. I'll also be able to look more closely at the rear bumper to discern the best option for that.

12. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Tiguan S
      03-14-2012 11:16 AM #12
      Would love to see pics if possible.
      How's this?

[IMG]"http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab71/roleng/?action=view&current=Rear2.jpg" target="_blank">Photobucket[/IMG]

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
      2011 Tiguan S - 20" Faulken LX-10 wheels, Falken Azenis 245/45-20 tires
      2001 Camaro SS Convertible. 425 HP 400 TQ 6-speed man.
      2014 Mazda CX-9 with black 20's