Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: RNS-510 Firmware Upgrade (3/1/12) - Anyone?

1. 04-20-2012 12:49 PM #106
      You do NOT need a second code...Sirius is wrong. Keep complaining and just have then enable the service. It's a simple checkmark on their screen. They are confused because the Passat isn't in the TravelLink list yet. Get belligerent and get angry! They will eventually add it.

Vehicles
      2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2012 Passat TDI SEL (sold)
      04-20-2012 05:26 PM #107
      Avoid their first tier support. Call 855.260.5969 and get directly to second tier support.

Mine was activated yesterday - finally! The very helpful technician who helped me said the issue lies with VW not issuing a new Sirius ID for the radios after the software upgrade. Sirius does not see the RNS-510 with SW2625 as Travel Link capable. Because we don't get new IDs, their system does not allow them to offer us Travel Link without massive internal escalation.

Be persistent and polite and they'll help you out.
      2013 Passat TDI SEL (Black/Black)
      2012 Passat TDI SEL (Black/Beige) - sold

Vehicles
      2005.5 VW JETTA TDI PKG 1, 2012 VW PASSAT TDI SEL
      04-20-2012 06:05 PM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by segeln4me View Post
      Sirius three times now and the last two keep saying that they need a secondary ID code to make this work, that the dealer must provide this code, like a ESN number. What are they talking about? The only code the radio shows is the one in the setup and is the ID they have for my music service and they say that one does not work with Travellink and that the dealer must have another ID code for the upgrade now. I am getting tired argueing with them about this. Very typical that they are blaming the dealer! I am sure if I go to the dealer they will just look at me and say that is Sirius problem not theirs!

Anyone else have success past this?
      I had this same problem...I however was going back and forth calling VWoA to make sure that the car has the hardware capable of accepting travel link, and they at first weren't sure, but later someone confirmed that it did. So it was on to just keep calling Sirius...I called around 20 times in the 2 day, considering I started friday night, and finished saturday morning. I finally got someone from sirius to transfer me to technical support in Sirius, and the guy at technical support was finally able to activate it for me. There is only one radio ID for Sirius...so don't let them confuse you. I was so pissed at everybody, but at least I finally got it to work. It will take some time, but once you get the right person, they will be able to activate it for you. Also, as them to give you a discount for all the frustration you had because of them once you do get it activated.
      Best of luck to you man!

Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SEL, 2010 Jetta TDI w/DSG
      04-21-2012 04:06 PM #109
      Kchorro I should have gone to Lewisville like you suggested. It took 2 trips to McKinney even with lettter in hand to get my firmware updated. I was too lazy to drive 2 hours round trip to Lewisville but ended up spending more time anyway going back and forth to McKinney.

Now on the problem 2. Trying to get the people at Sirius to activate your radio is a major pain, I am on the phone waiting for Sirius to get their act together while typing this.

So far Sirius attitude has been that I must have installed pirated software to get the TravelLink option on my Nav. They even asked for the phone number of my VW Dealer so they could call and verify the software is legitimate. What a joke.

Called the number listed below 855.260.5969 for 2nd tier support and after being placed on indefinite hold for over an hour I hung up.

The question is why would VW send a lettter to customers having them contact Sirius to activate a service Sirius clearly does not have a clue how to do?

Update:

Finally got it activated, as others have mentioned there is no magic formula. Keep calling back, the last rep I spoke with activated without a problem.
      Last edited by darrelld; 04-21-2012 at 06:38 PM.

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT
      04-24-2012 09:31 AM #110
      I just got a letter in the mail from Volkswagen about this update to my system. I couldn't decide if I wanted to have it over my voice commands. Then someone asked me a good question, "Do I use it?" Nope, I usually input my navigation manually, and manage the radio manually. So this morning, I tried to navigate to work using the voice commands. Got frustrated as it never either understands me, or I never get the commands right.

If this speeds up my system a bit and makes my bluetooth calling more accurate then I think I'll get it done.
      ||||||||||||||
      CURRENT: 2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT
      PREVIOUS: 2009 VW Tiguan SE; 2006 VW Passat 2.0T; 1997 Oldsmobile Achieva Coupe

Vehicles
      04-24-2012 09:39 AM #111
      Quote Originally Posted by darrelld View Post
      Kchorro I should have gone to Lewisville like you suggested. It took 2 trips to McKinney even with lettter in hand to get my firmware updated. I was too lazy to drive 2 hours round trip to Lewisville but ended up spending more time anyway going back and forth to McKinney.

Now on the problem 2. Trying to get the people at Sirius to activate your radio is a major pain, I am on the phone waiting for Sirius to get their act together while typing this.

So far Sirius attitude has been that I must have installed pirated software to get the TravelLink option on my Nav. They even asked for the phone number of my VW Dealer so they could call and verify the software is legitimate. What a joke.

Called the number listed below 855.260.5969 for 2nd tier support and after being placed on indefinite hold for over an hour I hung up.

The question is why would VW send a lettter to customers having them contact Sirius to activate a service Sirius clearly does not have a clue how to do?

Update:

Finally got it activated, as others have mentioned there is no magic formula. Keep calling back, the last rep I spoke with activated without a problem.
      Glad to hear that you finally got it activated. SiriusXM customer care is very frustrating to deal with, and the don't know what they are doing! But as long as it works now, that is what is important. Because like they were telling me that VW gave me a radio that is not capable of accepting TravelLink, and that I need to contact VW to get hardware replaced. Just a lot of BS. They really need to put more of the people that know what they are doing for Customer Support. That would make more sense...

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium Tungsten/Black
      04-24-2012 02:39 PM #112
      Darrell, Im glad you had fix at the end.. That all that matter right?.
      I think I have learned over the years and I don't really mind driving far to get a good service or to get what I really want.. I do this with everything... even for good cold beer with the best Brisket in the State of Texas. jejeje

The 121 tool way is a great and fast route (an expensive too, maybe like $8 round trip) between Allen and Lewisville dealer.

Well, mistake learned. jejeje let me know next time again.
      Also we have METRO VW in Irving.. Service is better due to service manager; Steve is a blessing to work. It has more than 30 years relation with VW. He always eager to please customers and do things right.
      Last edited by Kchorro; 04-24-2012 at 05:36 PM.
      2004 VW Touareg V6 - Traded for the 2006
      2006 VW Touareg V6 - Traded for the Tiguan
      2009 VW 2.0T Jetta Wolfsburg - traded for the Passat
      2012 VW Tiguan 2.0 TSI SEL Premium Nav
      2012 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium w/rear lid spoiler

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Passat TDI; 2013 VW Jetta GLI
      04-24-2012 03:01 PM #113
      When I was driving my old Toyota Highlander, I always pick toll way because of the fuel efficiency. Now when I am driving 12 Passat TDI, I have to think twice...
      121 is a pretty nice toll way. I hope they can finish all the toll way soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kchorro View Post
      Darrell, Im glad you had fix at the end.. That all it matter right?.
      I think I have learned over the years and I don't really mind driving far to get a good service or to get what I really want.. I do this with everything... even for good cold beer with the best Brisket in the State of Texas. jejeje

The 121 tool way is a great and fast route (an expensive too, maybe like $8 round trip) between Allen and Lewisville dealer.

Well, mistake learned. jejeje let me know next time again.
      Also we have METRO VW in Irving.. Service is better due to service manager; Steve is a blessing to work. It has more than 30 years relation with VW. He always eager to please customers and do things right.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Touareg TDI
      04-24-2012 03:22 PM #114
      Quote Originally Posted by Kyosho View Post
      I had this same problem...I however was going back and forth calling VWoA to make sure that the car has the hardware capable of accepting travel link, and they at first weren't sure, but later someone confirmed that it did. So it was on to just keep calling Sirius...I called around 20 times in the 2 day, considering I started friday night, and finished saturday morning. I finally got someone from sirius to transfer me to technical support in Sirius, and the guy at technical support was finally able to activate it for me. There is only one radio ID for Sirius...so don't let them confuse you. I was so pissed at everybody, but at least I finally got it to work. It will take some time, but once you get the right person, they will be able to activate it for you. Also, as them to give you a discount for all the frustration you had because of them once you do get it activated.
      Best of luck to you man!
      After calling about 6 or seven times they finally got it activated! Very frustrating experience and I am so tired of that music on hold... Oh well, just glad it works. Thanks all you guys for the words of encouragement!
      Current cars:
      2006 VW Jetta 2.5 (son)
      2007 VW Jetta 2.5 (daughter)
      2010 BMW X5 (wife)
      2012 VW Touareg

10. Member
      Vehicles
      04-24-2012 03:35 PM #115
      Patien, young Jedi, patience!

Quote Originally Posted by segeln4me View Post
      After calling about 6 or seven times they finally got it activated! Very frustrating experience and I am so tired of that music on hold... Oh well, just glad it works. Thanks all you guys for the words of encouragement!

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium Tungsten/Black
      04-24-2012 05:37 PM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by cnnpress View Post
      Patien, young Jedi, patience!

jajajaja good said
      2004 VW Touareg V6 - Traded for the 2006
      2006 VW Touareg V6 - Traded for the Tiguan
      2009 VW 2.0T Jetta Wolfsburg - traded for the Passat
      2012 VW Tiguan 2.0 TSI SEL Premium Nav
      2012 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium w/rear lid spoiler

Vehicles
      2011 CW GTI MT
      04-25-2012 05:42 PM #117
      I just spent 2 hours with Sirius and got no where. I was told the same BS that my unit is not eligible to receive Travel Link and they pinned it on the dealer. I will have to try again this weekend.

On a side note.. after the software update my key fob does not work anymore (no unlock,lock, etc) anybody else experience this?

I will be going back to the dealer tomorrow to find out what the issue is and post back.
      1985 Golf | 1996 Golf | 1997 Jetta Trek | 2005 GTI | 2012 3.6 SEL B7 Passat | '11 CW Autobahn GTI

Vehicles
      04-25-2012 06:08 PM #118
      Quote Originally Posted by veedubcos View Post
      I just spent 2 hours with Sirius and got no where. I was told the same BS that my unit is not eligible to receive Travel Link and they pinned it on the dealer. I will have to try again this weekend.

On a side note.. after the software update my key fob does not work anymore (no unlock,lock, etc) anybody else experience this?

I will be going back to the dealer tomorrow to find out what the issue is and post back.
      I would take it back to dealer. I did not have that problem, and I have KESSY.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      04-25-2012 06:36 PM #119
      I would take it back to dealer. I did not have that problem, and I have KESSY.

Me neither. And I doubt this had anything to do with RNS-510 firmware update.

15. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2013 CC VR6 LUX, 2015 S3 (Ordered)
      04-26-2012 03:00 AM #120
      Is this update solely for the Passat or any VW with the RNS 510 unit? I just bought the 2013 CC VR6 LUX two weeks ago and the navi feels a bit sluggish...especially compared to my prior vehicles with navi ('10 Prius V and '07 TL Type-S). :/

How do I check the version? I want snappy like the iPhone 4S... haha.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat V6 SEL Prem/Nav; 2012 Tiguan SEL Prem/Nav
      04-26-2012 03:26 AM #121
      Quote Originally Posted by the_runner213 View Post
      Is this update solely for the Passat or any VW with the RNS 510 unit? I just bought the 2013 CC VR6 LUX two weeks ago and the navi feels a bit sluggish...especially compared to my prior vehicles with navi ('10 Prius V and '07 TL Type-S). :/

How do I check the version? I want snappy like the iPhone 4S... haha.
      It is a RNS tech bull... Not veh specific. Press and hold the setup button for 20+ sec and release. Should come up with version info... Most newer units do. If not you may have to turn on that feature via VCDS.... Of course by then you can already get the version by also just doing an autoscan.

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Current: 2012 VW Passat SEL Premium; Previous 2004.5 Passat GLX
      04-26-2012 04:42 AM #122
      Just got my 2012 Passat SEL Premium this past weekend (Platinum Grey ext and Titan Black int)

It has the previous xx80 software installed on its RNS510 unit.
      I told them to upgrade it when I picked it up but they told me the Service Dept has the disc and since it was Sunday they were closed and couldnt do it.

I will have it done when I take it back to have the rear spoiler installed

I agree the input is very laggy and sluggish in this xx80 version.

18. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      04-26-2012 04:48 AM #123
      Does the 2012 Passat SEL Premiums get the TravelLink service promo for free to try along with the Sat radio?? or do you have to add that extra?
      I asked them when they updated my Sirius Acct and the tech said it was not compatible w/ my free basic service

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Grand Cherokee Summit 5.7 2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 1998 Acura Integra Type R
      04-26-2012 10:31 AM #124
      Can I check which SW version is on the radio myself? If so, please tell me how. Thanks!

Vehicles
      99 Jetta Dsl;96 GTI;05 Jetta 1.8T;10 Jetta 2.5;11 Tiguan SEL;11 GTI;11 Golf TDI;12 Passat 3.6SEL
      04-26-2012 10:34 AM #125
      Folks... 3390 is still Sluggish... Just adds Travel Link and Voice commands are now actually working.

21. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      04-26-2012 10:46 AM #126
      Quote Originally Posted by cfurman View Post
      Folks... 3390 is still Sluggish... Just adds Travel Link and Voice commands are now actually working.
      Didn't someone say that it was slightly quicker with the update? Perhaps, it was all psychological since we "always" expect an upgrade to be better?? Dang...

22. Member
      Vehicles
      04-26-2012 11:50 AM #127
      Didn't someone say that it was slightly quicker with the update? Perhaps, it was all psychological since we "always" expect an upgrade to be better?? Dang...
      Yes, it is much better in my opinion. And it is 3690, not 3390.

Quote Originally Posted by TypeRod View Post
      Can I check which SW version is on the radio myself? If so, please tell me how. Thanks!
      Press and hold Setup button until you see an icon said version, then click on version, you should be able to see it.

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT
      04-26-2012 11:51 AM #128
      From what I read, (not sure if it was here or elsewhere) but the system responded better once the voice controls was limited to just phone. I would do the update, not for Travel Link, or Voice dialing but for the speed. For me, it's not trouble slow, but if I could be a little faster it would be a benefit.
      ||||||||||||||

Vehicles
      99 Jetta Dsl;96 GTI;05 Jetta 1.8T;10 Jetta 2.5;11 Tiguan SEL;11 GTI;11 Golf TDI;12 Passat 3.6SEL
      04-26-2012 12:33 PM #129
      Can't wait for them to redo the whole thing in 2014 possibly.

25. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      04-26-2012 05:22 PM #130
      Can't wait for them to redo the whole thing in 2014 possibly.
      2014?!?! With today's technology, it's not impossible to speed things up today...I mean, the original iphone from 2007 has a faster response time than the RNS-510, IMO. I know not everyone is apple and we're comparing oranges to apple (no pun intended), but VW has enough capital to at least put a little more into their R&D for their so-called infotainment system...

Vehicles
      04-26-2012 06:06 PM #131
      Well, there was an article I believe in Popular Science showing off VWs next system, which is going to be pretty sweet.. but I guess it will not be ready until 2014 cars (end of 2013 delivery).

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT
      04-26-2012 08:59 PM #132
      I would bet that the new system will be in the new Golf first... but won't be in the rest of the line-up until their next refreshes. The Passat won't be refreshed in 2014 though. Maybe 2015 at the earliest.

As for as the RNS-510 goes... my question is, how long as this system been around, and has it always been slow? Is it JUST in the Passat that is the problem?
      ||||||||||||||

28. Member
      Vehicles
      2008.5 Passat VR6 4Motion/Sport Sedan
      04-27-2012 05:33 AM #133
      I think the 510 has been around since MY2009 or 10, starting with version A. You guys have version E, I have version C (in a B6), released late in 2010. I bought aftermarket and installed myself.

From what I can tell based on what I've read here, version E seems a lot slower than version C, at least when attached to the US B7. While I don't have the rear camara installed, and the Nav part takes a little while to boot up (though not music), the touchscreen and the rest of the device reacts instantly when buttons pressed, switching between screens, entering Nav addresses, etc. Maybe the car's computer is slowing it down? I don't know. But version E was supposed to be (and was tested as) being very fast, faster than C, at least according to vwnavi.com.
      Last edited by gtaylor0; 04-27-2012 at 05:39 AM.

29. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      04-27-2012 11:36 AM #134
      Okay, so I got a chance to check out my version and this is what I saw:

(i'll skip the delivery version)
      HW-Version: H61
      SW-Version: 3690
      Active map coverage: North America
      Active map supplier: Navteq
      Map version HDD: 7565

Is this similar to the new passats or is it different for the CC?

I'm guessing I got the latest firmware then. Hmm...still seem a bit sluggish, regardless... :/

30. Member
      Vehicles
      04-27-2012 01:08 PM #135
      If you ever uses version 3680 or older, you would know the pain.

Okay, so I got a chance to check out my version and this is what I saw:

(i'll skip the delivery version)
      HW-Version: H61
      SW-Version: 3690
      Active map coverage: North America
      Active map supplier: Navteq
      Map version HDD: 7565

Is this similar to the new passats or is it different for the CC?

I'm guessing I got the latest firmware then. Hmm...still seem a bit sluggish, regardless... :/

Vehicles
      2011 CW GTI MT
      04-27-2012 01:12 PM #136
      Update:

Sirius TravelLink is finally activated and working. After countless failed attempts, I completed their customer service survey that they emailed me after my first few tries. In that survey, I let them know how I felt about Sirius and their poor/non-existant customer service.

A couple hours later I received a call from corporate apologizing. I mentioned to them that the radio is in fact TravelLink ready and some people on this forum have it working. The tech agreed, and within 2 minutes got me up and running.

Hopefully this will help some of you that are still looking at getting this feature activated.

As for my kessy/fob not working after the 3690 update..I just had to manually reset my key/fob. All works like a charm now.

1985 Golf | 1996 Golf | 1997 Jetta Trek | 2005 GTI | 2012 3.6 SEL B7 Passat | '11 CW Autobahn GTI

32. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      04-27-2012 01:40 PM #137
      for those that get them to activate Sirius link, can you ask them to put in a note to their supervisors/programmers to change their internal system so they know the RNS510 / VW Passats ARE capable of using this service, so 100 other members here dont have to annoy them with the same issue?

Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SEL, 2010 Jetta TDI w/DSG
      04-27-2012 03:59 PM #138
      Quote Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
      for those that get them to activate Sirius link, can you ask them to put in a note to their supervisors/programmers to change their internal system so they know the RNS510 / VW Passats ARE capable of using this service, so 100 other members here dont have to annoy them with the same issue?
      I actually did this along with providing them a copy of letter from VW for the service. Apparently it made no difference in the process. Activating Travel Link is like playing slots at Vegas, you just keep pull the handle (phone) until you get the payoff (Sirius rep with any knowledge).

Vehicles
      2011 CW GTI MT
      04-27-2012 07:25 PM #139
      Quote Originally Posted by darrelld View Post
      I actually did this along with providing them a copy of letter from VW for the service. Apparently it made no difference in the process. Activating Travel Link is like playing slots at Vegas, you just keep pull the handle (phone) until you get the payoff (Sirius rep with any knowledge).
      I did as well.. I mentioned others have are going through the same issue. Hopefully they update their "compatible car"TravelLink list. Their "techs" are simply going off a script. If the car is not on their list.. youre not eligible for service

35. 05-02-2012 04:48 PM #140
      I can now finally confirm that travel link works perfectly. After3 hours on the phone this morning w/ sirius, and vw, Sirius finally figured out that they never added subscription for travel link. Took 5 different representative at Sirius to realize that! Well now it is CONFIRMED that it works, and it is really cool! I really like it and am glad that I finally figured out the problem.

Hope all of you don't get into such problems that I did, because last night, Sirius told me that I need a new radio to have travel link. When I heard that, I was extreme p/o ed. But now I know it was all BS. Lol. If anybody has questions or similar problems, post them, and I will try to help!
      I would really like to know what you said exactly to get this done and to what number at Sirius (India call center???) as I have spoken with 2 or 3 different people and there is an escalated trouble ticket for me but still have no resolution.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast