Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: From Michael: I am going to be away for a while

1. Member
      Vehicles
      May 04 V8
      03-12-2012 05:04 PM #26
      Well, if you detect the puncture before the tyre goes completely flat, I believe the tyre structure is not damaged, and placing a new cylinder of rubber inside a well prepared hole should be a safe repair, provided the puncture was not too close to the sides of the tyres. This happened to one of my tyres, that suddenly started losing pressure. I went to a tyre shop, we found that a screw was in the tyre. I got it repaired before it went flat, and I am now happy to drive my car at German motorway speeds without fear...

Vehicles
      2015 Golf Highline
      03-14-2012 09:15 AM #27
      Hi Everyone:

I have made it as far as Pohnpei (Federated States of Micronesia) on my delivery flight, and hope to make it to Tahiti by the weekend. Once I get there, I will start re-hosting the photos.

Tomorrow I will be in Tarawa Island, Kiribati, next day in Funafuti (no idea what country that is), day after that in Pago Pago, American Samoa, then finally in Tahiti by the weekend.

It has been one heck of a long flight. I have not seen any Phaetons along the way. Then again, I have not seen much along the way, other than a volcano in Japan that was belching smoke. Mostly all I see out the window is water...

Michael

3. Member
      Vehicles
      May 04 V8
      03-14-2012 09:34 AM #28
      I hope for you your plane can fly horizontally on one engine only...

Good luck !

P.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Phaeton V8 Mirror Silver, 2006 Touareg V10 TDI Off-Road Grey, 2008 Diamond DA40 XLS (airplane)
      03-16-2012 10:30 PM #29
      Michael:

If I didn't know better, your picture seems to show a new Viking Air Twin Otter
      http://www.vikingair.com/content.aspx?id=276. That's one heck of a paint job...

Is it fair to assume you've been piloting the Twin Otter around and across the Pacific? As a small plane owner (of a Diamond DA40, also built in Canada) and flight instructor, I'm *extremely* jealous of your trip. And to think you probably even get *paid* to ferry a plane to Tahiti! Where do I sign up?

Hope you're having a great time in the islands.

- Dave

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 VW P W12 LWB, 2006 VW T V8 OP5, 2008 smart FT i3 Cabrio
      03-17-2012 06:35 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by PanEuropean View Post

Such nice paint.

On both.

Vehicles
      2015 Golf Highline
      04-10-2012 05:23 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by uberanalyst View Post
      ...Is it fair to assume you've been piloting the Twin Otter around and across the Pacific?
      Yep - see the route image below.

Quote Originally Posted by uberanalyst View Post
      ...I'm *extremely* jealous of your trip. And to think you probably even get *paid* to ferry a plane to Tahiti! Where do I sign up?
      Your enthusiasm would diminish very quickly once the first few days of the journey had passed. Staying in hotels in Siberia when the OAT is -35, staying in hotels in some rat-hole island in the South Pacific where the hotel hasn't been renovated since WW II, flying 80 hours in 12 days, etc. - it's not quite as much fun as it sounds. Not to mention that the Twin Otter doesn't fly much faster than the DA40 (at about 160 KTAS, the Twin Otter might even be slower...)

I posted a blog about an earlier flight I made along more or less the same route back in January at a Canadian aviation website - if you are interested in reading about it, here is the link: Twin Otter Ferry Flight.

Anyway - I finished that 'round the world' trip (came home to Canada via Easter Island and Chile), and now have about a week off before the next ferry (to Europe). So, I'll now try to get caught up on some of the photo hosting here in our forum.

Michael

Vehicles
      2005 Phaeton V10 swb 4-seat, Jeep Commander Hemi, Ssangyong Korando
      04-10-2012 07:59 PM #32
      I enjoyed your blog for that previous ferry, thanks for the link. It shows the level of professionalism that is deployed in carrying out a 'fun' (?) assignment.

Chris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12