Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Diagnostics Plug Type For Passat 2003

1. 03-04-2012 03:19 PM #1
      Hi!

I have a German made Passat 2003 1.9 TDI. It has a violet 16 pin connector, but I don't know which plug version it is.

I want to buy a wireless connector to connect my Ipod to read info about the car. Hopefully, it is OBD2 connector type.

Does anyone actually know which connector type it is?

Thanx

Vehicles
      '67 Ford Mustang Conv.
      03-05-2012 08:21 AM #2
      All our KEY/KII, HEX and HEX+CAN Systems will work fine on your car. If you're looking for a EOBD (European Cars don't use the same OBD2 as US models) you may be out of luck since EOBD wasn't required until 2004 and a 2003 models is unlikely to have full support. VCDS on the other hand will (as said) work just fine.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Jetta 1.8T; 01 TT 225Q
      03-06-2012 09:42 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by cibin View Post
      I want to buy a wireless connector to connect my Ipod to read info about the car. Hopefully, it is OBD2 connector type.

Does anyone actually know which connector type it is?
      I'm using the torque app on my android-based phone, with a Bluetooth wireless interface that works great. The interface or chipset I got was known as "ELM 327", which seems to be a pretty commonly available unit in the normal budget-gadget channels.

Works with my 01 Jetta, 01 TT, and my Honda vehicles.

Vehicles
      '67 Ford Mustang Conv.
      03-06-2012 09:56 AM #4
      Charlie, the app your recommending is OBD2/EOBD and the same applies to the ELM based hardware you are using. However, as stated above European Diesel models simply did not properly support EOBD until 2004. Of course he can give it a try anyway but functionality will be very limited if it works at all.

As a side note, stay away from eBay auctions of ELM327 based devices as most of these are fakes/illegal copies.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Jetta 1.8T; 01 TT 225Q
      03-06-2012 10:12 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Theresias View Post
      Charlie, the app your recommending is OBD2/EOBD and the same applies to the ELM based hardware you are using. However, as stated above European Diesel models simply did not properly support EOBD until 2004. Of course he can give it a try anyway but functionality will be very limited if it works at all.
      Ah, OK, I didn't realize that was the case. Sounds like VCDS on a small netbook is a good option for OP, unless there is a RossTech BT interface around the corner

Vehicles
      '67 Ford Mustang Conv.
      03-06-2012 10:14 AM #6

7. 03-11-2012 10:03 AM #7
      I read that Diesel vehicles in Europe didn't NECESSARILY have the EODB plub before 2004. But I was hoping that someone with the same/similar vehicle would give me a definite answer.

The plug looks like ODB2/EODB - with 16 pins. But still don't know if it is.

So, here is what I REALLY want: My Passat doesn't have the fuel consumption meter (it's called on-board computer I believe).

Is there any way I can get to know how much fuel my car consumes (instant and average)? Please no refuel suggestions.

Theresias, thank you, but I don't really understand "All our KEY/KII, HEX and HEX+CAN Systems will work fine on your car." Can you suggest "the thing" that I can connect to my car and possibly read fuel consumption?

Thanx everyone!