Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: First vacation as a parent

Hybrid View

03-05-2012 12:52 PM #1
      Hey, First time posting in here. This summer my son is going to be one. I really would like to take him and the wife on some sort of vacation this fall? I was thinking of some kind of cabin camping on the shore of a lake like Lake George? I saw Lake George because that's the only lake I know in the Adks.

Does anyone have any other good suggestions or locations I should look into?

Thanks all!!

03-05-2012 03:53 PM #2
      Take him someplace the wife will like .

The kid won't remember anything for the next 10 years lol

3. Member
      03-06-2012 10:50 AM #3
      As weird as it is, Chilledman is absolutely correct. Go somewhere you two will enjoy, but that will allow you to have a one year old around.

4. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      03-06-2012 11:07 AM #4
      We took our son to Disney when he was 1. IMO, total waste.

Chilled and Papa already said it. Go somewhere you two want to go, just make sure it's kid friendly.

03-06-2012 09:56 PM #5
      Yeah don't go to hedonism they are kid making friendly but that's where they draw the line lol

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2 Miatas, 2 Saabs, & a G35 sedan
      03-14-2012 09:06 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by rustywoodstone View Post
      Hey, First time posting in here. This summer my son is going to be one. I really would like to take him and the wife on some sort of vacation this fall?
      If you do go camping, just let him play in the dirt and have fun. Remember, at that age, going to the grocery store is a major event, so don't think he's going to have some awesome life experience "the time we all went camping when I was 1".

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta WE
      03-16-2012 11:57 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
      If you do go camping, just let him play in the dirt and have fun. Remember, at that age, going to the grocery store is a major event, so don't think he's going to have some awesome life experience "the time we all went camping when I was 1".
      And potentially have a play pen or kid fence ready to set up. I think I made a post in here a long time ago about the first camping trip I took my 1.5 year (at the time) on. She was on the go NON STOP. I could not keep her at our camp site and I finally needed a break. It was the only time I ever used a play pen but had to do it so I could have a breather and to keep her safe (near bluffs and the ocean).

It was fun and I am sure she had fun in her toddler mind but as said above, she won't remember any of it.
      Th(e/a)n

03-16-2012 01:27 PM #8
      1. Get one of those kid harness
      2. Get a long rope
      3. Attach to kid
      4. Attach to tree
      5.????
      6. Freedom

03-16-2012 03:23 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by BlckBadged_SwissChee View Post
      And potentially have a play pen or kid fence ready to set up. I think I made a post in here a long time ago about the first camping trip I took my 1.5 year (at the time) on. She was on the go NON STOP. I could not keep her at our camp site and I finally needed a break. It was the only time I ever used a play pen but had to do it so I could have a breather and to keep her safe (near bluffs and the ocean).

It was fun and I am sure she had fun in her toddler mind but as said above, she won't remember any of it.
      I see nothing wrong with that.

Last summer I came home to an exasperated wife and a 1.5yo in a pack'n'play with about 100 of those semi-hard plastic balls they sell by the bag at wally-world. Wife was worn out, daughter was enjoying an impromptu ball-pit without making a mess or running around like a crazed animal.

10. Member BlckBadged_SwissChee's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Jetta WE
      03-17-2012 03:55 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      I see nothing wrong with that.

Last summer I came home to an exasperated wife and a 1.5yo in a pack'n'play with about 100 of those semi-hard plastic balls they sell by the bag at wally-world. Wife was worn out, daughter was enjoying an impromptu ball-pit without making a mess or running around like a crazed animal.
      That is an awesome idea, wish I would have thought of that.
      Th(e/a)n

Vehicles
      Sidan
      03-19-2012 09:37 PM #11
      Lake Minnewaska is really pretty, and I think a little bit closer to Jersey than Lake George
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnewa..._Park_Preserve

I'm not sure if there is camping there, but I assume there must be.

Mohonk Mountain is literally awesome, but is pricey:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohonk_Mountain_House

We went to Mohonk with our son when he was maybe 2, and it was pretty friendly for that. Everyone was pretty chill about kids, there. It seems ultra stodgy when you roll up, but everyone was seriously cool.