Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Daughters Jetta

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta VR6 12v 2000 Ford F250 Diesel 4x4 2007 Ford Focus 1982 Ford F250 1956 Willys
      04-01-2012 07:44 PM #36
      Got the ARP headstuds finally. top end done. Getting the cams lined up was a PITA, and took 3 tries, but all good now. Then while bolting on the upper cam cover, dropped the cap from the sealant down the big oil drainback hole in the head and it is now in the pan. So going to pull the pan again...

Then to bolt on the externals and start the auto tranny rebuild.....

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta VR6 12v 2000 Ford F250 Diesel 4x4 2007 Ford Focus 1982 Ford F250 1956 Willys
      04-27-2012 11:35 PM #37
      Success!!!

It lives! Two months of mostly waiting on mail order parts, but she runs. Didn't want to start at first, had to prime the fuel system(key on/off) a few times then started making sounds like she wanted to start. Then one cylinder caught and stopped the starter. Ooppps. I had two of the coil wires reversed from the ICM to the coil(new Accel coil with custom wires). Swapped them and she fired up. Lots of clatter from the top end. Hmmm. Must be the lifters. Revved it up to 2k for a bit and the clatter went away. A few minutes later, smoke.... No problem, just the oil/antisieze on the exhaust manifold. No leaks below. No lights on the dash. Yay!

Transmission was a whole nother story. I had dumped a gallon of ATF in after the rebuild and on the test drive, she would rev first and then thunk into second. Hmmm. Better check the level. Ended up adding another full quart. Second test drive, all good. No missed shifts, no lights, and nice smooth driving. Wife has it now getting diapers for the granddaughter.

Parts used:

ARP rods bolts
      ARP head studs
      stock replacement valves
      new guides
      head decked .008"
      5 angle valve job
      Victor Reinz head gasket
      metal impeller water pump
      all new chains and guides
      Accel coil and custom wires
      All new vacuum lines
      Gruvenparts billet crack pipe
      new thermostat housing
      new tstat
      new green temp sender
      new belt tensioner
      Polyurethane dogbone bushings
      Full Transtar trans rebuild kit with steels and diaphragms (Borg Warner clutches and Raybestos steels)
      all new solenoids
      Sonnax valves and install kit
      new solenoid harness(not ribbon)
      and more I can't think of now.

Most of the parts came from MJM and ECS. Machine work by Brown's Machine. Trans parts from Bulkpart.com. and Ebay.

But mostly I want to thank all the people that submitted DIYs. That info was instrumental to this rebuild happening. Your hard work to help others is recognized and prized by me.

Tomorrow it goes in for an emissions test to get the tabs renewed. Crossing my fingers.....

Vehicles
      Mk4 Getta VR
      04-28-2012 10:47 AM #38
      ^ i wish my dad would have helped me do all that work hahaha :thumb up:

good stuff though

Vehicles
      04-28-2012 05:25 PM #39
      All is not as good as first thought....

there is a small oil leak somewhere...

And the wonderful Emissions Workshop came up right as I was pulling into the emissions test station. Didn't bother testing it. Got home and scanned code P1136. Looked around and found one vacuum hose loose. Cleared the light and sent wife out with it to put some miles on it. She just texted the lights came back on. Going to reclean and test the MAF and then spray down the vacuum hoses and injectors with carb spray. Hope its not the fuel pump..... Maybe the SAI..... The SAI fan runs, and the valve works with my MityVac, but not sure the solenoid works.

Vehicles
      Mk4 Getta VR
      04-29-2012 12:55 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Stangrcr1 View Post

where does the oil look like its coming from?

6. Member
      Vehicles
      99 Passat 1.8T
      04-29-2012 07:32 AM #41

And the wonderful Emissions Workshop came up right as I was pulling into the emissions test station. Didn't bother testing it. Got home and scanned code P1136. Looked around and found one vacuum hose loose. Cleared the light and sent wife out with it to put some miles on it. She just texted the lights came back on. Going to reclean and test the MAF and then spray down the vacuum hoses and injectors with carb spray. Hope its not the fuel pump..... Maybe the SAI..... The SAI fan runs, and the valve works with my MityVac, but not sure the solenoid works.

Use the mityvac to verify the solenoid valve can hold a vacuum. Also electrically test the solenoid. It's common for the solenoid to electrically fail, but it can also be electrically functional but have a leak.

Vehicles
      04-29-2012 01:12 PM #42
      The oil is coming down between the engine and trans. Not a lot, but enough for a couple drops on the driveway.

As far as the P1136...

Did you ever take something apart 2 months ago and then try to put it back together without a vacuum diagram on the lock carrier? There are a couple of the little squares left but most of it is gone. All better now. Cleared code and the kids(daughter, her husband and the granddaughter) put another 50 miles on the car trying to get the drive cycles done for the emissions test. Kids are saying the mileage is now about double what it was getting before the rebuild. They say it would have used over half a tank for 100 miles but now used less than 1/4 for the same trip.

Car has over 100 miles on the new motor and tranny and all now looks good. Cept the oil leak...

Speaking of emissions testing in Washington, it looks like all they do now is hook a scanner to the OBD2 port and if the car's computer says it is good, then it passes. Hope to find out Monday if that is true.

Vehicles
      04-30-2012 08:25 PM #43
      Jetta passed emissions this morning.

Haven't found the oil leak yet. Not worrying about it right now.

As an FYI, the state of Washington emissions testing is now nothing more than plugging into the OBD port and if the car's computer says it is good, then it passes. No more sniffer.

Vehicles
      Mk4 Getta VR
      04-30-2012 10:01 PM #44
      As an FYI, the state of Washington emissions testing is now nothing more than plugging into the OBD port and if the car's computer says it is good, then it passes. No more sniffer.
      the funny thing is I'm in cali where the smog check is the devil.. luckily i know people with a shop and even with the "illegal modifications" on it, i pass the sniffer with better % and ppm then all stock cars

Vehicles
      05-01-2012 11:11 PM #45
      Looks like here if the car's computer says all is good, it passes. This saves the state on individual testing of the exhaust on all cars. Saves time in the line, prevents issues with the sniffer(less maintenance), wear on the dyno, and generally saves the state $$$.

I am sure they still have to sniff some cars. My diesel gets a check for black soot, and the rest of my vehicles are exempt for being old. The Wife's Focus should be due this summer for it's smog check. Should be another plug in and pass.

If I lived 20 miles north or 10 miles east, I would not have checks....

Jetta is running good. 220 miles so far....

Vehicles
      09 rabbit (totaled) 08 GTI (sold) 97 GTI VR (sploded) 96 GTI VR (sold) 10 Gti foe doe
      05-01-2012 11:43 PM #46
      for a local dubber, nice work on the rebuild too
      IG: colin_farrell

Vehicles
      06-24-2012 09:13 PM #47
      Mtn, thanks.

No major issues at 2k miles on the new motor/trans.

Kids are saying high 20's on mileage, so not great but good. Still have to fix the power windows....

I never did put the engine cover back on. I tried but it won't fit with the Accel coil and custom wires. It's just a beauty cover anyway.

Still drips oil. Less than 1 quart in those 2k miles, so I am not worrying about it yet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12