Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 18 of 18

    Thread: To all suspension gurus: I need some info

    1. Banner Advertiser tcardio@DublinVW's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 19th, 2009
      Location
      Kickin it with MKIM
      Posts
      2,659
      03-06-2012 12:40 AM #1
      So I have H&R street perf coilovers. I am tired of the progressive rate characteristics. I'm wondering if anyone has fitted linear springs to their coilover setup. I am calling H&R to ask about their 2.5 I.D. springs. I suppose I should just buy a linear coilover setup and skip the hybrid method. Wonder how this thread will turn out LOL

    2. Member RedLineRob's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 8th, 2009
      Location
      San Francisco
      Posts
      1,501
      Vehicles
      2012 A3 Quattro
      03-06-2012 02:41 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by tcardio View Post
      So I have H&R street perf coilovers. I am tired of the progressive rate characteristics. I'm wondering if anyone has fitted linear springs to their coilover setup. I am calling H&R to ask about their 2.5 I.D. springs. I suppose I should just buy a linear coilover setup and skip the hybrid method. Wonder how this thread will turn out LOL
      Im going with some bilstein PSS10's that way i can easily adjust the dampening

    3. Banner Advertiser tcardio@DublinVW's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 19th, 2009
      Location
      Kickin it with MKIM
      Posts
      2,659
      03-06-2012 04:42 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by RedLineRob View Post
      Im going with some bilstein PSS10's that way i can easily adjust the dampening
      I guess that helps me

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 26th, 2012
      Location
      New Slowmyrna Beach
      Posts
      131
      Vehicles
      2006 a3 Ibis, 2004 honduh s2k, 2006 oddy
      03-06-2012 07:07 AM #4
      I don't have the H&R set up, but I am able to swap springs at will on my KW V3s on my other car. I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to do the same on your set up.

    5. Member JRutter's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 25th, 2009
      Location
      Bellingham, WA
      Posts
      2,814
      Vehicles
      07 A3 3.2
      03-06-2012 09:55 AM #5
      I'm wondering the same thing. There is some data in a suspension spec thread in the Mk5 R32 forum, but not much...
      A VR6 AWD w/ lots of goodies

    6. Member Maitre Absolut's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2009
      Location
      Montreal
      Posts
      1,317
      Vehicles
      2014 S4, 2013 Q5
      03-06-2012 09:56 AM #6
      so whats the bad side to progessive springs?
      14 S4
      13 Q5 S-Line

    7. Member t_white's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 9th, 2006
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      16,017
      Vehicles
      R32, Jetta coupe
      03-06-2012 01:53 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Maitre Absolut View Post
      so whats the bad side to progessive springs?
      im trying to figure out that myself


      if you want linear springs then measure them and figure out a spring rate you want, then buy some from one of many websites (including ebay).

    8. Member RedLineRob's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 8th, 2009
      Location
      San Francisco
      Posts
      1,501
      Vehicles
      2012 A3 Quattro
      03-06-2012 07:23 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by tcardio View Post
      I guess that helps me
      When i had my KWV1's I called KW because i too wanted to pair the coils up with different springs and they told me the coils are designed for one type of spring only, and that they dont recommend changing them out, and they didn't make any other types of spring for that particular coil-over. So im guessing H&R's are the same way your best bet would to call H&R

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 26th, 2012
      Location
      New Slowmyrna Beach
      Posts
      131
      Vehicles
      2006 a3 Ibis, 2004 honduh s2k, 2006 oddy
      03-06-2012 10:00 PM #9
      As the owner of KW V3s I can tell you that swapping out spring rates is common practice and yet another way to tune a car for optimal handling. There are many springs available for the KW set ups. What comes with it are optimal for aggressive street usage/ occaisonal track usage.

      The reason for linear springs is so that the spring rate remains consistent throughout compression, and is therefore more predictable. Progressive springs on the other hand increase stiffness as they compress and can often lead to "unpredictable" handling behavior. (the car can suddenly understeer or oversteer based on compression) These springs also go from soft to hard in a hurry on a bump, whereas the linear springs will have consistent hardness throughout the "bump."

      YMMV.

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 26th, 2012
      Location
      New Slowmyrna Beach
      Posts
      131
      Vehicles
      2006 a3 Ibis, 2004 honduh s2k, 2006 oddy
      03-06-2012 10:25 PM #10
      ...that said, some drivers prefer the progressive springs because the more body roll in a turn, the more "push" the spring gives back. So progressive springs can be very useful for drivers who are expecting the extra resistance. But they are not as comfortable on the street.

    11. 03-06-2012 10:42 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Willie Gee View Post
      ...that said, some drivers prefer the progressive springs because the more body roll in a turn, the more "push" the spring gives back. So progressive springs can be very useful for drivers who are expecting the extra resistance. But they are not as comfortable on the street.
      puhhleasee, my v3's are girlfriend approved. the ride is awesome, however, with that said. i have had one instance where the rear was about to snap around on me but some steering and throttle eliminated this. i have ridden in sabba's JIC Cross car and can say, that it will re arrange your spine. unless you are going full track beast i would stick to progressive springs and switch from HR to a more track/aggresive driving setup a la KW v3

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 26th, 2012
      Location
      New Slowmyrna Beach
      Posts
      131
      Vehicles
      2006 a3 Ibis, 2004 honduh s2k, 2006 oddy
      03-06-2012 10:48 PM #12
      "as" comfortable. The KW V3's are VERY adjustable right out of the box, and even with the yellow springs that come with set, you can create a very capable handling car. But the big boys play with different springs and spring rates on the car. Given that the V3s can be as agressive as you want, or need them to be. I've had a ton of luck with mine, and would never take them off my sports car.

    13. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 26th, 2012
      Location
      New Slowmyrna Beach
      Posts
      131
      Vehicles
      2006 a3 Ibis, 2004 honduh s2k, 2006 oddy
      03-06-2012 10:52 PM #13
      I think the OP is looking for a softer ride, IE not as agressive and one with more predictability. That's certainly the route I am looking for in my Audi A3. It's got a nice supple comfort factor to it that I don't want to lose.

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 16th, 2007
      Location
      Modesto
      Posts
      2,530
      03-06-2012 11:05 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by TechnikSLR View Post
      puhhleasee, my v3's are girlfriend approved. the ride is awesome, however, with that said. i have had one instance where the rear was about to snap around on me but some steering and throttle eliminated this. i have ridden in sabba's JIC Cross car and can say, that it will re arrange your spine. unless you are going full track beast i would stick to progressive springs and switch from HR to a more track/aggresive driving setup a la KW v3
      One instance? Son, the A3 is famous for off-throttle oversteer on stock suspension.

    15. Member JRutter's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 25th, 2009
      Location
      Bellingham, WA
      Posts
      2,814
      Vehicles
      07 A3 3.2
      03-06-2012 11:52 PM #15
      Tom, I don't know how the H&R is, but I feel like with my PSS10s, which have the same springs for all Mk5 chassis, the softer end of the progressive spring is all used up with static weight on the 3.2 + quattro. Any bump is already in the stiff zone. They feel great on the track though. So I'm interested in finding a linear spring that can split the difference. Comfortable enough for daily driving, but still capable for track days.
      A VR6 AWD w/ lots of goodies

    16. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 26th, 2012
      Location
      New Slowmyrna Beach
      Posts
      131
      Vehicles
      2006 a3 Ibis, 2004 honduh s2k, 2006 oddy
      03-07-2012 10:28 AM #16
      Call the gurus and Shox.com They are very knowledgeable when it comes to springs and coilovers. I'm sure a brief conversation will enable the two of you to customize your coilovers to your liking.

    17. Member RedLineRob's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 8th, 2009
      Location
      San Francisco
      Posts
      1,501
      Vehicles
      2012 A3 Quattro
      03-07-2012 01:17 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by JRutter View Post
      Tom, I don't know how the H&R is, but I feel like with my PSS10s, which have the same springs for all Mk5 chassis, the softer end of the progressive spring is all used up with static weight on the 3.2 + quattro. Any bump is already in the stiff zone. They feel great on the track though. So I'm interested in finding a linear spring that can split the difference. Comfortable enough for daily driving, but still capable for track days.
      im thinking of getting those same coils your on, how do they feel around town and what number did you set the dampening for daily driving?

    18. Member JRutter's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 25th, 2009
      Location
      Bellingham, WA
      Posts
      2,814
      Vehicles
      07 A3 3.2
      03-07-2012 02:17 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by RedLineRob View Post
      im thinking of getting those same coils your on, how do they feel around town and what number did you set the dampening for daily driving?
      I just leave them midrange: 7 F, 5 R I find them a bit harsh around town, but this car is heavier - they are more designed for GTI/A3 FWD.

      Dave (crew219) has them on his 2.0 I believe.
      A VR6 AWD w/ lots of goodies

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •