Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2006 VW Polo 1.9TDI 100 Sport - ticking noise from engine

1. 03-06-2012 05:47 PM #1
      Hi guys newbie here so big hello to you all !

I'm looking for some thoughts / advice on the above vehicle.

The above car has 50K on the clock with a full VW history, recent cambelt kit fitted including tensioner, idler & waterpump (genuine VW parts).

I'm aware that these 1.9 TDI engines aint the quietest of motors especially when cold.... however when driving i can hear a slight ticking noise which sounds like it coming from the front of the car towards the right hand side as im sat in it. ( Can be heard when engine is hot or cold ).

When I stand outside the car and rev it the motor sounds sweet with no signs of this noise in question... so i'm wondering is it just a vibration noise coming through the dash when driving ?

Incidentally this noise could be heard before the cambelt change and is still there now.

I have owned a TDI before ( VW Bora 130 Highline) and don't remember any noises like this, the noise isn't particularly bad but never the less can be heard.

Am I worrying unnecessarily ?

Look forward to your replies

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2013 TDI SEL PREMIUM 2013 TDI SE MT
      03-13-2012 10:21 AM #2
      I'm unclear as to whether you changed the cam, along with the usual timing components, or changed only the belt, water pump, and rollers.

If the former I wouldn't suspect a cam problem. If the latter it's time to pop the valve cover and inspect the cam and lifters.

The next possibility is the DMF (Dual Mass Flywheel). These are a known problem and often give away their condition by giving off a tick or rattle. If your DMF is in failure mode it would probably be best to address the problem as soon as possible. The reason being that your transmission case is the preferred target for errant flywheel components.